Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Advance Weather questions

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Advance Weather questions Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Advance Weather questions - 1/25/2009 12:11:45 AM   
Treznor

I was curious on how other players, using advance weather settings, setup their air squadron missions. I've notice that when I started as the japanese that I had a lot of operational losses. Nothing worse than loosing a IJN pilot to a stupid accident .

I know it's going to happen but I try to minimize accidents. I keep fatigue down, morale up by switching out squadrons on missions. With weather, I stop most of my missions with blizzards and thunderstorms or I bottom out the percentage of coverage. When its raining out I stop inexperienced, fatigued or low morale units from flying or again, lower the percentage. This all seem to keep my ops accidents down to what I think is acceptable.

However, this does seem to slow down my ops tempo. Also, do you think that this slower pace give the allies an advantage by letting his aircraft numbers build up or any advantage that I'm not thinking of? Should I risk loosing more pilots pushing the missions tempo to counter this 'advantage'. Is the long term health of my air power worth this? I suppose it is a fine balance, what I want/need versus what I'm willing to loose.

"Something 'witty' inserted here"
Post #: 1
RE: Advance Weather questions - 1/25/2009 2:56:39 AM   
wwengr

Casualties are a consequence of combat. It is important to maintain the operational tempo, but it is unproductive to suffer pointless casualties. Slowing down fatigued units and such in order to reduce Ops losses is a good thing and helps maintain the tempo.

The Japanese player must press the attack continuously for as long as he can without letting the Allied player recover. This is accompished by carefuly rotating depleted and exhausted units off of the front line and putting fresh, well equipped and trained units in.

For units in the rear, recovering and training, folllow the procedures you list to keep down ops losses. For front line units, suck it up and drive on.

I have been inputting my orders for the campaign game first turn since July 4, 2009. I'm getting close. In another month or two, I might be able to run the turn!

(in reply to Treznor)
Post #: 2
RE: Advance Weather questions - 1/25/2009 9:57:37 AM   
Barb

I am usually playing the allies in PBEM so I am not worried aboud Ops loses much. But I usually dont order major air strikes in Blizzard/Thunderstorm/Rain weather. Sometimes I stand down CAP units in this weather (this proved little costly to me).

(in reply to wwengr)
Post #: 3
RE: Advance Weather questions - 1/26/2009 1:06:58 PM   
Oldguard1970

I confess I have never paid much attention to weather.  My game has advanced weather ON.  When I click on the weather button, I get a strategic map that shows predictions for major regions of the map.  Is that what you guys are using to decide to limit flying for certain units? 

There is also the "show clouds" option, but I have never understood what to do with that.  (It merely served to help explain why a unit did not fly or why a target was not attacked.)  What do you use that for?

Finally, I recall reading that advanced weaher is not a good feature to use.  I read that the bad weather multiplies faster than it clears, so you wind up with certain regions massively socked in for extended periods.  Is that the case?

"Rangers Lead the Way!"

(in reply to Barb)
Post #: 4
RE: Advance Weather questions - 1/26/2009 2:19:57 PM   
RUPD3658

Get used to it. Sallys in particular can't make it from the hanger to the runway without suffering an Ops loss.

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits"- Darwin Awards 2003

"No plan survives contact with the enemy." - Field Marshall Helmuth von Moltke

(in reply to Oldguard1970)
Post #: 5
RE: Advance Weather questions - 1/26/2009 3:47:18 PM   
Mike Scholl

quote:

ORIGINAL: OldGuard1970
Finally, I recall reading that advanced weaher is not a good feature to use.  I read that the bad weather multiplies faster than it clears, so you wind up with certain regions massively socked in for extended periods.  Is that the case?

YEP! Good idea..., implementation stinks.

Post #: 6
RE: Advance Weather questions - 1/26/2009 3:59:37 PM   
rtrapasso

quote:

Finally, I recall reading that advanced weaher is not a good feature to use. I read that the bad weather multiplies faster than it clears, so you wind up with certain regions massively socked in for extended periods. Is that the case?

Advanced Weather ON will often end up with the NW quadrant of the map getting bad weather for most of the time, but, IRL this area often WAS socked in for months at a time (during Monsoon season).

Some players consider this detracts from playability... i think it SORT of simulates the bad weather that often affected the area... it depends on if you are going for playability vs. pseudo-realism...

< Message edited by rtrapasso -- 1/26/2009 4:00:10 PM >

Post #: 7
RE: Advance Weather questions - 1/26/2009 9:12:50 PM   
morganbj

Hey Treznor, like the pics.

(in reply to rtrapasso)
Post #: 8
RE: Advance Weather questions - 1/26/2009 10:03:27 PM   
Treznor

quote:

ORIGINAL: OldGuard1970

I confess I have never paid much attention to weather.  My game has advanced weather ON.  When I click on the weather button, I get a strategic map that shows predictions for major regions of the map.  Is that what you guys are using to decide to limit flying for certain units? 

There is also the "show clouds" option, but I have never understood what to do with that.  (It merely served to help explain why a unit did not fly or why a target was not attacked.)  What do you use that for?

I use the info when you click on the base, it tells up in the upper right what the weather is at that base. I look around to 'see' how big the storm is. I am suprised that the weather doesn't effect the whole quadrant.

It sounds like overall that players don't really pay much attention to the weather. Its to late to change the weather settings in my game. I don't mind it, the weather, I do think that it helps simulate actual conditions. I'm sure that squadrons didn't not run missions 365.

"Something 'witty' inserted here"

Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Advance Weather questions Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI