Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Dual vs Quad Core.

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> Unofficial Tech Support By Gamers for Gamers >> RE: Dual vs Quad Core. Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Dual vs Quad Core. - 1/30/2010 1:35:57 AM   
madgamer2

L-O-L you actually PLAY WW1? Stout Lad!

Madgamer

(in reply to 06 Maestro)
Post #: 31
RE: Dual vs Quad Core. - 1/30/2010 12:35:08 PM   
berndn

I think multicores are the current way. But for most dual cores are fine. And you get higher speed dual cores then quad cores. A different thing is the new core5/7i CPUs from Intel. I'm not sure about it.
For someone who is mostly using the PC for gaming I would still recommend dual cores. If you are like me and do virtualisation or video or photo editing it's better to have more then 2 cores.

64 bit is a different story. Microsoft has finally realized that Windows Server versions should have more then 4 GB RAM and releases Windows 2008 R2 only as a 64 bit version. For a PC which is used for games and web browsing I would use a 32 bit system because it can adress 4 GB RAM and that's enough. Like the cores it depends what you are doing.

I have started with Vista 64 bit and I'm now running Windows 7 64 bit and have no issues with drivers. Windows XP 64 bit however can give you some driver problems.

Anyone is using a core5i or core7i ?

(in reply to madgamer2)
Post #: 32
RE: Dual vs Quad Core. - 2/23/2010 4:21:12 AM   
gowtham

In overclocker circles, the hot topic of the moment is whether or not a quad-core CPU is better than a dual-core. We did many hardware tests to find out. After all, one of the most important questions when you try to put together a powerful new system is which combination of Core 2 processor, motherboard and RAM offers the best value for your money. One of the prerequisites is, naturally, that the system has to offer good overclocking potential in order give you high performance at a low price. That means that you can forget about buying a preconfigured system online or from your local computer around the corner - instead you should have full control over the choice of components.

(in reply to Nemo121)
Post #: 33
RE: Dual vs Quad Core. - 2/26/2010 6:48:14 PM   
blemishednicely

Here's 2 quick questions:

1. What's the diff (if any) between dual core and duo (centrino, I think)? which is better or more powerful, also (not nec same) which's more recent?

2. My A100 *SUCKS* like we're talking not even 3 yrs old & can't run UFO Enemy Unknown (circa 1999) without overloading hurtin shared (AAGH-hate it) GCA very shortly, so I was gonna buy a new mobile. I WAS planning (pretty much after I turned on A100 for 1st time) way back to replace mobile with AlienWare (M-80, I think) cuz those boys had a company model down right. Go figure by the time I decided they were stable (company only began around '95, but OMFG non-proprietary software...HEAVEN!!!), decided to jump in and *DUN-DAH-DUUH*.....they sold themselves to Dell (the very type of company they were against in ideals when they began waging war on poorly comprised, ill explained, command lines needed but not provided DOS days-it's WHY they began in 1st place! 1st true "right out of the box" rigs made)

NEEDLESS to say I'm disheartened and ready to scrub my dreams of glowing badass portable gameboxes but before I do, has anyone TRIED one of these (what I-DISAPPROVINGLY-call) "DellWare's"?

Did they have the brains to keep AlienWare AS IS & reserve it as their "high end" line, or did they just go for the fast cash and start stuffing as much stuff as they could direct from their own production line inside, forever cheapening the A-W brand & effectively killing their golden goose?

won't buy till I know & like hell Cust Serv Rep'll gimme a straight answer...my ToshA100 taught me that much at least-

"Why don't we just focus on why we're all here, because I'm WAY too stoned right now, OK?"

< Message edited by blemishednicely -- 2/26/2010 6:49:49 PM >

(in reply to madgamer2)
Post #: 34
RE: Dual vs Quad Core. - 2/26/2010 11:19:53 PM   
Ron Belcher

Personally, I'm using an AMD Phenom II X4 910 Processor @ 2.60 GHZ w/ 8GB (3.50 GB usable).
Have Windows 7 32-bit OS installed. I did the 'upgrade' to Vista move. I want to say the only
problem I had was in the upgrading. Well, I put in the W7 64-bit "on top" of the Vista 32-bit.

lol

That's a no-no!

Yeah, please flamethrowers aside. I should've known better! 32-bit to 32-bit. Play it safe. Not
only that, Adobe didn't appreciate the 64-bit architecture either. Flashplayer was very confused.
I decided, since the W7 upgrade package came with both DVDs to support 32-bit/64-bit, I installed
the 32-bit. Viola! That made every program happy ! I feel the need to up my RAM though.
Sure, I've 3.5 GB useable. But, I feel more comfortable in knowing I have more than that ready.

Sorry to inject my experiences, I hope it helps some!

Artwork graciously provided by Rogueusmc

(in reply to blemishednicely)
Post #: 35
RE: Dual vs Quad Core. - 3/19/2010 12:16:07 PM   
Ron Belcher

There still seems to be confusion on all sides of the 64-bit contraversy. Here, I thought that installing Windows 7 64bit program
would run with ease. That wasn't how I found it out to be. I reverted to Windows 7 32bit, and every program is getting along
very nicely.

Even still, I have 8 gigs of RAM & only 3.5 gigs are left available.

Post #: 36
RE: Dual vs Quad Core. - 3/22/2010 3:24:31 PM   
bradjones

Dual core is fine for me and I'm a serious gamer and wow addict. I must admit I only do a bit of video editing but the dual is fine for that. What amazes me is every time we get a new proccessor we think this is the one to solve every problem but the software always out paces the hardware.

(in reply to madgamer2)
Post #: 37
RE: Dual vs Quad Core. - 3/25/2010 11:16:35 AM   
marcbutler

I'm losing the will to live with all these processors it used to be easy to know what was best now I'm lost.  I have a dual core so are you guys saying any need a quad core?  I'd never even heard of one!

(in reply to bradjones)
Post #: 38
RE: Dual vs Quad Core. - 3/25/2010 12:17:46 PM   
Ron Belcher

no! Dual core's are fine... all pends on what you want to do with the PC, really.
I have a quad core.. personally.. only cuz I got a good deal for it. If I did not
get the deal... I'd prob go for the new Intel chips (again.. a personal preferance).

http://www.intel.com/consumer/products/processors/corei7-extreme.htm?cid=cim:ggl|ci7extdtop_us_brand|rdFECC|s

(in reply to marcbutler)
Post #: 39
RE: Dual vs Quad Core. - 3/25/2010 8:44:49 PM   
uncc

the spambots have taken over this thread...even have spambots "responding" to spambots

< Message edited by uncc -- 3/25/2010 8:45:33 PM >

It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once -- David Hume, Scottish philosopher (1711 - 1776)

(in reply to Ron Belcher)
Post #: 40
RE: Dual vs Quad Core. - 3/26/2010 12:32:31 AM   
Ron Belcher

(in reply to uncc)
Post #: 41
RE: Dual vs Quad Core. - 4/12/2010 10:55:45 AM   
Fishman

More cores are better, but for a single program that is not designed to function as a multicore-aware program, it can only use one core, so the performance gains beyond a second core for "all your other crap" are negligible at best, and may even get worse if the program copes badly with multicoredom.

(in reply to madgamer2)
Post #: 42
RE: Dual vs Quad Core. - 4/18/2010 11:59:12 AM   
MAHI567

Maybe in Windows the time of the Quad core or even the Duo core hasn't arrived yet, but in Linux the multicore processors have been supported for a lot longer and I wouldn't be surprised if you find many more apps in Linux that are natively multithreaded. How about rerunning your comparison in Linux and see who's the winner there where neither processor has the advantage. Both are well supported in Linux where as many of the tests in Windows lopsidedly tainted toward Intel products. In other words, try a scenario where the processors are treated equally by the testing software.

(in reply to Nemo121)
Post #: 43
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [General] >> Unofficial Tech Support By Gamers for Gamers >> RE: Dual vs Quad Core. Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI