Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

San Diego, CA

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> San Diego, CA Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
San Diego, CA - 3/27/2009 7:54:24 AM   
Ellsid

Just got home 1:30 A.M. EST from the family visit to Coronado and San Diego, CA. The last time I was out there was February 2001. I was stationed at Coronado (80's-90's) and lived in the area for 5 years.

On one of the days outings we went to the USS Midway CV-41 ship museum. I thought the ship was displayed very well. The ship it self up close looked like something from "Star wars". It had so many conversion and redesigns you would have never thought it was commissioned in 1945. It reminded me of what the Japanese did to the Akagi and Kaga. My 10 and 12 year old girls loved it. Especially the flight simulator where you play CFS2 and try to shot down Japanese planes. Also one of the modern fleet carriers was over at North island and was interesting to compare the designs.

After the tour we headed over to Seaport village for a good meal. It was one of those "good days".

....and to all a good night.
Post #: 1
RE: San Diego, CA - 3/27/2009 10:17:36 AM   
castor troy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ellsid

Just got home 1:30 A.M. EST from the family visit to Coronado and San Diego, CA. The last time I was out there was February 2001. I was stationed at Coronado (80's-90's) and lived in the area for 5 years.

On one of the days outings we went to the USS Midway CV-41 ship museum. I thought the ship was displayed very well. The ship it self up close looked like something from "Star wars". It had so many conversion and redesigns you would have never thought it was commissioned in 1945. It reminded me of what the Japanese did to the Akagi and Kaga. My 10 and 12 year old girls loved it. Especially the flight simulator where you play CFS2 and try to shot down Japanese planes. Also one of the modern fleet carriers was over at North island and was interesting to compare the designs.

After the tour we headed over to Seaport village for a good meal. It was one of those "good days".

....and to all a good night.

sounds like a great day, would be cool if you could post some pics...

(in reply to Ellsid)
Post #: 2
RE: San Diego, CA - 3/27/2009 4:11:52 PM   
Crimguy

I went there a few months ago. My 2 year old (and wife for that matter) didn't give me the time it deserved. I agree that it has a nice collection, but the hangar has plenty of room for more additions. I would have liked to have seen a couple Hellcats or Wildcats down there . . .

They had a couple different simulators there. Were they all CFS2? I didn't try them but was hoping for some more custom software. I have been to the Intreped and this one. It might only have an extra 100 feet or so in length, but the Midway is really a lot bigger.

(in reply to castor troy)
Post #: 3
RE: San Diego, CA - 3/27/2009 7:18:54 PM   
Ellsid

The hanger deck was spacious but it allows them to conduct ceremonies out onto the aft port elevator. They had two CFS2 simulators and one other that I did not get a close look at. I and my 12 year old were so thrilled with the simulator I did not noticed what the other one was about.

There was a WW2 memorial on the walkway to Sea port village (CL San Diego) a stone map layout of the South Pacific and where the ship went.

My wife camera is for the photo queen so pics are slow to get too.

(in reply to Ellsid)
Post #: 4
RE: San Diego, CA - 3/27/2009 10:08:06 PM   
pmelheck1

Rode on the Midway once.  When we were evac'ed from Clark after Pinatubo.  Interesting ship to get you first and only Navy ride on...

(in reply to Ellsid)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> San Diego, CA Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI