Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Strange AI behavior for HQ in a created scenario

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Advanced Tactics Series >> Mods and Scenarios >> Strange AI behavior for HQ in a created scenario Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Strange AI behavior for HQ in a created scenario - 2/22/2009 7:11:02 AM   
Ormand

I started a post over in the main area, and Z suggested I go here since it is for a scenario I am trying to design.

I am having trouble with the way the AI starts a game. Especially in how it treats the HQ units. I recently uploaded the scenario (named "Aggression") to the sandbox area. It is not quite complete as it is missing some of the resource hexes (which I are going to be a bit special and perhaps require a master file) and reinforcements since the HQ issue has stumped me. The basic idea of the scenario is that war breaks out between the two sides over resource hexes. At first, there is no real front line since the sides were at peace and need to mobilize their forces. Right now, regime 1 is the aggressor and starts first. The force disposition for regime 1 (Belasria) is essentially a supreme HQ in the capital and three army HQs with subordinate units. The main problem is that on the first turn as Belasria the AI essentially dismantles the 1st Army HQ. Most times, it assigns the units to supreme HQ, but then makes supreme HQ subordinate to 2nd Army. For the most part 1st Army is decommissioned. And by this, I mean the HQ is no longer an HQ, it is a standard unit with staff in it (it no longer has the HQ symbol and is subordinate to another HQ). At first, I thought this was because in my first attempts I was under staffing the HQs. I noticed similar behavior in a created scenario on a 40x40 map with a straight front line manned by standard divisions. If I understaffed the HQS, it would get rid of all but one and try to transfer the staff to that one HQ. But, in this case, I upped the staff to get 100% staff for all the units and the same thing happens. Perhaps one big difference here is that while there is a front between the two countries, they also have substantial coast line that needs to be defended, which is the duty of the other two HQs. Perhaps this is something the AI cannot handle, and thus confuses the AI on how to handle the initial invasion.

At any rate, I uploaded the scenario to see if any experts could determine what I was doing wrong and explain the AI behavior, which frankly is quite stupid. For one the AI units will almost never get the HQ bonus.

I have tried a few rulevars, but it doesn't seem to make any difference.

BTW. It also seems that a with resource center on an island the AI will build an HQ there to collect the resources. But, will it send the resources back to the mainland?

One man alone can be pretty dumb sometimes, but for real bona fide stupidity, there ain't nothin' can beat teamwork -- Edward Abbey
Post #: 1
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Advanced Tactics Series >> Mods and Scenarios >> Strange AI behavior for HQ in a created scenario Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI