Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Barbarossa and Army Group Center in pictures

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> RE: Barbarossa and Army Group Center in pictures Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Barbarossa and Army Group Center in pictures - 7/24/2009 6:35:55 AM   
Orm

quote:

ORIGINAL: brian brian

ahh, but what if Mannerheim traces 2 hexes overland to the road to Helsinki, also a secondary supply source for German units? There another path can start, the way we play, and that would get it done with the one-hex overseas requirement for the German unit.

Answered in previous post:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Joseignacio
... Mannstein wouldn't have any problem to use his 4 hexes reduced to 2 in rain, to reach the road, reaching Helsinki, and use 1 of the new 4 hexes of the line Helsinki- Königsberg. All the same, it could "feed" with supply to german units up to 2 hexes away from itself in the worst climatic case.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Froonp
No because it is he who traces (Mannerheim, not Mannstein :-)), not Helsinki.
A railway supply path can ONLY be between a secondary and a primary.
From a secondary to a secondary, this will be a basic supply path (4 hexes).

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to brian brian)
Post #: 121
RE: Barbarossa and Army Group Center in pictures - 7/24/2009 6:41:24 AM   
Orm

For the first time USSR now has a decent defence line. Reserves are a bit to low for comfort and there is still a risk of outflanking.

Picture taken at the end of Allied Impulse 3, September/October 41.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Orm -- 7/24/2009 7:27:56 AM >

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 122
RE: Barbarossa and Army Group Center in pictures - 7/24/2009 7:02:20 AM   
Snydly

Man I feel for the Germans ... looks like an otherwise promising Offensive has now been bogged down by storms and mud ... which also means the impulse marker is moving quickly on the chart.

I predict Germans will have a sucessful taking of Moscow in Nov/Dec but the Russians will counter attack and retake Moscow ... for national pride.

Looking forward to playing my favorite board game WIF on the computer.

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 123
RE: Barbarossa and Army Group Center in pictures - 7/24/2009 7:24:28 AM   
paulderynck

Deleted - duplicated Post #121

< Message edited by paulderynck -- 7/24/2009 7:25:00 AM >

Paul

Post #: 124
RE: Barbarossa and Army Group Center in pictures - 7/24/2009 8:34:31 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: Snydly

Man I feel for the Germans ... looks like an otherwise promising Offensive has now been bogged down by storms and mud ... which also means the impulse marker is moving quickly on the chart.

I predict Germans will have a sucessful taking of Moscow in Nov/Dec but the Russians will counter attack and retake Moscow ... for national pride.

The scenario is 5 turns long. This is the 3rd impulse of the 3rd turn.

If some decent weather happens, the Germans have a shot at Moscow. But the Russians counterattacking in the winter is a serious threat - and then the game will be over.

Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.

(in reply to Snydly)
Post #: 125
RE: Barbarossa and Army Group Center in pictures - 7/24/2009 4:53:23 PM   
brian brian

I kept forgetting that the Mannerheim HQ was two hexes from the road as well, and the hypothetical German unit was then two hexes from Mannerheim. And, I never realized that adding an extra secondary link, such as using Helsinki, can't be a railway path in all these times of playing the game. Thankfully the computer will soon keep me straight on this stuff.

I like playing the Barbarossa scenario on occasion, but we usually just end up kibbitzing about the long-term implications for Germany and Russia. With Orm's wonderful AAR being just about to the exact mid-point, I was wondering how each side stands in terms of the victory conditions for the scenario?

I think the early aircraft dice and the all important weather roll at the beginning of Sep/Oct 41 just may have saved the Russian bacon in this one.

I also frequently forget that when attacking enemy armor, you can use an overall advantage in armor, i.e. the power to select the combat table used, to still pick assault in an attempt to actually kill the enemy armored units. This is especially true when these enemy tanks leave clear terrain, and when a power, such as the Russians in 43 or so, can afford some infantry casualties and have a three hex front to attack from. A +5 attack on two German ARM? Let's make that an assault.

(in reply to Shannon V. OKeets)
Post #: 126
RE: Barbarossa and Army Group Center in pictures - 7/25/2009 10:14:21 AM   
Orm

quote:

I like playing the Barbarossa scenario on occasion, but we usually just end up kibbitzing about the long-term implications for Germany and Russia. With Orm's wonderful AAR being just about to the exact mid-point, I was wondering how each side stands in terms of the victory conditions for the scenario?

Victory Points:
Germany: 20
USSR: 21

So USSR is ahead by one point. I find it a bit funny that at the moment the victory points is exactly as the historical outcome was.

Post #: 127
RE: Barbarossa and Army Group Center in pictures - 7/26/2009 10:45:08 PM   
Orm

The weather turns unexpected to clear (30% chance) so Germany decides that Rundstedt should launch an offensive to break the Soviet defensive line from the south. Massive bombing raids by Stukas against Zhukov fails in large part by the 2 antiair brigades stationed in the area surrounding Zhukov´s HQ. Germany seeks comfort that the Soviet union lost its best fighter in the intense air combat.

Picture taken at German Land Combat Declaration, Impulse 5, September/October 41.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 128
RE: Barbarossa and Army Group Center in pictures - 8/11/2009 10:06:09 AM   
Orm

German attacks goes better than expected. Germany is now close to encircle Moscow. Both Rundstedt and von Bock organized German units leaving most of the German forces ready to continue the attack but could lead to supply trouble with only von Leeb mobile.

Picture taken at end of German Impulse 5, September/October 41.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 129
RE: Barbarossa and Army Group Center in pictures - 8/11/2009 5:17:03 PM   
peskpesk

Looks like a big game over for Russia.

"'Malta - The Thorn in Rommel's Side"

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 130
RE: Barbarossa and Army Group Center in pictures - 8/12/2009 10:01:32 PM   
brian brian

In a full war, this would be dangerous for Russia, although at this point they could still preserve their armor for the future by keeping it out of Stuka range. I think they got lucky with that with poor dice for the Luftwaffe earlier in the summer.

For this scenario and it's particular victory conditions, things still seem to hang on a very fine edge for each side.

(in reply to peskpesk)
Post #: 131
RE: Barbarossa and Army Group Center in pictures - 8/16/2009 9:12:09 PM   
Orm

USSR sends 2 bombers to ground strike the last face up German HQ. The German fighter aborts both bombers. USSR rails in 3 militia and manages to create a thin defence line around Moscow.

Picture taken at end of Aircraft Rebase in USSR Impulse 6, September/October 41.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 132
RE: Barbarossa and Army Group Center in pictures - 8/17/2009 10:21:25 PM   
brian brian

thanks again Orm! this last picture creates a quick question for me: How does MWiF decide on a status indicator for a stack? The top unit? Majority rules? Multiple indicators?

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 133
RE: Barbarossa and Army Group Center in pictures - 8/17/2009 10:51:59 PM   
Orm

quote:

thanks again Orm! this last picture creates a quick question for me: How does MWiF decide on a status indicator for a stack? The top unit? Majority rules? Multiple indicators?

It is the indicators of the top unit that is shown.

Post #: 134
RE: Barbarossa and Army Group Center in pictures - 8/18/2009 1:08:06 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

Both the Flyouts and Units in Hex forms let you see the status indicators for all the units in the stack. [This example is not from the game that Orm is reporting on.]

Attachment (1)

Steve

Post #: 135
RE: Barbarossa and Army Group Center in pictures - 8/19/2009 10:21:08 PM   
Orm

The weather turns to rain (60% for bad weather) and the German offensive stops. Most attacks give to low odds for Germany to dare even when it is late in the turn. The possibility to take 2, or even up to 4, units as losses is to scary. The best odds Germany could get on one of the hexes that are not attacked was only +2 on the 2d10 attack table.

Picture taken at German Land Combat Declaration, Impulse 7, September/October 41.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 136
RE: Barbarossa and Army Group Center in pictures - 8/20/2009 6:28:40 PM   
AbeSimpson

Fine aar! IMO one of the best "you have to buy this game" argument seen here. 

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 137
RE: Barbarossa and Army Group Center in pictures - 8/20/2009 10:38:05 PM   
Orm

Turn ends early (only 10% for it to end) to Germanys dismay. USSR wins the initiative after Germany asked for a reroll.

Picture taken at the beginning of USSR Impulse 1, November/December 41.

The scenario ends after the January/February turn 1942.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Orm -- 8/20/2009 10:41:32 PM >

(in reply to AbeSimpson)
Post #: 138
RE: Barbarossa and Army Group Center in pictures - 8/21/2009 12:50:07 AM   
Grapeshot Bob

quote:

ORIGINAL: Orm

Turn ends early (only 10% for it to end) to Germanys dismay. USSR wins the initiative after Germany asked for a reroll.

Ooooh. It's enough to take the starch out of your shirt.

Bummer for the boys at OKH.

I look forward to the rest of this.

Mark

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 139
RE: Barbarossa and Army Group Center in pictures - 8/21/2009 2:56:46 PM   
composer99

So the big question is: now that it is snow, is there anywhere the USSR could look at launching its big winter counter-offensive?

It would have to be careful. If Germany still has its o-chit in its pocket Moscow could yet fall.

~ Composer99

(in reply to Grapeshot Bob)
Post #: 140
RE: Barbarossa and Army Group Center in pictures - 8/21/2009 3:19:07 PM   
Orm

quote:

ORIGINAL: composer99

So the big question is: now that it is snow, is there anywhere the USSR could look at launching its big winter counter-offensive?

It would have to be careful. If Germany still has its o-chit in its pocket Moscow could yet fall.

Germany used its offensive during Impulse 5, September/October 41.

(in reply to composer99)
Post #: 141
RE: Barbarossa and Army Group Center in pictures - 8/21/2009 5:19:25 PM   
composer99

Sounds like time to go to town.

~ Composer99

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 142
RE: Barbarossa and Army Group Center in pictures - 8/23/2009 6:31:47 PM   
Orm

The Soviet Union now feels that Moscow is secure but that reserves are to low.

Picture taken at the end of USSR Impulse 1, November/December 41.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Orm -- 8/23/2009 6:32:44 PM >

(in reply to composer99)
Post #: 143
RE: Barbarossa and Army Group Center in pictures - 8/24/2009 1:24:52 PM   
micheljq

Secured? The german broke the front in the south with a large gap and they are exploiting it.

Michel Desjardins,
"Patriotism is a virtue of the vicious" - Oscar Wilde
"History is a set of lies agreed upon" - Napoleon Bonaparte after the battle of Waterloo, june 18th, 1815

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 144
RE: Barbarossa and Army Group Center in pictures - 8/24/2009 2:05:14 PM   
Orm

quote:

ORIGINAL: micheljq

Secured? The german broke the front in the south with a large gap and they are exploiting it.

Indeed.

But remember that this is the Barbarossa scenario. Next turn is the last turn. With the weather this bad and the turn advancing fast towards the end, I, as USSR, belive that Moscow will hold untill the end.

With such bad weather as it is now it is now there a modifier for more bad weather next impulse as well. If the weather turns fine this turn it could still be trouble for Moscow but it is only 10% chance of that happening.

What I ment with secure was that with the current weather, snow, Germany would not be able to make any decent attacks on the defence line surronding Moscow. Also note the word "feels".

Maybe a picture of the southern front is appropriate now?

Picture taken at the end of USSR Impulse 1, November/December 41.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to micheljq)
Post #: 145
RE: Barbarossa and Army Group Center in pictures - 8/24/2009 7:17:56 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: micheljq

Orm's point is that this is a game, and as such, the rules at the start of the scenario stated there would be 5 turns (only). All games are like this, with things happening outside of the given simulation definition that can be argued up, down, and sideways.

As it is, the USSR is looking for a draw, not a win (or at least I think that is the status).

Steve

(in reply to micheljq)
Post #: 146
RE: Barbarossa and Army Group Center in pictures - 9/13/2009 2:15:57 PM   
Orm

Germany has at the moment a small victory and would like to capture additional cities but do not feel like taking low odds attacks in bad weather. Germany therefore just did one automatic attack on a 2-3 Militia.

The bad weather turned even worse...

Picture taken at the beginning of USSR Impulse 5, November/December 41.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Orm -- 9/13/2009 2:17:53 PM >

Post #: 147
RE: Barbarossa and Army Group Center in pictures - 9/14/2009 5:10:51 PM   
Orm

Not much happens during the storm. Both sides have trouble with the supply as well.

Picture taken at the beginning of German Impulse 7, November/December 41.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Orm -- 9/14/2009 5:13:10 PM >

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 148
RE: Barbarossa and Army Group Center in pictures - 9/14/2009 11:50:46 PM   
SLAAKMAN

I just want to enjoy watching a bloody exchange resulting in the annihilation of all forces involved on the very last impulse of the very last turn.

Germany's unforgivable crime before the Second World War was her attempt to extricate her economy from the world's trading system and to create her own exchange mechanism which would deny world finance its opportunity to profit.
— Winston Churchill

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 149
RE: Barbarossa and Army Group Center in pictures - 9/14/2009 11:52:40 PM   
SLAAKMAN

Ya'll wanna blow up dontcha?

He blowed up good!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dfoVqhQVyQ

Germany's unforgivable crime before the Second World War was her attempt to extricate her economy from the world's trading system and to create her own exchange mechanism which would deny world finance its opportunity to profit.
— Winston Churchill

(in reply to SLAAKMAN)
Post #: 150
Page:   <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> RE: Barbarossa and Army Group Center in pictures Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI