Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Curbside Mailboxes

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: Curbside Mailboxes Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Curbside Mailboxes - 1/12/2009 5:35:05 AM   
Charles2222

2ndACR: The thing about one side of the street being risky is sort of that way with me here. My parents live in Mesquite, and I moved from there to here. It takes me about as long to get there as to UPS. Their area is basically crime-free; all 50's frame houses. So you drive 5 minutes, back in '89 it was, and you think this neighborhood will be close to that in people - wrong. I didn't think things turned bad till Pleasant Grove. Of course Mesquite actually seems to have or had a police force. About all they do around here is give out tickets, and boy I hear those sirens every day. Oh, they don't bother with my street of course, and then again, it's not Dallas Police I'm hearing which are giving out those tickets.

(in reply to Charles2222)
Post #: 31
RE: Curbside Mailboxes - 1/12/2009 5:40:49 AM   
2ndACR

Oh and I bet UPS routes the same way as I do.......farthest out first and work your way back in. That way you are not paying them just drive time, it is usually a big circle with the last stops of the day closest to where the vehicle will be parked for the night.

Say I have a tech (they are home dispatched, ie, they take the vehicle home at night) lives in Irving. His first stop will be Carrollton, then Lewisville, Denton, on to wherever and will have a Carrollton or Irving call to finish his route. Sometimes the route is 300+ miles, sometimes it is less than 50 miles. Just depends on how the calls come in.

I used to, long ago, work for ABF Frieght.........deliveries started closest to the shop and went out, then started making pickups working back in. Sometimes you dropped off at 8am, but did not pick up at the same location until 2 pm. Depends on the load. Since UPS mainly carries small packages, they can start far out and work back in all the time.

(in reply to 2ndACR)
Post #: 32
RE: Curbside Mailboxes - 1/12/2009 5:40:55 AM   
Charles2222

quote:

ORIGINAL: 2ndACR

Nope, not going to happen. They have been trying to buy out our area for an industrial park ever since I was a kid. Grew up across the street, Uncle next door, mom and dad across the street. Dad grew up 3 houses down from where they live now. If you want a grocery store that the primary language is English, you will drive 6-8 miles. I have heard the words said of convention center, or one of those dual use shopping centers.......shops on the bottom and townhomes on the top.

All told, the "family" owns 9 houses on Rosebud. 3 we live in and 6 we rent out. 25 houses across Irving. My uncle and dad started buying the rent houses back in the late 60's for 10,000 a house. We had 30 at 1 time, but have sold 5 in the last 2 years at 75,000 a pop. All are bought and paid for and bring in 600 per month rent. I own 3 of them, dad has 8 of them and well, uncle is the main money man with 14.

Interesting.

(in reply to 2ndACR)
Post #: 33
RE: Curbside Mailboxes - 1/12/2009 5:47:03 AM   
Charles2222

quote:

Oh and I bet UPS routes the same way as I do.......farthest out first and work your way back in. That way you are not paying them just drive time, it is usually a big circle with the last stops of the day closest to where the vehicle will be parked for the night.

Say I have a tech (they are home dispatched, ie, they take the vehicle home at night) lives in Irving. His first stop will be Carrollton, then Lewisville, Denton, on to wherever and will have a Carrollton or Irving call to finish his route. Sometimes the route is 300+ miles, sometimes it is less than 50 miles. Just depends on how the calls come in.

I used to, long ago, work for ABF Frieght.........deliveries started closest to the shop and went out, then started making pickups working back in. Sometimes you dropped off at 8am, but did not pick up at the same location until 2 pm. Depends on the load. Since UPS mainly carries small packages, they can start far out and work back in all the time.

That drive out and work their way back was one thing I accused them of when I emailed them, and I even pinpointed the area - North Dallas. You can't get much further and still be Dallas from where I live, but as they aren't the Dallas Police, and UPS instead, they may be going way out to your place or Plano (further and ritzier than north Dallas) first thing. Do you know anything about Fedex delivery habits?

(in reply to 2ndACR)
Post #: 34
RE: Curbside Mailboxes - 1/12/2009 5:55:03 AM   
Charles2222

quote:

ORIGINAL: KG Erwin

Jeez louise, guys, I feel for you, but my local postal service is very efficient. I recently ordered a book from Amazon, and it was in my mailbox in less than a week.
A bit of sarcasm aye? So did you have one day air like me? For what few times I have used basic delivery, by whomever, it seems I usually get it early. Figures, don't it? You don't care hardly any and are patient with a delivery, and they go and do that to you. Perhaps it's an industry wide conspiracy to get people to stop ordering quick deliveries?

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 35
RE: Curbside Mailboxes - 1/12/2009 6:03:14 AM   
2ndACR

Nope, not even sure about UPS, just taking a stab at it. I really doubt it has to do with income etc. I would bet it is the start far and work back in routing.

My UPS comes from the Walnut Hill Road facility.......that one does Irving, Coppell, Carrollton, Farmers Branch Dallas until it hit 75. I think yours does downtown Dallas. Not sure. Cousin used to work at UPS, years ago. I just have a clue who does what etc facility wise. But he was in the facility and not on the road.

Post #: 36
RE: Curbside Mailboxes - 1/12/2009 6:04:37 AM   
Charles2222

quote:

No, my post was just about the idiocy of the USPS in general. Regular mail delivery every day.

I am not far from the UPS terminal near Walnut Hill in Dallas. And I try very hard to be passd that area prior to UPS hitting the road.

Any time I have had something picked up or delivered by either UPS or Fedex it is almost always the day it is due to arrive. Sorry, but as long as it is the same day no foul with them. Both UPS and Fedex have maybe if they are lucky 1-2 stops that are residential a day in my area. The USPS is here everyday and does the same stupid stuff everyday.

Since I am in the service industry, well, we might get a service call at 8 am, but they could get a tech within an hour or it could be 11pm at night or later. Depending on the route, length of prior jobs etc. Same day service.

It may not be foul by them, but it's foul by me. How could 1 day delivery be worse and still be the same day; it can't (ignoring the 2.5 days that one time). I sure won't be using those jerks for 1 day air anymore if I can help it.

(in reply to 2ndACR)
Post #: 37
RE: Curbside Mailboxes - 1/12/2009 6:17:37 AM   
Charles2222

quote:

Nope, not even sure about UPS, just taking a stab at it. I really doubt it has to do with income etc. I would bet it is the start far and work back in routing.

My UPS comes from the Walnut Hill Road facility.......that one does Irving, Coppell, Carrollton, Farmers Branch Dallas until it hit 75. I think yours does downtown Dallas. Not sure. Cousin used to work at UPS, years ago. I just have a clue who does what etc facility wise. But he was in the facility and not on the road.
Wait a minute here, i know it's got to be better than this, but this is what it sounds like. You have, whatever how many UPS centers you have, and they all fan out to each other. In such a case, and I know it's not the case, but that's what it sounds like. The Irving boys would drive to Mesquite, and the Mesquite boys would drive to Irving, thereby assuring nobody got deliveries for at least 30-60 minutes. That of course would mean that I should still be getting morning, or at least no later then noon deliveries.

One thing that strikes me about this though. It seems to me, from a certain angle anyway, that they should deliver to the customers who paid the most, first. Now of course I wouldn't be the only 1 day air customer. Now why does that make sense to appease me first (or the 1 day air guys anyway)? Because they stand to lose more from giving unsatisfactory service, or, service the cutomer isn't satisfied with, even if it does comes within their loose definiton of satisfactory. What should they care if they lose a $5 delivery customer, when I paid 4X times that? They've lost me anyway.

< Message edited by Charles_22 -- 1/12/2009 6:18:07 AM >

(in reply to 2ndACR)
Post #: 38
RE: Curbside Mailboxes - 1/12/2009 6:27:51 AM   
2ndACR

NO, Walnut hill IIRC stops at Highway 75.......Ever seen how many stops are on a UPS truck? I have, and it is a bunch. That is why they basically, jump out, drop and drive off.

UPS will be different than ABF, because ABF carries alot bigger stuff and you have to empty the trailer before beginning pick ups. UPS would be different, because they carry much smaller stuff.

I understand the frustration, really do. But I have no solutions. If I did, well I would see the rent checks arrive early enough to get them to the bank that day. LOL

Post #: 39
RE: Curbside Mailboxes - 1/13/2009 12:21:30 AM   
Charles2222

Belkin got my router and they are dropping the hold on my credit card. The turkeys at USPS still haven't called like they claimed they would for either trouble ticket we made for the same problem. Monopolies are so lovely. I also found my 401K dropped 16% this quarter (thanks Obama!) and it was 10% the quarter before. I will be transferring that into an IRA with my bank or something similar there very soon. No more stock market for me -ever.

(in reply to 2ndACR)
Post #: 40
RE: Curbside Mailboxes - 1/13/2009 11:36:50 AM   
Greybriar

quote:

ORIGINAL: Charles_22

....thanks Obama!....

But...but...he's not even in office yet!

This war is not about slavery. --Robert E. Lee

Post #: 41
RE: Curbside Mailboxes - 1/13/2009 3:45:09 PM   
Charles2222

quote:

ORIGINAL: Greybriar

quote:

....thanks Obama!....

But...but...he's not even in office yet!

Two things did it (talking about the last two quarters) another lame Rep candidate, who was lamer than I thought and chose an unknown female to be his VP, and of course the threat of Obama taking over. The corporations know he's going to rake them through and through. Notice how the 2nd quarter was much larger loss than the first. From what I've heard Obama is supposedly going to help the economy by doing what Hitler did, expanding public works to build more highways/bridges etc. Yet another lot of teporary jobs. They ought to ship the Indians over here to do that too. I don't know if we have enough illegal aliens to do what he has in mind.

(in reply to Greybriar)
Post #: 42
RE: Curbside Mailboxes - 1/13/2009 4:00:39 PM   
Widell

And here we go again..... Hasn't it been a lot of politically oriented threads the last months? Anyone see this thread developing in a well behaved manor...

Post #: 43
RE: Curbside Mailboxes - 1/13/2009 4:12:48 PM   
JudgeDredd

I can honestly say, hand on heart, I've never EVER had anything go missing in the post in the UK. Some things have arrived later, but that has normally been courier. The postal service in the UK is great.

Mind you, I bet there will be people with horror stories about the post in the UK!

(in reply to Widell)
Post #: 44
RE: Curbside Mailboxes - 1/13/2009 5:28:12 PM   
Charles2222

quote:

ORIGINAL: Widell

And here we go again..... Hasn't it been a lot of politically oriented threads the last months? Anyone see this thread developing in a well behaved manor...

I did rip both parties. See any partisanship there? I think that is where political problems lie in threads (being partisan) though that isn't necessarily the case. Put in even a half effort to read this thread, you would know that other than my small inclusion about a candidate, and then explaining my comment, there have been no politics, much less partisan ones. So what do you care over there in Sweden, it's not like this thread is some massive political thing, and since I started it anyway and then was the one the make that slight unforgiveable veer off, what's your problem anyway? I don't recall the last time I saw a POLITICALLY "ORIENTED" THREAD, but then I don't go looking for them. Get your facts straight. Some of us Americans like to see how things are elsewhere and such, and there's tons of threads OT. Maybe you should save your political policing for whenever there's a good case for it? This isn't one of them (at least yet).

< Message edited by Charles_22 -- 1/13/2009 5:37:13 PM >

(in reply to Widell)
Post #: 45
RE: Curbside Mailboxes - 1/13/2009 9:04:05 PM   
Zap

Your package is probably still on the plane. It fell in a small crevice hidden from view

Post #: 46
RE: Curbside Mailboxes - 1/13/2009 9:51:52 PM   
Charles2222

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zap

Your package is probably still on the plane. It fell in a small crevice hidden from view

Oh no, they go it afterall, if you didn't see the post I made about that. So I ended up only being out like 9.50 postage.

(in reply to Zap)
Post #: 47
RE: Curbside Mailboxes - 1/13/2009 9:53:31 PM   
Zap

Did'nt see it . glad you got it.

Post #: 48
RE: Curbside Mailboxes - 1/15/2009 8:03:17 PM   
Widell

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Widell

I did rip both parties. See any partisanship there? I think that is where political problems lie in threads (being partisan) though that isn't necessarily the case. Put in even a half effort to read this thread, you would know that other than my small inclusion about a candidate, and then explaining my comment, there have been no politics, much less partisan ones. So what do you care over there in Sweden, it's not like this thread is some massive political thing, and since I started it anyway and then was the one the make that slight unforgiveable veer off, what's your problem anyway? I don't recall the last time I saw a POLITICALLY "ORIENTED" THREAD, but then I don't go looking for them. Get your facts straight. Some of us Americans like to see how things are elsewhere and such, and there's tons of threads OT. Maybe you should save your political policing for whenever there's a good case for it? This isn't one of them (at least yet).

Post #: 49
RE: Curbside Mailboxes - 10/16/2021 7:06:56 PM   
yutowap33

Hi All! My work is related to e-mail and I often need Buy Business Email Marketing List to write about business meetings and so on, I have been using this service for a long time and so far absolutely no complaints recommend to try it thank you for your attention

Post #: 50
RE: Curbside Mailboxes - 10/16/2021 7:12:03 PM   
operating

quote:

ORIGINAL: yutowap33

Hi All! My work is related to e-mail and I often need Buy Business Email Marketing List to write about business meetings and so on, I have been using this service for a long time and so far absolutely no complaints recommend to try it thank you for your attention

D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.

(in reply to yutowap33)
Post #: 51
RE: Curbside Mailboxes - 10/17/2021 2:01:23 AM   
Zap

Resurected from 2009. I would guess that things have changed a bit since then.

(in reply to operating)
Post #: 52
RE: Curbside Mailboxes - 10/17/2021 2:37:23 AM   
Aurelian

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zap

Resurected from 2009. I would guess that things have changed a bit since then.

Just a bit.

If the Earth was flat, cats would of knocked everything off of it long ago.

(in reply to Zap)
Post #: 53
RE: Curbside Mailboxes - 10/17/2021 12:40:08 PM   
RangerJoe

quote:

ORIGINAL: yutowap33

Attachment (2)

Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

(in reply to yutowap33)
Post #: 54
RE: Curbside Mailboxes - 10/18/2021 5:18:18 AM   
Rebel Yell

He hadn't posted since February, so I'm going to say a legitimate account now has an illegitimate owner.

I used to enjoy these forums. So many people that need the green dot now.

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 55
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: Curbside Mailboxes Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI