Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Submarine Sims?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: Submarine Sims? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Submarine Sims? - 2/22/2009 11:24:00 PM   
KG Erwin

OK, I reinstalled SH II, and it does have its moments, but you gotta be careful on which mods you install. The dreaded game-crashing "janus error" still comes up sometimes. It is dreadfully frustrating when one realizes how a potentially great game was left to rot on the vine.

As for gamer support, the players desperately tried to mod this game back to life, but the bean-counting b*stards at Ubisoft let the game wither and die. This has left a sour taste which STILL affects the subsim community.

< Message edited by KG Erwin -- 2/22/2009 11:33:14 PM >

(in reply to Zakhal)
Post #: 31
RE: Submarine Sims? - 2/23/2009 8:30:09 AM   
Tomus

quote:

ORIGINAL: KG Erwin

OK, I reinstalled SH II, and it does have its moments, but you gotta be careful on which mods you install. The dreaded game-crashing "janus error" still comes up sometimes. It is dreadfully frustrating when one realizes how a potentially great game was left to rot on the vine.

As for gamer support, the players desperately tried to mod this game back to life, but the bean-counting b*stards at Ubisoft let the game wither and die. This has left a sour taste which STILL affects the subsim community.

Those bean counting b*stards gave us SHIII and SHIV which are superb pieces of software.

The fact that you are still playing SHII and trying to mod an 8 year old game instead of playing the newer up to date models is indicative of what has killed the simming community. Sorry not trying to flame, I hope you can see my point. It was the very openess of the Flight Sim that ultimately compromised it for example.

< Message edited by Tomus -- 2/23/2009 8:38:43 AM >

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 32
RE: Submarine Sims? - 2/23/2009 8:51:33 AM   
hellfirejet

Hi Tomus,
I have all versions of Silent hunter, Wolves of the Pacific + U Boat missions are brilliant !

Regards,
Graham.

I'm not retreating, I'm attacking in a different direction! Lewis B. "Chesty" Puller

(in reply to Tomus)
Post #: 33
RE: Submarine Sims? - 2/23/2009 10:16:08 AM   
JudgeDredd

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tomus

quote:

Those bean counting b*stards gave us SHIII and SHIV which are superb pieces of software.

The fact that you are still playing SHII and trying to mod an 8 year old game instead of playing the newer up to date models is indicative of what has killed the simming community. Sorry not trying to flame, I hope you can see my point. It was the very openess of the Flight Sim that ultimately compromised it for example.

There is some truth in this...if a game is left "open", the company do not actually make more moeny from it, because it's being modded, sometimes not as well.

Also, modding can kill a game...especially for online play. I can't remember which game, but it was a game I played online and I couldn't find a server for love nor money because all different opponents had all different mods...I think it was a racing game...yep...rFactor...mods killed it for a casual online player.

It's a sad fact that whilst we hold onto our money and fight the devs, we actually cause harm to our hobby. That doesn't mean chucking good money away, but it does mean supporting good quality games and companies.

(in reply to Tomus)
Post #: 34
RE: Submarine Sims? - 2/23/2009 11:42:04 AM   
Dixie

quote:

As has been mentioned, the bean counters spent money on two more (far better) sequels. I bought SH2 and didn't enjoy it, but SH3 is probably my third most played game ever especially with the various mods out there. I've also got SH4 but haven't played that for a while.

Bigger boys stole my sig

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 35
RE: Submarine Sims? - 3/13/2009 10:57:18 PM   
andym

I installed the latest mod GWX 3.0.....................its awesome!Sadly these screenies dont do it justice.

Press to Test...............Release to Detonate!

(in reply to Dixie)
Post #: 36
RE: Submarine Sims? - 3/21/2009 6:18:56 PM   
LeeChard

I wonder how many wargamers there are that share my philosophy.
If I take my wife and kids to the movies I can easily drop 50 bucks on two hours of entertainment. If we go out for a bite afterwords you can tack on at least 20 more.
I get hundreds of hours of fun out of a good sim or wargame.
I will gladly pay 90 dollars for a game in my narrow band of interest
simply because I know there is no economy of scale to bring the price down and I want to support the folks who put in what must be enormous amounts of time into these projects.

(in reply to andym)
Post #: 37
RE: Submarine Sims? - 3/22/2009 12:38:59 AM   
berndn

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tomus

quote:

The guys which did make SH II are not the same which made SH III and SH IV. So it's a different story. I still prefer Grand Prox Legends and it's a 10 years old game. The developer has done Nascar Racing as well as iRacing but none has historic, multi chassis racing in it.

For sure some don't understand why I don't race GTL which covers 60 touring cars but unfortunatly simulating the recent oldtimers doing races on modern tracks. I love GPL because it covers F1 and more on the tracks of the past. Monza without chicane as well as Spa for instance without chicane.

Even the Targa Florio is near completion. This is all only possible because there never was a GPL 2 or 3 or 4.

But I can understand why people play SH2. There's even the opposite possible. You can command the destroyers with destroyer command and play against. This is not possible in SH3 or SH4. The newer ones are outstanding on graphics but I love Aces of the deep too. It's graphically not so good but the campaign makes a lot of fun.

(in reply to Tomus)
Post #: 38
RE: Submarine Sims? - 3/22/2009 12:40:01 AM   
JudgeDredd

I think that's a fair philosophy...but I suspect one that not alot of people share when it comes to paying for computer games. Strange but true.

I will try and remember your point when I buy a game in future.

(in reply to LeeChard)
Post #: 39
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: Submarine Sims? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI