Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

interesting fighter

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> interesting fighter Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
interesting fighter - 2/7/2009 2:45:14 AM   
borner

trooling around the net last night, I came across a late war fighter for Japan that appeared to have ending mounted aft. I think it was called the Shinden. Anyone have any information or pictures of this?
Post #: 1
RE: interesting fighter - 2/7/2009 2:54:45 AM   
FastPhil

The only one I could find was the 'George' - Kawanishi N1K1-J and 2-J Shiden "George'

(in reply to borner)
Post #: 2
RE: interesting fighter - 2/7/2009 3:02:39 AM   
borner

j7w shinden

(in reply to FastPhil)
Post #: 3
RE: interesting fighter - 2/7/2009 3:04:47 AM   
borner

http://www.airbornegrafix.com/HistoricAircraft/Design/J7W.htm   sorry, here is the link I found. One bad A-- looking machine IMO

(in reply to borner)
Post #: 4
RE: interesting fighter - 2/7/2009 3:13:51 AM   
Xxzard

Yes, a very interesting aircraft, and according to witp anyway, a very good interceptor. It has near no range, but fantastic gun value and speed. I believe in RL, it progressed to the test flight phase, and there is a grainy video of it on this or preparing for this.

However, despite the exigencies of the late war, a first flying date that late probably means that it would have hardly been in service by 1946. Furthermore, its actual combat performance has never really been ascertained.

(in reply to borner)
Post #: 5
RE: interesting fighter - 2/7/2009 6:41:44 AM   
John 3rd

I WANT IT NOW!  Can someone please send me about 250 production models?  Make it out to "Japanese Player--Forlorn Hopes AAR--Get those B-29!"

Thanks... 

Member: Treaty, Reluctant Admiral and Between the Storms Mod Team.

Reluctant Admiral Mod:
https://sites.google.com/site/reluctantadmiral/

(in reply to Xxzard)
Post #: 6
RE: interesting fighter - 2/7/2009 8:32:33 AM   
Howard Mitchell

quote:

ORIGINAL: Xxzard
However, despite the exigencies of the late war, a first flying date that late probably means that it would have hardly been in service by 1946. Furthermore, its actual combat performance has never really been ascertained.

I think this is an important point. Especially on flight sim forums, you sometimes see people quoting calculated figures, or those achieved by carefully-manufactured and maintained prototypes without combat equipment, and assuming that the production aircraft would perform similarly.

All to often they didn’t, and the Japanese especially seem to have been often disappointed by aircraft not living up to expectations.

The Americans also produced some pusher designs, but they never went beyond the prototype stage:

While the battles the British fight may differ in the widest possible ways, they invariably have two common characteristics – they are always fought uphill and always at the junction of two or more map sheets.

General Sir William Slim

(in reply to Xxzard)
Post #: 7
RE: interesting fighter - 2/7/2009 11:21:37 AM   
Terminus

The Shinden was fast, had good rate of climb and heavy armament, but it was also VERY difficult to fly, and with the average skill level of Jap pilots at that stage, that would have made it less than a barn-burner...

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

(in reply to borner)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> interesting fighter Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI