Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Pinch Hitter: USA Maj. Gen. David Birney

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> Generals' Biographies Project >> Pinch Hitter: USA Maj. Gen. David Birney Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Pinch Hitter: USA Maj. Gen. David Birney - 1/27/2009 11:10:49 PM   
Battleline

Maj. Gen. David B. Birney (b. 1825, d. 1864) David Bell Birney was on the fast track to higher command when malaria knocked him out of the war and eventually caused his death Oct. 18, 1864. Birney was known for his ability to step into situations of duress and restoring order in the aftermath of the death or wounding of other officers. He did this at Chantilly after the death of Maj. Gen. Philip Kearny. He came through again, leading III Corps after Maj. Gen. Daniel Sickles was severely wounded. Birney had been named to command the X Corps during Maj. Gen. U.S. Grant’s Overland Campaign when he fell sick. Birney was born in Huntsville, Alabama, May 29, 1825. His father, the antislavery leader James G. Birney, moved the family to Cincinnati in 1838. Growing up, Birney studied business, law and military matters. His older brother, William Birney, also would rise to the rank of major general during the war. David practiced law in Philadelphia until 1856. At the start of the war, he joined the 23rd Pennsylvania, a 90-day regiment which rejoined for three years. When the unit changed its status, Birney became its colonel. David was promoted to brigadier general of volunteers Feb. 17, 1862, and was put in charge of a brigade in Kearny’s Division of the III Corps. After the Battle of Seven Pines, Birney was brought up on charges he disobeyed orders of Maj. Gen. Samuel Heintzelman there. He was acquitted and rejoined his brigade in time for the Battle of Chantilly. After Kearny’s death there, Birney took over the division. Birney was one of the few bright spots for the Federal army at Chancellorsville and earned promotion to major general to rank from May 20, 1863. After III Corps commander Sickles was wounded at Gettysburg, Birney took over and brought the Corps back into the defensive scheme. He remained with the army until he fell ill with a powerful strain of malaria. He died at his home in Philadelphia Oct. 18, 1864, and was buried in Woodlands Cemetery there.
Post #: 1
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> Generals' Biographies Project >> Pinch Hitter: USA Maj. Gen. David Birney Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI