Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: AE map screenshots

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: AE map screenshots Page: <<   < prev  2 3 4 [5] 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: AE map screenshots - 3/6/2009 7:55:00 PM   
NormS3

Thanks for the maps Andrew!

They look great!

(in reply to Andrew Brown)
Post #: 121
RE: AE map screenshots - 3/6/2009 10:56:08 PM   
Andy Mac

Burma is the most fascinating early battle for me and Andrew's map makes it so hard for both sides in AE

Burma COmmand has less than 2 Divs at start but by carefull juggling of reinforcements can end up with 7 pretty quickly making it a real challenge for the Japanese player.

(Assuming you divert 18th Brit, 6th Aus, 7th Aus and 44th and 45th Indian Bdes - e.g. concentrate all of your available reinforcments in 1st 4 months to Burma !!!)

(in reply to NormS3)
Post #: 122
RE: AE map screenshots - 3/7/2009 3:45:59 AM   
JSBoomer

Wonderful!!!

Thanks Andrew

Jordan S. Bujtas
Deas Gu Cath

Post #: 123
RE: AE map screenshots - 3/7/2009 3:57:04 PM   
Blackhorse

quote:

ORIGINAL: rjopel

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kaletsch2007

Thanks !
As an ARMY-guy, I am not familiar with all that NAVY stuff. (expecialy not with those trying to play real soldiers)

Except that the Coast Artillery is branch of the US Army.

*Was* a branch (abolished in 1950).

WitP-AE -- US LCU & AI Stuff

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Moriarty: Crap!

(in reply to rjopel)
Post #: 124
RE: AE map screenshots - 3/21/2009 6:22:32 AM   
Flying Tiger

any chance of seeing the western edge of the map??

(in reply to Blackhorse)
Post #: 125
RE: AE map screenshots - 3/21/2009 10:42:24 AM   
Fokko

How are the Andaman and Nicobar islands represented on the map ?
is it only Port Blair or are there more (dot) bases present.

Fokko

Stuck on the treadmill

(in reply to Flying Tiger)
Post #: 126
RE: AE map screenshots - 3/25/2009 7:44:26 AM   
Flying Tiger

quote:

ORIGINAL: Andrew Brown

quote:

ORIGINAL: ny59giants

Can I see a screenshot of northern Australia from Broome to Darwin with Timor if it fits?? The trails/roads were different from stock to Andrew's and I want to see what they are plus added bases.

Here is a map of that area. There are some more bases in Northern Australia compared to stock.

The dot base representing Gove (or Nhulunbuy) is in the wrong hex - it should be one hex further NW. Curious to hear what ratings it got by the way??

Post #: 127
RE: AE map screenshots - 3/25/2009 12:36:40 PM   
John Lansford

Where is the island of Komodo located?  It was in the news lately about some divers getting stranded there and having to fight off the dragons until they were rescued.  I don't expect there was a base on that island...

Post #: 128
RE: AE map screenshots - 3/25/2009 12:52:05 PM   
Terminus

It's off the tip of Flores.

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

(in reply to NormS3)
Post #: 129
RE: AE map screenshots - 3/25/2009 1:33:03 PM   
herwin

quote:

ORIGINAL: John Lansford

Where is the island of Komodo located?  It was in the news lately about some divers getting stranded there and having to fight off the dragons until they were rescued.  I don't expect there was a base on that island...

The Aussies are lucky the Australian version of the Komodo dragon (Megalania prisca) is extinct.

Harry Erwin
"For a number to make sense in the game, someone has to calibrate it and program code. There are too many significant numbers that behave non-linearly to expect that. It's just a game. Enjoy it." herwin@btinternet.com

(in reply to John Lansford)
Post #: 130
RE: AE map screenshots - 3/25/2009 1:49:25 PM   
Andrew Brown

quote:

ORIGINAL: Flying Tiger
The dot base representing Gove (or Nhulunbuy) is in the wrong hex - it should be one hex further NW. Curious to hear what ratings it got by the way??

Golly you are right Well spotted, and something I will correct. Gove is a Port 0 (2) and airfield 0 (5).

Andrew

Post #: 131
RE: AE map screenshots - 3/25/2009 3:25:32 PM   
Flying Tiger

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Flying Tiger

Golly you are right Well spotted, and something I will correct. Gove is a Port 0 (2) and airfield 0 (5).

Andrew

Ha! Nice to know i've contributed something useful to AE!!

Post #: 132
RE: AE map screenshots - 3/25/2009 4:03:04 PM   
Flying Tiger

Gove was my hometown for a couple of years - thus the interest.

I know it is an off map area, but what are the ratings for Mauritius (my current 'hometown')?

Post #: 133
RE: AE map screenshots - 3/25/2009 4:54:27 PM   
John Lansford

So how will the addition of so many bases affect either the players' or the AI's strategy?  I've started my first 1941 campaign game vs the AI recently and the sheer number of bases the AI ends up assaulting in stock is huge.  I've noticed sometimes it acts really odd at times; even though there's a half dozen infantry units in Rabaul right now, for example, the AI only bombards and doesn't assault my garrison.  Similarly it dropped off a base force at Brunei and waited on a LCU to march in from a nearby base before attacking there.

Will the AI be able to handle having to deal with so many bases to attack, or will it just start randomly picking some and eventually 'fill in' after it has enough taken in an area?  When I'm on the attack I expect to be able of choosing undefended or weakly defended bases and building them up, rather than finding myself facing a 'roadblock' of several well defended bases I have to take to continue moving forward.

Oh, can we see a screenshot of the Dutch East Indies?  I'd like to see how the bases have changed from stock VitP.

Post #: 134
RE: AE map screenshots - 3/25/2009 5:06:19 PM   
GaryChildress

quote:

ORIGINAL: John Lansford

So how will the addition of so many bases affect either the players' or the AI's strategy?  I've started my first 1941 campaign game vs the AI recently and the sheer number of bases the AI ends up assaulting in stock is huge.  I've noticed sometimes it acts really odd at times; even though there's a half dozen infantry units in Rabaul right now, for example, the AI only bombards and doesn't assault my garrison.  Similarly it dropped off a base force at Brunei and waited on a LCU to march in from a nearby base before attacking there.

Will the AI be able to handle having to deal with so many bases to attack, or will it just start randomly picking some and eventually 'fill in' after it has enough taken in an area?  When I'm on the attack I expect to be able of choosing undefended or weakly defended bases and building them up, rather than finding myself facing a 'roadblock' of several well defended bases I have to take to continue moving forward.

Oh, can we see a screenshot of the Dutch East Indies?  I'd like to see how the bases have changed from stock VitP.

I imagine that is why AE hasn't been released yet. We thought the AI for WITP was probably difficult to program. Just think of programming the AI for hundreds of extra bases!

(in reply to John Lansford)
Post #: 135
RE: AE map screenshots - 3/25/2009 11:16:52 PM   
wdolson

The major reason AE was delayed was due to the fact that when it came time to program the AI, the old AI was lacking.  A new AI was created that is programmable from the editor.  Andy has had a bit of a tutorial on it here on the forum.

There were some things with the AI that could not be changed.  It's still "script" driven.  That is, when on offense, it is told which bases to take.  There is some flexability and some randomness that can happen, but if a base is not on the list, it won't be taken by that script.  Andy has been careful to ensure that all the new bases, as well as the old ones are included in the scripts.

While the AI was being rewritten and tested, we also fixed up a lot of other things and added some other features that originally were not planned for the initial release.  So the delay to redo the AI has had other benefits.

I think I'm one of the few people on the team who has played the AI in the original game much.  The AI in AE is craftier and generally tougher than the original game.  Care has also been taken so the AI doesn't just roll over and quit after a while.  A good human player will always be better than the AI.  That's true for just about every game out there (that's been the complaint of good chess players and computerized chess games for at least 25 years).  However, the AE AI will give an average player much more of a challenge than the original game did.

Bill

WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer

(in reply to GaryChildress)
Post #: 136
RE: AE map screenshots - 3/25/2009 11:22:22 PM   
Terminus

And it can beat up a bad player. I know whereof I speak...

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 137
RE: AE map screenshots - 3/26/2009 12:37:22 AM   
khyberbill

quote:

Burma is the most fascinating early battle for me and Andrew's map makes it so hard for both sides in AE

Burma COmmand has less than 2 Divs at start but by carefull juggling of reinforcements can end up with 7 pretty quickly making it a real challenge for the Japanese player.

(Assuming you divert 18th Brit, 6th Aus, 7th Aus and 44th and 45th Indian Bdes - e.g. concentrate all of your available reinforcments in 1st 4 months to Burma !!!)

What if your opponent just goes around and lands at Madras?

"Its a dog eat dog world Sammy and I am wearing Milkbone underwear" -Norm.

(in reply to Andy Mac)
Post #: 138
RE: AE map screenshots - 3/26/2009 1:36:10 AM   
GaryChildress

quote:

ORIGINAL: khyberbill

quote:

Doh!

(in reply to khyberbill)
Post #: 139
RE: AE map screenshots - 3/26/2009 1:55:38 AM   
Terminus

quote:

ORIGINAL: khyberbill

quote:

Then you move there... Duh...

(in reply to khyberbill)
Post #: 140
RE: AE map screenshots - 3/26/2009 3:32:14 AM   
Jorm

Hey Andrew,

did i see you have included Broken Hill as a resource centre on one of the southern australian map images posted earlier ?

Funny if the japanese ever take it, they get all of australias gold wealth as it was stored in the local gaol for safe keeping during WWII

cheers
Paul

Post #: 141
RE: AE map screenshots - 3/26/2009 8:27:43 AM   
herwin

quote:

ORIGINAL: wdolson

The major reason AE was delayed was due to the fact that when it came time to program the AI, the old AI was lacking.  A new AI was created that is programmable from the editor.  Andy has had a bit of a tutorial on it here on the forum.

There were some things with the AI that could not be changed.  It's still "script" driven.  That is, when on offense, it is told which bases to take.  There is some flexability and some randomness that can happen, but if a base is not on the list, it won't be taken by that script.  Andy has been careful to ensure that all the new bases, as well as the old ones are included in the scripts.

While the AI was being rewritten and tested, we also fixed up a lot of other things and added some other features that originally were not planned for the initial release.  So the delay to redo the AI has had other benefits.

I think I'm one of the few people on the team who has played the AI in the original game much.  The AI in AE is craftier and generally tougher than the original game.  Care has also been taken so the AI doesn't just roll over and quit after a while.  A good human player will always be better than the AI.  That's true for just about every game out there (that's been the complaint of good chess players and computerized chess games for at least 25 years).  However, the AE AI will give an average player much more of a challenge than the original game did.

Bill

How do you address the frame problem? That is, when you notice a change in your external environment, how do you know what to change in your internal representation or model of the situation? This internal model is what you use to choose your behaviour. This is an important hard problem in building an AI for a game.

Harry Erwin
"For a number to make sense in the game, someone has to calibrate it and program code. There are too many significant numbers that behave non-linearly to expect that. It's just a game. Enjoy it." herwin@btinternet.com

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 142
RE: AE map screenshots - 3/26/2009 2:59:42 PM   
Shark7

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: J Boomer
Is is possible to see what Alaska and British Columbia look like?

Here is some of Alaska:

Is Bethel going to be accessible by sea, or is it Ice Locked?

Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'

Post #: 143
RE: AE map screenshots - 3/26/2009 3:03:48 PM   
Shark7

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cap Mandrake

quote:

WOW! That is an exceedingly cool map. Any Allied units pushed back to Myitkyina in 42 will be in for some major heartache.

Looks like Paratroopers will be very usefull in Burma, given the number of poor quality trails in the area.

Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'

(in reply to Cap Mandrake)
Post #: 144
RE: AE map screenshots - 4/21/2009 6:24:39 PM   
SuluSea

Andrew , the islands in the SE Pacific that aren't on the WITP map, is it possible to get a look of the area or areas when time permits.

As always thanks!

"There’s no such thing as a bitter person who keeps the bitterness to himself.” ~ Erwin Lutzer

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 145
RE: AE map screenshots - 4/21/2009 6:37:04 PM   
Terminus

Could you be a bit more specific? It's kind of a big map, you know...

(in reply to SuluSea)
Post #: 146
RE: AE map screenshots - 4/21/2009 6:54:19 PM   
Barb

I think he ment the area SE of American Samoa: Line islands, Cook Islands and French Polynesia.

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 147
RE: AE map screenshots - 4/21/2009 7:01:52 PM   
Terminus

Here's a couple of them:

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Barb)
Post #: 148
RE: AE map screenshots - 4/21/2009 7:02:23 PM   
Terminus

And...

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 149
RE: AE map screenshots - 4/21/2009 7:04:50 PM   
Barb

Well... A LOT of dots to play there.

What if a player takes all the dots in this GREAT map, stick them one next to other... How long will be the line? A mile? Two?

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 150
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 4 [5] 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: AE map screenshots Page: <<   < prev  2 3 4 [5] 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI