Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

reading list?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Empires in Arms the Napoleonic Wars of 1805 - 1815 >> reading list? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
reading list? - 1/6/2009 6:28:12 AM   
ndrose

As I become involved in this hobby, I find myself wishing to compile a reading list to better inform myself about the period. I have a reasonably good background in history, but my knowledge of the Napoleonic Era is mainly derived from more general histories (and Tolstoy), and I'd like some more specialized reading, especially on the military side.

Some books I have tentatively on my list, which I'd like to solicit the group's opinion about:

Horne, The Age of Napoleon
Howarth, Trafalgar: The Nelson Touch
Johnson, Napoleon: A Life (hostile bio, I gather)
Markham, Napoleon
Nicolson, Napoleon: 1812

I'd also be grateful for other recommendations.

Nathan
Post #: 1
RE: reading list? - 1/6/2009 8:21:57 AM   
DCWhitworth

Not a book, but you could try this - http://napoleon.thepodcastnetwork.com/

Features the aforesaid Mr Markham.

Regards
David

(in reply to ndrose)
Post #: 2
RE: reading list? - 1/6/2009 8:34:53 AM   
ndrose

Thanks, David. That looks like an interesting site.

Seems to be a different Markham, though. The book I have is an older one, by Felix Markham.

Nathan

(in reply to DCWhitworth)
Post #: 3
RE: reading list? - 1/6/2009 9:02:08 AM   
DCWhitworth

Ah yes, this is J David Markham. I've found it to be very good, but perhaps to be taken with a pinch of salt because it's definitely pro-Napoleon.

I've been a fan of Napoleonic history since childhood, but the area I'm most familiar with is the Waterloo campaign, however the podcast made some startling errors in this section so it made me question how accurate the other sections are. However it is a really good account of Napoleon's career. I've got it on my mobile phone and I'm steadily working my way through the episodes.

Regards
David

(in reply to ndrose)
Post #: 4
RE: reading list? - 1/6/2009 10:41:08 AM   
hellfirejet

Hello Nathan,

I can highly recommend NELSONS NAVY by Brian Lavery this reference book covers the entire Napoleonic wars The ships,men and organisation 1792 - 1815 all aspects of the naval side of the conflict, is covered including information on foreign navys.

Regards,
Graham.

I'm not retreating, I'm attacking in a different direction! Lewis B. "Chesty" Puller

(in reply to ndrose)
Post #: 5
RE: reading list? - 1/6/2009 1:15:11 PM   
WJPalmer1

A book referenced several times in J. David Markham's Napoleon 101 podcasts as "must reading" is The Campaigns of Napoleon, by David G. Chandler (lot's of "Davids" here, if you've noticed!). It is well written and abounds with maps, Napoleonic doctrine and tactical discussions.

Ron

(in reply to ndrose)
Post #: 6
RE: reading list? - 1/6/2009 2:08:08 PM   
DCWhitworth

quote:

ORIGINAL: exp101

A book referenced several times in J. David Markham's Napoleon 101 podcasts as "must reading" is The Campaigns of Napoleon, by David G. Chandler (lot's of "Davids" here, if you've noticed!). It is well written and abounds with maps, Napoleonic doctrine and tactical discussions.

Ron

I can second this, I have a copy. It is a weighty tome, literally.

And I have to credit Ron with pointing me at the Napoleon 101 podcasts originally.

Regards
David

(in reply to WJPalmer1)
Post #: 7
RE: reading list? - 1/6/2009 3:10:31 PM   
ndrose

Thanks for these suggestions. I will put in some orders at the library. Another one I have coming is Napoleon's Wars: An International History, by Charles Esdaile.

Nathan

(in reply to ndrose)
Post #: 8
RE: reading list? - 1/6/2009 4:43:44 PM   
anarchyintheuk

I'd recommend the West Point Atlas for the Wars of Napoleon. It has outstanding maps and good commentary.

(in reply to ndrose)
Post #: 9
RE: reading list? - 1/7/2009 12:10:19 AM   
no_dice

Two books worth a look are

(Lord?) Alan Palmer's "Napoleon in Russia" (Read it and you to will also want the EIA Russian infantry/artillery to be 4.0 and perhaps 4.5 in Russia!)

David hamilton-Williams' "The Fall of Napoleon" (Picks up at the end of 1812 and has some very good info on the political situation he faced)

No Dice

(in reply to anarchyintheuk)
Post #: 10
RE: reading list? - 1/7/2009 2:01:20 AM   
pzgndr

I've read three Napoleonic books in the past year since getting hooked on EiA.  "The War of Wars" by Robert Harvey was very good and I thought was very well balanced.  "The Napoleonic Wars" by Gregory Fremont-Barnes and Todd Fisher is also a good solid reference, an Osprey book.  "The Wars Against Napoleon" by Michael Franceschi and Ben Wilder was interesting but seemed much too emotional and biased toward Napoleon; I did not find the authors' argument compelling.  One of these days I'll find and read David Chandler's book; that one keeps getting recommended.

(in reply to no_dice)
Post #: 11
RE: reading list? - 1/7/2009 8:14:40 AM   
DCWhitworth

If you want a good assessment of the British Navy and its development and what made it tick, try 'Men of Honour' by Adam Nicolson. It really explains why the British Navy was superior to the others.

Regards
David

(in reply to pzgndr)
Post #: 12
RE: reading list? - 1/7/2009 8:30:21 AM   
ndrose

Quite a family, those Nicolsons. The book _Napoleon: 1812_ I mentioned above is by Adam Nicolson's father, Nigel Nicolson, who was the son of Harold Nicolson and Vita Sackville-West (the quasi-subject of Virginia Woolf's _Orlando_). Harold Nicolson, too, wrote a Napoleonic book, which I read long ago, about the Congress of Vienna.

Nathan

(in reply to DCWhitworth)
Post #: 13
RE: reading list? - 1/7/2009 8:34:22 AM   
DCWhitworth

I wondered if they were related. I've got the book on the Congress of Vienna too.

Regards
David

(in reply to ndrose)
Post #: 14
RE: reading list? - 1/7/2009 2:25:12 PM   
iamspamus

Yep, a good one. I have it too. If I remember when I get home, I'll go and look up some of my Nap books.

Jason

quote:

ORIGINAL: exp101

Ron

(in reply to WJPalmer1)
Post #: 15
RE: reading list? - 1/15/2009 8:31:57 PM   
hellfirejet

Hi Nathan,

These 2 books give an excellant perspective of the campaign, from both the land war and sea war side of things.

Navies of the Napoleonic era & Armies of the Napoleonic era both by Digby Smith.

< Message edited by hellfirejet -- 1/15/2009 8:32:13 PM >

Regards,
Graham.

I'm not retreating, I'm attacking in a different direction! Lewis B. "Chesty" Puller

(in reply to iamspamus)
Post #: 16
RE: reading list? - 1/15/2009 9:22:32 PM   
pzgndr

I got a copy of Chandler's book yesterday. Very nice reference.

(in reply to hellfirejet)
Post #: 17
RE: reading list? - 1/16/2009 1:35:01 AM   
Jimmer

If you are interested in how to play Turkey such that you appear to be a raving lunatic (but are not), try The Ottoman Centuries by Lord Kinross. It's a vanilla history book, but helps explain some of the mindset behind the Ottoman/Turkish way of looking at the world. You have to put yourself into the mindset of some of Turkey's greatest leaders, and play like you would envision them playing.

Playing alternately like Suleiman the Conquerer and then Suleiman the Magnificent made the game very enjoyable. For me, anyhow. Ever heard of the six-nation coalition to take TURKEY down? Yes, even France had to join in. In fact, if he hadn't, the other five likely would not have won the war, and certainly would not have pulled Turkey back from the brink of dominant power status. It would have gotten really ugly if that had happened.

It was a fun book to read, too, if you like history.

At LAST! The greatest campaign board game of all time is finally available for the PC. Can my old heart stand the strain?

(in reply to pzgndr)
Post #: 18
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Empires in Arms the Napoleonic Wars of 1805 - 1815 >> reading list? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI