Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Cruiser On The Rocks

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> RE: Cruiser On The Rocks Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Cruiser On The Rocks - 2/17/2009 4:02:38 AM   
Mynok

quote:

ORIGINAL: khyberbill

quote:

Again? When was the last time the French declared war on Britain? I'm guessing the American revolution.

Well, there was that little dust up at Waterloo in 1815. Prior to that there was a rather famous battle at Trafalgar. I dont think there has been any conflict since then except on the soccer and rugby fields.

Um...but all the Napoleonic conflicts between the two were initiated by the British. France initiated plenty of wars in that time period, but none were against the British prior to a British declaration of war. Do point out if I've missed one, but I don't recall any. Britain warred against France because France warred against the continental powers. Britain made the choice to intervene.

"Measure civilization by the ability of citizens to mock government with impunity" -- Unknown

(in reply to khyberbill)
Post #: 31
RE: Cruiser On The Rocks - 2/17/2009 6:09:35 AM   
rockmedic109

The first of the wars started in 1793.  I thought it was started after French fortress at Brest fired upon a British frigate. 

(in reply to Mynok)
Post #: 32
RE: Cruiser On The Rocks - 2/17/2009 8:03:49 AM   
Fishbed

quote:

ORIGINAL: marky

ahh the french would just surrender 

ahh if you could ever grow up...

quote:

The first of the wars started in 1793. I thought it was started after French fortress at Brest fired upon a British frigate.

Im not sure the British were the ones who declared war on France, even though we were already in a quasi state of war before that... France in 1793 tended to be very enthusiastic when it came to declare war upon everybody averywhere.

(in reply to marky)
Post #: 33
RE: Cruiser On The Rocks - 2/17/2009 2:22:49 PM   
witpqs

Actually there were a number of wars between the two countries going back hundreds of years before that, yes?

(in reply to Fishbed)
Post #: 34
RE: Cruiser On The Rocks - 2/17/2009 3:38:33 PM   
gladiatt

Well, first, Hasting in 1066: duke of Normandy William won a conquest war against saxon kings (damn, can't remember wich one; Alfred ?)

Then, just took time for second generations to come, and from 1100 there were endless war, rivality, trials, treaty, exchange, successions, between french power and english power...last clash was in Africa, at Fachoda, something like 1888.

The french navy had a real rivality status against english navy...it was even bitter after Mers-El-Kebir....

Edit: even if our two country had hard time, and even if i don't know if personnaly, i must add that i feel ok with my favorite english threader here: Dixie. HYE Dixie

< Message edited by gladiatt -- 2/17/2009 3:41:07 PM >

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 35
RE: Cruiser On The Rocks - 2/17/2009 3:54:59 PM   
Dixie

quote:

ORIGINAL: gladiatt

Well, first, Hasting in 1066: duke of Normandy William won a conquest war against saxon kings (damn, can't remember wich one; Alfred ?)

Then, just took time for second generations to come, and from 1100 there were endless war, rivality, trials, treaty, exchange, successions, between french power and english power...last clash was in Africa, at Fachoda, something like 1888.

The french navy had a real rivality status against english navy...it was even bitter after Mers-El-Kebir....

Edit: even if our two country had hard time, and even if i don't know if personnaly, i must add that i feel ok with my favorite english threader here: Dixie. HYE Dixie

Le Hello mate The BAttle of Hastings was King Harold.

During the Napoleonic Wars Britain was, I think, the only nation that remained at war with Frnace for the entire duration since we were protected by the Royal Navy. I'm not sure who declared war on who though.

It's interesting that Mountbatten made a visit to Richelieu when she was part of the Eastern Fleet, the date he went aboard was 3rd July 1945, the fifth anniversary of Mers-El-Kebir...

Bigger boys stole my sig

(in reply to gladiatt)
Post #: 36
RE: Cruiser On The Rocks - 2/17/2009 3:56:57 PM   
gladiatt

Damn, i just remenbered Harold Godwinson (Alfred was the former King), but Dixie beat me on speed.

Mers-El-Kebir was a so sad story....

(in reply to Dixie)
Post #: 37
RE: Cruiser On The Rocks - 2/17/2009 3:57:11 PM   
Dixie

quote:

ORIGINAL: witpqs

From today's strategypage.net

http://www.strategypage.com/htmw/htsurf/articles/20090215.aspx

Cruiser On The Rocks

February 15, 2009: The USS Port Royal, an American cruiser, ran aground on February 5th, as it returned to its base in Hawaii after the first day of sea trials. The ship slid into a shoal of sand and rock, which was actually construction debris from a nearby air port. The Port Royal had spent the last four months in a shipyard, getting a normal batch of upgrades and maintenance. The 9,600 ton ship has been in service for 15 years, and is the 27th, and last, Ticonderoga class cruiser to be built.

It took four days to get the cruiser off the shoal, which was done by removing about a thousand tons of weight from the ship. It's not been announced how it hit the shoal, which is marked on charts. The Port Royal draws 33 feet of water, and the shoal is 22 feet under water. The captain of the Port Royal was relieved, which is normal for a grounding such as this.

The only damage mentioned is to the propellers (the tips were torn off), and a leak in one of the sonar domes. There was no hull breach. It is also believed that propeller shaft and shaft bearings will probably have to be replaced as well. In the old days before electric drive, her engines might have been screwed as well in this kind of situation. So hooray for electric drive, it saved the navy a lot of money in this case.

So after one day of sea trials, the Port Royal is headed right back to the shipyard and dry dock. There will probably be courts martial for whoever screwed up the navigation that put the ship on a known shoal. Professional mariners don't do that sort of thing in clear weather and calm seas.

I'm not sure how the USN handles this sort of thing, but I believe that in the RN the captain is always responsible for his vessel. This applies with civilian pilots guiding the ship as well. Which is as it should be really, if he's (or she's) in charge of millions of pounds of my tax money I damn well want someone to get in trouble for smashing it up

Bigger boys stole my sig

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 38
RE: Cruiser On The Rocks - 2/17/2009 7:26:26 PM   
TOMLABEL

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dixie

quote:

ORIGINAL: witpqs

From today's strategypage.net

http://www.strategypage.com/htmw/htsurf/articles/20090215.aspx

Cruiser On The Rocks

February 15, 2009: The USS Port Royal, an American cruiser, ran aground on February 5th, as it returned to its base in Hawaii after the first day of sea trials. The ship slid into a shoal of sand and rock, which was actually construction debris from a nearby air port. The Port Royal had spent the last four months in a shipyard, getting a normal batch of upgrades and maintenance. The 9,600 ton ship has been in service for 15 years, and is the 27th, and last, Ticonderoga class cruiser to be built.

It took four days to get the cruiser off the shoal, which was done by removing about a thousand tons of weight from the ship. It's not been announced how it hit the shoal, which is marked on charts. The Port Royal draws 33 feet of water, and the shoal is 22 feet under water. The captain of the Port Royal was relieved, which is normal for a grounding such as this.

The only damage mentioned is to the propellers (the tips were torn off), and a leak in one of the sonar domes. There was no hull breach. It is also believed that propeller shaft and shaft bearings will probably have to be replaced as well. In the old days before electric drive, her engines might have been screwed as well in this kind of situation. So hooray for electric drive, it saved the navy a lot of money in this case.

So after one day of sea trials, the Port Royal is headed right back to the shipyard and dry dock. There will probably be courts martial for whoever screwed up the navigation that put the ship on a known shoal. Professional mariners don't do that sort of thing in clear weather and calm seas.

I'm not sure how the USN handles this sort of thing, but I believe that in the RN the captain is always responsible for his vessel. This applies with civilian pilots guiding the ship as well. Which is as it should be really, if he's (or she's) in charge of millions of pounds of my tax money I damn well want someone to get in trouble for smashing it up

Pretty much the same. I'm sure that the CO, the OD, the JOD and probably the navigator will be flippin burgers soon.

Art by the Rogue-USMC

WITP Admiral's Edition: Ship & Sub Art/Base Unit Art/Map Icon Art

"If destruction be our lot - it will come from within"...Abraham Lincoln

(in reply to Dixie)
Post #: 39
RE: Cruiser On The Rocks - 2/17/2009 8:25:35 PM   
rockmedic109

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: gladiatt

Le Hello mate The BAttle of Hastings was King Harold.

During the Napoleonic Wars Britain was, I think, the only nation that remained at war with Frnace for the entire duration since we were protected by the Royal Navy. I'm not sure who declared war on who though.

It's interesting that Mountbatten made a visit to Richelieu when she was part of the Eastern Fleet, the date he went aboard was 3rd July 1945, the fifth anniversary of Mers-El-Kebir...

I believe the British and the French signed a peace treaty in 1803 that neither thought would last long enough for the ink to dry. My memory wants to say Peace treaty of Amiens, but I am not certain.

(in reply to Dixie)
Post #: 40
RE: Cruiser On The Rocks - 2/18/2009 1:11:36 AM   
Fishbed

Indeed it is Amiens :)

(in reply to rockmedic109)
Post #: 41
RE: Cruiser On The Rocks - 2/18/2009 7:55:37 AM   
Reg

quote:

Especially if he's not on board at the time!!! see HMS Nottingham's embarrassing incident in 2002.

Edit: A Link

< Message edited by Reg -- 2/18/2009 8:07:35 AM >

Cheers,
Reg.

(One day I will learn to spell - or check before posting....)
Uh oh, Firefox has a spell checker!! What excuse can I use now!!!

(in reply to Dixie)
Post #: 42
RE: Cruiser On The Rocks - 2/19/2009 5:27:35 AM   
Hornblower

quote:

ORIGINAL: bradfordkay

"PS - What is the significance of the name Port Royal for a cruiser name?"

Since the Ticonderoga class cruisers were named for battles in US history, I believe that this ship was named for the Battle of Port Royal Sound in the unfortunate conflict of the 1860s. What is the significance of naming a cruiser after this battle? I'm not sure. In the WW2 era it was carriers that were named for battles.

\
Civil war battle 1862..

(in reply to bradfordkay)
Post #: 43
RE: Cruiser On The Rocks - 2/19/2009 7:27:29 AM   
bradfordkay

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hornblower

quote:

Since the Ticonderoga class cruisers were named for battles in US history, I believe that this ship was named for the Battle of Port Royal Sound in the unfortunate conflict of the 1860s. What is the significance of naming a cruiser after this battle? I'm not sure. In the WW2 era it was carriers that were named for battles.

\
Civil war battle 1862..

It seems that some of our Yankee friends are unfamiliar with certain southern euphemisms for the War of Yankee Aggression.

fair winds,
Brad

(in reply to Hornblower)
Post #: 44
RE: Cruiser On The Rocks - 2/19/2009 10:39:27 AM   
whippleofd

quote:

It seems that some of our Yankee friends are unfamiliar with certain southern euphemisms for the War of Yankee Aggression.

Yes they are. Most think the war was about freeing the slaves. It was really about yankee governmental intrusion into states rights as set forth in the constitution.

Whipple

MMCS(SW/AW) 1981-2001
1981 RTC, SD
81-82 NPS, Orlando
82-85 NPTU, Idaho Falls
85-90 USS Truxtun (CGN-35)
90-93 USS George Washington (CVN-73)
93-96 NFAS Orlando
96-01 Navsea-08/Naval Reactors

Post #: 45
RE: Cruiser On The Rocks - 2/19/2009 11:55:38 AM   
rtrapasso

quote:

ORIGINAL: Whipple

quote:

Yes they are. Most think the war was about freeing the slaves. It was really about yankee governmental intrusion into states rights as set forth in the constitution.

Whipple

Only AFTER the War was this "true"... before the War, it was the South that insisted that the Federal government had the right to enforce its laws in state territory (i.e. - the Fugitive Slave Act.)

After the war, Jefferson Davis and several members of Confederate Cabinet wrote long treatises about how it was actually State's Rights was the actual cause of the conflict. Unfortunately for this theory, it is not borne up by their writings made before the war which usually categorically state quite the opposite.

After the War, the South was quite willing to take up the myth of State's Rights... i believed all this about State's Rights until about 10 years ago when i started reading extensively about what went on leading up to the war... i became rather disillusioned about the post-War Confederate claims.

(in reply to whippleofd)
Post #: 46
RE: Cruiser On The Rocks - 2/19/2009 6:59:07 PM   
bradfordkay

I wasn't talking about the cause of the war. I was talking about the way we southerners will rarely use the same name for the war that Yankees do, so when we mention it they don't realize that's what we are talking about! 

fair winds,
Brad

(in reply to rtrapasso)
Post #: 47
RE: Cruiser On The Rocks - 2/19/2009 11:00:01 PM   
rtrapasso

quote:

I wasn't talking about the cause of the war. I was talking about the way we southerners will rarely use the same name for the war that Yankees do, so when we mention it they don't realize that's what we are talking about! 

i think most people recognize the "code name" without too much difficulty...

Post #: 48
RE: Cruiser On The Rocks - 2/19/2009 11:06:49 PM   
bradfordkay

quote:

ORIGINAL: rtrapasso

quote:

i think most people recognize the "code name" without too much difficulty...

I have to refer you back to post #43!

fair winds,
Brad

(in reply to rtrapasso)
Post #: 49
RE: No blame game - 2/20/2009 2:35:53 AM   
Feinder

I'm really suprised at the comments towards lieniency (or however you spell it).

It basically amounts to a captain being being resonsible for everthing and every one on his ship, including everything that happens TO his ship.

In a similar, if not more "forgivable" scenario, altho ultimate results the same = Captain relieved. It doesn't even matter if it's not the captains "fault" (even if it was 2am and he was asleep in his quarters). Captain is still RESPONSIBLE. There is no, "I was asleep. The XO had the conn." You're the Captain, you're responsible, period. Ultimately it would be argued that if the XO wasn't a competant navigator, captain shouldn't have put him at the conn. Captain of a naval vessel is a huge responsibility, and they know exactly what it means when they take command. And as pointed out, there are plenty of folks standing in line behind you with immaculate records, so if you do screw up, there's a large pool of quality resources to choose your replacement.

-F-

"It is obvious that you have greatly over-estimated my regard for your opinion." - Me

(in reply to wworld7)
Post #: 50
RE: No blame game - 2/20/2009 4:49:05 AM   
Pistachio

quote:

ORIGINAL: Feinder
There is no, "I was asleep. The XO had the conn." You're the Captain, you're responsible, period. Ultimately it would be argued that if the XO wasn't a competant navigator, captain shouldn't have put him at the conn.

Right (although I do think Capt. McVeigh and Admiral Kimmel both got shafted). Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't it standard procedure for a 19th century RN captain to automatically face a court martial if he lost his ship - regardless of the reason? Or have I been reading too much C.S. Forester?

(in reply to Feinder)
Post #: 51
RE: No blame game - 2/22/2009 5:41:12 AM   
TOMLABEL

Latest update.... CRUISER ON THE BLOCKS...

Attachment (1)

Art by the Rogue-USMC

(in reply to Pistachio)
Post #: 52
RE: No blame game - 2/22/2009 5:42:05 AM   
TOMLABEL

Latest.

Attachment (1)

Art by the Rogue-USMC

(in reply to TOMLABEL)
Post #: 53
RE: No blame game - 2/22/2009 3:59:15 PM   
USSAmerica

Great pictures, Tom! 

Oh, and the pictures of the cruiser are good too. 

Mike

"Good times will set you free" - Jimmy Buffett

"They need more rum punch" - Me

Artwork by The Amazing Dixie

(in reply to TOMLABEL)
Post #: 54
RE: No blame game - 2/22/2009 4:09:22 PM   
Apollo11

Hi all,

quote:

ORIGINAL: USS America

Great pictures, Tom! 

Oh, and the pictures of the cruiser are good too. 

Mike, you mean that this Tom's picture is great?

Leo "Apollo11"

Prior Preparation & Planning Prevents Pathetically Poor Performance!

A & B: WitW, WitE, WbtS, GGWaW, GGWaW2-AWD, HttR, CotA, BftB, CF
P: UV, WitP, WitP-AE

(in reply to USSAmerica)
Post #: 55
RE: No blame game - 2/22/2009 5:10:27 PM   
bradfordkay

In one thread Tom issued an advisory to "keep your eyes on the red sweater". I'm sorry, but I'm having a difficult time doing that. My eyes keep wandering just slightly south of the sweater... 

fair winds,
Brad

(in reply to Apollo11)
Post #: 56
RE: Cruiser On The Rocks - 2/22/2009 7:59:49 PM   
AW1Steve

quote:

The US Navy has gone through a dizzying series of name change procedures since 1945.
CV's were named after US battles, or old ships of the USN.The USS Frankin D. Roosevelt changed this. Then presidents, Secretaries of defense and even congressmen had carriers named after them.
Battleships and large monitors (also Armored cruisers) were named after states. With the arrival of the Ohio class, States became names for SSBN's , then SSN's. Conneticut , then Virginia class.
Cruisers traditionally had city names , small cities and towns became gunboat names (also some old USN ships names). After the Long Beach , we stopped building cruisers, and begame building "Large Frigates" (which sounded less agressive. ) Large frigates were named after people...Truxton, Bainbridge, Yarnell and Halsy for examples. (They were DLG's). In the late 1970's they were renamed "cruisers" and the Ticonderoga class aegis cruisers had Carrier names....battles and old ships of the USN.

During this period city names went to LSD's, various landing vessels , LKA's , replenishment ships. In 1976 Hyman Rickover began naming submarines after cities to appeal to congressmen who were on good terms with him (the Los Angles class) . When pressed about the submarines traditionally being named after fish , he's quoted as saying "fish don't vote". He also named four submarines after congressmen. Also battle names were going to amphiibious landing ships like Tarawa, Saipan and Inchon. Today these ships are named Wasp, Essex and the newest one ,America.

Virtually every single naming tradition has been scrapped and rescrapped.The worst example is the three SSN's of the Seawolf class. Seawolf was to be a return to traditional naming. The next boat was named Connetict , the last Jimmy Carter! Confused yet?

In the mid 80's , I was asked to help out a local recruiter at nearby mall on a recruiter day . (He wanted a aviation type present , as we were a naval air station , and he was a surface type). An old timer wearing a USS Leyte cap came up to me. "I hear that they gave the name of my old carrier to a tin-can. Is that true ?' , he asked. "No , actually it's a cruiser " I replied. "Really? I was also on the Portland before the war. Is there a ships named for her?' "Yes , it's LSD", I replied. He looked panic stricken. "I was also on the cruiser Los Angles after the war. What the hell is she now a submarine?!". "I don't know how to tell you this, but yes, she is". "G--D----0 Navy"! he said, walking off and shaking his head.

Post #: 57
RE: Cruiser On The Rocks - 2/22/2009 8:14:21 PM   
khyberbill

quote:

The US Navy has gone through a dizzying series of name change procedures since 1945.
CV's were named after US battles, or old ships of the USN.The USS Frankin D. Roosevelt changed this. Then presidents, Secretaries of defense and even congressmen had carriers named after them.
Battleships and large monitors (also Armored cruisers) were named after states. With the arrival of the Ohio class, States became names for SSBN's , then SSN's. Conneticut , then Virginia class.
Cruisers traditionally had city names , small cities and towns became gunboat names (also some old USN ships names). After the Long Beach , we stopped building cruisers, and begame building "Large Frigates" (which sounded less agressive. ) Large frigates were named after people...Truxton, Bainbridge, Yarnell and Halsy for examples. (They were DLG's). In the late 1970's they were renamed "cruisers" and the Ticonderoga class aegis cruisers had Carrier names....battles and old ships of the USN.

During this period city names went to LSD's, various landing vessels , LKA's , replenishment ships. In 1976 Hyman Rickover began naming submarines after cities to appeal to congressmen who were on good terms with him (the Los Angles class) . When pressed about the submarines traditionally being named after fish , he's quoted as saying "fish don't vote". He also named four submarines after congressmen. Also battle names were going to amphiibious landing ships like Tarawa, Saipan and Inchon. Today these ships are named Wasp, Essex and the newest one ,America.

Virtually every single naming tradition has been scrapped and rescrapped.The worst example is the three SSN's of the Seawolf class. Seawolf was to be a return to traditional naming. The next boat was named Connetict , the last Jimmy Carter! Confused yet?

In the mid 80's , I was asked to help out a local recruiter at nearby mall on a recruiter day . (He wanted a aviation type present , as we were a naval air station , and he was a surface type). An old timer wearing a USS Leyte cap came up to me. "I hear that they gave the name of my old carrier to a tin-can. Is that true ?' , he asked. "No , actually it's a cruiser " I replied. "Really? I was also on the Portland before the war. Is there a ships named for her?' "Yes , it's LSD", I replied. He looked panic stricken. "I was also on the cruiser Los Angles after the war. What the hell is she now a submarine?!". "I don't know how to tell you this, but yes, she is". "G--D----0 Navy"! he said, walking off and shaking his head.

Yes, it is kind of sad. I wont let a Navy person tell me about tradition any more.

"Its a dog eat dog world Sammy and I am wearing Milkbone underwear" -Norm.

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 58
RE: Cruiser On The Rocks - 2/22/2009 8:34:44 PM   
AW1Steve

quote:

ORIGINAL: khyberbill

quote:

Yes, it is kind of sad. I wont let a Navy person tell me about tradition any more.

Sorry about that. I won't do it again.

(in reply to khyberbill)
Post #: 59
RE: Cruiser On The Rocks - 2/22/2009 8:58:25 PM   
rockmedic109

I bet they still name Ammunition ships after volcanoes.

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> RE: Cruiser On The Rocks Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI