Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Game is completely unplayable due to hangs/lock ups

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War I] >> World War One Gold >> Tech Support >> RE: Game is completely unplayable due to hangs/lock ups Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Game is completely unplayable due to hangs/lock ups - 3/9/2009 9:32:14 PM   
Blueprint

Anthropoid, the sad truth is players will impulsively buy games they want immediatly whatever the company reputation. if not, most of the current big actors on the PC game market wouldn't sell anymore.

And then...5 years ago, Neither AGEOD nor FOF and CoGE were existing. IQ Software wasn't created . Slitherine maybe was yet acting ( and frankly, tehy released some rather poor games in the past). 2 by3 had released WAr in the Pacific a monster game with its lot of bugs. Who really remember today these bugs?

The only common point is John Tiller's games

WW1 is another monster wargame. In the next 5 years, some companies will disappear, maybe other will appear and maybe WW1 will be bug free and no one will anymore care of the initial bugs.

And gamers will be yet buying some games on the spot simply because they want it immediatly...

(in reply to MorningDew)
Post #: 31
RE: Game is completely unplayable due to hangs/lock ups - 3/9/2009 9:40:14 PM   
Joram

I have nightmares of banging my head against a board with nails in it yet at times that still seems preferable to playing this game.  But anyhooo, simple yes/no question here.  Is the game playable yet?

(in reply to Blueprint)
Post #: 32
RE: Game is completely unplayable due to hangs/lock ups - 3/9/2009 9:50:53 PM   
Blueprint

yes.

That's not to say some will not experience ctds here and there.

That's not to say some points of the GUI hadn't to be improved.

But definitly, yes the game is currently playable. AAR here http://www.ageod.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13401 and here http://www.si-games.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17114&page=3

(in reply to Joram)
Post #: 33
RE: Game is completely unplayable due to hangs/lock ups - 3/9/2009 11:38:14 PM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

ORIGINAL: Blueprint
And then...5 years ago, Neither AGEOD nor FOF and CoGE were existing. IQ Software wasn't created . Slitherine maybe was yet acting ( and frankly, tehy released some rather poor games in the past). 2 by3 had released WAr in the Pacific a monster game with its lot of bugs. Who really remember today these bugs?

COG was released in 2004, five years ago. Slitherine was also around and had released several top-selling games (you may not have enjoyed them, but many others did). War in the Pacific had followed Uncommon Valor, both very well received and WITP and UV were playable right out of the box.

I do agree with you that every "monster" game does have bugs at release (in fact, I would say that every game has bugs on release - even the apparently "bug free" and simple games usually have at least a few though they may only be known to the development team).

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Blueprint)
Post #: 34
RE: Game is completely unplayable due to hangs/lock ups - 3/10/2009 12:08:28 AM   
Blueprint

Whatever the initial release state of WIP, the real point is its current state. I understand frustration expressed here but I remain convinced money spent in WW1 isn't definitly lost...

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 35
RE: Game is completely unplayable due to hangs/lock ups - 3/10/2009 12:47:03 AM   
MorningDew

quote:

ORIGINAL: Blueprint
I understand frustration expressed here but I remain convinced money spent in WW1 isn't definitly lost...

Well stated. As I said before, I think all will agree it was a mistake to release it when they did, but for me, that's water under the bridge and I remain convinced it was not a mistake to buy it (although I understand those that are waiting or wish they had waited). In fact, I already enjoy it and look forward to each new patch.

Heck...I look at it this way. Where else would I have put that money? In the stock market???? WWI was a better investment:)

(in reply to Blueprint)
Post #: 36
RE: Game is completely unplayable due to hangs/lock ups - 3/10/2009 1:52:46 AM   
Anthropoid

quote:

ORIGINAL: AndrewKurtz

quote:

ORIGINAL: Anthropoid
All I'm saying is: wouldn't a good game do BETTER business in the long-run by undergoing a bit longer development period to work out the kinks? You would think that corporate finance types would have thought through those kinda analyses pretty carefully.

You've obviously never dealt with my accountants

Two other comments:

1. I've been one of those supporting AGEod (for comment #2 below) since a few days after the release of WWI, but I don't remember hearing anyone (including myself) say WWI should have been released when it was. It was clearly not ready and should not have been release and all comments to this effect I agree with whole heartedly (but I do not agree at all with with the same comment being made about BoA, AACW, NCP or WiA).

2. One thing I don't understand is anyone claiming AGEod doesn't support their games. I've found BoA, AACW, NCP and WiA all playable from day one. Perfect? No. Playable? Very. Supported? Amazingly. That's why I've been supportive of AGEod with WWI. Everything I've ever seen from them tells me it will continue to be be supported and will achieve it's potential. But to point #1, it should not have been like this.

Good points. I certainly don't want to detract from Ageod or the Devs in terms of their support of the game.

But I'd feel even better about lauding them if I still had not bought it yet, and you and I were beta-testers and 1.07 was going to be the release for retail version.

I can definitely empathize with them, and I agree that supporting these small cottage industries that we love so much is critical.

I think we support them MORE when we discourage them from releasing, or being railroaded into releasing their products before they are ready for market.

World War One: La Grande Geurre is a brilliant work of art. It just wasn't done before the crowds were let in to look at it, and now there have been quite a few prospective customers who have been turned sour because they expected a finished product day one. That is not a smart way to approach the business, and I am asking, and encouraging whomever is reading this and may have any influence on such things to do everything in your power to prevent such things from happening because ultimately, it harms our hobby.

Brilliant, innovative, ambitious games that get rushed to market are not likely to provoke more and better innovative, ambitious games in future, nor are they likely to optimally satisfy maker, designer, publisher, financial backer, or customer.

ADDIT: I agree; money spent on WWI is not "lost." I have played it probably 6 or 7 times for several hours each time and enjoyed it, despite being quite frustrated by it too.

But the fact remains: the last I played this game without going into my Taskmanager to turn off as much stuff as possible, I suffered hangs and CTDs. Turn off the stuff (a minor annoyance during my evening of surfing and gaming, but an annoyance nonetheless) and it works okay, but still an occastional delay and session did finally end with a CTD a few hours later.

Add to this that there is a persistent problem with the mouse-click-select routine seeming to have a very elusive 'sweet spot' . . . well, I'm just a wee bit skeptical that these issues are going to get addressed is all. Not saying I'm definitely convinced they will not get addressed, but since they are issues dealing with (most likely?) either (a) conflicts with other apps and/or (b) fundamental aspects of how teh game is coded?, I cannot help but wonder if they will in fact be addressable with a patch.

If they CAN be addressed with a reasonable amount of patching, I have every faith that Calvinus will get it done and the game will eventually run flawlessly on most all systems.

< Message edited by Anthropoid -- 3/10/2009 2:01:58 AM >

The x-ray is her siren song. My ship cannot resist her long. Nearer to my deadly goal. Until the black hole. Gains control...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkIIlkyZ328&feature=autoplay&list=AL94UKMTqg-9CocLGbd6tpbuQRxyF4FGNr&playnext=3

(in reply to MorningDew)
Post #: 37
RE: Game is completely unplayable due to hangs/lock ups - 3/10/2009 1:01:45 PM   
Stwa

Muhahahahahaha!

It continues!

The CURSE worked!

(in reply to Anthropoid)
Post #: 38
RE: Game is completely unplayable due to hangs/lock ups - 3/10/2009 4:36:56 PM   
06 Maestro

quote:

ORIGINAL: Stwa

Muhahahahahaha!

It continues!

The CURSE worked!

I should have known it was you! Why, why, Stwa?

Banking establishments are more dangerous than standing armies.

Thomas Jefferson

(in reply to Stwa)
Post #: 39
RE: Game is completely unplayable due to hangs/lock ups - 3/13/2009 5:21:12 AM   
Jonny_B

Absolutly

Aqua Team Hunger Force
3rd Infantry Division (mech)
Rock of the Marne

(in reply to MorningDew)
Post #: 40
RE: Game is completely unplayable due to hangs/lock ups - 3/23/2009 3:44:21 AM   
Anthropoid

Has anyone ever read a book on the history of computer strategy games? If so give me the reference.

The x-ray is her siren song. My ship cannot resist her long. Nearer to my deadly goal. Until the black hole. Gains control...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkIIlkyZ328&feature=autoplay&list=AL94UKMTqg-9CocLGbd6tpbuQRxyF4FGNr&playnext=3

(in reply to Jonny_B)
Post #: 41
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War I] >> World War One Gold >> Tech Support >> RE: Game is completely unplayable due to hangs/lock ups Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI