Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Tough One

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> After Action Reports >> RE: Tough One Page: <<   < prev  12 13 [14] 15 16   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Tough One - 8/1/2010 8:25:51 PM   
rtrapasso

quote:

Ed is concerned at the large number of troops at Truk and wonders where they will turn up next.

Ed shouldn't be concerned at the "large number of troops" at Truk, or any other place with static guns... this is a problem with game mechanics where it converts the "load cost" of a unit into approximate number of men... since the load coast of static guns is, well, very large, you get weird numbers like a zillion guys sitting in Truk or Tokyo... although in story terms, perhaps there is a systemic problem in intel evaluation that he might eventually figure out.

(in reply to tocaff)
Post #: 391
RE: Tough One - 8/1/2010 10:10:25 PM   
tocaff

Thanks for that heads up.  I suppose I'll be seeing large numbers pop up from time to time for Saipan, etc. too.

Still in story terms it fits as intel was iffy at best.  I believe that the game tends to inflate numbers of planes at a base also.

Todd

I never thought that doing an AAR would be so time consuming and difficult.
www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2080768

(in reply to rtrapasso)
Post #: 392
RE: Tough One - 8/1/2010 10:35:00 PM   
rtrapasso

quote:

ORIGINAL: tocaff

Thanks for that heads up.  I suppose I'll be seeing large numbers pop up from time to time for Saipan, etc. too.

Still in story terms it fits as intel was iffy at best.  I believe that the game tends to inflate numbers of planes at a base also.

Yeah, i've noticed that as well, although it seems to be worse for the Allies for some reason... why this should be, i am not sure unless it has to do with experience levels. However, i've got recon units with exp in the low 90's, and still seem to be getting "inflated" numbers, so i am not sure what the problem is.

(in reply to tocaff)
Post #: 393
RE: Shellbacks & Pollywogs - 8/2/2010 12:42:31 AM   
tocaff

October 1, 1942 Washington DC

7th AA Regiment is located at Sendai.
Hensui Construction Battalion is located at Sasebo.
7th Engineer Regiment is located at Mutanchiang.
2nd Aviation Rgt is located at Mutanchiang.
Radio transmissions detected at Lae.
217075 men are based at Ominato.
1st AA Regiment is located at Tokyo.
31st Road Construction Battalion is located at Changchun.
8th Heavy Artillery Brigade is located at Mutanchiang.
17th Aviation Rgt is located at Ichang.
15th Army is located at Myitkyina.
3rd Hvy Field Artillery Regiment is located at Darwin.
143rd IJNAF Base Force is located at Tokyo.
3344 men are based at Hamamatsu.
2nd Mountain Gun Regiment is located at Homan.

Waigeu Island was occupied by the Japanese.

SB-2 takes recon photos of Arshaan 1 LCU 320/18/0
R-12 takes recon photos of Tsitsihar 6 LCUs 27120/320/16
R-12 takes recon photos of Tabun-Nur 1 LCU 1360/19/0
SB-2 takes recon photos of Mishan 4 LCUs 14200/143/161
R-12 takes recon photos of Changkufeng 5 LCUs 36340/360/4
SB-2 takes recon photos of Heiho 9 LCUs 49180/570/33
Pe-2 takes recon photos of Mutanchiang 9 LCUs 23100/334/173
SB-2 takes recon photos of Hailar 7 LCUs 26300/333/6
PB2Y Coronado takes recon photos of Lunga 12 LCUs 28220/243/2

Ed wearily sends the report on it's way and he wonders how Bill is making out with the O'Bannon.

The submarine Gar was attacked by 4 X MSW near Maloelap, but she managed to escape.

The O'Bannon will cross the equator today and despite there being a war on customs must be observed. The time honored USN tradition of Pollywog to Shellback will be administered by Neptunus Rex and his Royal Court of:
Davey Jones
Neptune's 1st Assistant
Her Highness Amphitrile
The Royal Scribe
The Royal Doctor
The Royal Dentist
The Royal Baby
The Royal Navigator
The Royal Chaplin
The Royal Judge
Royal Attorneys
Royal Barbers
and others that suit the party.

This will be going on aboard all of the ships in the TF, though the watches remain manned. All Pollywogs, regardless of rank, must participate. This is officially recognized by service record entries indicating date, time, latitude and longitude. Sadly there is no Golden Shellback on O'Bannon, somebody who has crossed the equator at the 180th meridian. Most of the Chiefs and 1st Class Petty Officers are Shellbacks.

A pool was built yesterday to act as the “Royal Bath” and now it is filled with sea water by hand billy with some diesel mixed in. The Ensign is lowered and the “Jolly Roger” is hoisted. The Shellbacks ate steak and eggs for breakfast while the Pollywogs had hard tack and coffee made with sea water.

The ceremonies begin with some Pollywogs dancing while others sing, tell stories or recite poetry for the pleasure of Neptunus Rex, who happens to be a senior Chief.

Charges are made against the Pollywogs at King Neptune's Court and the officers are dealt with harsher than the enlisted men.

Bill was ordered forward with 2 coke bottles for binoculars to stand watch and he had to eat an Irish apple, a raw onion.

Kneeling before the Royal Judge Pollywogs were ordered to kiss the Royal Baby, who was the ugliest Shellback on the ship. Just as he was to be kissed he's hit the Pollywogs in the face with a hand full of mustard.

A visit to the Royal Barber, who had electric clippers that kept shocking his victims as he cut their hair.

The Royal Bath was next up and as the Pollywogs were dunked they had to say “Shellback” 3 times.

Last, but not least, came the gauntlet. A greased tarp was spread out on the deck and about a foot over it was strung a cargo net. The Pollywogs had to crawl for about 30 feet with the Shellbacks paddling them. A fire hose at the end knocked the Pollywogs back for more just as they thought it was over.

Bill, sporting his new haircut, was the last man through the gauntlet. After it was all over he was photographed, for posterity. He will get a copy of the picture to send to Sandy.

Pollywog Patrol

Attachment (1)

Todd

(in reply to rtrapasso)
Post #: 394
RE: Monotony - 8/3/2010 7:19:48 PM   
tocaff

October 2, 1942

Intel

188 ships are based at Tokyo.
Radio transmissions detected at Tokyo.
41st Heavy AA Battalion is located at Seoul.
Peng Hu Fortress is located at Pescadores.
19th Engineer Regiment is located at Chungking.
57th Division is located 100 miles NE Fushun.
11th Army is located 38 miles NE Ichang.
9th Ind. Brigade is located at Changsha.
1st Mixed Brigade is located 155 miles NE Fushun.
6th Tank Regiment is located at Darwin.
Elements of the Mongol Cavalry Division are located 40 miles N Wengchow.
Radio transmissions detected at Kwajalein.
3rd Air Army is located at Tokyo.
4318 men are based at Pusan.
2nd Engineer Regiment is located at Homan.
8th Division is located at Heiho.
1837 men are based at Hakodate.
32nd Heavy AA Battalion is located at Aomori.

Recon

SB-2 takes recon photos of Heiho 9 LCUs 48620/553/22
SB-2 takes recon photos of Arshaan 2 LCUs 440/23/0
R-12 takes recon photos of Tsitsihar 6 LCUs 27920/309/16
R-12 takes recon photos of Tabun-Nur 1 LCU 1320/17/0
SB-2 takes recon photos of Mishan 4 LCUs 13900/155/167
R-12 takes recon photos of Changkufeng 5 LCUs 36220/331/8
SB-2 takes recon photos of Hailar 7 LCUs 25640/308/8
F-5A Lightning takes recon photos of Rangoon 67 fighters, 97 bombers, 224 aux, 2 X AK, 1X CL, 4X PY, 18 LCUs, 69680/555/294
Do 24K-2 takes recon photos of Port Moresby 28 LCUs
PB2Y Coronado takes recon photos of Lunga 12 LCUs 17780/107/0

It's been another monotonous day at the office for Ed. He longs for sea duty and he plans to mention it to anyone whose ear he can grab that might help him to achieve that aim. His only problem is that just about everybody working in the Pentagon wants that too and there are only so many openings to be filled. He even decides that when he gets the chance to see Frank Knox or the President he'll offer to take a reduction in rank if that's what it takes to get out to sea.

Another quiet day on the O'Bannon and members of the crew are still laughing at the antics of yesterday. Bill has written a letter to Sandy telling her that he underwent a ritual of passage and what he had to do to achieve that status. He omits the part that they crossed the equator and now being a Shellback. He'll tell her all about it when they see each other, some day in the future.

Orsini has officially qualified as an expert rifleman as of today. If nothing else he knows that he'll make it out of boot camp as a Marine. Later that evening the boots are talking about war news and are wondering what units they'll be assigned to and where they'll find themselves. One of them says that they'll have it easy against the Japs if they survive their DI.

Pete is beginning to drive the staff crazy and he and a few of the other patients are granted a trip into Brisbane, supervised of course. When Pete gets the news he grins and is then told that this outing won't be until some time next week. Pete doesn't care, he's got something to look forward to that'll break the monotony.

Almost all of the forces for Operation Grinder are in place and they will start the advance very soon now. The Australian PM needs something to show the populace that they are doing everything that they can to free Australians from the Japanese.

Todd

(in reply to tocaff)
Post #: 395
RE: Monotony - 8/3/2010 8:16:37 PM   
Capt. Harlock

quote:

6th Tank Regiment is located at Darwin.
Elements of the Mongol Cavalry Division are located 40 miles N Wengchow.

Say what?? Genghis Khan is now a Japanese ally??

And it looks like Operation Grinder is going to need some anti-tank weapons...

Civil war? What does that mean? Is there any foreign war? Isn't every war fought between men, between brothers?

--Victor Hugo

(in reply to tocaff)
Post #: 396
RE: Monotony - 8/3/2010 8:51:32 PM   
tocaff

Grinder has plenty of tanks and AT units too.

Todd

(in reply to Capt. Harlock)
Post #: 397
RE: The Movies and a Pub - 8/5/2010 1:28:31 PM   
tocaff

October 3, 1942 Georgetown

Intel

Radio transmissions detected at Singapore.
8th AF Construction Battalion is located at Mandalay.
17th Construction Battalion is located at Mutanchiang.
2484 men are based at Kyoto.
3117 men are based at Bangkok.
13th Tank Regiment is planning for an attack on Chungking.
1st Air Division is planning for an attack on Chungking.
5842 men are based at Takamatsu.

Recon

SB-2 takes recon photos of Heiho 9 LCUs 64880/748/27
SB-2 takes recon photos of Arshaan 2 LCUs 340/18/0
R-12 takes recon photos of Tsitsihar 6 LCUs 28040/306/17
R-12 takes recon photos of Tabun-Nur 1 LCU 1440/15/0
SB-2 takes recon photos of Mishan 4 LCUs 13440/155/154
Pe-2 takes recon photos of Mutanchiang 15 fighters, 12 bombers, 16 aux, 8 LCUs 22240/321/156
R-12 takes recon photos of Changkufeng 5 LCUs 35940/362/9
SB-2 takes recon photos of Hailar 7 LCUs 27020/361/9
PB2Y Coronado takes recon photos of Lunga 33 fighters, 59 aux, 12 LCUs 18360/112/0
Do 24K-2 takes recon photos of Port Moresby 27 LCUs

Combat

Submarine O16 is attacked by IJN DDs 42 miles SW of Singapore. She has suffered light systems damage and moderate flooding but it is expected that she will reach port safely.

IJN sub operating 300 miles W of San Francisco.

DD O'Bannon will refit after reaching PH. They have had two missions and have successfully completed each task with no contact with the enemy. Bill has no illusions about the future knowing that sooner or later they will crash into the Japanese. He's confident that he commands a good ship and crew, which is improving all of the time. His pile of letters to Sandy will be his third order of business after seeing to his ship and reporting into HQs.

Ed has another of his dinners with Bill Donovan and the two men discuss intelligence gathering methods and agree that nothing beats having assets on the ground to see things. Of course this is a particular problem in the Pacific as physical differences in the two warring peoples come into play. Reliance on coast watchers, recon flights and radio intercepts are the backbone of the information gathering, but exaggeration tends to make the information unreliable. The best guess interpretations by the people who analyze this information is what hits the desks of the brass and it's not as accurate as would be liked.

“Not to rub your nose in it but the German 6th Army keeps pushing the Soviet 62nd Army back towards the Volga River with heavy loses on both sides. We have a pretty good idea of Axis troop dispositions in Europe and the stuff that you're getting from the Pacific indicates the IJA must have every male age 12 and over under arms. The problem is how to determine what's really given at a particular location. For instance Operation Snowball has certain expectations as to what they face in the opening stages and based on that forces are allocated. The way I see it when the first troops hit the target we'll have a better idea as to what they're up against. That is the problem, that and two other little items such as where the hell is the KB and how can you effectively cover such vast stretches of ocean? I know the USN has PBY squadrons based in a chain that they hope will give adequate coverage, but the reality is that there are to few planes to properly cover the areas that do come under their eyes.” With that Donovan leans back in his seat and stares at Ed.

Ed ponders the problem and replies, “Bill, if I had the answer to these problems I'd be a much smarter man than I am. We constantly are getting more and more assets forward, but as you say the areas are so vast. Take Operation Grinder, which will be kicking off soon. The two forces are almost in place and I expect light resistance at Broome and Derby, because nobody can be strong everywhere. That is the Pentagon thinking also and as a result that prong of the attack will be the weakest. We have no idea of what we're up against and I expect a big fight for Darwin. I have no idea about Wyndham though. We have no reliable reports concerning enemy force strength and the shame of it is that this is an area occupied by the Japanese. Damn it all to hell it's Australia and we have no reliable information.” Silently he curses Operation Grinder as the thought of going out to confront an unknown enemy scares him.

Pete has had his day on the town and they went to a cinema and saw Casablanca. The movie was good, but not exactly what Pete wanted to do. The other men on the trip balk when told that their day on the town is over when they leave the theater. They refuse to board the bus and instead walk across the street to a pub that they spotted on their arrival. The barkeeper and a couple of elderly men are they only people in there and it's very quiet. Things liven up a bit and everyone has a good time downing a couple of pints before they reluctantly leave. The staffers that accompanied the men even partook, but they insisted that they leave before their CO started to wonder where they were. All in all it was a good day, Pete thinks.

Another of the DI's little marches with full combat gear was the feature of today and many of the men were suffering from blisters on their feet.

“I told you maggots how many times that your feet are the second most important part of a Marine, after your weapon. If your feet get wet why didn't you take care of them during a rest break? If your boots don't fit properly why didn't you get ones that do? Now you'll just have to learn the hard way and we'll skip those nice trucks over there and hike back to base.”

One thing is for certain, they won't be sleeping in their bunks tonight as they must be about 20 miles from the barracks. After a couple hours of marching the DI calls a halt and the men find a bivouac area ready to receive them. Tents are ready to be put up and there will be warm chow tonight. Orsini thinks that sometime in the future this will seem like heaven. Others in the platoon wonder if there's anything the DI hasn't planned for.

Todd

(in reply to tocaff)
Post #: 398
RE: Stars and Fears - 8/6/2010 4:51:31 PM   
tocaff

October 4, 1942

Intel

17th Army is located at Tulagi.
11th NLF is located at Singapore.
105th IJA Base Force is located at Mukden.
25th AA Regiment is located at Nagato.
Maloelop Base Force is located at Maloelap.
135th IJN Base Force is located at Makin.
Elements of the 2nd Mongolian Cavalry Division are located 100 miles W Tsingtao.
Elements of the 3rd Mongolian Cavalry Division are located 57 miles NW Tientsin.
1st Air Division is planning for an attack on Chungking.
100661 men are based at Heiho.
74 aircraft are based at Mutanchiang.
3114 men are based at Bangkok.
25th Engineer Regiment is located at Sendai.
142nd IJA Base Force is located at Paramushiro Jima.
1833 men are based at Hungnam.

Recon

SB-2 takes recon photos of Heiho 9 LCUs 64260/705/21
SB-2 takes recon photos of Arshaan 2 LCUs 340/23/0
R-12 takes recon photos of Tsitsihar 6 LCUs 27500/337/18
SB-2 takes recon photos of Mishan 4 LCUs 13260/188/144
Pe-2 takes recon photos of Mutanchiang 17 fighters, 15 bombers, 25 aux, 8 LCUs 22420/318/171
R-12 takes recon photos of Tsitsihar
R-12 takes recon photos of Tabun-Nur 1 LCU 1780/16/0
R-12 takes recon photos of Changkufeng 5 LCUs 36100/322/6
SB-2 takes recon photos of Hailar 7 LCUs 29460/319/4
Do 24K-2 takes recon photos of Port Moresby 28 LCUs
PB2Y Coronado takes recon photos of Lunga 12 LCUs 17300/95/0

Combat

22 miles SW of Noumea a USN ASW TF detects and attacks an IJN sub reporting that they scored 2 hits.

IJN MSWs detected and swept a minefield at Kwajalein.

39 miles E of Chungking 940 Japanese troops attacked and suffered 62/3/0 while the Chinese defenders (26254) held the line losing 24/0/0.

O-16 is making for Diamond Harbor and her damage control parties are getting the flooding under control. Once the boat makes it into open water the chance of her survival goes to a near certainty.

At a White House meeting the following events were made mention of.

A British commando raid on Sark, a Channel Island, captured a German soldier today.

The German offensive began in Stalingrad today.

When all of the business has been finished FDR asks Frank Knox to stay behind. He says, “Frank, I'd like to talk to you about Ed Landy. He's had an exemplary record in the Navy and has done excellent work for us during this war. The problem is that he appears to be showing wear and tear. What do you make of this and what would you recommend?”

“Sir, I would say that like any old salt he wants to get out to sea and have the deck of a warship beneath his feet. He's been at this intel job since just about the beginning of the war and I think that he's earned his way into the fight. The problem is that you made him an admiral so we can't exactly demote him to give him a ship. We do have an opening available for someone of his qualifications though. Operation Snowball will require an admiral to command the bombardment TF. To tell you the truth I was going to mention his name for this spot anyway.” Frank Knox settles back into his chair and watches the President who ponders this.

“OK then, we'll give him his due. We won't tell him of this right now though as I still need him around. If it's possible I'd like to keep this between the two of us until I decide it's time to let the cat out of the bag. OK, with you?” The President hasn't asked, rather ordered that Ed's future in the USN will be changed in the near future.

Pete thought for sure that everybody involved in yesterday's little field trip would get in trouble, but he was way off base. The staff have all had smiles and a wink for the patients that went and there is talk of making regular forays into town. The only thing better than that news would be a ship back to the States or maybe a date with that cute blonde nurse who just started working in his ward today.

Accelerated training in now the word of the day as the Marine Corps needs more capable men quickly. The 2nd Marine Division needs to be brought up to full strength in the very near future and the boots at Parris Island will be the ones to do it. Of course the boots have no knowledge of this, only that their DI seems especially cranky today no matter what they do. To the man they all successfully navigated the obstacle course and then were off to some hand to hand combat training.

It's a beautiful night again as Red and Cookie are standing on deck looking at the stars wondering what the future holds for them.

“You know that this cruise we're on is bad for our business,” mutters Cookie. “It's tough to win a war and be a successful businessman at the same time,” he jokes.

Red continues staring at the night sky and says, “For now I think I'd settle for an end to the war. This adventure on sailing the Seven Seas isn't all it's cracked up to be. I can think of places I've been to and I'll take Hawaii any time over them. Besides surviving a sinking was something I'd like to limit to one time.”

“You mean you wouldn't want to survive another one? I'm only pulling your leg,” says Cookie.

The thought of going into the water again has been preying on Red's mind lately and he's scared. “If I survive this war,” he mutters, “I'm never leaving dry land again.”

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by tocaff -- 8/6/2010 4:52:41 PM >

Todd

(in reply to tocaff)
Post #: 399
RE: Pooped - 8/7/2010 4:58:10 PM   
tocaff

October 5, 1942

Intel

6929 men are based at Shimuzu.
32nd Heavy AA Battalion is located at Aomori.
52nd Construction Battalion is located at Changchun.
6933 men are based at Shimuzu.
14th NLF is located at Buna.
58th Construction Battalion is located at Takamatsu.
31st Road Construction Battalion is located at Changchun.
38th Construction Battalion is located at Toyohara.

Recon

SB-2 takes recon photos of Heiho 9 LCUs 65760/679/19
SB-2 takes recon photos of Arshaan 2 LCUs 3140/55/0
R-12 takes recon photos of Tsitsihar 6 LCUs 28040/309/18
SB-2 takes recon photos of Mishan 4 LCUs 2320/2/146
Pe-2 takes recon photos of Mutanchiang 8 LCUs 23720/335/158
R-12 takes recon photos of Changkufeng 5 LCUs 36700/360/8
SB-2 takes recon photos of Hailar 7 LCUs 30100/349/10
F-5A Lightning takes recon photos of Rangoon 44 fighters, 99 bombers, 205 aux, 2 X AK, 1 CL, 4 X PT and 15 LCUs 46520/317/287
Do 24K-2 takes recon photos of Port Moresby 25 LCUs
PB2Y Coronado takes recon photos of Lunga 12 LCUs 17300/117/0

Combat

The DD Panther was on her way from Noumea to Sydney when she is attacked by the I-24 140 miles SW of Noumea. Her skipper skillfully handles the nimble ship and they manage to avoid the onrushing torpedoes. The lookout who spotted the fish is heartily commended for his alertness. The men shudder at the thought of what might have been if the torpedo wakes hadn't been spotted in time.

The submarine Sunfish was en route to mining Batavia when she stumbles upon a Japanese TF and promptly attacks it, putting a torpedo that actually exploded into the side of the BB Hei. The IJN escorts frantically search, but fail to find the Sunfish.

The Japanese air attacks on the gathering Allied forces about 220 miles from Darwin cause light casualties. Operation Grinder is poised and growing in strength.

Japanese air raids on Chungking's defenses cause little damage to the forces targeted.

Ed looks across his desk at Bill Donovan who has just handed him a slip of paper that says:

Today Himmler ordered all Jews in German concentration camps be sent to Auschwitz and Majdanek.

“You must have some very highly placed assets to get information like this the day it happens. I only wish we got stuff like this out of Tokyo too.” Ed continues with, “OK, let's hit the road and grab some dinner.”

The two men leave the Pentagon and head for their favorite spot.

The doctors are concerned that Pete is pushing his recovery to hard. It really hasn't been that long ago that he just barely managed to survive his ordeal. He has insisted on going to the HQs of the American forces to see if he can arrange some transport faster than normal channels.

The Pirates continue their travels, which seem never ending. At least they won't be seeing any dangers for a while, they assume.

Stalin is still resisting Washington's pressure concerning basing rights. His logic remains the same. If the Soviets allow US troops onto their bases the Japanese will be justified in taking it as a hostile act. Stalin has his hands full fighting with the Germans and doesn't want a shooting war with the Japanese until he feels that the time is right.

The training tempo has seemed to increase and the boots are pushing themselves to keep up with what's demanded of them. Marches, live fire exercises, you name it they're having it thrown at them. At night Orsini finds himself to tired to write a letter home. Maybe tomorrow....

Todd

(in reply to tocaff)
Post #: 400
RE: Mobilization - 8/8/2010 6:45:04 PM   
tocaff

October 6, 1942 The Home Front

Intel

18th Reserve Coastal Artillery Regiment is located at Toyama.
Shanghai SNLF is located at Kweilin.
7th Construction Battalion is planning for an attack on Chungking.
14th Division is located at Hailar.
5th Division is located at Darwin.
3984 men are based at Osumi.
1856 men are based at Pagan.
22nd Heavy AA Battalion is planning for an attack on Chungking.
12th Ind. Brigade is located at Changsha.
35th Heavy AA Battalion is located at Rangoon.
134th IJA Base Force is planning for an attack on Kiska Island.
3360 men are based at Hamamatsu.
Tokyo Bay Fortress is located at Tokyo.

Recon

SB-2 takes recon photos of Heiho 9 LCUs 52880/610/28
SB-2 takes recon photos of Arshaan 2 LCUs 360/28/0
R-12 takes recon photos of Tsitsihar LCUs 27460/331/22
R-12 takes recon photos of Tabun-Nur 1 LCU 1400/14/0
SB-2 takes recon photos of Mishan 4 LCUs 0/6/142
Pe-2 takes recon photos of Mutanchiang 19 fighters, 15 bomber, 24 aux, 8 LCUs 23460/345/158
Pe-2 takes recon photos of Changkufeng 5 LCUs 36400/358/8
SB-2 takes recon photos of Hailar 7 LCUs 32580/335/7
PBY Catalina takes recon photos of Tarawa 4 LCUs
Do 24K-2 takes recon photos of Port Moresby 24 LCUs
PB2Y Coronado takes recon photos of Lunga 12 LCUs 18400/117/0

Combat

IJN MSWs detect and commence sweeping mines at Guam.

34 X Tojo sweep Kunming and are engaged by 12 X I-153c and 20 X I-16c. The Japanese have a Tojo destroyed while the Chinese lose 10 X I-153c and 3 X I-16c with an additional one damaged.

Tarpon berths at Brisbane.

Ed looks at the paper on his desk and wonders what it must be like to be the Germans in Russia. They are seemingly forever victorious, yet never seem to be able to land a knockout blow. As the Russian Winter approaches, the thought of which makes Ed shiver, he wonders how people can endure such harsh conditions and continue to function as a military formation.

Malgobek falls to the Germans.

Montgomery issued orders today for plans for the 2nd battle of El Alamein.

Today in Washington a UN commission was set up to investigate war crimes.

Elaine heads off to the USO to help cheer up homesick soldiers in training. She's heard from her brother who is a mechanic for aircraft. She has no idea where he is, but he says that army life is OK. Knowing him, she thinks, he's probably always in trouble. She decides that tonight she'll write to Bill as she hasn't heard from him in ages. They always tell the girls at the USO that the men in service love to get mail. She thinks, that and their grubby paws on the girls.

Palawan continues along her way maintaining her station in the convoy. The crew is happy to be located in one of the center columns, but being flanked by a tanker and a cargo ship full of ammunition isn't exactly what they would've picked. Lucky has become more aggressive lately and he's up to about 50 pounds. There are a few members of the crew who he doesn't like and Cookie has mentioned to Red that they better keep an eye on the dog before there's trouble.

Red laughs it off saying, “Lucky can fend for himself. He's strong as an ox and pretty smart. Besides those guys aren't exactly my favorites either. I spied one of them trying to kick Lucky once and he fell when he missed. Lucky didn't run away, he just turned and growled at the man. I told him that if I ever saw him doing that kind of thing again to the dog that I'd throw him overboard.”

Cookie knows that not everybody in a crew always gets along, but this is the kind of trouble that can easily get out of hand. He's going to find out who it was and let the man know that to mess around with Red or the dog is to mess with him too. The crew reveres Cookie as he controls the food, besides never having trouble with anybody.

At the end of another tiring day of training Orsini takes some time to write a letter to his mother and father.

“...and the training is making me more tired than I can ever remember being. I miss mom's cooking, especially the lasagna on Sundays when the family comes over. How's Uncle Vinnie doing? He's in the army somewhere out west if I remember...”

As the United States continues to mobilize more and more families are seeing their sons leave home for the first time, facing an uncertain future. The one good thing to come out of this war is that there is more work than anyone could've dreamed of. Some families have a father and some sons or daughters working in defense related jobs making more money than they ever imagined. The only problem is that there aren't a lot of things to spend it on so many are pouring it into savings accounts at the bank or buying war bonds to help win the war.

Attachment (1)

Todd

(in reply to tocaff)
Post #: 401
RE: Mobilization - 8/9/2010 12:20:41 PM   
tocaff

October 7, 1942 WAR IS ON HOLD!

“He said what? He can't do this to us!” Stalin wants to know if the same news has been heard in London and Washington.

“This can not be true,” says Churchill, “How can he do this to us?”

“I suppose that there's nothing that can be done,” says Roosevelt, “After all he calls all of the shots. But now?”

It's been confirmed and much to the chagrin of all those involved the keyboard is mightier than the sword. Nothing of any note happened today in the war so you're not missing anything.

I'll be hitting the road today and I hope that the next installment will come on the 16th, 17th at the latest. I'm going where there is no internet for a rendezvous with friends from the US traveling in Brazil.

Of course this happens to fall just as the you know what has hit the fan, Operation Snowball is in full swing. The AAR lags about 3 months behind the war. Things are going to get hot as the Allies gain strength.

Until then be well and thanks for reading my feeble efforts.

Pilot Pool

Attachment (1)

Todd

(in reply to tocaff)
Post #: 402
RE: Mobilization - 8/9/2010 12:22:16 PM   
tocaff

Naval Summary October 7, 1942

October 7, 1942

Intel

5060 men are based at Songkhia.
6th Ind. Brigade is located at Yenen.
124th IJN Base Force is located at Nanning.
103rd IJNAF Base Force is located at Yap.
21st Mixed Brigade is located 50 miles E Broome.
142nd IJA Base Force is located at Paramushiro Jima.
6717 men are based at Iwo Jima.
Yura Fortress is located at Takamatsu.
57th Construction Battalion is located at Maizuru.
1st Guards Mixed Brigade is located at Tokyo.
12th Army is located at Chungking.

Recon

R-12 takes recon photos of Tsitsihar 6 LCUs 27800/337/16
R-12 takes recon photos of Changkufeng 5 LCUs 36000/370/6
SB-2 takes recon photos of Hailar 9 LCUs 31640/334/9
SB-2 takes recon photos of Heiho 9 LCUs 53640/562/19
SB-2 takes recon photos of Mishan 4 LCUs 0/7/166
F-5A Lightning takes recon photos of Pagan 1 LCU 620/0/0
PBY Catalina takes recon photos of Tarawa 4 LCUs 15980/67/0
Do 24K-2 takes recon photos of Port Moresby 26 LCUs
PB2Y Coronado takes recon photos of Tulagi 10 LCUs 30060/294/8

Combat

Submarine Porpoise was attacked by IJN ASW assets at 108 mils NW of Darwin and suffered no damage.

35 X Tojo sweep Kunming and bounced the CAP of 7 X I-153c and 12 X I-16c. One Tojo was damaged and the Chinese lost 5X I-153c and 5 X I-16c with one additional plane damaged.

The submarine Sunfish attacked an TK 78 miles NE of Aparri, put a torpedo into her and it exploded on contact, leaving the victim with heavy damage and on fire. The Sunfish resumed her patrol without suffering any attack by the escort.

General Gott's plane was shot down and Montgomery was placed in command of the British 8th Army.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by tocaff -- 8/16/2010 7:29:59 PM >

Todd

(in reply to tocaff)
Post #: 403
RE: Mobilization - 8/16/2010 7:24:06 PM   
tocaff

October 8, 1942

Intel

Northern Area Force is located at Etorofo Jima.
248700 men are based at Sasebo.
47995 men are based at Maloelap.
1st Reserve AA Regiment is located at Kyoto.
50th Construction Battalion is located at Kyoto.
3rd Cavarly Brigade is located at Mishan.
1836 men are based at Hungnam.
Yokosuka 3rd SNLF is located at Rabaul.
56th Division is located at Lunga.
13th Aviation Rgt is located at Mukden.
Kwantung Area Army is located at Changchun.
4592 men are based at Toyama.
7808 men are based at Toyohara.
6th Air Division is located at Singapore.
3924 men are based at Nagato.

Recon

SB-2 takes recon photos of Heiho 9 LCUs 53280/630/27
SB-2 takes recon photos of Mishan 4 LCUs 0/8/132
Pe-2 takes recon photos of Mutanchiang 8 LCUs 23200/325/174
R-12 takes recon photos of Changkufeng 5 LCUs 36540/343/6
SB-2 takes recon photos of Hailar 7 LCUs 30080/325/6
PBY Catalina takes recon photos of Tarawa 4 LCUs 17500/70/0
Do 24K-2 takes recon photos of Port Moresby 16 fighters, 17 aux, 29 LCUs
PB2Y Coronado takes recon photos of Tulagi 10 LCUs 33900/378/7

Combat

Chinese bombarded the Japanese troops in the Chungking area inflicting light casualties.

34 X Tojo swept Kunming and were challenged by 4 X I-153c and 10 X I-16c and the Japanese feasted while suffering 1 Tojo downed they killed 4 X I-153c and 6 X I-16c.

The USAAC commenced with the bombing of Japanese bases in PNG in earnest the day after the airfield at Cooktown was expanded to a size large enough to handle 4E bombers by hammering Port Moresby. The raid was made up of 139 X B-17E, of which 11 were damaged and 4 X Do 24K-2 snooping around the area. The raid was met by a CAP of 13 X Zero and the Japanese discovered that not only is the B-17 a tough bird to bring down, they're deadly too with their bristling armament of Browning .50 cal machine guns which accounted for 6 X Zeros downed and another 2 damaged.

A damaged B-17E limps home on two engines as her pilot tries to compensate for the loss of both starboard engines. The co pilot is bleeding to death and two gunners are dead, one of whom was also the radio operator. The plane is losing altitude and finally the pilot gives the order to bail out to the remaining crew members. The pilot in an effort to give his crew a chance to escape the stricken bomber rides it down while 5 men manage to get out safely. The are small rescue craft working the waters and submarines are constantly traversing the area so the men have hopes of being picked up.

The Allied plan calls for the bombing of Port Moresby and Gili Gili airfields so that the Japanese will be unable to effectively use these bases to interfere with Allied shipping. Once this is achieved the Allied offensive in northern Australia will be assured of success, if not already accomplished and the move on Timor will follow.

Tomorrow the RN CVTF expects to arrive in Trimcomalee, thus reuniting the RN's Asiatic Fleet. Plans are being made for a limited air offensive operation to test the Japanese defenses in Burma. Depending on the results ground operations may commence or be delayed.

The submarine O16 has been rerouted to Colombo as her crew has managed to make all but the most difficult of repairs.

Ed gets a note from the White House informing him that Operation Torch plans were issued today. His war is in the Pacific and Torch is a drain on assets that are needed for Snowball. He as he heads home he compares the recently completed World Series to the war. The Yankees had won the opener, but the Cardinals stormed back to take the next 4 games to win the championship. The Allies will be like the Cardinals, he thinks.

There has been no more problems on the Palawan as a couple of crewmen explained that Lucky was the ship's mascot and good luck charm. To harm the dog in any way, shape or form would bring retribution.

Pete continues to cool his heels and he constantly on the lookout for something to break up the boredom. He actually went into town with that cute nurse. They spent a couple of hours wandering around before returning. They both had a nice time and agreed to do it again, soon.

The training is relentless and the boots are almost ready to become Marines. Even the ones who couldn't hit a target before are doing well. They are getting antsy to know where they will be assigned.

Sandy got a letter from Bill today. It was a long time in getting there and she's just happy that it did. He must be at sea if there hasn't been any mail for a while, she thinks.

The Japanese have 17018 VPs while the Allies have 5685 at this point in time.

Todd

(in reply to tocaff)
Post #: 404
RE: The Hand You're Dealt - 8/17/2010 9:59:41 PM   
tocaff

October 9, 1942 Washington DC

Intel

130th IJN Base Force is located at Darwin.
134th IJA Base Force is planning for an attack on Kiska Island.
39th Division is planning for an attack on Chungking.
5822 men are based at Aomori.
8902 men are based at Mukden.
1861 men are based at Tinian.
23rd Engineer Regiment is located at Inch'on.
52nd Construction Battalion is located at Changchun.
3rd Air Division is located at Rangoon.
1837 men are based at Hungnam.
57th Construction Battalion is located at Maizuru.
3569 men are based at Seoul.
Nagasaki Fortress is located at Nagasaki.

Recon

SB-2 takes recon photos of Hailar 6 LCUs 31320/330/8
SB-2 takes recon photos of Heiho 9 LCUs 53740/570/22
Pe-2 takes recon photos of Mutanchiang 8 LCUs 23540/321/160
R-12 takes recon photos of Changkufeng 5 LCUs 35680/368/6
PBY Catalina takes recon photos of Tarawa 4 LCUs 27500/108/0
Do 24K-2 takes recon photos of Port Moresby 26 fighters, 28 aux, 29 LCUs
PB2Y Coronado takes recon photos of Tulagi 10 LCUs 37200/362/3

Combat

Japanese aircraft have been snooping around all Australian coastal bases from Townsville, north to Cooktown.

The DD Inconstant spotted a minefield at Trimcomalee and has reported it to base HQs.

At Ledo the tranquility of the base is shattered by the sound of air raid sirens. The Japanese approach with 89 X Zero, 31 X Tony and 16 X Helen and are challenged by a CAP of 13 X Buffalo and 13 X Hurricane. In the madness of the ensuing air battle 2 Zeros, 1 Tony and a Helen are downed while 1 Tony and a Helen are damaged and limp back to home. The Allied pilots fared poorly as all of the Buffaloes were destroyed and all of the Hurricanes, plus another on the ground were eliminated.

WCDR H Davies of 242 Squadron was wounded in the action, but he managed to bail out of his plane safely and was promptly rescued by the men of a nearby ground unit. Once in the base hospital all he keeps repeating is that the Hurricane II is little more than a target for the nimble Japanese fighters. The Allies must deliver better planes to the front before the pilots revolt.

Above Baker Island 14 X Betty are welcomed by heavy flak and 1 plane crashes into the surf while 8 others are damaged. The Japanese inflicted light casualties to the 188th USA FAR. The Marines wonder when planes will be based there to protect them.

Donovan slides a piece of paper across Ed's desk that reads: The Red Army abandoned dual leadership, abolishing Communist political commissars today. Ed looks up and sighs.

“You know that these tidbits are not good for my morale, don't you? This intel business is not for me. I need a deck beneath my feet before I go stir crazy locked up in this building. Let's go eat.” Ed gets up and dons his coat. Bill Donovan and Ed leave the Pentagon for a late meal and conversation that both men find informative and relaxing.

“Stalin still giving us the runaround?” asks FDR, “He'll come around as son as his temper gets the better of him. The Japanese will do something that'll set him off and then he'll try to drive a hard bargain with us. One last thing, have Admiral Landy draw up a contingency plan in case the Japanese attack the New Hebrides while Snowball is rolling. That's all gentlemen.” Two secret servicemen help Franklin into his wheelchair after everyone has left.

During a card game one of the men asks Pete how well he knows a particular nurse. Pete icily stares at him and says that it's nobody's business but his and hers. The man apologizes and the game continues.

While replacing an axle in an old truck Dave managed to break his hand. Sandy was at the garage when it happened and immediately got him into their truck and drove him to the doctor's home, 12 miles away. Dave remarked that maybe she should slow down a bit before something else went wrong and she just told him to shut up and kept driving. Men, she thought to herself. With Dave's hand in a cast there will be more for her to do, which isn't so bad she thinks.

Aboard the Palawan a certain member of the crew has appropriated another pinup from Red's bunk. Until Red discovers who the culprit is it's going to drive him nuts. He daydreams of ways to get his revenge once he knows who it is.

Maureen O'Hara

Attachment (1)

Todd

(in reply to tocaff)
Post #: 405
RE: Flexibility - 8/18/2010 11:29:46 PM   
tocaff

October 10, 1942 Washington DC

Intel

13th AA Regiment is located at Maizuru.
3rd Division is located 70 miles E Chungking.
18th Naval Guard Unit is located 100 miles NW Wyndham.
68th Construction Battalion is located at Hamamatsu.
1st Mixed Regiment is located at Amoy.
49th Heavy AA Battalion is located at Mukden.
27th Engineer Regiment is located 118 miles NE Fushan.
Elements of the Mongol Cavalry Division are located 40 miles N Tatung.
1854 men are based at Tinian.
Funauke Fortress is located at Sakashima.
1830 men are based at Gumma.

Recon

SB-2 takes recon photos of Heiho 9 LCUs 53320/584/24
R-12 takes recon photos of Arshaan 2 LCUs 2160/49/0
R-12 takes recon photos of Tsitsihar 6 LCUs 26880/334/20
SB-2 takes recon photos of Mishan LCUs 11000/101/163
Pe-2 takes recon photos of Mutanchiang 20 fighters, 13 bombers, 15 aux, 7 LCUs 23560/332/159
R-12 takes recon photos of Changkufeng 5 LCUs 36740/358/8
SB-2 takes recon photos of Hailar 7 LCUs 35360/315/7
PBY Catalina takes recon photos of Tarawa 17 fighters, 8 bombers, 25 aux, 4 LCUs 28880/134/0
Do 24K-2 takes recon photos of Port Moresby 24 fighters, 40 aux, 29 LCUs

Combat

MSWs Cuttack and Rampur locate the mine field at Trimcomalee and start sweeping ops.

IJN PCs discover a mine field at Amboina.

Ed has suffered through another White House meeting that seemed like it would never end. An Army staff officer had droned on and on about the German and Italian bombers that started a major offensive against Malta today. Now that the meeting has been adjourned FDR summons Ed and says, “Ed I'd like you to join me for a little snort if you don't mind. Of course while we indulge ourselves we'll discuss Operation Snowball and the response plans that I wanted your input on.”

Ed accepts the drink and begins. “Operation Snowball as of now will hit Tarawa with 2 infantry divisions and an Engineer Regiment. Another infantry division is to be held in reserve at Canton Island. I believe that this division should be made available for an emergency in the New Hebrides. Even once it's been loaded and sent to Tarawa it should have the flexibility to alter course and make for Noumea. Of course the other units of Snowball should be withheld in order to maintain the momentum of the attack. The air units in the area can be shifted to the New Hebrides as needed and the USN can shift it's strength to there also once Tarawa's airfield is up and running for our birds.”

“So that's it? It's that simple? Why do so many Generals and Admirals get so bogged down in planning?” FDR takes another swig of his drink and a puff of his cigarette.

“My plan is simple because the assets needed are already in place. When we built LITS the bases were well stocked and that has been maintained. Those Generals and Admirals have one their jobs well.”

“Once again I thank you Ed,” says Roosevelt and Ed leaves.

Orsini aches everywhere as learning hand to hand combat is not for the faint at heart. He thought that he had always been able to handle himself in a fight, but this is something totally different. If only this was as easy as the range was.

Dave is managing to catch up on some paper work since repairs have to wait. He does pump some gas though and Sandy helps. She longs for the mail delivery, but nothing comes.

Red has another pinup ready to be put on the bulkhead, but he holds off. He wants to catch the guy, not lose another one. “Lucky,” he says to the dog sitting at his feet, “We need to catch the culprit and I wish you could help.” The dog just tilts his head to the side and then licks Red's hand.

The combat troops in Australia continue to move into their forward staging areas.

Victory Points

Japanese 17123
Allied 5701

Todd

(in reply to tocaff)
Post #: 406
RE: Flexibility - 8/19/2010 5:08:18 AM   
Capt. Harlock

quote:

The combat troops in Australia continue to move into their forward staging areas.

Operation Grinder is beginning to look like operation snoozefest. It takes until October to move the troops into position? Shouldn't there be some preliminary air combat?

Civil war? What does that mean? Is there any foreign war? Isn't every war fought between men, between brothers?

--Victor Hugo

(in reply to tocaff)
Post #: 407
RE: Flexibility - 8/19/2010 12:25:50 PM   
tocaff

CaptH

In WITP, vanilla, there are no bases from which to contest the air in the Darwin area unless it's from the sea.

Slow to move the troops up?  Yes, sadly it takes time for the US to get LCUs to Oz, bring everyone up to full strength and then into position.  The distances are vast.  So while it might seem to be a "snoozefest" be assured that rivers of blood will flow in the attempt to free Oz. 

As an aside, Grinder is secondary to Snowball.  Grinder, it is hoped will tie down large #s of Japanese troops for low value bases while also securing the rest of Oz from occupation.  A large force requires a large and long supply train, all assets that could be used elsewhere. 

Sometimes when things look bad they really aren't, or so we can hope.

Todd

Post #: 408
RE: Who? - 8/19/2010 7:27:04 PM   
tocaff

October 11, 1942

Intel

12th Army is planning for an attack on Chungking.
5850 men are based at Takamatsu.
150 ships are based at Tokyo.
10547 men are based at Etorofo Jima.
6723 men are based at Iwo Jima.
16th Aviation Rgt is located at Wuhan.
46th Construction Battalion is located 68 miles SE Sunwu with 4 other LCUs.
7th Engineer Regiment is located at Mutanchiang.
47th Heavy AA Battalion is located at Mandalay.
Elements of the 26th Division are located 28 miles S Poatang.
16th Army is located at Rabaul.
23rd Army is planning for an attack on Chungking.
Radio transmissions detected at Vancouver.

Recon

SB-2 takes recon photos of Heiho 9 LCUs 53580/611/21
R-12 takes recon photos of Arshaan 2 LCUs 3560/60/0
R-12 takes recon photos of Tsitsihar 6 LCUs 27800/316/19
SB-2 takes recon photos of Mishan 4 LCUs 0/5/140
Pe-2 takes recon photos of Mutanchiang 32 fighters, 24 bombers, 37 aux and 7 LCUs 22440/313/157
R-12 takes recon photos of Changkufeng 5 LCUs 35040/395/10
F-5A Lightning takes recon photos of Mandalay 103 fighters,122 aux and 13 LCUs 23360/211/5
PBY Catalina takes recon photos of Tarawa 4 LCUs 28040/102/0
Do 24K-2 takes recon photos of Port Moresby 9 fighters, 13 aux and 29 LCUs
PB2Y Coronado takes recon photos of Tulagi 10 LCUs 33020/358/8

Combat

MSWs Cuttack and Rampur continue sweeping ops at Trimcomalee

IJN ships detected mines at Fergusson Island.

33 X Tojo swept Kunming and engaged 2 X I-153c and 6 X I-16c. There were no Japanese losses while the Chinese lost 2 X I-153c and 3 X I-16c.

Port Moresby was attacked by 139 X B-17E and 10 X A6M2 Zero were on CAP.
4 X Do 24K-2 followed the bombers to snoop around during the raid's confusion.
The Japanese lost 4 X A6M2 Zero and another 2 were damaged. Allied aircraft losses were 14 X B-17E Fortress damaged. The Japanese took moderate loses to ground troops and heavy damage to the airbase, supplies and the runway.

Ed's phone rings and a Presidential aide introduces himself and says, “Admiral I'm sorry to bother you, but the President wants to know if there's any indication as to the ship types at Tokyo? He'd also like to know about the radio transmissions from Vancouver.”

Ed replies, “Negative to that as I'd like something more definitive on that myself. I've been raising hell about other reports too. I'd love to know why we never get anything other than a number of LCUs at Port Moresby and nothing about their composition. If it weren't for the radio intercepts we'd have no idea as to what units are there and even that's sketchy. The radio transmissions are of unknown origin and we're trying to track them down, but no success as of yet. My bet would be spies watching for shipping.”

“Thanks Admiral,” says the aide and the call is terminated.

Dave's hand is preventing him from doing almost everything that needs doing so Sandy out of exasperation finally says, “Why don't you just go fishing dad? We could use some fresh fish to eat for tonight's dinner.”

Dave sheepishly mutters, “But the station needs somebody there and you're busy in the house. The last time I looked even you can't be in two places at once.”

“Get going before I change my mind,” she says and he gathers his tackle and heads off.

Pete was invited to go on a picnic and he and the nurse have a nice time together. Pete reminds himself about the last time he fell for a female and what happened. He's decided that a friendship is all that he's going to allow. He does like this girl though as she's even thought to bring a beer for him.

Cookie and a member of the crew are sharing a laugh in the galley when Red walks in. The two men look at Red and ask what's up?

“Do either of you have any idea who's been playing these pranks on me? Last night when I got into my bunk somebody had greased it up.” Red is very upset and continues, “My pinup collection is one thing, but this is going to far. When I find out who is doing these things to me I'm going to more than get even.”

“Sorry lad,” says Cookie, “I have no idea as to who it could be.”

The orders have been transmitted to the Operation Grinder forces: Commence at 0550 15 October.

Todd

(in reply to tocaff)
Post #: 409
RE: Who? - 8/20/2010 4:24:39 PM   
tocaff

October 12, 1942 Aboard the Palawan

Intel

3rd Naval Construction Battalion is located at Nanning.
1st Division is located at Harbin.
24th Engineer Regiment is located at Chiamussu.
2nd Construction Battalion is located at Chungking.
1st Division is located at Harbin.
9th AF Construction Battalion is located at Bankha.
7th Aviation Rgt is located at Medan.
24043 men are based at Kanazawa.
1830 men are based at Hakodate.
7th Construction Battalion is planning for an attack on Chungking.
25th Army is located at Darwin.
6193 men are based at Taipei.

Recon

SB-2 takes recon photos of Heiho 9 LCUs 54080/587/25
R-12 takes recon photos of Arshaan 2 LCUs 5960/88/0
R-12 takes recon photos of Tsitsihar 6 LCUs 27600/310/16
Pe-2 takes recon photos of Mutanchiang 30 fighters, 20 bombers, 41 aux, 8 LCUs 21980/332/166
SB-2 takes recon photos of Hailar 7 LCUs 30500/307/11
F-5A Lightning takes recon photos of Lashio 2 LCUs 3980/16/0
PBY Catalina takes recon photos of Tarawa 4 LCUs 27700/121/0
Do 24K-2 takes recon photos of Port Moresby 15 fighters, 28 aux, 29 LCUs
SB-2 takes recon photos of Mishan 4 LCUs 0/8/162

Another quiet day in the Pacific as the Allies continue to push men and material forward.

“So Sandy I guess I'll be off to do some fishing again today, OK?” asks Dave.

“Dad, just try to catch something today so we don't starve to death.” replies Sandy with a grin on her face.

Dave knows that not getting any letters lately is stressing her and there's nothing he can do to ease her concerns.

Red has come up with a plan to catch his tormentor and presents it to Cookie. “So what do you think?” he asks.

“First off what makes you think that it's not me? You know that if it was I now know your scheme and it won't work. Secondly I don't think it'll work as long as so many men bunk together in a confined area. Maybe you should just let it go.” Cookie looks at Red and wonders why these silly pranks bother him so much.

“Cookie, if it was you then I'd be really screwed because you're the one person who I know I can trust. I have to find out who it is so I can have some fun turning the tables on him.” Red seems determined and Cookie just nods.

“Damn, I ache. I can't believe that they're willing to kill us in training like this,” says Orsini rubbing his right shoulder. “If the Japs are tougher than this we're in for a world or trouble.”

“I heard that they think it's cowardly to surrender and that it's an honor to die in the service of the Emperor. I also have heard stories about how cruel they are with prisoners.” says another boot.

“That's a wonderful thought,” chimes in someone else. “So they are hardened troops who can survive on short rations, long marches and then fight and kick butts? Maybe you shouldn't worry about the pain Joe.”

Joe replies, “So I suppose the only thing we can do is to be tougher than them and pray that our leaders know what they're doing.”

Stalin stares at the cable from Washington and snorts, “When they open a Second Front, and not before, will I be willing to discuss this basing of American troops on our territory. My only concern now is stopping the Germans and then crushing them so that they may never threaten the Rodina again. Does this Roosevelt really think that he can win the war by sending us tanks and planes, but not having Americans die? We do not fight for them. We fight for our existence, our way of life.”

Todd

(in reply to tocaff)
Post #: 410
RE: Shortened - 8/22/2010 1:03:13 AM   
tocaff

October 13, 1942 Parris Island

Intel

Chichi Jima Fortress is located at Niigata.
Chinhae Bay Fortress is located at Pusan.
15th Mixed Brigade is located at Chungking.
10th Hvy Gun Regiment is located at Heiho.
15th Construction Battalion is located at Jolo.
5316 men are based at Nagasaki.
36th Division is planning for an attack on Chungking.
14th Naval Construction Battalion is located at Osaka/Kobe.
139th IJN Base Force is located at Tokyo.
6th Reserve Tank Regiment is located at Osaka/Kobe.
4th Division is located at Rangoon.
1st AA Regiment is located at Tokyo.
2nd Reserve AA Regiment is located at Tokyo.

Recon

SB-2 takes recon photos of Heiho 9 LCUs 62800/750/29
R-12 takes recon photos of Tsitsihar 6 LCUs 28400/290/16
SB-2 takes recon photos of Mishan 4 LCUs 800/26/156
Pe-2 takes recon photos of Mutanchiang 25 fighters, 13 bombers, 37 aux, 8 LCUs 23380/340/169
R-12 takes recon photos of Changkufeng 5 LCUs 36440/351/7
SB-2 takes recon photos of Hailar 7 LCUs 30020/321/8
F-5A Lightning takes recon photos of Myitkyina 2 LCUs 7720/73/0
R-12 takes recon photos of Arshaan 2 LCUs 5280/82/0
PBY Catalina takes recon photos of Tarawa 4 LCUs 26920/114/0
Do 24K-2 takes recon photos of Port Moresby 60 fighters, 122 aux, 29 LCUs

Combat

MSW Rampur continues sweeping ops at Trimcomalee

4 Japanese MSWs locate a mine field at Namlea.

3 X Hudson I spot the IJN BB Kirishima 285 miles NW of Cooktown and press home an attack hitting the ship with one bomb. One of the Hudsons suffered damage. An hour later 14 X Hudson I attacked the Kirishima scoring no hits and having 7 planes damaged. The alarm has been sounded and orders are given for the B-17s to vacate Cooktown as it appears that the IJN is going to bombard the base. The question is why has only one ship been spotted?

“Some of you will not see the end of this war. Others will get wounded. What you must get through those thick skulls of yours is that you can't worry about it. The only thing that you can do is to follow your orders and be aware of what is going on around you. The day may come that other Marines may look to you for guidance. I want you to remember what you've learned here.” The DI looks at the boots and continues with, “The demands for troops being made on us means that your training cycle has been cut short. You will be getting your orders at the end of next week. I expect that all of you will work harder than ever until then. So, what do you say to a nice little hike and then a trip to the range?”

With a very loud “AYE! AYE! SIR!” the boots are dismissed and then run to the barracks to grab their gear.

Still no mail and Sandy can't help worrying more and more. The news in the papers and on the radio say nothing of major naval battles in the Pacific, but she doesn't even know if he's in the Pacific. Dave tries to comfort her, to no avail.

As Operation Grinder draws closer the unit commanders are clamoring for more information on the enemy they will be facing. There are no answers to their questions as the distances are to great to be covered by aircraft and the RAN remains at Brisbane while the USN's might is spread from the New Hebrides all the way to Pearl Harbor. Ships are being rushed into repair yards for refits so that they will be ready for Operation Snowball.

Palwan continues towards Noumea with her load of supplies. The IJN subs seem to have disappeared compared to earlier in the war. Red has set his plan in motion despite Cookie telling him that it'll never work.

Pete is so tired of taking it easy that if somebody tells him to do it again he'll, well he'll something. When the hell are ships heading east, he wonders.

“ So despite our reservations the operation will still commence on the 15th?” asks FDR.

“Yes sir, I'm afraid so. We can't get the Aussies to budge on this one,” replies General Marshall.

“Who can blame them? Imagine if one of our states was taken by the enemy,” answers Roosevelt.

"By the way the Red Army pushed the Germans back in Stalingrad," Marshall says.

Todd

(in reply to tocaff)
Post #: 411
RE: Sleepless Night - 8/23/2010 6:30:46 PM   
tocaff

October 14, 1942

Intel

248710 men are based at Sasebo.
8th Aviation Rgt is located at Chiamussu.
Elements of the 70th Division are located at Nanchang.
China Expeditionary Army is located at Chungking.
1st Army is located 67 miles NE Homan.
3rd Army is located 49 miles NE Fushan.
49th Heavy AA Battalion is located at Mukden.
40th Construction Battalion is located at Changchun.
45th Road Construction Battalion is located at Chiamussu.
Southern Area Army is located at Singapore.
5317 men are based at Wonsan.
114th IJA Base Force is located at Chengting.
116th IJA Base Force is located at Nanchang.
11th AA Regiment is located at Osaka/Kobe.
6th Construction Battalion is located at Heiho.

Recon

SB-2 takes recon photos of Heiho 9 LCUs 73020/820/26
Pe-2 takes recon photos of Fushan 1 LCU 1040/6/0
R-12 takes recon photos of Arshaan 2 LCUs 6320/93/0
R-12 takes recon photos of Tsitsihar 6 LCUs 27900/329/18
Pe-2 takes recon photos of Mutanchiang 24 fighters, 25 bombers, 27 aux, 8 LCUs 25440/354/179
R-12 takes recon photos of Changkufeng 5 LCUs 35840/346/1
SB-2 takes recon photos of Hailar 7 LCUs 29720/319/6
F-5A Lightning takes recon photos of Rangoon 20 fighters, 106 bombers, 104 aux,
1 X SS, 3 X AP, 1 X CL, 4 X PT, 2 X CA and 20 LCUs
PBY Catalina takes recon photos of Tarawa 6 fighters, 11 bombers, 14 aux, 4 LCUs 27460/110/0
SB-2 takes recon photos of Mishan 4 LCUs 0/6/167

Combat

Japanese MSWs encounter a mine field at Amboina and start sweeping it.

MSW Cuttack is sweeping mines at Trimcomalee.

A Japanese air raid 39 miles S of Sian made up of 30 X Ann was met by 3 X I-16c. The bombers do moderate damage to the ground troops attacked, but lose 4 planes while 1 other is damaged.

54 X B-17E attack a Japanese TF 225 miles SW Port Moresby, suffering 2 damaged planes and scoring no hits. It was reported that APs, DDs and CAs were in the TF.

It's getting cold in the Alaska area and the window for the Japanese to attack will close for the winter. The General Staff is not discounting a Japanese move during the winter, but the thinking is that it'll take much more effort then.

“Pete,” says the doctor, “ I know that you are terribly bored and want to get home, but you are still recovering from a terrible ordeal and Sour Mash Whiskey is of very doubtful medicinal value. The drinking will moderate or be stopped altogether.”

“I'm getting really tired of people telling me what I can and can not do with my life. People have been trying to kill me and now you tell me that I shouldn't drink? Give me a break doc. If I don't listen to you what'll you do to me, send me home or spank me?” Pete gets up from his seat and stalks out of the doctor's office slamming the door as he leaves. Damn these people, he thinks. I was better off fighting the Japs because at least with them you know where you stand.

Red is still sure that his plan will work, but Cookie keeps telling him to just let it go. “If you just leave it to the crew they'll catch your tormentor. Don't forget that you and Lucky are good luck charms to them. Palawan's crew will always take care of you. Until you decide to leave this old rust bucket is your home and we're your family. How about helping to peel some of these potatoes,” asks Cookie in closing.

“OK, to the potatoes, but as to leaving my problems to the crew, I just don't know,” says Red.

“Dad aren't you getting tired of eating all of these fish lately,” asks Sandy. “How about a nice juicy steak instead?”

“No letters again today? OK I'll take a break from fishing and pump the gas tomorrow,” Dave replies.

Ed sits at his desk and decides that he'll head home, take a nice hot bath with a double and then get a good night's sleep. As he's leaving the office an orderly hands him some papers. Just as he's going to give them back he glances at the top one that reads:

The Tractor Factory in Stalingrad was surrounded by the Germans today.

Damn, he thinks, will this war ever see the swing of momentum that we all say is on the way?

The Australians and the American troops that are Operation Grinder are trying to get some sleep in their forward positions before they move up to the jump off points assigned to them.

Todd

(in reply to tocaff)
Post #: 412
RE: Operation Grinder Commences - 8/24/2010 11:24:10 PM   
tocaff

October 15, 1942 Australia

Intel

5th Fleet is located at Ominato.
56th Construction Battalion is located at Singapore.
1st Aviation Rgt is located at Johore Bahru.
North China Area Army is planning for an attack on Sian.
12th Army is planning for an attack on Chungking.
7929 men are based at Toyohara.
19186 men are based at Shikka.
Tsugaru Fortress is located at Aomori.
14th Ind. Brigade is located at Wuhan.
41st Division is planning for an attack on Sian.
Hunchun Garrison Regiment is located 27 miles SW Changkufeng.
Kwantung Area Army is located at Changchun.
2710 men are based at Taejon.

Recon

SB-2 takes recon photos of Heiho 9 LCUs 62040/661/29
SB-2 takes recon photos of Mishan 4 LCUs 0/9/139
Pe-2 takes recon photos of Mutanchiang 18 fighters, 25 bombers, 39 aux, 8 LCUs 26240/319/159
SB-2 takes recon photos of Hailar 7 LCUs 29840/310/11
F-5A Lightning takes recon photos of Rangoon 1 X SS, 1 X CL, 5 X AP, 33 fighters, 122 bombers, 145 aux, 20 LCUs
R-12 takes recon photos of Arshaan 2 LCUs 5800/89/0
R-12 takes recon photos of Changkufeng 5 LCUs 36660/336/7
PBY Catalina takes recon photos of Tarawa 6 fighters, 13 bombers, 25 aux, 4 LCUs 27340/116/0

Combat

3 X B-17E attacked Port Moresby and were jumped by 41 X Zero. Negligible damage was done to the base and 1 bomber went down while another limped towards home. 5 of the CAP are shot up and the Japanese pilots will have stories to tell of the Flying Fortress' toughness and it's firepower.

5 IJN MSWs attacked the SS Narwhal 70 miles SE Guam doing no damage.

A Japanese force of 103.5K troops attacked the Chinese, numbering 25.4K 33 miles NE of Chungking. The Chinese were forced to retreat towards the SW, having suffered moderate casualties. The victorious Japanese lost very heavily, an expensive proposition for them.

Patrols out of Trimcomalee spot and attack an IJN sub. No claims of a kill are made, but an oil slick is spotted. The IJN has decided that this area should get lots of attention from their subs. The RN suffers from a lack of DDs to adequately deal with this threat.

Palawan's voyage continues as does Red's need to know who has plagued him.

The boots at Parris Island are sharp and they're as ready as they'll ever be. Orsini is tired and bored with drills, marches and whatever else that is thrown his way.

Dave has enjoyed a relaxing day as neighbors came by to say hello and see how he was doing. Two of them even bought some gasoline. Sandy spent her day between the house and the station. There was no mail again.

The O'Bannon sits in Pearl Harbor awaiting new orders. Bill writes to Sandy asking for her forgiveness as he's been so busy seeing to the needs of his crew and ship that he hasn't been able to mail any letters for the past couple of days.

The Benham is making for Pearl Harbor where she will undergo a refit. Phil looks forward to some time to relax.

Convoys continue unmolested by the Japanese as they move supplies, fuel and men into position so that Operation Snowball will succeed.

Operation Grinder commenced right on schedule as the troops moved forwards. No contact with the Japanese was expected and none has been made as of yet. More units will move up to lend their weight to Grinder as it is hoped that the Australian and American troops will be strong enough to evict the unwanted visitors.

Todd

(in reply to tocaff)
Post #: 413
RE: This is Operation Grinder - 8/25/2010 8:10:19 PM   
tocaff

October 16, 1942 Australia

Intel

4330 men are based at Pusan.
5th Reserve AA Regiment is located at Taejon.
Sasebo 2nd SNLF is located at Singapore.
9th Division is located 18 miles SW of Hungnam.
9th Engineer Regiment is located 23 miles W of Hungnam.
Elements of the 6th Mongolian Cavalry Division are located 190 miles S of Tabun-Nur.
13th AA Regiment is located at Maizuru.
56th Brigade is located at Andaman Island.
94151 men are based at Taan.
86872 men are based at Camranh Bay.
187730 men are based at Truk.
11th Heavy AA Battalion is located at Osaka/Kobe.
8th Ind. Brigade is located at Chengting.
3rd FF Construction Battalion is located at Anshan.
10545 men are based at Etorofo Jima.

Recon

SB-2 takes recon photos of Heiho 9 LCUs 60600/684/25
R-12 takes recon photos of Arshaan 2 LCUs 5600/79/0
R-12 takes recon photos of Tsitsihar 6 LCUs 27280/302/15
SB-2 takes recon photos of Mishan 4 LCUs 1640/5/148
SB-2 takes recon photos of Hailar 7 LCUs 31040/334/5
PBY Catalina takes recon photos of Tarawa 4 LCUs 28060/118/0
Pe-2 takes recon photos of Fushan 1 LCU 1120/6/0
Pe-2 takes recon photos of Mutanchiang 31 fighters, 18 bombers, 36 aux, 8 LCUs 25800/329/171
R-12 takes recon photos of Changkufeng 5 LCUs 35300/341/9
F-5A Lightning takes recon photos of Rangoon 31 fighters, 118 bombers, 167 aux, 1 CA, 2 Cls, 4 Pts, 1 AP, 3 AKs, 20 LCUs

Combat

IJN MSWs encountered a mine field at Tarakan and commenced sweeping ops.

33 X B-17E raided Gili Gili and were pounced on by 18 X Zero. 6 X Flying Fortresses go down and another 21 were damaged. The Japanese lost 1 Betty and 2 Nells on the ground and 10 X Zero were damaged. The airfield was lightly damaged and operations against it will take greater efforts in the future.

65 X B-17 E were met by 43 X Zero in the skies over Port Moresby. The Japanese CAP shot down 6 B-17Es and damaged another 27 of them while losing 10 Zeros and another 18 were damaged. The airfield suffered moderate damage and a supply dump was hit.

Ground combat 110 miles SE of Darwin saw an Allied force of 31.2K troops attack a Japanese defending force consisting of 1.5K men of the 4th NCB, forcing the Japanese to retreat towards Darwin. The Allied force suffered no casualties by some miracle and the Japanese lost heavily. This contact was nothing more than a trip wire, but why was it a construction battalion? Surely the Japanese know that the Allies are on the march now.

The long awaited Allied advance in Australia has now kicked off. A couple of days ago 2 divisions of infantry moved up close to the Japanese blocking position and another division was ordered up prior to the attack as a reserve. These 3 divisions will lead the way, slowly, towards Darwin with a rotation of 1 of them always in the lead and the other 2 in reserve. This is the first Allied offensive of any consequence of the war and it is made up of Australian and American troops. It has been named, appropriately it is hoped, Operation Grinder. The Allied commanders plan on a slow, plodding advance to minimize casualties and to allow the splitting of the force to make for a broader front to stretch the defenders. It is hoped that Allied armor can make a difference on the battlefield as there is a lack of LBA in this advance until an adequate base can be taken. The navies of the Allied cause are also not participating in this operation as the risk is to great in facing Japanese LBA, Betty and Nell, and the IJN so far from a friendly port. Depending on the results of Operation Grinder the Allied offensive plans and timetable are hinged.

The troops committed to Operation Grinder

Darwin Force

32 USA Division
24 USA Division
1 Australian Division
Gull Force Battalion
Darwin Defense Brigade
101 Australian AT Regiment
6 Australian Division
2 Australian AT Regiment
19 USA Engineer Regiment
1 Australian Cav Division
Australian 1 Army HQ
Australian 1 Corps HQ
US 1 Corps HQ

Wyndham Force

754 USA Tank Battalion
193 USA Tank Battalion
3 Australian Tank Regiment
2 Australian Tank Regiment
2 Australian Cav Division
3 Australian Division
Sparrow Force Battalion
112 USA Cav Regiment
SWPAC HQ

Derby and Broome

4 Australian Division
2 Australian Division
1 Australian AT Regiment

It is hoped that Derby and Broome can be handled by the 2 Australian Divisions and that Wyndham will then, at worst, be isolated and later overwhelmed. Darwin is expected to be a bloody affair with other Grinder troops to move there as needed. In the meantime other Australian bases are on guard against an end run supported by the IJN.

Ed is aware of the kick off of Grinder and knows about the naval forces being assembled for Operation Torch. These vessels are needed in the Pacific, badly, but the Europe First policy will force the PTO to drag on longer than necessary.

Dave is adjusting rapidly to life with only one good hand as he sits in the garage's office playing euchre with a friend of his. All is good today as Sandy got 2 letters and she's happy.

Pete has heard the rumors of a big battle going on to retake Japanese occupied Australian territory. What he really wants to hear is that finally there is transport for him to go home. He has managed to stay out of trouble for a whole day today and the staff was actually smiling at him. He knows that he's been a pain, but he's bored alone and minus an arm. Life could be worse, but it sure could be better.

Another day closer to really being a Marine means a lot to the boots at Parris Island. Orsini knows that in just a few more days he'll have his orders and then who knows....

Stalin has decided that before the winter is over he will make demands again of the Japanese which he knows will be unacceptable. That will be pretext to allow the Americans what they want, basing rights. Of course these rights will cost them and will become Soviet bases after the war is won. The Americans are so naive, he thinks. They focus on the war and tend not to look past it. On the other hand Churchill views things differently and he has Roosevelt's ear, which could become a problem.

Victory Points Japan 17171 Allied 5769

Todd

(in reply to tocaff)
Post #: 414
RE: This is Operation Grinder - 8/25/2010 8:24:53 PM   
Capt. Harlock

quote:

The long awaited Allied advance in Australia has now kicked off.

And not before time, says I. I'm guessing Broome will be the first potential airbase to fall -- do you have construction units in the area?

--Victor Hugo

(in reply to tocaff)
Post #: 415
RE: This is Operation Grinder - 8/25/2010 11:03:36 PM   
tocaff

There are support units, bases, etc. at the tail of the force.  I just gave the combat troops, tip of the spear.

Todd

Post #: 416
RE: Going Again - 8/26/2010 3:59:27 PM   
tocaff

October 17, 1942 Washington DC

Intel

16th Army is located at Rabaul.
23rd Army is planning for an attack on Chungking.
5849 men are based at Takamatsu.
5915 men are based at Niigata.
6th Reserve Tank Regiment is located at Osaka/Kobe.
7th Ind. Brigade is located 78 miles SW Changsha.
16th AA Regiment is located at Singapore.
106th IJA Base Force is located at Anshan.
Kaosing Fortress is located at Takao.
8th Ind. Brigade is located at Chengting.
Elements of the 8th Mongolian Cavalry Division are located 33 miles S Chengting.
38th Construction Battalion is located at Toyohara.
Radio transmissions detected at Vancouver.

Recon

SB-2 takes recon photos of Heiho 9 LCUs 55200/728/19
R-12 takes recon photos of Tsitsihar 6 LCUs 27820/307/14
SB-2 takes recon photos of Mishan 4 LCUs 840/17/142
Pe-2 takes recon photos of Mutanchiang 8 LCUs 25560/312/160
SB-2 takes recon photos of Hailar 7 LCUs 31100/329/9
F-5A Lightning takes recon photos of Rangoon 31 fighters, 131 bombers, 143 aux, 1 CA, 2 CLs, 4 PTs, 3 APs, 2 AKs, 20 LCUs
PBY Catalina takes recon photos of Tarawa 4 LCUs 27340/124/0
Pe-2 takes recon photos of Fushan 1 LCU 1060/4/0
R-12 takes recon photos of Arshaan 2 LCUs 5320/87/0
R-12 takes recon photos of Changkufeng 5 LCUs 35480/360/7

Combat

MSWs Cuttack, Rampur and Cromarty were busy sweeping a mine field at Trimcomalee.

“Can't were locate through triangulation those damned radio transmissions coming out of the Vancouver area? Maybe more effort needs to be put into the hunt,” says Ed into the phone. “Sure I know that it's an easy place to hide and watch the shipping go by, but that doesn't mean that we can't do something about it. Right, just like the poster says 'Loose Lips Sink Ships.' Yeah, OK then I'll speak to them too. Bye.” With a sigh Ed hangs up and wonders what the hell people expect of him. He's not involved in security, but because his reports make mention of things they tend to come back to roost.

“They aren't rumors Pete,” says the attendant. “The Australians and Americans are pushing forward towards liberating our country from the Nips.”

Pete doesn't envy those poor boys as he knows first hand what it's like to face the Japanese troops.

The forces of Grinder are slowly advancing and met no opposition today.

Orders for O'Bannon to restock her food and ammo lockers were issued today. Bill doesn't know what's afoot, but he does know that he'll be the first on board to know for sure.

“Again? He's leaving again? How can he? Operation Grinder just started and he's going away for the weekend? What's wrong with this guy?” FDR has just reacted to being told that I'm leaving in a short time and won't be returning until the 30th. Just like the last trip I'll have no internet access so...Thanks for reading and I'll be back soon with more of the war soon.

Todd

(in reply to tocaff)
Post #: 417
RE: Going Again - 8/26/2010 7:11:08 PM   
gladiatt

quote:

ORIGINAL: tocaff

“Again? He's leaving again? How can he? Operation Grinder just started and he's going away for the weekend? What's wrong with this guy?”

(in reply to tocaff)
Post #: 418
RE: Going Again - 8/27/2010 8:21:07 PM   
Capt. Harlock

quote:

FDR has just reacted to being told that I'm leaving in a short time and won't be returning until the 30th. Just like the last trip I'll have no internet access so...Thanks for reading and I'll be back soon with more of the war soon.

Another interruption?? You'd think it was August or something with all these trips!

--Victor Hugo

(in reply to tocaff)
Post #: 419
RE: Going Again - 8/30/2010 5:32:26 PM   
tocaff

Actually August is winter here, though we've been in the low to mid 80s.

October 18, 1942 Washington DC

Intel

2nd Reserve AA Regiment is located at Tokyo.
5th Engineer Regiment is located at Port Moresby.
21st Aviation Unit is located at Batan Island.
1st Aviation Rgt is located at Johore Bahru.
130th IJNAF Base Force is located at Eniwetok.
11822 men are based at Paramushiro Jima.
5th AA Regiment is located at Niigata.
42nd AA Regiment is located at Seoul.
102nd IJA Base Force is located at Harbin.
3571 men are based at Nagoya.
12th Ind. Brigade is located at Changsha.
15th Mixed Brigade is located at Chungking.
21st AA Regiment is planning for an attack on Chungking.
2nd Air Division is located at Harbin.
1861 men are based at Tinian.

Recon

SB-2 takes recon photos of Heiho 9 LCUs 53340/721/26
R-12 takes recon photos of Tsitsihar 6 LCUs 28040/308/18
R-12 takes recon photos of Tabun-Nur 1 LCU 1240/13/0
R-12 takes recon photos of Changkufeng 5 LCUs 35740/340/7
SB-2 takes recon photos of Hailar 7 LCUs 32020/332/10
Pe-2 takes recon photos of Fushan 1 LCU 1140/5/0
PBY Catalina takes recon photos of Tarawa 4 LCUs 27100/128/0
F-5A Lightning takes recon photos of Rangoon 27 fighters, 123 bombers, 153 aux, 4 X CL, 3 X CA, 4 X PT, 2 X AK, 1 X AP, 20 LCUs

Combat

Mine sweeping ops continue at Trimcomalee.

IJN TF encounters mine field at Rabaul.

Bill Donovan has stopped by Ed's office to see if he'd like to have some dinner. While Ed reads the report Bill brought him Donovan stares at Bill's old map of the Pacific and all of the orange pins in it.

“Have you kept this map up to date since Bill left,” asks Donovan.

“Yeah, it's current and I hope that damned soon we can start removing pins,” replies Ed. “This is interesting stuff and the price of a meal is you telling me more about Norway.”

German and Italian daylight air raids on Malta have been suspended.

The German advance by Army Group A to Tuapse has been halted by terrain and the Red Army.

Hitler ordered that captured Allied commandos all be shot.

Four Norwegian commandos parachuted in to recon the area around Telemark, Norway where the Germans have an atomic weapons development plant.

Donovan says, “OK, let's go then.”

Operation Grinder continues to push forward, meeting no Japanese opposition.

Pete has now taken to reading any newspaper that he can lay his hands on searching for news of Operation Grinder. So far all he has found is a story saying that Australian and American troops have moved closer to the enemy. “Censorship,” he grumbles to himself.

O'Bannon is ready for sea and her crew is ready and raring to go, but no sailing orders have been issued yet. Bill has little to do as he delegates authority to his officers to run their sections as they see fit. In his estimation this is working well and the officers confidence in themselves is growing as a result. Another benefit is that he has time to write to Sandy.

Benham continues on towards Pearl and her refit. Phil looks forward to anything that will make the ship a more deadly platform. He also wonders if the shore leave will cause problems like in the past or he'll actually have some time to relax and enjoy himself.

Red has not managed to get any closer to discovering who has been tearing his pinups off of the bulkhead. Cookie has been busy feeding the crew and as they draw closer to where they think the Japanese may be the men busily stare at the ocean and sky thinking that extra eyes can't hurt. The men still have their doubts about the USN being able to protect them. They also are acting differently towards Red and Lucky. Red noticed to today when he went to the galley he was offered more food and men stood out of his way in the line. Superstitions carry more weight when fear is growing.

Gunny has complained to the platoon CO who has kicked it up the ladder and the answer that came back is to “deal with it” that replacements will come before Operation Snowball commences. All of the intensified training continues to increase the number of injuries and deaths suffered by the various units.

Two more days and Orsini's training platoon will become Marines. He's been told that he can expect to get 2 weeks leave before having to report to his new unit. He's also heard that the 1st and 2nd Marine Divisions will be the destinations for most of the men, but scuttlebutt isn't a reliable source.

Victory Points Japanese 17314 Allied 5779

Todd

Post #: 420
Page:   <<   < prev  12 13 [14] 15 16   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> After Action Reports >> RE: Tough One Page: <<   < prev  12 13 [14] 15 16   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI