Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Destroying Command Posts

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Destroying Command Posts Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Destroying Command Posts - 5/13/2002 7:12:06 AM   
otto

Does anybody know how? I blast at 'em but just get a message"Command Post is hit" but nothing happens. I couldn't find anything on this in the manual, somebody please help...
Post #: 1
- 5/13/2002 7:19:54 AM   
PerryC

I have run into this before, you have to hit the CP many times before it will get destroyed. I am unsure of the number of hits it takes. Keep hitting them you'll destroy them eventually.

Incidentally, it is the same thing with ammo dumps. Although taking them out is much more spectacular.

PerryC

(in reply to otto)
Post #: 2
- 5/13/2002 8:14:48 AM   
Big Bill

While I was playing today I shot at an enemy command post, when I finally did kill it it just dissipeared, no explosion, just dissipeared without a trace afterward, like the hex was empty all of the time.......oh well

(in reply to otto)
Post #: 3
- 5/13/2002 8:16:49 AM   
Supervisor

Well it's not like it's going to boom like an ammo dump or fuel depot. It's just a bunch of geeks with maps, radios and pencils.

(in reply to otto)
Post #: 4
- 5/13/2002 11:26:10 AM   
Seth

I think they're too tough. In the Spanish Civil War trench fighting scenario I managed to destroy the Nationalist HQ after having 3-4 squads fire point-blank at it for several turns. They used up all their grenades and molotovs, and all had rifles and an LMG. It took forever, and there were only 20 guys in there to start with. I hit it every time with every weapon, after the first round when I think a rifle shot or two missed.
Seth

(in reply to otto)
Post #: 5
Take 20 - 5/13/2002 1:56:47 PM   
Capt. Pixel

I just whomped on some ammo dumps and Command HQs. (ver 7.1)

If ya wanna kill 'em fast? - Flamethrowers and Demo charges. One or two shots and they're gone.

If ya wanna kill 'em slow - Hit 'em with anything you got. Every time it says 'Ammo Dump Hit' or 'Command HQ Hit' means it is losing 1 or 2 men. Since they can have a complement of up to 20 men - this could take a while. :)

Earlier versions did seem to have difficulty eliminating those units tho'.

"Always mystify, mislead, and surprise the enemy, if possible. "
- Stonewall Jackson

(in reply to otto)
Post #: 6
- 5/14/2002 2:05:05 AM   
Seth

I'll have to try again. I think I was in ver 5 or something.
Seth

(in reply to otto)
Post #: 7
- 5/15/2002 7:06:40 AM   
otto

I appreciate the replies, thank you.
Personally, I feel that the command posts are too tough, I think of them as being lightly armed HQ positions that should be protected by elements of the units they command. I'll be editing t them to have a smaller crew, maybe 10 or 12, so that they are not as tough.
That's one of the great things about this game, the ability to tailor things to act more like how we think they should be. That's also why I keep a back up of all the original OOB files....

(in reply to otto)
Post #: 8
- 5/16/2002 5:42:06 AM   
tiggwigg

I think the command post is just fine as it is...it is not as if it is a supertank like the MAUS or E100 with impenetrable armour and the ability to destroy any tank or infantry that creeps up beside it.

1.The CP has a facing direction, so you can place your units where they can safely fire at it without return fire...it might just take a few more turns to knock it out, but what does that matter;
2.a player usually isn't in a position to attack the CP until most nearby defensive units are destroyed, so you won't attract much enemy fire and if there is any a couple of smoke grenades will protect your units;
3. I think the CP is essentially a dug-out or bunker...and so it should be thought of as any other bunker...if you want to destroy it quick then flame it...use the right weapon for the right job.

Rather than the issue being one of OOB design that can be "fixed" by jigging/corrupting that data set, I think it is one of game play and tactics...there are weapons in the game to destroy a CP quickly...the problem is one faced by any commander in the field...how to get those weapons where they are needed when they are needed...engineers and weapons such as flamethrowers should be in short supply, so if a player has his flamethrowers etc all over the map chasing bunkers of course it will be hard to destroy the CP...the same is true if they are protecting infantry against armour (engineers are probably the best tank hunter teams in the game, something that was virtually never the case in the real world) rather than being the shock troops of the assault, as assault engineers were, and so used to capture the most important and well-defended positions...such as the CP...if a formation has no engineers and you have to rely on infantry rifle fire to destroy the CP, then that should be a pleasurable aspect of the variation in the game, not considered an irritant...alternatively if you run out of ammo for your weapons with few shots, like flamethrowers and demo-charges, then the game allows you to de-activate them, so you can save a few shots for critical targets, such as a CP.

The other question here seems to be that the CP is a tough nut to crack...well wasn't it? The CP wasn't just a dozen geeks with maps and radios...there was virtually always at least one squad of the forces elite troops protecting it and ready to die to protect their commander...no wonder average infantry takes so long to knock it out.

(in reply to otto)
Post #: 9
- 5/16/2002 10:42:57 PM   
RockinHarry

Different opinions on how tough Posts and dumps should be as it seems. :eek:
Nonetheless the "toughness" of these emplacements is determined somehow by the point value assigned to them in the OOB editor. For example if an ammo dump is worth 50 points, then it needs something like 50 damage points to destroy it. I don´t know which misterious game code handles this.

If you want to get the stuff blow up more easily, a scenario designer can give these units some kind of pre-game damage in Freds WaW Editor (..as usual :D ). For example the ammo dump above gets ~45 damage points (unit data screen/WaW Editor). This causes the ammo dump to be blown up even by one single infantry fire hit. There´s no rule though. One need to experiment with different point/damage values to determine when the stuff is blown up reliably.

Nasty things scenario designers can do with this knowledge! Mega Campaign players probably know this already! :D :D :D

_________
Harry

RockinHarry in the web:

https://www.facebook.com/harry.zann

(in reply to otto)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Destroying Command Posts Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI