Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Only tweaking is left

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: Only tweaking is left Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Only tweaking is left - 2/13/2009 8:29:57 PM   
Terminus

Actually, we HAVE gotten a build out of 1941 yet. More than once, in fact. We're very conscious that we shouldn't just test the same 2 months over and over again.

And no, you still can't have the game.

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

(in reply to vettim89)
Post #: 31
RE: Only tweaking is left - 2/13/2009 8:31:36 PM   
Graycompany

Term, did you ever work at the DMV? Department of Motor Vehicles? lol

I thought this place was a empire, now im the last, I can't be sure...

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 32
RE: Only tweaking is left - 2/13/2009 8:32:32 PM   
Terminus

No.

(in reply to Graycompany)
Post #: 33
RE: Only tweaking is left - 2/13/2009 8:37:02 PM   
BJStone

quote:

ORIGINAL: jwilkerson

Well keep in mind that the actual "release" will not sneak up on you. Based on patterns we've seen in previous game releases, the actual release will be proceeded by a GOLD announcement, followed by a period of release preparation, followed by the actual release. So once you see a GOLD announcement, then you know a release will follow. How long in between GOLD and release is outside the control of the AE Team, this is a Matrix activity, but it will mostly depend on when the various components can be brought together to make the release happen. Officially I'd expect the gap to be about 30-60 days, but we've seen less and we've seen more.

lol. Soooo - once it's gone gold we gamers can introduce an e-mail campaign to Matrix, with daily e-mails politely requesting they get the lead out and make the game available?

-BJ

(in reply to jwilkerson)
Post #: 34
RE: Only tweaking is left - 2/13/2009 8:44:03 PM   
Yamato hugger

There have been Ai v AI games run into 46. A lot of them. There have been players vs AI that have gotten quite a ways in - I am not one of them. I never got an AI game past Dec 9, I (personally) have no interest in the AI. Not saying my view is the correct one for everyone, but it works for me.

Tree and I have started probably a dozen games. Doesnt take a long run to find a bug in the way the program executes. Job 1 to me is to make sure things run like they should. Are supplies flowing where they are supposed to? What effect does bombing have on this or that? Is there a bad spot on the map? How smooth is the UI? There are thousands of things I look at every time I run a turn, and I dont have to be in 1944 to see them. And if I am still finding bugs in 1941, why should I worry about whats out there in 1945? Are there 6 MG sections in this unit or 5? I dont care about that frankly. Does the game WORK? Thats what my focus is on.

1 step at a time. Crawl before you walk, walk before you run.

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 35
RE: Only tweaking is left - 2/13/2009 8:45:34 PM   
Terminus

The point is that things which are working in 1941 might cease working in 1945, and we've been looking at that too. Did we catch everything? Hopefully, but unlikely.

(in reply to Yamato hugger)
Post #: 36
RE: Only tweaking is left - 2/13/2009 8:59:56 PM   
CV Zuikaku

quote:

ORIGINAL: Terminus

Actually, we HAVE gotten a build out of 1941 yet. More than once, in fact. We're very conscious that we shouldn't just test the same 2 months over and over again.

can we test the game?!
We can pay for it, test it while being developed, and when it gets gold status... we get the final release!
I think that is a good deal!

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 37
RE: Only tweaking is left - 2/13/2009 9:15:03 PM   
vettim89

quote:

The point is that things which are working in 1941 might cease working in 1945, and we've been looking at that too. Did we catch everything? Hopefully, but unlikely.

Exactly. If you never tested the original WITP product beyond 1943 you would never see the pilot bug. Now I know that problem is fixed but could there be a new bug buried in all this revamped code? Only time will tell. BTW, my original post specfically made comments about "the current build" being tested in late 1941/early 1942. It is unlikely any minor change would create a fatal bug but you cannot be sure until you try.

"We have met the enemy and they are ours" - Commodore O.H. Perry

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 38
RE: Only tweaking is left - 2/13/2009 11:16:11 PM   
Tanaka

quote:

ORIGINAL: CV Zuikaku

quote:

can we test the game?!
We can pay for it, test it while being developed, and when it gets gold status... we get the final release!
I think that is a good deal!

See Stardock

(in reply to CV Zuikaku)
Post #: 39
RE: Only tweaking is left - 2/13/2009 11:47:09 PM   
jcjordan

Well as Yamato & Terminus have said, there's no such thing as AE so what's the big deal with a release date of something that doesn't even exist????

(in reply to Tanaka)
Post #: 40
RE: Only tweaking is left - 2/14/2009 12:07:06 AM   
tocaff

There you go. play test AE for the duration of the war and then to be sure replay it many more times to verify that things work properly.  

Todd

I never thought that doing an AAR would be so time consuming and difficult.
www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2080768

(in reply to vettim89)
Post #: 41
RE: Only tweaking is left - 2/14/2009 1:28:45 AM   
Chad Harrison

quote:

ORIGINAL: tocaff

There you go. play test AE for the duration of the war and then to be sure replay it many more times to verify that things work properly.  

That was my thought. A game of this size, and this scope and this length can not be tested entirely. Its impossible. I have no doubt that they are catching many, many bugs. But when playing one game to completion takes over 1000 turns, its impossible to find all the late game bugs.

But as the devs said above, most of the bugs they find in December 1941 apply through the entire war and can be fixed. Just like WitP, it will certainly continue to get patches long after the release date to address things that only thousands of people playing the game, whether against the AI or a human, will find.

Personally, I am looking forward to my testing of AE

(in reply to tocaff)
Post #: 42
RE: Only tweaking is left - 2/14/2009 1:38:41 AM   
TOMLABEL

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chad Harrison

quote:

ORIGINAL: tocaff

That was my thought. A game of this size, and this scope and this length can not be tested entirely. Its impossible. I have no doubt that they are catching many, many bugs. But when playing one game to completion takes over 1000 turns, its impossible to find all the late game bugs.

But as the devs said above, most of the bugs they find in December 1941 apply through the entire war and can be fixed. Just like WitP, it will certainly continue to get patches long after the release date to address things that only thousands of people playing the game, whether against the AI or a human, will find.

Personally, I am looking forward to my testing of AE

Now, that's the appropriate attitude!!! Chad get's the GOLD star today.

TOMLABEL

Art by the Rogue-USMC

WITP Admiral's Edition: Ship & Sub Art/Base Unit Art/Map Icon Art

"If destruction be our lot - it will come from within"...Abraham Lincoln

(in reply to Chad Harrison)
Post #: 43
RE: Only tweaking is left - 2/14/2009 1:53:22 PM   
Chad Harrison

quote:

ORIGINAL: TOMLABEL

TOMLABEL

Hooray!

So, lets get down to details: who do I turn the gold star in to and get the beta AE download?

(in reply to TOMLABEL)
Post #: 44
RE: Only tweaking is left - 2/14/2009 2:15:44 PM   
Kaletsch2007

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chad Harrison

quote:

ORIGINAL: TOMLABEL

TOMLABEL

Hooray!

So, lets get down to details: who do I turn the gold star in to and get the beta AE download?

Sorry for disappointing you. It is like all other medals. It is there to honor you, not to be sold or exchanged.
You will wait, like I have to do

< Message edited by Kaletsch2007 -- 2/14/2009 2:16:25 PM >

(in reply to Chad Harrison)
Post #: 45
RE: Only tweaking is left - 2/14/2009 3:17:21 PM   
Kull

Sometimes I wonder. Does anybody for one minute, actually think the "Release Checklist" includes a heavily weighted item titled "Users really, really, really, REALLY want it right now!"? Kudos to Matrix for their patience, because lots of other games DO have a nearly identical item on their checklists (just substitute "Publisher" for "User").

(in reply to Kaletsch2007)
Post #: 46
RE: Only tweaking is left - 2/14/2009 3:28:57 PM   
langleyCV1

Tweak away guys thanks for all your efforts, I am all set for the release of AE as soon as you are done testing.

MJT

(in reply to vettim89)
Post #: 47
RE: Only tweaking is left - 2/14/2009 3:55:51 PM   
51st Highland Div

Much rather wait and get as best a bug free copy as possible than get something released that requires a path larger than the initial release to patch into something resembling a game,seen that happen a few times
So kudos on the developers/testers on making sure things are ready to go when their ready..

https://i.ibb.co/SRBTPGK/hmsglasgowmatrix.jpg

The beatings will continue until morale improves....

Banner thanks to RogueUSMC

(in reply to langleyCV1)
Post #: 48
RE: Only tweaking is left - 2/14/2009 4:57:01 PM   
CV Zuikaku

Digital download of AE will be available? I hope...

(in reply to 51st Highland Div)
Post #: 49
RE: Only tweaking is left - 2/14/2009 5:06:58 PM   
51st Highland Div

Hope so,would probably get the digital download/phsyical copy for back up as only got the Digital Copy of WitP when it came out and it got subsequently erased by a faulty hard-drive..do'oh

(in reply to CV Zuikaku)
Post #: 50
RE: Only tweaking is left - 2/14/2009 5:11:51 PM   
CV Zuikaku

You are free to download only a month after purchase, don't you? Try to e-mail the Matrix guys, I'm sure they let you download it again....

Post #: 51
RE: Only tweaking is left - 2/14/2009 5:14:49 PM   
51st Highland Div

Just went ahead and bought another copy of it again but learned my lesson then as the copy was bought a few years ago and the email serial number also lost in the limbo of time (and another internet provider)..so be warned  

(in reply to CV Zuikaku)
Post #: 52
RE: Only tweaking is left - 2/14/2009 6:15:23 PM   
Grotius

If you bought WITP by digital download, you can redownload it through Digital River much later, as long as you still have your order and/or serial number (I forget which). I just did so a few weeks ago, and I bought the game four years ago.

I'm also glad the AE team is taking the time to make the game as good as possible. At the same time, I personally don't expect a bug-free release of any piece of software this complex. I fully expect there to be patches. I don't mind.

Post #: 53
RE: Only tweaking is left - 2/14/2009 6:20:48 PM   
Yamato hugger

quote:

whats AE?

(in reply to CV Zuikaku)
Post #: 54
RE: Only tweaking is left - 2/14/2009 6:36:45 PM   
Terminus

quote:

No. You can only buy a box copy, and you have to go pick it up yourself at Matrix HQ.

(in reply to CV Zuikaku)
Post #: 55
RE: Only tweaking is left - 2/14/2009 7:18:20 PM   
Ol_Dog

What's the street address?

Common Sense is an uncommon virtue.
If you think you have everything under control, you don't fully understand the situation.

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 56
RE: Only tweaking is left - 2/14/2009 7:48:06 PM   
Dili

And before that you have to go to Denmark to see T err..Santa.

(in reply to Ol_Dog)
Post #: 57
RE: Only tweaking is left - 2/14/2009 7:58:07 PM   
DaveB

Personally I think this is all getting to be rather beyond a joke, this expansion should be grabbed by the scruff of its neck and brought to market - as a mere customer my impression is that it's become a private plaything of the beta testers, and that nobody gives a hoot about the uncomfortable period it has overrun release estimate by.... I feel that Matrix are being rather complacent about their market, which was always going to be pretty small to begin with. Please don't bother with the 'do you want a bugged version on time or a fixed one later' rubbish - properly managed projects include bugtesting time.

Sorry to sound all grumpy, but I care about WITP and I'm beginning to think the 3 Stooges are managing it.

(in reply to vettim89)
Post #: 58
RE: Only tweaking is left - 2/14/2009 8:00:44 PM   
Don Bowen

quote:

ORIGINAL: DaveB

Personally I think this is all getting to be rather beyond a joke, this expansion should be grabbed by the scruff of its neck and brought to market - as a mere customer my impression is that it's become a private plaything of the beta testers, and that nobody gives a hoot about the uncomfortable period it has overrun release estimate by.... I feel that Matrix are being rather complacent about their market, which was always going to be pretty small to begin with. Please don't bother with the 'do you want a bugged version on time or a fixed one later' rubbish - properly managed projects include bugtesting time.

Sorry to sound all grumpy, but I care about WITP and I'm beginning to think the 3 Stooges are managing it.

Bovine feces. We be working as fastest as we can.

(in reply to DaveB)
Post #: 59
RE: Only tweaking is left - 2/14/2009 8:06:12 PM   
DaveB

..and this "The Admiral’s Edition expansion is currently scheduled for an early Summer, 2008 release." was therefore PR spin, or somebody not appreciating what the job entailed - both are still under the general heading of management of the project Don.

(in reply to Don Bowen)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: Only tweaking is left Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI