Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Cruiser On The Rocks

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> RE: Cruiser On The Rocks Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Cruiser On The Rocks - 2/22/2009 10:13:20 PM   
AW1Steve

quote:

ORIGINAL: rockmedic109

I bet they still name Ammunition ships after volcanoes.

For now. But there won't be any soon.

(in reply to rockmedic109)
Post #: 61
RE: Cruiser On The Rocks - 2/22/2009 10:13:20 PM   
Monter_Trismegistos

So, who is responsible for giving names for ships in USN? Is it some kind of secretary of navy?

Nec Temere Nec Timide
Bez strachu ale z rozwagą

(in reply to rockmedic109)
Post #: 62
RE: Cruiser On The Rocks - 2/22/2009 10:26:30 PM   
bradfordkay

quote:

ORIGINAL: Monter_Trismegistos

So, who is responsible for giving names for ships in USN? Is it some kind of secretary of navy?

From http://www.history.navy.mil/faqs/faq63-1.htm

On 3 March 1819 an act of Congress formally placed the responsibility for assigning names to the Navy's ships in the hands of the Secretary of the Navy, a prerogative which he still exercises.

fair winds,
Brad

(in reply to Monter_Trismegistos)
Post #: 63
RE: Cruiser On The Rocks - 2/23/2009 12:00:51 AM   
khyberbill

quote:

Sorry about that. I won't do it again.

I didn't mean you. I spent 6 years in the Navy and then worked for Naval Academy grads for the next 30 years. In meetings etc we would hear all about tradition. That slowed down quite a bit after the cheating and tailhook scandals. The Navy will through out any almost any tradition if it is expedient.

"Its a dog eat dog world Sammy and I am wearing Milkbone underwear" -Norm.

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 64
RE: Cruiser On The Rocks - 2/23/2009 12:27:35 AM   
AW1Steve

quote:

ORIGINAL: khyberbill

quote:

Sorry about that. I won't do it again.

I didn't mean you. I spent 6 years in the Navy and then worked for Naval Academy grads for the next 30 years. In meetings etc we would hear all about tradition. That slowed down quite a bit after the cheating and tailhook scandals. The Navy will through out any almost any tradition if it is expedient.

Yeah and benefitcial to senior officers. Like the change of command ceremony. But they don't teach or value naval history , even to the point of ships names. I can't see any sailor saying "I'd rather sail on the Carl Vison, the John Stennis or the Glenard P. Liscomb , then the Enterprise, Yorktown or Seawolf.

In the mid 90's I was present for the decommisonning ceremony for the USS Canopus AS-34. There were in the audiance a number of survivors of the AS-9 Canopus. Probably the only USN tender in history to give a heroic performance , and the Captain and Admiral (who flew his flag aboard) had any idea of the ship's predecesor until I showed them the chapter in "Pawns of War" about her. Nor did any officers or chiefs. Some of the junior enlisted did.

The Navy, Air Force and even the Army are very inferior in pride, knowledge and presevation of their history or traditions. But as any British military veteran can tell you , pride in a units history can do amazing things. No one wants to let down their relatives or predessors. And you can't be proud of a history that you are ignorant.

(in reply to khyberbill)
Post #: 65
RE: Cruiser On The Rocks - 2/23/2009 1:38:06 AM   
khyberbill

quote:

eah and benefitcial to senior officers. Like the change of command ceremony. But they don't teach or value naval history , even to the point of ships names. I can't see any sailor saying "I'd rather sail on the Carl Vison, the John Stennis or the Glenard P. Liscomb , then the Enterprise, Yorktown or Seawolf.

In the mid 90's I was present for the decommisonning ceremony for the USS Canopus AS-34. There were in the audiance a number of survivors of the AS-9 Canopus. Probably the only USN tender in history to give a heroic performance , and the Captain and Admiral (who flew his flag aboard) had any idea of the ship's predecesor until I showed them the chapter in "Pawns of War" about her. Nor did any officers or chiefs. Some of the junior enlisted did.

The Navy, Air Force and even the Army are very inferior in pride, knowledge and presevation of their history or traditions. But as any British military veteran can tell you , pride in a units history can do amazing things. No one wants to let down their relatives or predessors. And you can't be proud of a history that you are ignorant.

We were tied up the Canopus once. I cant recall exactly where, probably Norfolk. Normally, we tied up along side the Fulton, which is in the game. Also, I served aboard the Oak Hill, LSD 7, which is also in the game. Thus I have served on two ships that were in WW2 and are in the game.

As for the British, every time their army has had to downsize, there is great angst as old regiments disappear.

"Its a dog eat dog world Sammy and I am wearing Milkbone underwear" -Norm.

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 66
RE: Cruiser On The Rocks - 2/23/2009 1:55:06 AM   
BB57

How sad!  While on active duty I was in the 100 SRW from '70 to '73.  We were authorized to wear Presidential Unit Citations earned by the 100 Bomb Group. The first parade I asked the guy next to me what was on the unit flag. He said something about a WWII bomb group. It was a streamer for each mission the 100th flew, 306 of them. Certainly makes you very proud of those that went before you.

Steve

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 67
RE: Cruiser On The Rocks - 2/23/2009 2:58:04 AM   
borner

when was the last time the French won a war? 1805? 

(in reply to marky)
Post #: 68
RE: Cruiser On The Rocks - 2/23/2009 3:31:13 AM   
AW1Steve

quote:

ORIGINAL: borner

when was the last time the French won a war? 1805? 

1918 comes to mind. They were part of the allies in 1945.And how many wars have been totally "Won" since 1945? How many were settled by cease-fires , withdrawal agreements , etc.?

< Message edited by AW1Steve -- 2/23/2009 11:39:50 AM >

(in reply to borner)
Post #: 69
RE: Cruiser On The Rocks - 2/23/2009 7:56:18 AM   
gladiatt

Hmmm, auto-censure...
i should keep calm feeling and stay more aware of the forum policy.
Sorry to all guys who may had time to read my former post....

To all here : keep care of you

Edit Edit: my initial post has nothing to do with Steve's..i must publicy excuse myself here for the misanderstanding.
Hey Steve, please have a drink for us both

< Message edited by gladiatt -- 2/23/2009 12:06:19 PM >

(in reply to borner)
Post #: 70
RE: Cruiser On The Rocks - 2/24/2009 1:02:39 PM   
AW1Steve

quote:

ORIGINAL: gladiatt

Hmmm, auto-censure...

Edit Edit: my initial post has nothing to do with Steve's..i must publicy excuse myself here for the misanderstanding.

Will do!

(in reply to gladiatt)
Post #: 71
RE: Cruiser On The Rocks - 2/24/2009 3:15:26 PM   
RevRick

quote:

ORIGINAL: gladiatt

Hmmm, auto-censure...

Not sure what I missed, unless a post was deleted or part of it, but most of us here have been out and about quite a bit, and have a fair understanding of differences of opinion, and cultural differences as well. Unfortunately, some, but not too many, do not manage themselves quite as well as others. And, there are a very few who seem to excel in finding everyone's last nerve. Having been a sailor who put up with and returned playful bantering with other ships, and services, and even countries (remind me to tell you about the night I drank four tots) most of us on the board do not allow such things to bother us too much. Relax, and enjoy the banter...

"Action springs not from thought, but from a readiness for responsibility.” ― Dietrich Bonhoeffer

(in reply to gladiatt)
Post #: 72
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> RE: Cruiser On The Rocks Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI