Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: AE map screenshots

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: AE map screenshots Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: AE map screenshots - 2/10/2009 10:49:48 PM   
treespider

quote:

ORIGINAL: Andrew Brown

You could sprinkle little bases all over the place to simulate certain things, but I am against doing that - the game design is what it is.

Curmudgeon...

Here's a link to:
Treespider's Grand Campaign of DBB

"It is not the critic who counts, .... The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena..." T. Roosevelt, Paris, 1910

(in reply to Andrew Brown)
Post #: 61
RE: AE map screenshots - 2/10/2009 11:07:07 PM   
Chad Harrison

quote:

Sorry. Here is the list of off map bases:

UK, Canada, US East Coast, Cristobal (Panama), Balboa (Panama), Port Stanley, Cape Town, Mombasa, Aden, Abadan.

Andrew

No worries. The only new one that I did not know about was Abadan. Nice to have plenty of options.

Thanks again for the reply.

Post #: 62
RE: AE map screenshots - 2/10/2009 11:19:29 PM   
khyberbill

quote:

We discussed the concept of "bases" very early in AE development. In theory, every land hex should be a "base" hex, because it is possible to build port facilities and/or airfields just about anywhere. The base concept for WitP goes back a very long way though, and a total redesign was not possibility, so we stuck with the "base" concept as is. The major difference is that there are a lot of new bases due to the larger map size.

You could sprinkle little bases all over the place to simulate certain things, but I am against doing that - the game design is what it is.

Andrew

And it is good. I like it. It is easy to push soldiers out of an airplane when you are sitting at a computer. A little bit harder IRL!!! We have to remember that this is a game and we can't always drop a company behind the lines to cut off an army!!! Even if we do bag a few Indian or Chinese divisions in the process.

"Its a dog eat dog world Sammy and I am wearing Milkbone underwear" -Norm.

Post #: 63
RE: AE map screenshots - 2/11/2009 3:04:02 AM   
Hornblower

i really do like the look and feel of the maps..

(in reply to khyberbill)
Post #: 64
RE: AE map screenshots - 2/11/2009 11:47:31 AM   
Andrew Brown

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kull
Different question. The map shows a border splitting Timor in half, but the bases are Dutch on both sides. Are the Portuguese in-game in any way? There's no sign of Macao in China - what about Goa, India?

No the Portuguese are not present. Macao is not present but Goa is (as an Indian base).

Andrew

(in reply to Kull)
Post #: 65
RE: AE map screenshots - 2/11/2009 12:27:24 PM   
Andrew Brown

Should have posted this earlier. The map legend, showing the terrain types. This might make the other screenshots more understandable.

Andrew

Attachment (1)

Post #: 66
RE: AE map screenshots - 2/11/2009 12:29:59 PM   
Andrew Brown

quote:

ORIGINAL: SuluSea
If possible can we get a look at the Noumea, Efate and Espiritu Santo area?

OK, here is that area...

(Note: Nandi is going to be renamed Nadi)

Attachment (1)

(in reply to SuluSea)
Post #: 67
RE: AE map screenshots - 2/11/2009 12:33:59 PM   
Andrew Brown

quote:

ORIGINAL: herwin

Andy, could I see Burma?

I think Burma screenies have been posted in the AAR threads already, but here is another one that covers all of Burma.

quote:

BTW, there might be a workaround for the problem of airborne ops away from bases. Does a 'beach' count for air landings? Most of central Burma (and a lot of other areas) could be treated like a 'beach.

Maybe you should get together with Treespider to make a mod

Attachment (1)

(in reply to herwin)
Post #: 68
RE: AE map screenshots - 2/11/2009 12:40:37 PM   
Andrew Brown

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chad Harrison
Requests:

1. Guam, Tinian and Saipan area.
2. Palau, Yap and Ulithi area.

I managed to squeeze these into one screenshot. Here it is.

Andrew

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Chad Harrison)
Post #: 69
RE: AE map screenshots - 2/11/2009 12:52:47 PM   
BShaftoe

Would it be possible to see all the "off-map" areas?

Thanks in advance, Andrew!!

Post #: 70
RE: AE map screenshots - 2/11/2009 1:01:17 PM   
Kaletsch2007

Hi Andrew,

I remember, I read something about limitation of ships able to use navigable rivers. Can not find it, could you repeat that one please ?
Secondly, in one of the sreen shots in an recent AAR, i saw the river navigable between HANKOW/WUCHANG and NANKING. But it seems to me it is not navigable between NANKING and the CHINA SEA. Is that right, or is it just the quality of the screen shot ?

Tx in advance !

Post #: 71
RE: AE map screenshots - 2/11/2009 2:34:52 PM   
herwin

Bhamo is a town halfway between Myitkyina and Lashio.

It looks like there's a beach at Indaw. The secondary road reaches the Chindwin from Indaw.

There was a major base complex at Dimapur. Is that the beach at the base of the Imphal road?

The secondary road from Imphal to Kalewa continues on to Shwebo and Mandalay.

The road north from Mandalay stays to the east of the Irrawaddy until it reaches Indaw.

Harry Erwin
"For a number to make sense in the game, someone has to calibrate it and program code. There are too many significant numbers that behave non-linearly to expect that. It's just a game. Enjoy it." herwin@btinternet.com

Post #: 72
RE: AE map screenshots - 2/11/2009 3:08:20 PM   
Caesaren

it would be nice to see china.

(in reply to herwin)
Post #: 73
RE: AE map screenshots - 2/11/2009 3:11:13 PM   
Chad Harrison

quote:

I managed to squeeze these into one screenshot. Here it is.

Andrew

Thanks for posting those!

Great to see Babeldaob and Rota in there too, not to mention the other small islands around Pagan.

Just curious:

What is the size and potential size of Babeldaob's port and airfield? It was a much, much larger island than Peleliu, but I dont know how much of that was good for base building.

Thanks again

Chad

Post #: 74
RE: AE map screenshots - 2/11/2009 3:18:45 PM   
33Vyper

Hello,

Everything looks terrific !!!

I was wondering if you could show some of Canada :)  Is Vancouver Island actually an Island now?  Victoria and such? 

How far east does the map go?  Winnipeg?

Cheers
John

Post #: 75
RE: AE map screenshots - 2/11/2009 4:15:52 PM   
Chad Harrison

quote:

ORIGINAL: BShaftoe

I would second this request.

Thanks.

(in reply to BShaftoe)
Post #: 76
RE: AE map screenshots - 2/11/2009 4:51:51 PM   
Grotius

So there are "secondary railroads" now? Maybe they have less capacity than major RRs?

Also, I noticed some railways in the same hex as roads in northern Oz -- maybe you can choose which to use?

Finally, I'm curious about the compass rose next to the legend. I assume this is a reference for setting air search arcs. It's not a big deal, but I'm curious: is East the same everywhere, lol? Because of the projection, 090 degrees might look like "hex directly to the right" near Los Angeles, but more like "hex to the bottom-right" near Japan. I assume "the hex directly to the right" is always 090 (East)?

Post #: 77
RE: AE map screenshots - 2/11/2009 6:15:37 PM   
pad152

Legends - what is the clear hex with the lines (Bottom Right) ?

Three legends are the same and show clear hex.

(in reply to Grotius)
Post #: 78
RE: AE map screenshots - 2/11/2009 6:41:16 PM   
JWE

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: BShaftoe

I would second this request.

Thanks.

That would be a bit hard, since they are scattered all over the edges. Maybe Andrew can figure something out. But they are basically 1 hex boxes, like what you see in Andrew’s post #11. They have paths going ‘to’ and ‘from’, which run along the map edges, but these might lead you to a wrong conclusion about distance. Paths lead to ‘Holding Boxes’ like shown in his post #66.

He determined the distance between off-map/off-map and off-map/entry, and knowing the speed of a TF, the time/distance calc is simple. A TF will mosey along the path and sit in the Holding Box till time/distance is done and then, poof, show up at the entry hex.

Which, btw, is NOT the hex just next the Box. And, iirc, moves around a bit, so you can’t get gamey with huge sub TFs lying in wait.

Hope this is what you wanted to know.

Ciao. John

Post #: 79
RE: AE map screenshots - 2/11/2009 6:50:47 PM   
Chad Harrison

quote:

ORIGINAL: JWE

. . .

Hope this is what you wanted to know.

Ciao. John

That sums it up. Thanks for the post.

(in reply to JWE)
Post #: 80
RE: AE map screenshots - 2/12/2009 4:41:50 AM   
Andrew Brown

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kaletsch2007

Hi Andrew,

I remember, I read something about limitation of ships able to use navigable rivers. Can not find it, could you repeat that one please ?

Ships have to be smaller than 15,000 tons to be able to use navigable rivers.

quote:

Secondly, in one of the sreen shots in an recent AAR, i saw the river navigable between HANKOW/WUCHANG and NANKING. But it seems to me it is not navigable between NANKING and the CHINA SEA. Is that right, or is it just the quality of the screen shot ?

Tx in advance !

The "river" below Nanking is actually made up of ocean hexsides. This means that: Ships of any size can cross them, just like any other ocean hexside. Also, LCUs cannot cross them. So no crossing by LCUs of the Yangtse below Nanking unless you use a ship, and also any size ship can move as far along the "river" as far as Nanking. Between Nanking and Hankow it is ships smaller than 15,000 tons only.

Andrew

(in reply to Kaletsch2007)
Post #: 81
RE: AE map screenshots - 2/12/2009 4:54:33 AM   
Andrew Brown

quote:

Just curious:

What is the size and potential size of Babeldaob's port and airfield? It was a much, much larger island than Peleliu, but I dont know how much of that was good for base building.

Thanks again

Chad

Babeldaob is a port 3(2) and an airfield 4(3).
Peleliu is a port 0(0) and an airfield 1(2).

Andrew

Andrew

Post #: 82
RE: AE map screenshots - 2/12/2009 4:55:42 AM   
Andrew Brown

quote:

ORIGINAL: pad152

Legends - what is the clear hex with the lines (Bottom Right) ?

Three legends are the same and show clear hex.

The extra clear hexes in the legend are just unused bits. Maybe I should "remove" these.

Andrew

(in reply to pad152)
Post #: 83
RE: AE map screenshots - 2/12/2009 4:59:42 AM   
Andrew Brown

quote:

ORIGINAL: Grotius

So there are "secondary railroads" now? Maybe they have less capacity than major RRs?

There are no capacity limits for railways (yes we did consider adding them but it was decided to be "out of scope"), but the "minor" railways have a lower movement rate than the "major" railways.

quote:

Also, I noticed some railways in the same hex as roads in northern Oz -- maybe you can choose which to use?

Yes, that is one change in AE - you can choose to use either the road or the railway. Note that there are restriction on using the railways - using them is considered a form of strategic movement.

quote:

Finally, I'm curious about the compass rose next to the legend. I assume this is a reference for setting air search arcs. It's not a big deal, but I'm curious: is East the same everywhere, lol? Because of the projection, 090 degrees might look like "hex directly to the right" near Los Angeles, but more like "hex to the bottom-right" near Japan. I assume "the hex directly to the right" is always 090 (East)?

You are right, East is not the same direction in different parts of the map. The "N, S, E, W" letters on the compass rose are for aesthetics only. The "rose" is there to help with setting search arcs as you guessed.

Andrew

(in reply to Grotius)
Post #: 84
RE: AE map screenshots - 2/12/2009 7:15:20 AM   
Kull

quote:

ORIGINAL: JWE
A TF will mosey along the path and sit in the Holding Box till time/distance is done and then, poof, show up at the entry hex.

Which, btw, is NOT the hex just next the Box. And, iirc, moves around a bit, so you can’t get gamey with huge sub TFs lying in wait.

That is a VERY nice feature!

(in reply to JWE)
Post #: 85
RE: AE map screenshots - 2/12/2009 3:04:29 PM   
RevRick

quote:

You are right, East is not the same direction in different parts of the map. The "N, S, E, W" letters on the compass rose are for aesthetics only. The "rose" is there to help with setting search arcs as you guessed.

Andrew

So, are those bearings given relative bearings for every hex, then, that is, no matter where you are, the bearing directly perpendicular to the right will be 090, the bearing directly ahead of and away from you will be 000, etc., etc., etc.

"Action springs not from thought, but from a readiness for responsibility.” ― Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Post #: 86
RE: AE map screenshots - 2/12/2009 4:26:01 PM   
Chad Harrison

quote:

Babeldaob is a port 3(2) and an airfield 4(3).
Peleliu is a port 0(0) and an airfield 1(2).

Andrew

Thanks Andrew. Interesting possibilities for both sides there now . . .

Post #: 87
RE: AE map screenshots - 2/12/2009 4:26:18 PM   
witpqs

Basically they are bearings of convenience:

N - E - S - W are actually Up - Right - Down - Left on the map, regardless of the true direction on the real earth.

In AAR's and other posts on the forum I often see people use the compass direction in that same fashion. For example if you left Columbo to fly to Cox's Bazaar on the game map you fly East, in reality you would fly North. What I've seen is people just go with 'East' because it matches 'Right' on the map.

(in reply to RevRick)
Post #: 88
RE: AE map screenshots - 2/13/2009 3:57:02 AM   
scott64

What are holding boxes? 

Lucky for you, tonight it's just me

Any ship can be a minesweeper..once !! :)

http://suspenseandmystery.blogspot.com/

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 89
RE: AE map screenshots - 2/13/2009 4:00:49 AM   
treespider

quote:

ORIGINAL: khyberbill

quote:

We discussed the concept of "bases" very early in AE development. In theory, every land hex should be a "base" hex, because it is possible to build port facilities and/or airfields just about anywhere. The base concept for WitP goes back a very long way though, and a total redesign was not possibility, so we stuck with the "base" concept as is. The major difference is that there are a lot of new bases due to the larger map size.

Andrew

And it is good. I like it. It is easy to push soldiers out of an airplane when you are sitting at a computer. A little bit harder IRL!!! We have to remember that this is a game and we can't always drop a company behind the lines to cut off an army!!! Even if we do bag a few Indian or Chinese divisions in the process.

That is less likely to happen anymore...due to how the hexside control works.

Here's a link to:
Treespider's Grand Campaign of DBB

"It is not the critic who counts, .... The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena..." T. Roosevelt, Paris, 1910

(in reply to khyberbill)
Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: AE map screenshots Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI