Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Tough Going

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> After Action Reports >> RE: Tough Going Page: <<   < prev  14 15 [16] 17 18   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Tough Going - 9/23/2010 10:47:04 PM   
tocaff

November 8, 1942

Intel

Iki Fortress is located at Ikitsuki.
13th Division is planning for an attack on Chungking.
Ryojun Fortress is located at Port Arthur.
111th IJN Base Force is located at Shikka.
2nd AA Regiment is located at Tokyo.
17th Reserve Coastal Artillery Regiment is located at Niigata.
62nd Construction Battalion is located at Lunga.
1818 men are based at Fushan.
187083 men are based at Saipan.
1st Aviation Rgt is located at Johore Bahru.
4596 men are based at Toyama.

Recon

Do 24K-2 takes recon photos of Port Moresby 50 fighters, 28 LCUs

Combat

IJN aircraft again attacked Derby causing light casualties and moderate damage to the airfield and it's facilities.

The artillery exchanges continued at the rail junction and the Allies suffered heavy casualties while the Japanese almost none at all. I find these results very strange as the number of guns is roughly equal, but the results aren't at all.

S-28 is losing her battle against the sea as her flooding is worsening. The question is can she make it to Cairns which is 300 miles away.

Ed is aware that Operation Grinder appears to have stalled and wonders what it's commanders have up their sleeves to get things moving again. He turns his attention back to other matters that cross his desk and his day drags on.

Sandy seems a bit more cheerful today, but Dave is wary of telling her that no mail came again. She takes the news in stride and tells him that either she gets on with her life or she'll become a war casualty.

Pete has been taking some good natured joking around from his fellow patients about Sylvia. He laughs and tells them to eat their hearts out.

Phil spends the day at the yard in Pearl Harbor with his skipper. They are checking on their ship as it nears completion. After a through inspection they leave the base and go out for a meal and something to drink. As they walk down a street in Honolulu one of their crew staggers by, drunk as a skunk. The man stops dead in his tracks, tries to turn around and falls flat on his face. Suddenly three other men from the Benham appear and they snap to attention, salute and make their apologies for their shipmate. They swear up and down that they'll take the man back to the base and avoid any trouble. Phil shrugs after the men are gone and says that maybe he can scare the Japanese Navy too.

Todd

I never thought that doing an AAR would be so time consuming and difficult.
www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2080768

(in reply to Capt. Harlock)
Post #: 451
RE: Tough Going - 9/24/2010 5:06:52 PM   
Capt. Harlock

quote:

he artillery exchanges continued at the rail junction and the Allies suffered heavy casualties while the Japanese almost none at all. I find these results very strange as the number of guns is roughly equal, but the results aren't at all.

IIRC, the game is sophisticated enough to take into account the sizes and ranges of the various guns. Number of guns is just a summary -- you could be outmatched in weight of metal. It could also be you're up against more experienced gunners.

Civil war? What does that mean? Is there any foreign war? Isn't every war fought between men, between brothers?

--Victor Hugo

(in reply to tocaff)
Post #: 452
RE: Tough Going - 9/24/2010 10:18:49 PM   
rtrapasso

quote:

ORIGINAL: Capt. Harlock

quote:

he artillery exchanges continued at the rail junction and the Allies suffered heavy casualties while the Japanese almost none at all. I find these results very strange as the number of guns is roughly equal, but the results aren't at all.

IIRC, the game is sophisticated enough to take into account the sizes and ranges of the various guns. Number of guns is just a summary -- you could be outmatched in weight of metal. It could also be you're up against more experienced gunners.

i've found a lot of it has to do with relative supply... i am currently in an artillery duel in China where i am outnumbered and have worse troops, but i consistently inflict more casualties... i think this is due to supply considerations.

Another factor is forts: if the IJA has been in the hex for a while, they are probably dug in - i.e. - they may have a few forts more than the Allies, which will also make a difference in casualties.

Post #: 453
RE: Tough Going - 9/24/2010 10:27:15 PM   
tocaff

The artillery dues are taking place in open terrain.  Allied supply is good.  Artillery units are engaged as are infantry divisions. 

Luck of the roll?  Oh well......

Todd

(in reply to rtrapasso)
Post #: 454
RE: Tough Going - 9/24/2010 11:11:57 PM   
tocaff

November 9, 1942 Darwin

Intel

2nd Air Division is located at Harbin.
2473 men are based at Kyoto.
125 aircraft are based at Changchun.
6715 men are based at Iwo Jima.
7th Coastal Gun Regiment is located at Ominato.
102nd IJN Base Force is located at Paramushiro Jima.
Elements of the 110th Division are located at Paotang.
3569 men are based at Nagoya.
187074 men are based at Saipan.
11th AA Regiment is located at Osaka/Kobe.
7th Base Force is located at Bonin.
12th Heavy AA Battalion is located at Nagoya.

Recon

R-12 takes recon photos of Arshaan 2 LCUs 6160/69/0
Pe-2 takes recon photos of Mishan 4 LCUs 1300/20/158
Pe-2 takes recon photos of Mutanchiang 8 LCUs 25060/373/187
R-12 takes recon photos of Changkufeng 5 LCUs 36160/354/1
SB-2 takes recon photos of Hailar 7 LCUs 39340/305/2
F-5A Lightning takes recon photos of Rahaeng nothing detected
Do 24K-2 takes recon photos of Port Moresby 28 LCUs
SB-2 takes recon photos of Heiho 9 LCUs 69200/779/33
R-12 takes recon photos of Tsitsihar 6 LCUs 28260/335/15

Combat

154 X B-17E attacked Gili Gili and the Japanese had 33 X Zero aloft to greet them.
The Zeros aggressively tried to defend their base losing 14 planes and 7 others were damaged. 5 of the big bombers went down and another 59 suffered damage. They destroyed a Betty and 3 Nells on the ground and did moderate damage to the base itself.

18 X Bettys hit Baker Island doing negligible damage. It was reported that 8 of the attackers were damaged by flak.

The artillery bombardments at the rail junction saw the Allies suffer heavy casualties again while the Japanese loses were very light.

Tarpon arrived in Brisbane and workers swarmed over her to complete unfinished repairs.

Ed had a gut feeling that when the Australians put tremendous pressure on Washington that the result was going to be things weren't going to go as planned. Grinder has been revised as the Wyndham contingent is pulling back and will join the Darwin force at the rail junction. While this is going on 2 artillery units should arrive there and an additional 2 infantry divisions will also make it there. It is hoped that this concentrated force will dent the Japanese defenses. Not much I can do about this mess as it's the Army's domain, he sighs. Reading through the reports he notes that:

Operation Torch began yesterday.

Today naval battles off of Oran and Casablanca saw three French destroyers sunk.

Pete and Sylvia sit having lunch together on a bench under a tree offering some relief from the sun. She asked him what it was like fighting the Japanese.

“It's scary, but mostly boring,” Pete answers. “There's not much I can really say other than the terror of life in battle is hard to describe. Those men fighting the Japanese now trying to retake Darwin are in for a rough time of it. The Japanese don't seem to have any fear. They just keep coming at you.”

“I'm sorry to have made you think of those horrible days,” she says and hugs him.

The boredom is getting to the men of the Palawan. Cookie tries to make things a little better by surprising one of the men with a birthday cake. Everybody sings to him. If it had been nighttime the song would've been skipped as they're afraid to make noise that a cruising sub could hear. Damned war, thinks Cookie.

Cables and notes have been exchanged between Washington and Moscow, but still Stalin demands a second front and won't budge about basing rights in the PTO.

Sandy is overjoyed that a letter came today. She doesn't care that it's old and must've been lost in the shuffle. She devours each and every word and then sits writing a letter to Bill. She pours her heart out and when she's done goes out on the porch to join Dave for a hot cup of coffee and some star gazing.

Todd

(in reply to tocaff)
Post #: 455
RE: Seasick - 9/26/2010 12:53:27 AM   
tocaff

November 10, 1942 Off the California Coast

Intel

1st Reserve Tank Regiment is located at Kitakyushu.
31st Road Construction Battalion is located at Changchun.
1st Parachute Regiment is located at Singapore.
4th Engineer Regiment is located at Darwin.
Radio transmissions detected at Wyndham.
103rd IJA Base Force is located at Hailar.
272430 men are based at Tokyo.
1st Mortar Regiment is located at Sasebo.
Sasebo 1st SNLF is located at Tulagi.
12th AA Regiment is located at Peking.

Recon

F-5A Lightning takes recon photos of Pagan 1 LCU 1140/0/0
Do 24K-2 takes recon photos of Buna nothing detected

Combat

SS S-44 was attacked by 6 IJN DDs near Darwin suffering moderate systems damage and heavy flooding. Her crew is now locked in a desperate battle against the sea for survival.

Derby was attacked again by IJN carrier aircraft with light casualties and moderate damage to the runway being done.

Allied forces at the rail junction suffered moderate loses to the Japanese artillery bombardment while the Japanese had light casualties from the Allied barrage.

Ed studies the papers on his desk and takes special note of the news that:

The American Army took Oran and the British took Sidi Barrani today.

An orderly comes into his office and hands him a note that says:

Today FDR announced the breaking-off of diplomatic relations with Vichy France.

He decides to call it a day and as he is driven home he wonders what the implications will be for the Vichy French as things seem to be going from bad to worse for them. He'll probably know more very soon as lots of meetings have been scheduled for the next few days.

Red and Cookie sit on a cargo hatch watching Lucky chewing on a bone. They've been discussing their business venture and wonder what will happen to it if they remain in these southern waters for long. Rumor has it that they'll be based out of Australia, but Cookie isn't one who pays much attention to rumors.

Sylvia has asked Pete if he'd like to go to her parent's home this coming Sunday for dinner. He said OK to it, but he's very nervous at the prospect. He inwardly laughs at himself for acting like a school boy.

Joe Orsini boards a ship that will take him to Pearl Harbor. He'll then be transported to the 2nd Marine Division. He has to admit that he's excited and scared at the same time. He's never been to sea before and once they sail the inevitable line of men at the ship's rail forms. Joe is one of them as he violently throws up again. It's bad below decks and the smell is getting progressively worse despite the best efforts of the men to keep things clean. Joe feels like he's never felt before and each time he thinks that he's finally settled down the heaves hit again. As he exhaustively sits on the deck a man flops down next to him.

“You seasick too?” asks Orsini.

“Nah,” the man replies, “I get sick at the sight of somebody else throwing up. There's a doctor who's handing out pills that are supposed to help and he's telling everyone to drink lots of water. I think that if those pills could cure us they would've been distributed before we left San Francisco.”

They share a laugh and some conversation when the word that chow is available. The two of them look at each other and laugh some more.

Todd

(in reply to tocaff)
Post #: 456
RE: Armistice Day - 9/26/2010 4:42:22 PM   
tocaff

November 11, 1942 Armistice Day Washington DC

Intel

187713 men are based at Truk.
65th Construction Battalion is located at Kagoshima.
54th Division is located at Okayama.
1st Mortar Regiment is located at Sasebo.
35th Division is planning for an attack on Chungking.
Kwantung Defense Brigade is located at Changchun.
4297 men are based at Sakashima.
North Chishima Fortress is located at Paramushiro Jima.

Recon

SB-2 takes recon photos of Heiho 9 LCUs 71960/859/30
R-12 takes recon photos of Arshaan 2 LCUs 5940/74/0
R-12 takes recon photos of Tsitsihar 6 LCUs 28300/343/14
Pe-2 takes recon photos of Mishan 4 LCUs 0/7/136
SB-2 takes recon photos of Hailar 7 LCUs 40700/331/9
Do 24K-2 takes recon photos of Buna nothing detected
SB-2 takes recon photos of Chiamussu 5 LCUs 22340/264/8
R-12 takes recon photos of Changkufeng 5 LCUs 36220/352/9
F-5A Lightning takes recon photos of Myitkyina 3 LCUs 12760/132/3

Combat

An IJN naval bombardment of Derby caused moderate loses to the troops and light damage to the port.

An air attack on Baker Island by 15 X Betty did no damage and 8 X Betty are claimed to have been damaged.

The bombardments at the rail junction continued with the Allies suffering heavy casualties while the Japanese loses were light.

S-28 reached Cairns and repairs were started immediately. She will make for a repair facility as soon as she's deemed to be seaworthy.

At the meeting in the White House FDR makes a comment about the holiday being a bit strange given the country is locked in a war. Discussion rapidly turns to Operation Grinder and FDR asks his generals, “What can be done to get things unstuck? How strong are the Japanese is Australia? We need to examine what's going on there and fix it. I also want the latest update on Operation Snowball. We need to change the course of the war in the Pacific.”

Ed listens as report after report is given by various officers. Of particular note were the following items out of Europe.

Today German forces began the occupation of Vichy controlled France. Hitler sent a letter to Marshal Petain saying that it is “to protect France” against the Allies.

The United States extended Lend-Lease to the Free French Forces under General de Gaulle.

The German 6th Army launched a final attack to take Stalingrad and reached the Volga River near the Red October factory.

After the presentations ended the President thanked all those who attended and the men began to shuffle out of the room. After they were all gone FDR noticed that Ed remained and he asks, "What can I do for you Ed?”

Ed replies, “Sir, I don't know if you've been made aware of my request to be relieved of my current duties. I want to get back to sea and do what I've been trained for.” There that's done he thinks.

“Ed you're of tremendous value to me here in Washington and I'd consider it a personal favor if you were to remain in your current position. I would be in your debt, and I do return favors, if you catch my meaning. During this mess of Operation Grinder and the final preparations for Snowball I'll be relying upon your insights. Do we have a deal Admiral?”

“Yes sir, we do,” answers a disappointed Ed.

“So what's the schedule for drills today Frank?” asks Bill. The exec handed him a detailed sheet of paper for work parties, GQs drills for surface, anti air and ASW actions. “Good, we wouldn't want the crew to get stale on us.” The O'Bannon is sailing for home and her next assignment.

Pete says to Sylvia, “Maybe meeting your folks isn't such a great idea. For starters I have nothing decent to wear and as you've seen the shops don't have much of anything to offer.”

“Pete, you look to be about the same size as my brother was so I'll bring something for you to try on tomorrow. Stop making excuses and be brave.” Sylvia gives him a peck on the cheek and they head back towards the medical facility.

“You said your brother was, as in the past,” says Pete.

“He was killed fighting in North Africa almost a year ago. My parents haven't really gotten over it yet,” she adds.

Canton Island has so much fuel in it's new storage facilities that the entire USN couldn't easily dent the stocks. Plenty of supplies are in place also. Support vessels are sailing for Canton and the warships will be heading that way too, in due time.

Todd

(in reply to tocaff)
Post #: 457
RE: A Toast - 9/28/2010 2:50:02 PM   
tocaff

November 12, 1942 Washington DC

Intel

Osaka Base Force is located at Osaka/Kobe.
Hensui Construction Battalion is located at Sasebo.
35th Construction Battalion is located at Tsitsihar.
6737 men are based at Iwo Jima.
12th Construction Battalion is located at Batan Island.
Hoyo Fortress is located at Osumi.
14th Mortar Battalion is loaded on AP Nachisan Maru moving to Darwin.
15th Construction Battalion is located at Tawi Tawi.
124th IJN Base Force is located at Nanning.

Recon

Do 24K-2 takes recon photos of Salamaua 1 LCU

Combat

Derby was hit again by Japanese carrier aircraft. There were no casualties and the damage to the airbase was light. There were no loses to Japanese aircraft.

Japanese air attacks on Allied troops at the rail junction resulted in light casualties. 4 X Betty and 8 X Helen were reported as damaged in the attacks. The artillery bombardments caused light loses to the Allies and none for the Japanese.

Ed wonders how long Franklin will keep him dangling. He almost wishes that his insights had been a little less accurate. He reads the reports on his desk and sees that:

The British 8th Army took Sollum and Bardi today. The Afrika Korps is in retreat to Tripoli.

At least there is good news somewhere in this global mess.

Ships are being rotated to yards for upgrades while the USN shifts it's main strength from the SWPAC to CENPAC in anticipation of Snowball.

A secret agreement has been struck between Washington and Moscow concerning US basing rights. In the spring it is hoped that US troops will be shifted to Soviet bases and then the USAAC's 4E bombers can start to hit the Japanese in their own backyard. The only problem is that the big birds are needed everywhere and there just aren't enough of them to go around.

Bill pens a letter to Sandy telling her how lonely he is and how much he misses her.

Sandy writes a letter to Bill telling him that she's sitting under a tree where they went together looking over a beautiful, but cold landscape. She misses him and says so.

Phil and the other officers of Benham have dragged their skipper out for a dinner at a nice restaurant. They figure that soon enough they'll be at sea and a good meal will be a treat. Phil makes a toast to the Benham and it's crew, “May she serve us well and bring us home safely.”

Orsini is no longer suffering from the motion sickness and feels bad for those that still do. He hopes that he never goes through that again. The ship plods along towards Pearl Harbor and his joining his unit which will become his new family.

Todd

(in reply to tocaff)
Post #: 458
RE: Prayers - 9/30/2010 1:09:00 AM   
tocaff

November 13, 1942 Washington DC

Intel

18857 men are based at Shikka.
Yosu Fortress is located at Masan.
3rd Air Army is located at Singapore.
3rd Air Division is located at Rangoon.
100429 men are based at Heiho.
169 aircraft are based at Mukden.
4986 men are based at Songkhia.
2nd Fleet is located at Balikpapan.
6th Reserve Tank Regiment is located at Osaka/Kobe.
28887 men are based at Harbin.

Recon

SB-2 takes recon photos of Heiho 9 LCUs 71380/819/32
SB-2 takes recon photos of Chiamussu 5 LCUs 27380/256/5
Pe-2 takes recon photos of Mutanchiang 8 LCUs 24080/296/153
R-12 takes recon photos of Hailar 7 LCUs 41840/313/6
F-5A Lightning takes recon photos of Lashio 2 LCUs 4460/13/0
R-12 takes recon photos of Tabun-Nur 1 LCU 580/9/0
PBY Catalina takes recon photos of Tarawa 3 LCUs 11280/50/0

Combat

Japanese escort vessels discovered a minefield at Darwin.

The submarine Argonaut was attacked by 4 X MSW near Kwajalein after dropping her cargo of mines, but suffered no damage.

Derby is again bombed by carrier aircraft, which caused light damage to the base facilities and moderate damage to the unused runway.

The usual Japanese bombardment attack at the rail junction caused light Allied casualties and the Allied reply doesn't even scratch a fly.

“Well that'll make them a bit more than happy,” says Ed in reference to the fact that the British took Tobruk today. Bill Donovan looks across the table and just smiles. The two men haven't had a chance to touch base lately and when Donovan called Ed jumped at the chance to get together. The meetings have been never ending in the Pentagon. What can we do about Operation Grinder being stalled? Can Operation Snowball function without this or that? Now a new operation is in the works named Revenge. Ed is sick and tired of fighting a paper war with men who wouldn't know the business end of a weapon if you explained it to them.

“You with me Ed?” asks Donovan.

Orsini is avoiding the gambling going on and passes his time exercising on deck and star gazing at night. He's never been so bored before and is so glad that he's a Marine and not a sailor.

“So what's up next for the Benham?” asks Phil. The answer isn't one at all as his skipper doesn't have any idea at all concerning their future.

Two days to go and Pete is getting more nervous all of the time. “Why is this happening to me,” he wonders aloud. The man sitting on the bench near him says, “What?” Pete ignores him and he can't stop thinking things like what if he doesn't make a good impression or if his table manners aren't up to snuff. “Oh to hell with this,” he says as he gets up and goes looking for a card game to occupy his time.

Sandy has spent the day planning for Thanksgiving. Dave's sister is going to try and visit them, but travel is difficult because of the war. She wishes Bill would be here, but more than that she's been praying that he's safe.

Attachment (1)

Todd

(in reply to tocaff)
Post #: 459
RE: Takes One to Know One - 10/1/2010 1:04:06 AM   
tocaff

November 14, 1942 The Pentagon

Intel

Tsushima Fortress is located at Masan.
18th Reserve Coastal Artillery Regiment is located at Toyama.
41st AA Regiment is located at Changchun.
15th Mortar Battalion is located at Rabaul.
17th Mixed/A Brigade is located at Shanghai.
1st AA Regiment is located at Tokyo.
2nd Reserve AA Regiment is located at Tokyo.
Karafuto Mixed Brigade is located at Shikka.
5192 men are based at Wonsan.
40th Construction Battalion is located at Changchun.

Recon

SB-2 takes recon photos of Heiho 9 LCUs 49800/599/24
SB-2 takes recon photos of Chiamussu 6 LCUs 25280/284/67
Pe-2 takes recon photos of Mutanchiang 36 fighters, 10 bombers, 30 aux, 8 LCUs 23920/323/126
R-12 takes recon photos of Changkufeng 5 LCUs 35800/357/5
R-12 takes recon photos of Hailar 7 LCUs 41320/317/8
F-5A Lightning takes recon photos of Lashio 2 LCUs 6680/30/0
PBY Catalina takes recon photos of Tarawa 4 LCUs 20580/88/0

Combat

4 X MSW at Kwajalein are sweeping a minefield.

91 X B-24D raided Lunga and were challenged by 35 X Zero. The heavy bombers kept a tight formation and fought their way through the fighters, downing 5 of them and claiming another 15 as damaged while 11 of the Liberators were shot down and 55 were damaged. Very light damage was done to the base.

The IJN conducted another air raid on Derby, suffering no loses and doing moderate damage to the runway and base facilities.

The Japanese planes continued to harass Allied ground troops at the rail junction, causing light loses and 6 X Helen were seen to be smoking as they departed. The two sides continued to shell each other and both sides suffered moderate loses.

A convoy is loading additional troops for Operation Snowball. This op is the long debated invasion of Tarawa. Though the island looks well defended it has been decided that this is as good a place as any to try and crack the outer shell of the Japanese defenses.

As the defenses of the Aleutian Islands continue to be built up Washington proceeds to work on the Soviets for permission to use their bases for the northern approach to Japan. If Stalin relents and gives an OK then assets that are in place will be reinforced so that Operation Sunshine may proceed.

“One more day and it will all be over. Pete you are being silly, they will love you.” With that Sylvia sits down next to Pete who remains silent as he tries to calm himself down. Why should he be so nervous? In this war he's been in a life raft and combat, but facing Sylvia's parents tomorrow scares the crap out of him.

Another boring day aboard a ship taking him to Hawaii. They had a lifeboat drill today and from the looks of things it was a waste of time. Orsini figures that if the ship he's on gets attacked jumping into the water would be safer than what he witnessed in today's drill. Boredom and loneliness have been eased a bit as he writes letters to home.

Ed wonders how so much paper can be wasted on so many valueless reports given by so many staffers who will never see anything outside of Washington DC, unless they're on leave. The major drones on about various statistics concerning Operation Grinder when a voice from the back of the room interrupts.

“What happened is they ran into some tough Japanese units and have been stopped cold. Grinder was always doomed to fail unless you consider it's purpose was to tie down a large IJA force. Until we can use our LBA on Wyndham and beef up a force to attack Darwin this crap will go on for months.”

The officer doesn't say another word and the red faced major clears his throat and resumes the report his superior ordered him to give. Ed thinks that at least somebody else in the room has the guts to speak his mind. He gets up and walks to the back of the room and asks who spoke out. When a general smiles and indicates that it was him Ed says that he'd like to buy him lunch. With that they leave the meeting comforted by the fact that if anything important is mentioned one of their staff will let them know.

< Message edited by tocaff -- 10/1/2010 1:05:31 AM >

Todd

(in reply to tocaff)
Post #: 460
RE: The Visit - 10/2/2010 6:14:45 PM   
tocaff

November 15, 1942 Brisbane

Intel

17th Army is located at Tulagi.
3572 men are based at Nagoya.
35th Brigade is located at Rangoon.
2nd Construction Battalion is planning for an attack on Chungking.
22nd Engineer Regiment is located at Mishan.
4982 men are based at Songkhia.
10th Aviation Rgt is located at Changchun.
Southern Area Army is located at Singapore.
217064 men are based at Ominato.
86947 men are based at Camranh Bay.
50th Construction Battalion is located at Kyoto.
Ominato Base Force is located at Ominato.

Combat

Three Japanese MSWs located a mine field at Goodenough Island and began sweeping ops.

The IJN DD Isokaze encountered mine field at Fergusson Island and three MSWs arrived there to sweep it.

38 X B-24D attacked Lunga and were greeted by 28 X Zero. A single Zero was destroyed and 10 others suffered damage while 5 X B-24D were downed and an additional 13 were damaged. The bombers did little to the base.

The IJN staged yet another raid on Derby doing light damage to the runway. All of the planes retired safely.

Air raids on Allied troops continued at the rail junction, causing very light casualties. The Allied artillery caused light casualties among the IJA troops there and the Japanese gunners didn't respond.

Pete arrived at Sylvia's parent's home right on time and after a little hesitation knocked on the door. A gentleman answered the door and greeted him. “Hello, you must be Peter. I'm Milton, Syl's dad, but you can call me Milt if I can call you Pete as she says. Welcome to our home.” As Pete enters a woman appears and Milt introduces them, “This is my wife Jaclyn, Jac to us. Jac, this is Pete.”

The woman is an older Sylvia. Pete stammers, “Hello, thanks for inviting me to your home.”

A voice comes from somewhere in the house, “Is that Pete?” Sylvia appears and is wearing a huge smile. She gives Pete a hug and kiss and asks if anybody would like to sit in the garden. They all move outside and chat for a while. Milt takes Pete aside and asks if he'd like a drink to which Pete says, “please.”

The two men sit in a corner of the garden sipping on their whiskey and Milt talks of the war and losing a son. Pete's mind wanders off for a bit wondering how many families have made the sacrifices called on by their countries.

A little later the four of them move inside to eat their meal. Jac announces that, “Syl and I whipped this up and we hope that you'll like it Pete.” They eat and Pete's surprised at how much food there is and how good it is. After they're done eating the men move to the living room while the women clean up. After a while Sylvia and her mother join them.

“I'd like to thank you for a wonderful meal. I'd forgotten what a good home cooked meal is like. I have to admit that I was more than a little afraid to meet the two of you and now feel stupid for feeling that way. You've made me welcome in your home and I feel very comfortable here with you. You have no idea how good this day is making me feel.” When Pete does leave it's with being told to return whenever he'd like as he'll always be welcome in their home. What a great day he thinks as he walks back to the facility that's his home.

Preparations for Operation Snowball continue and warships are gathering at Pearl Harbor.

Todd

(in reply to tocaff)
Post #: 461
RE: Stress Relief - 10/3/2010 11:00:52 PM   
tocaff

November 16, 1942 Washington DC

Intel

17th Army is located at Tulagi.
3572 men are based at Nagoya.
35th Brigade is located at Rangoon.
2nd Construction Battalion is planning for an attack on Chungking.
22nd Engineer Regiment is located at Mishan.
4982 men are based at Songkhia.
10th Aviation Rgt is located at Changchun.
Elements of the 10th Ind. Brigade are located 38 miles NE of Yenen.
Southern Area Army is located at Singapore.
217064 men are based at Ominato.
86947 men are based at Camranh Bay.
50th Construction Battalion is located at Kyoto.
Ominato Base Force is located at Ominato.

Recon

F-5A Lightning takes recon photos of Rangoon 34 fighters, 82 bombers, 114 aux, 2 X CV, 1 X CVE, 3 X CA, 1 X CL, 1 X DD, 3 X APD, 1 X DE, 1 X MSW, 4 X AK, 18 LCUs 22280/226/61
PBY Catalina takes recon photos of Tarawa 4 LCUs 28280/126/0

Combat

Three Japanese MSWs located a mine field at Goodenough Island and began sweeping ops.

An IJN DD encountered mine field at Fergusson Island and three MSWs arrived to sweep it.

38 X B-24D attacked Lunga and were greeted by 28 X Zero. A single Zero was destroyed and 10 others suffered damage while 5 X B-24D were downed and an additional 13 were damaged. The bombers did little damage to the base. The Japanese are getting tougher to deal with on these raids.

The IJN staged yet another raid on Derby doing light damage to the runway. All of the planes retired safely.

Air raids on Allied troops continued at the rail junction, causing very light casualties. The Allied artillery caused light casualties among the IJA troops there and the Japanese gunners didn't respond.

An Allied Bombardment attack at the cross roads between Chungking and Sian caused light Japanese loses. The Japanese force has been reported as a weak one so orders are issued to assault the Japanese positions tomorrow.

“G-day lover boy. How was the visit with the folks?” The men sitting at the table eating breakfast have a laugh as Pete approaches them.

He sits down and with a grin on his face says, “Nice people, very nice. I had a great time and had a wonderful meal, not like eating here at all. As a matter of fact all I can say to you guys is to eat your hearts out.” All of them start chatting about many varied subjects and what they can do today to kill the time.

Sandy and Dave sit listening to the radio and the war news. There is little good to report in the war against the Japanese and nothing in particular concerning the Navy.

FDR has again pressed his people about the Soviets and basing rights. “If we keep at them, like they do us and that second front, eventually they'll cave in and we'll be in business. Even if it doesn't open a back door to Japan it'll draw off their strength from other places and make our job easier.”

At the end of the day a tired Ed heads home. He tells his driver to let him out and the car comes to a stop many blocks away from it's destination. Ed thanks the driver and tells him that he'll walk from here. The weather is brisk and the walk helps relieve the day's tensions. Upon arriving at his apartment he makes a drink and relaxes, sitting in the dark. Three hours later he wakes up and goes to bed.

Todd

(in reply to tocaff)
Post #: 462
RE: Stress Relief - 10/5/2010 2:01:09 AM   
tocaff

November 17, 1942 The White House

Intel

13th Ind. Brigade is located 57 miles NW of Kaifeng.
4th Mixed Brigade is located at Mandalay.
17th Hvy Field Artillery Regiment is located at Port Moresby.
52nd Construction Battalion is located at Changchun.
44th Road Construction Battalion is located at Lunga.
18th Aviation Rgt is located at Mandalay.
6887 men are based at Inch'on.
1790 men are based at Fushan.
Chinkai Base Force is located at Masan.
Kaosing Fortress is located at Takao.
7th Construction Battalion is located 49 miles E of Chungking.
4th Construction Battalion is located at Mukden.
6th Reserve AA Regiment is located at Wonsan.

Recon

Pe-2 takes recon photos of Fushan 1 LCU 920/7/0
R-12 takes recon photos of Linhsi nothing detected
F-5A Lightning takes recon photos of Rangoon 36 fighters, 61 bombers, 112 aux, 1 CV, 1 BB, 5 CA, 6 DD, 5 APD, 1 SS, 2 MSW, 4 PT, 3 AK, 1 AP and 20 LCUs.

Combat

The submarine Triton, which was 312 miles NW of New Caledonia, spotted a lone Betty. The plane is obviously on a patrol and the lookouts shout the alarm and orders to dive the boat are given. The plane saw the sub as the last of the men to slide down the ladder shouted that the aircraft is approaching for an attack. The bomber missed and Triton continued her journey back to Noumea unscathed.

IJN MSWs continued to sweep the mines at Fergusson Island

The Japanese swept Kunming with 35 X Tojo and the Chinese CAP of 1 X I-153c and 6 X I-16c gave battle. The Japanese swept the opposition aside as all but 2 X I-16c were downed.

The IJN's naval air arm continued to hammer Derby inflicting light casualties among the Australian troops and moderate damage to the runway.

At the rail junction Japanese planes continued to appear in small numbers to attack the ground troops. Allied loses were light and the occasional Japanese plane was damaged by ground fire. AA units are on the way, but distances are great and it's unknown when they'll arrive.

Ground combat at the road junction between Chungking and Sian saw the Chinese attack with 30K troops. They forced the 3.4K Japanese defenders of the 16th Naval Guard Unit to retreat towards Ichang. Casualties for the Chinese were reported to have been moderate and the Japanese were purported to have sustained moderate casualties also. Though the defeated Japanese units retreated, they did so in good order, something the Chinese need to learn to do.

The White House meeting has broken up and Operation Snowball has the final go ahead. Although there is no definite date for the assault yet the forces have been allocated. It will be made up of the following:

Assault
3 Infantry Divisions
2 Regimental Combat Teams
2 Engineer Regiments
Follow On
1 Marine Defense Battalion
1 Army Field AA Battalion
2 Engineer Aviation Battalions
5 Naval Construction Battalions
2 USAAF Base Forces
1 USN Base Force
1 MAW Aviation Regiment

The USN will supply all of the transports and freighters needed along with combat task forces to soften up the defenders and to cover the landings.

It is hoped that once Tarawa falls that with the outer shell broken softer targets can be found and LBA can cut off other island bases.

S-28 sits alongside a pier being worked on as she's still plagued by leaks. Until she no longer is taking on water Cairns will be home and then Sydney or Melbourne will finish the work.

Sylvia has lunch with Pete and the two of them silently stare into each other's eyes and smile. Somebody at another table nods towards them and remarks to his lunch mates that it appears to be true love and that they aren't missing anything by not eating as the food would be better if it were tasteless.

Ed arrived in his office later than usual as he enjoyed a long, hot shower this morning. He's more relaxed than he's been for a while, though still not happy with being tied to a desk. An aide briefs him on the meeting that morning at the White House and then it's time for lunch, after which Ed has a couple of meetings to attend.

A letter for Sandy from Bill arrived today. It took forever and a day to get here, she thinks, but she's overjoyed to have it.

Victory Points Japanese 17708 Allied 6263

Todd

(in reply to tocaff)
Post #: 463
RE: Pirates Found - 10/5/2010 11:01:23 PM   
tocaff

November 18, 1942 Hawaii

Intel

3rd Air Army is located at Singapore.
Kainan Guard SNLF is located at Canton.
17th Construction Battalion is located at Mutanchiang.
4580 men are based at Toyama.
Amami Oshima Fortress is located at Amami.
2nd Army is located at Truk.
187692 men are based at Truk.
Funauke Fortress is located at Sakashima.
Chinkai Base Force is located at Masan.
23rd Tank Regiment is located at Chiamussu.
18th Army is located at Tokyo.
Tsugaru Fortress is located at Aomori.

Recon

SB-2 takes recon photos of Heiho 9 LCUs 72340/840/19
R-12 takes recon photos of Linhsi nothing detected
SB-2 takes recon photos of Chiamussu 6 LCUs 26920/299/168
Pe-2 takes recon photos of Mutanchiang 8 LCUs 27060/349/169
R-12 takes recon photos of Changkufeng 5 LCUs 34880/360/3
R-12 takes recon photos of Hailar 7 LCUs 43660/337/6
Pe-2 takes recon photos of Fushan 1 LCU 1360/11/0

Combat

Three IJN MSWs were reported to be sweeping the mine field at Goodenough Island

The Japanese conducted a raid on Kunming with 35 X Tojo and the Chinese threw 6 X I-153c at them. One Chinese pilot brought his plane home and in the debriefing he claimed to have seen a Tojo go down. The debriefers gave him credit for the kill, but he refuses it saying it was somebody else who brought it down.

44 X B-24D conducted a raid on Lunga and the Japanese had 21 X Zero tear into them. Japanese aircraft losses were reported to be 2 X Zero destroyed and 10 more damaged while the Americans lost 6 bombers and another 16 were shot up. The damage to the airbase was reported to be light.

Ed attended more meetings and he doubts if his voiced opinions have made him any new friends today. He doesn't care as he just wants to escape from this desk work.

Sandy took Dave to the doctor today so that his hand could be looked at. The real reason was that they both wanted to get into town, Dave to buy some parts if possible and Sandy as a diversion. When they met later in the afternoon they decide to go and have a Coke at the ice cream parlor. It's been good for both of them to have broken the routine.

Pete and Sylvia took a walk after lunch and they talked about things. Well actually Pete listened as she went on about her hopes for the future. When she was done Pete asked if she wasn't concerned about her own future, not just about the war. Sylvia said that she was, but they had agreed to take things slowly.

The Pirates, Will, Jim and Ben are currently working for Bill Donovan's outfit. They're stationed in Scotland and are flying covert missions.

Gunny is still waiting for the promised replacements and his platoon suffered another casualty today. He knows that the 2nd Marines will be in action soon, but he'd like to have a little time with the replacements before that happens. He's happy with the morale of the men and has turned a blind eye where the still is concerned.

Joe Orsini's ship continues on it's journey and Joe sits on the deck snoozing away the late afternoon.

Victory Points Japanese 17724 Allied 6272

Todd

(in reply to tocaff)
Post #: 464
RE: The News and a Meal - 10/7/2010 1:58:54 AM   
tocaff

November 19, 1942 Georgetown

Intel

2494 men are based at Kyoto.
31st AA Regiment is located at Sapporo.
53rd Heavy AA Battalion is located at Mutanchiang.
9915 men are based at Marcus Island.
Sanya Base Force is located at Taan.
101st IJA Base Force is located at Gumma.
5th Air Division is located at Rangoon.
49th Construction Battalion is located at Hailar.
21st Division is planning for an attack on Chungking.
Elements of the 32nd Division are located at Homan.
4th Tank Regiment is located at Port Moresby.

Recon

No reports today due to weather and other reasons.

Combat

It was an unusually quiet day on all fronts with only a small air raid on Chinese troops at the road junction between Chungking and Sian. Casualties were reported as very light and the planes left untouched.

Convoys continue to distribute troops in preparation for Operation Snowball and possible follow up ops.

Ed and Bill Donovan sit eating diner together in Georgetown when Donovan slides a piece of paper across the table that he took from his briefcase. Ed looks at him and picks it up to read it.

Today the Red Army started it's winter offensive with pincer movements around Stalingrad. The exposed rear flanks of the Germans were held by Romanians and were overrun and scattered.

The Russians also announced gains in the Caucasus.

Two RAF Horsa gliders crashed in Norway carrying 34 commandos en route to Telemark. The survivors were captured by the Germans, questioned, tortured and shot even though they were in uniform.

“Did I ever mention to you that the Brits hung a merchant seaman at the beginning of this month for giving information to the Germans?” asks Donovan.

Ed shakes his head and says, “No, you didn't. Why can't you get intel like this about the Japanese? It would sure help us in the PTO.”

Sandy is feeling chipper today and she's singing while preparing breakfast. Dave appears, smiling, and mentions that he's glad to see her in such good spirits.

“Dad, I know that I can't see Bill and I've got to continue my life without him until he returns. If he asks me I'm going to spend the rest of my life with him. Until then I'll just have to accept the way things are and be content to have you around.” With that off her chest she fills his plate with eggs and toast and then pours him a hot cup of coffee.

Another boring day on the troop transport for Orsini. He left boot camp in the best shape of his life and now he's struggling to maintain that conditioning. He joins some other Marines and jogs around the ship, some do it just to kill the time. Joe does miss his mother's cooking already and thinks that he'll write to her later after his PT session is over.

Cookie is talking with Red about buying land at other locations outside of Hawaii and Red agrees as he throws the ball again for Lucky.

Elaine has gone to Washington DC and she plans on seeing Bill and some friends of hers.

Todd

(in reply to tocaff)
Post #: 465
RE: Bouncing Bombs in Rangoon - 10/7/2010 6:34:56 PM   
tocaff

November 20, 1942 Washington DC

Intel

107th IJN Base Force is located at Aomori.
Elements of the 33rd Division are located at Mandalay.
Hoyo Fortress is located at Osumi.
16th Division is located at Tulagi.
13th Army is planning for an attack on Chungking.
15th AA Regiment is located at Nagoya.
12th Naval Construction Battalion is located at Osaka/Kobe.
52nd Heavy AA Battalion is located at Harbin.
2nd Hvy Gun Regiment is located at Tsitsihar.
8901 men are based at Mukden.

Recon

F-5A Lightning takes recon photos of Rangoon 1 X BB, 4 X CA, 4 X DD, 4 X PT, 3 X APD, 3 X AP, 4 X AK, 84 fighters, 115 bombers, 203 aux, 20 LCUs
PB2Y Coronado takes recon photos of Lunga 12 LCUs 15780/197/0

Combat

34 X Tojo conducted a sweep on Kunming, but there were no Chinese planes in the air.

The Allied forces conducted their largest air operation to date in the SE Asia Theater. An air raid on Rangoon by 12 X Wellington, 26 X Hudson, 64 X B-25C and 7 X F-5A was preceded by a fighter sweep of 24 X P-38G. The Japanese threw 4 X Rufe, 26 X Zero, and 7 X Tony at the intruders. After the debriefing of the pilots was completed it appeared that 2 X Rufe, 3 X Zero and 2 X Tony were downed while another 12 X Zero and 2 X Tony were damaged. There were light Japanese loses on the ground and light damage to Rangoon's port, but the BBs Hyuga and Nagato suffered multiple hits and were on fire while the BB Hiei was hit once. The cost was 6 X P-38G, 3 X Wellington, 2 X Hudson and 4 X B-25C lost and an additional 6 X Wellington, 5 X Hudson and 19 X B-25C were damaged. It had been hoped that some bombs would find a wounded IJN CV. If nothing else this raid has served notice on the Japanese that the Allies now have some punch too. Will the Japanese respond with a large sweep of Imphal and can it be dealt with?

In the late morning 151 X B-17E appeared over Port Moresby and were intercepted by 62 X Zero and 17 X Tony. The big bombers fought their way through the fighters and dumped their loads on the airbase causing light loses to ground personnel, and light damage to the base itself. 31 X B-17E were lost and 89 were damaged while the Japanese lost 19 X Zero, 30 more were damaged and 16 X Tony were damaged. A loss rate this high is not sustainable and the results for such a large effort were very disappointing.

There were a couple of small air raids on Chinese troops where the loses were very light.

Stalin is very angry about the large numbers of Japanese troops along the border between Changkufeng and Mutanchiang. He orders that a cable be worded for his review concerning this.

Ed opens a pouch marked Top Secret and pulls out the papers in it. The top one is from Bill Donovan and is made up of only two lines.

Hitler gave up command of Army Group A today, Kleist is now commander.

The British 8th Army is now in Benghazi.

He thinks that if he ever escapes the Pentagon this pipeline of news being severed would be the only bad thing about it.

Bill sits in his cabin and writes a letter to Sandy. He misses their walks together and asks if she is still doing it now that winter is setting in. He smiles and thinks that it couldn't possibly be as bad as the Alaskan waters at this time of year.

Lucky had a close call today. He almost slid overboard as he chased a ball thrown by Red. Red makes a mental note to pay more attention to their play and toss the ball a little less energetically.

FDR has been dining with Frank Knox and Ed's name came up. FDR isn't happy at the prospect of losing a sharp mind with a mouth that isn't afraid to say what he deems is right. Knox sighs, agrees and says, “If he gets unhappy enough we could lose a valuable asset. Maybe we should consider his request.” Roosevelt concurs and they turn to other things.

Victory Points Japanese 17785 Allied 6315

Todd

(in reply to tocaff)
Post #: 466
RE: Bouncing Bombs in Rangoon - 10/7/2010 8:16:55 PM   
Capt. Harlock

quote:

The Allied forces conducted their largest air operation to date in the SE Asia Theater. An air raid on Rangoon by 12 X Wellington, 26 X Hudson, 64 X B-25C and 7 X F-5A was preceded by a fighter sweep of 24 X P-38G. The Japanese threw 4 X Rufe, 26 X Zero, and 7 X Tony at the intruders. After the debriefing of the pilots was completed it appeared that 2 X Rufe, 3 X Zero and 2 X Tony were downed while another 12 X Zero and 2 X Tony were damaged. There were light Japanese loses on the ground and light damage to Rangoon's port, but the BBs Hyuga and Nagato suffered multiple hits and were on fire while the BB Hiei was hit once. The cost was 6 X P-38G, 3 X Wellington, 2 X Hudson and 4 X B-25C lost and an additional 6 X Wellington, 5 X Hudson and 19 X B-25C were damaged.

Impressive that you managed to get a squadron of P-38's into the India theater. Do you have any Spitfires to defend against the counter-strike?

Civil war? What does that mean? Is there any foreign war? Isn't every war fought between men, between brothers?

--Victor Hugo

(in reply to tocaff)
Post #: 467
RE: Bouncing Bombs in Rangoon - 10/7/2010 9:46:15 PM   
tocaff

Certainly do.  

Todd

Post #: 468
RE: Am I a Spy? - 10/8/2010 7:06:53 PM   
tocaff

November 21, 1942 Washington DC

Intel

2nd Division is planning for an attack on Madras.
17th Aviation Rgt is located at Ichang.
135th IJA Base Force is located at Wotje.
122 aircraft are based at Changchun.
138th IJN Base Force is loaded on AP,Teiryu Maru moving to Darwin.
5312 men are based at Nagasaki.
65th Construction Battalion is located at Kagoshima.
Burma Area Army is located at Rangoon.
Radio transmissions detected at Vancouver.

Recon

F-5A Lightning takes recon photos of Pagan 1 LCU 620/0/0

Combat

Another raid on Port Moresby was made by 84 X B-17E and was met by 39 X Zero and 9 X Tony. 6 Flying Fortresses were downed and another 38 were damaged while the Japanese lost 4 X Zero and had 9 X Zero and 3 X Tony were damaged. The results were similar to yesterday's attack as to the damage done to the air filed.

13 X Helen made an attack on the 24th USA Division at the rail junction and 1 was downed while 4 others were damaged by ground fire. Casualties were light and morale remains high among the troops despite the constant air raids.

The Tarpon loads mines and will depart Brisbane to drop her cargo in the Darwin area.

“The unit being moved to Darwin will see USN and Dutch subs trying for an intercept. The radio transmissions from the Vancouver area are a concern as it's obvious that somebody is trying to keep an eye on our shipping. The news of the 2nd Division prepping for Madras is a major concern as the RN was beat up pretty badly and it'll be some time before it's back up to strength. We can only hope that the British have taken this intel seriously and will prepare.” Ed hangs up the phone and rubs his temples while he wonders how so many idiots ever managed to reach positions of power. The reports from Africa and Europe made mention of:

The German 6th Army's situation in Stalingrad is crumbling and it's also hurt by the relocation of it's HQs.

British infantry, armor and a Corps HQs are being sent to Madras and additional air support units will probably be diverted to there also. If the Japanese do try a move against India's coast it'll have a fight on it's hands as the RN is poised and air units await.

Stalin has sent a cable to the Japanese government protesting the military strength along the border from Changkufeng to Mutanchiang. He claims that over 20 units there can only be viewed as offensive in nature and therefore should be pulled back from the border if peace is to continue between the Soviet Union and the Empire of Japan. Advisers have mentioned to him that if they keep pushing the Japanese are likely to start shooting. Stalin has these men removed from their posts and orders them replaced “with men of stout hearts.”

Pete had lunch with Sylvia and her parents today and had a great time. After they were done eating Milt took him aside and they had a drink and chatted about what the future might bring.

Elaine is talking with a friend and is complaining that the Navy tells her that it doesn't pass out information as to where individuals are for security reasons. “Can you imagine? What do they think I am, A Jap spy? I suppose I'll just head back to Pittsburgh tomorrow if I can get a seat on a train,” she says.

Todd

(in reply to tocaff)
Post #: 469
RE: Am I a Spy? - 10/9/2010 5:18:39 PM   
tocaff

November 22, 1942 Moscow

Intel

6649 men are based at Saigon.
68th Construction Battalion is located at Hamamatsu.
6165 men are based at Taipei.
110 aircraft are based at Mutanchiang.
3986 men are based at Osumi.
1st Reserve Tank Regiment is located at Kitakyushu.
22nd AA Regiment is located at Kitakyushu.
Rashin Base Force is located at Changkufeng.
106th IJN Base Force is located at Sakashima.

Recon

SB-2 takes recon photos of Chiamussu 6 LCUs 24440/269/6
R-12 takes recon photos of Changkufeng 5 LCUs 35420/354/6
SB-2 takes recon photos of Hailar 7 LCUs 40840/311/10
Pe-2 takes recon photos of Fushan 1 LCU 1700/15/0
R-12 takes recon photos of Arshaan 2 LCUs 3560/48/0
Pe-2 takes recon photos of Mutanchiang 8 LCUs 29080/332/188
F-5A Lightning takes recon photos of Myitkyina 3 LCUs 22160/244/9

Combat

34 X Tojo swept Kunming, but met no opposition. They circled lazily for 20 minutes with Chinese troops watching them and then the Japanese planes headed for home.

There were a couple of small ground attacks conducted by Japanese planes on Chinese troops, but they resulted in very light loses.

The Japanese government responded promptly to Stalin's demand and they have agreed to pull troops back in order to keep the peace. Stalin, upon seeing this cable, says, “You see the Japanese are afraid of us. Once the Germans are dealt with we will turn our attentions to the east. The British and Americans will welcome our help against Japan and we can reclaim territories that were stolen from us when the Czarist fools ineptly lost them years ago.” An aide picks this moment to hand Stalin a note as he's in good spirits. The note reads:

The German 4th and 6th Panzer Armies, about 300K soldiers, have been encircled.

Stalin's grin grows even larger and he calls for all in the room to join him in a toast. “To the death of the Nazis,” he says as he downs his vodka in a single gulp.

S-44 will make it to Cairns despite her flooding. Repairs will start immediately upon her arrival and work gangs are scheduled to commence their labors on her in a few days.

S-23, having refueled at Brisbane, will now make for the repair yards at Sydney.

Australia's PM J J Curtin has been calling for a redoubling of the Allied efforts to rid his country of the Japanese invaders. FDR, who once thought Curtin traitorous for demanding that the British release the Aussie troops for the defense of their homes now admires the man's strong leadership and for putting the safety of his country first. Still nothing short of additional troops will break the stalemate that Operation Grinder looks to have become.

Elaine can't get a place on a train until tomorrow and she has no place to spend the night. Union Station's benches look to be a horrible last resort as there are no hotel rooms available.

Victory Points Japan 17806 Allies 6335

Todd

(in reply to tocaff)
Post #: 470
RE: The Train - 10/10/2010 4:00:27 PM   
tocaff

November 23, 1942 Washington DC

Intel

1841 men are based at Woleai.
41st AA Regiment is located at Changchun.
4th Aviation Rgt is located at Nanning.
6035 men are based at Arshaan.
162 ships are based at Tokyo.
1st Guards Mixed Brigade is located at Tokyo.
51st Construction Battalion is located at Changchun.
18th Hvy Field Artillery Regiment is located at Mandalay.
3rd Fleet is located at Koepang.
1790 men are based at Fushan.
14th Field Artillery Regiment is located at Changsha.
4th AF Construction Battalion is located at Medan.
250227 men are based at Takao.

Recon

F-5A Lightning takes recon photos of Myitkyina 3 LCUs 34640/302/11

Combat

Three IJN MSWs encountered a mine field at Darwin and commenced sweeping it immediately.

The Dutch submarine KXVIII was attacked 47 miles from Darwin by IJN PCs suffering light systems damage, but she's taking on an alarming amount of water.

The SS S-18 spotted a Japanese convoy approximately 79 miles from Darwin and attacked it only to miss.

32 X Tony conducted a sweep on the Sian area and were met by 20 X I-16c. In the ensuing battle 3 of the intruders were downed at the cost of 10 Chinese planes.

The Sparrow Force Battalion was attacked by 11 X Zero, 6 X Betty and 37 X Helen. Loses suffered by the troops were moderate and the Japanese lost a Helen and 5 others were reported as damaged. The report didn't give the unit's location at the time of the attack.

S-28 is now deemed seaworthy and she has orders to depart Cairns and make for the repair yards at Sydney where she will join the other vessels being repaired and refit.

Ed reads that:

The Afrika Korps is in El Agheila

The Russians claimed that 24K POWs have been taken since the start of their offensive.

This second item is certainly good news as the Germans seem to be in retreat where they're engaged in combat. Now, he thinks, if Grinder could only get going again. Actually to say Grinder has been a failure is unfair because Broome and Derby have been retaken and the Japanese are blocked from any further advances. Operation Snowball will be the thing that sets the PTO onto a different track.

Stalin is in a good mood again today as the news from Stalingrad is all acceptable to him. He prods his commanders to make a finish to the German forces there.

FDR makes a couple of phone calls and asks about possible assignments that are available for Admiral Landy. There aren't any combat commands open at the moment so things will remain the same, for now.

Elaine, looking much worse for wear, finally boards a train that will eventually get her home. It has stops in Baltimore, Philadelphia, Harrisburg and other smaller cities before finally reaching her destination and there are no spot available for a sleeper so her seat will have to do. She is livid at having to suffer like this and she makes it known to a porter and the conductor. The men tried to placate her, but to no avail. At least, she thinks, I have this seat to myself. Not long after leaving Union Station the train makes it's first stop, Baltimore, and a man takes the vacant seat next to her. “Oh great,” she mutters to herself.

Todd

(in reply to tocaff)
Post #: 471
RE: The Flight From Hell - 10/11/2010 6:23:07 PM   
tocaff

November 24, 1942 Australia

Intel

5th Engineer Regiment is located at Changkufeng.
3rd Mortar Battalion is located at Port Moresby.
108th IJA Base Force is located at Peking.
129th IJA Base Force is located at Marcus Island.
163 ships are based at Tokyo.
Funauke Fortress is located at Sakashima.
51st Construction Battalion is located at Changchun.
61st Construction Battalion is located at Port Moresby.
123rd IJN Base Force is located at Haiphong.
106th IJA Base Force is located at Anshan.
3rd Reserve AA Regiment is located at Matsue.
3rd Mountain Gun Regiment is located at Darwin.
28883 men are based at Harbin.

Recon

F-5A Lightning takes recon photos of Myitkyina 3 LCUs 31300/344/17

Combat

An ASW attack 21 miles S of Singapore is perpetrated by 6 IJN DDs against the sub O23. The sub, like many before and many more to come will be listed as forever on patrol.

An air attack on 754th USA Tank Battalion 35 miles SW of the rail junction causes light casualties, but illustrates the Allied dilemma with no bases near enough to Darwin allowing for air cover.

S-44 Has reached Cairns and immediately she is inspected and scheduled for repairs starting within the hour. As soon as her watertight integrity is assured S-44 will make for a larger facility to effect further repairs.

High level meetings were held in both Washington and Moscow centering on the usual topics. The Soviets hammered away at demanding the opening of an immediate second front. The Americans persistently were insisting on basing right so that they could bomb Japan. The only thing they could agree on was that they would hold future talks.

Ed wearily headed back to his office after attending the meetings at the Department of State. The fact that the Soviets and Americans could not agree on anything came as no surprise to him. Now there is time for a brief bite to eat and then a couple of meetings in the afternoon. Operation Sunshine is on hold, Snowball proceeds and a new plan is in it's infancy.

Major Thomas Smith, USMC, has been relieved of is duties at Camp Pendleton and has been reassigned to the 1st Marine Division. He's got space on a B-24D being ferried to Pearl Harbor and then from there he'll secure additional transport. He considers himself lucky to have avoided a long voyage by ship in one of the plodding convoys. When he gets to the plane he's greeted by the crew and told to grab a pillow and blanket as it'll be a long flight. After 2 hours in the air he's offered a cup of coffee from a thermos jug and a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. He gratefully accepts and wolfs it down. He never realized how cold, noisy and uncomfortable these planes could be. Another 2 hours into the trip the plane starts getting buffeted around by turbulence caused by unexpected weather. This is worse than a roller coaster ride he thinks and then the air sickness sets in. There's nothing to throw up into so the deck of the plane gets it. Major Smith is feeling awful and is scared when suddenly a downdraft hits them. If I survive this I'm going to kiss the ground he thinks. To nobody in particular he says, “I hate flying.”

Orsini wonders if this ship could go any slower. He wonders at how men could stand being at sea for weeks or more at a time. He's managed to stay in shape, write letters to almost everybody that he knows and yet the boredom is awful. A crewman tells him that their arrival at Pearl Harbor is “soon.” Joe wonders if “soon” is meant in civilian or military terms.

Gunny tells hi company CO that the platoon is short 4 men with another 5 presently unfit for duty. “If we are assigned a mission it would be nice to get those replacements that I've heard about.”

Dave is chatting with a man who stopped by the station and he tells him that, “A new set of tires is almost impossible to get a hold off, but I'll try. I did get that starter for you though. The only problem is that with only one hand I might have a bit of trouble installing it.”

Sandy hears him and says, “I can do it for you. Don't the two of you look at me so funny. I've grown up around a repair shop and learned more than you'd expect. Give me a couple of hours and it'll be done. OK?”

The men nod and Dave gives her the starter and then they go get a Coke while Sandy gets to work.

Pete had lunch with Sylvia and her parents again today. They all really have taken to each other. Pete brought Milt a carton of cigarettes and flowers for Jac. When Sylvia asked if he forgot somebody he just grinned and gave her a hug and said, “You've got me.”

Todd

(in reply to tocaff)
Post #: 472
RE: Missing - 10/12/2010 11:07:25 PM   
tocaff

November 25, 1942 Wheeler Airfield

Intel

16th Division is located at Tulagi.
14th Mortar Battalion is located at Darwin.
46th Naval Guard Unit is located at Merauke.
1st Naval Construction Battalion is located at Takao.
1st Mortar Battalion is planning for an attack on Kweiyang.
39th Road Construction Battalion is located at Manila.
China Expeditionary Army is planning for an attack on Chungking.
50th Heavy AA Battalion is located at Rangoon.
Kainan Guard SNLF is located at Canton.
109 aircraft are based at Mutanchiang.

Recon

F-5A Lightning takes recon photos of Mandalay 13 LCUs 34640/302/11

Combat

7 X Wellington, 20 X Hudson, 38 X B-25C and 11 X P-38G raided Myitkyina and hit the 4th Mixed Rgt causing moderate loses to the unit. No Allied planes were lost in the attack.

10 X Zero, 3 X Betty, 43 X Helen and 29 X Tony attacked the 3rd Australian Tank Rgt not far from the rail junction. Loses were light and all of the Japanese planes departed safely.

Another raid, this time hitting the 193rd USA Tank Bn a mere 6 miles away, by 6 X Helen, 6 X Betty and 4 X Tony caused no damage.

The Dutch sub KXVIII continues to limp towards Cairns. Her crew is nearly exhausted from their struggle to stop the flooding. It seems that every seam has ruptured and the water always finds another way in once they patch a leak. Progress has been made and the skipper is sure that his men can and will do the job, the alternative is unthinkable.

Ed is busy composing his daily reports before another round of meetings when the telephone rings. “Yes? OK, put him through. Hi, how are you? Not this afternoon as my schedule is a bit busy. When? OK, I'll see you then. Yeah the usual transport will do just fine. Bye Bill.” Ed hangs up the phone wondering what's on Donovan's mind as their meetings are never purely social in nature.

Gunny is taking a walk when he stumbles into the now legendary still that his boys built. He didn't want to know it's location and one of the men greets him so now he can't even pretend that he doesn't know. After talking with the men he accepts a drink and emits a howl after the first sip. “If this stuff were any stronger we could use it on the Japs,” he says and the men enjoy a good laugh. He finishes his cup and tells them that if the still were in another spot by this evening then he wouldn't know it's location and all would be well. With an aye aye ringing in his ears Gunny leaves to continue his walk. Damn that stuff would make any Marine proud, he thinks.

Sandy brings Dave his lunch at the station to find him playing cards with one of his pals. “Euchre?” she asks, “Who's winning.” Dave's look answers the second question and knowing the two men the first was a rhetorical one. Its been another day with no mail, something she's getting used to. Tomorrow is Thanksgiving and from the looks of things it'll just be Dave and her. She’ll spend the day cooking a meal that will feed them both for many days. She really doesn't like turkey, but for her father she'd do almost anything.

A report concerning an overdue ferry flight of a B-24 is submitted to a member of the base commander's staff. Wheeler Airfield has been a very busy place since the outbreak of hostilities and this is just another in a long line of missing, overdue and crashed flights. It's given to an orderly who will handle it and send it on to the base where the flight originated from. “Let them get it sorted out, I'm busy enough,” the captain tells the corporal.

Todd

(in reply to tocaff)
Post #: 473
RE: Missing - 10/13/2010 12:39:10 AM   
rtrapasso

quote:

Major Smith is feeling awful and is scared when suddenly a downdraft hits them. If I survive this I'm going to kiss the ground he thinks. To nobody in particular he says, “I hate flying.”

quote:

A report concerning an overdue ferry flight of a B-24 is submitted to a member of the base commander's staff.

Uh-oh...

(in reply to tocaff)
Post #: 474
RE: Thanksgiving - 10/13/2010 10:18:15 PM   
tocaff

November 26, 1942 Thanksgiving Day

Intel

88183 men are based at Pescadores.
43rd Construction Battalion is located at Rangoon.
14th Construction Battalion is located at Lae.
51st Heavy AA Battalion is located at Koepang.
Radio transmissions detected at Rabaul.
53rd Division is located at Osaka/Kobe.
Chichijima Fortress is located at Niigata.
Ryojun Fortress is located at Port Arthur.
8th Area Army is loaded on AP,Taijima Maru moving to Port Moresby.

Recon

Nothing reported

Combat

A Betty suddenly appears out of the sun and makes a bombing run on the S-43 patrolling about 72 miles from Gili Gili. The sub makes good her escape, but she's leaking fuel after a near miss and must return to Cairns. The chief reports to the skipper that an hour of welding and the boat will be as good as new. The S-43 had been in position to intercept the AP reported to be heading to Port Moresby. They had even spotted smoke on the horizon prior to the attack.

The Tarpon has been diverted and will now lay her mines at Port Moresby.

An air attack on the 4th Mixed Regiment at Myitkyina was made by 33 X B-25C and 11 X P-38G causing heavy casualties while suffering no loses.

Japanese planes attacked the 3rd Australian Tank Regiment and the 193rd USA Tank Battalion near the rail junction causing moderate casualties. No planes were reported to have been hit.

The new BB Indiana has departed the US, bound for Pearl Harbor.

Ed is having his Thanksgiving meal alone in the canteen in the Pentagon when a WAVE approaches him, salutes, hands him a piece of paper, salutes and leaves. He reads the paper and mutters to himself as he gets up from his meal and heads for the front entrance of the building after a quick stop in his office to let them know that he's on his way to the White House. A little more than an hour later FDR greets him and asks if he'd care for a drink before sitting down to eat a holiday meal.

“I figured that you might be alone, as am I with Elanor out on the road promoting a War Bond Drive. I also wanted to be the one that gave you the news that you've been waiting for. Admiral Landy I am pleased to inform you, well pleased for you at least, that you are relieved of your duties at the Pentagon effective immediately. You will, at your earliest possible convenience make your way to Pearl Harbor. Once there you will assume command of the Naval Bombardment TF that will pave the way for the amphibious landings that are Operation Snowball. I presume that you know of Operation Snowball?”

“Yes Sir,” is all that Ed can manage as a huge grin appears on his face. The two men have their drinks and then dine on the normal fare that is consumed on Thanksgiving Day. This is a truly good holiday Ed thinks to himself. After leaving the White House Ed heads to the Pentagon to arrange for transport westwards , soonest and high priority. Once his staff is on that he heads home to pack. As he prepares to leave Bill Donovan greets him and asks if he'd like a ride to the airfield.

“Before I go I need to know how in the hell you seem to know about everything going on in this world.” Ed awaits an answer as he gets into the car.

“Look at this and know that I've got spies everywhere,” Donovan laughs.

The German rearguard has been thrown back across the Don.

The first large deportation of Jews from Norway started today.

The two men talk and before they know it the car comes to a stop next to a C-47 that is starting it's engines, that will take Ed away. “Happy Thanksgiving Admiral Landy. I'm going to miss our little chats. Best of luck and and try to get some sleep on the plane.”

“Thanks Bill. I'll be seeing you,” replies Ed as he shakes Bill's hand. He then walks towards the plane and Donovan's driver hands a suitcase to a crewman who says, “Welcome aboard Admiral.”

The plane lifts of and a new phase in the career of Admiral Edward Landy begins.

In Dave's house he and Sandy dine on a meal she has taken all day to prepare. Sandy is sad because Bill is somewhere at sea and Dave knows that there's nothing he can do to console his daughter. They make small talk and then Dave helps her with the cleanup. Later they sit in the living room listening to the radio.

Gunny sits in the mess hall eating with the other enlisted men of his company. He wonders how long it'll be before they get another holiday meal like this one. “Wow, they even made cranberry sauce for us,” says a Marine at the table.

Aboard the transport Orsini sits eating a turkey dinner with the other Marines. It's not as good as home, but he has to admit that it's good. The holiday meal is appreciated by the men and morale improves. Later that night as Joe stands on deck staring at the stars a crewman passing by tells him that they'll be arriving at Pearl Harbor in about a day or two.

Pete is explaining Thanksgiving to Sylvia and her parents and Jac says,”I think it's a marvelous holiday, what with the family gathering and all that food.”

Milt likes the idea too and chimes in with, “A good drink or two and a smoke with the men sounds like a wonderful idea.”

Sylvia asks, “Do you miss the United States Pete?”

Pete thinks about that and answers, “I never really had any roots as I drifted from one job to another. Until the war started I wasn't attached to anything and then there were the Pirates. Now I've been made to feel a part of your family and I can't thank you enough for opening your home to me. I don't really miss the States and I think that maybe I should stay around here.”

BB-58 Indiana

Attachment (1)

Todd

(in reply to rtrapasso)
Post #: 475
RE: Changed Plans - 10/14/2010 9:09:04 PM   
tocaff

November 27, 1942 Flying West

Intel

1837 men are based at Gumma.
Kwantung Defense Brigade is located at Changchun.
1st Division is located at Harbin.
3557 men are based at Seoul.
2nd Mountain Gun Regiment is located at Homan.
7th Engineer Regiment is located at Mutanchiang.
3rd Engineer Regiment is located at Lunga.
3120 men are based at Bangkok.
54th Division is located at Okayama.
1st Air Division is planning for an attack on Chungking.
7892 men are based at Sendai.
Radio transmissions detected at Vancouver.

Recon

F-5A Lightning takes recon photos of Rangoon 110 fighters, 105 bombers, 209 aux, 5 X AK, 20 LCUs

Combat

S-36 is stalking a convoy about 85 miles NW of Darwin when the escorts detect her and attack, driving her off.

The 3rd Australian Tank Regiment, 47 miles from the rail junction is attacked by Japanese planes. Loses are light and all of the attackers leave intact.

Twelve miles away the 193rd USA Tank Battalion also is attacked and loses are light. All of the Japanese planes leave the scene undamaged.

A tanker is speaking to his platoon leader and says, “I don't give a damn what the brass is planning. If they can't get us air cover then at least they can withdraw us from here. We're just sitting ducks doing nothing except providing easy targets.” The men all nod in agreement and the officer somberly says that he's already complained to the company CO who in turn complained to the battalion CO. Operation Grinder is turning into a disaster according to the men on the front lines.

A huge convoy left San Francisco for Pearl Harbor bearing the last of the assets for Operation Snowball. Most of the troops are already at their advanced base for the operation or will be shortly.

The sub KXVIII has made good progress against the flooding and her skipper is proud of the crew, who have done nothing less than he expected of them.

Ed is making fantastic progress in his trip westwards. Somehow the travel arrangements made for him by his ex office staff got changed and a plane awaits him as soon as the C-47 lands and comes to a halt. Within the hour, allowing him a trip to the bathroom and a quick hot meal he's back in the air. This time He's on a B-25 that will take him all the way to the coast. From there he wonders what's next as he drifts off to sleep despite the roar of the twin engines. Hours later Ed is awakened by the plane being bounced as they cross over the Rocky Mountains. Damned thing is uncomfortable as all hell he thinks.

Sandy brings Dave his lunch and says, “Guess what's for lunch?”

Dave fakes thinking about this and says, “Could it be a turkey sandwich? Thanks, it's my favorite,” he kids. They sit in the little office at the station eating lunch together while they listen to the radio. Some Glenn Miller tunes are being played and then the news is given.

Sylvia and her mother are talking about Pete and if he really is the man for her. Sylvia tells Jac that they've agreed to let things take their own course and nobody is making any pressure. He's been the perfect gentleman and in his company everything just feels “right.”

The British are now 22 miles from Tunis.

The Germans took the French naval base of Toulon. The French scuttled 79 warships as the Germans entered the city. Four large subs escaped from the clutches of the Germans.

Todd

(in reply to tocaff)
Post #: 476
RE: Changed Plans - 10/14/2010 10:07:21 PM   
gladiatt

quote:

ORIGINAL: tocaff

November 27, 1942 Flying West

The Germans took the French naval base of Toulon. The French scuttled 79 warships as the Germans entered the city. Four large subs escaped from the clutches of the Germans.

Of these 4 subs, only 1 will reach the allies in North Africa IIRC, the others being scuttled or destroyed in combat.....
And at this date, one of my grandfather will drive like mad in the moutain north of Nice to hide his wife and theirs 2 daughters....one of them being my mom....

(in reply to tocaff)
Post #: 477
RE: Plane! - 10/15/2010 10:49:15 PM   
tocaff

gladiatt
That's very interesting about your family's history being intertwined with historical events. If my war gets far enough I'll be able to inject some of my father's tales of the war too.
Thanks for reading and feedback.

November 28, 1942 The Coral Sea

Intel

1st Guards Mixed Brigade is located at Tokyo.
25th Engineer Regiment is located at Sendai.
8th Tank Regiment is located at Singapore.
5896 men are based at Niigata.
4th Tank Regiment is located at Port Moresby.
45th Heavy AA Battalion is located at Bangkok.
129th IJN Base Force is located at Singapore.
127th IJA Base Force is located at Gili Gili.
8th Area Army is loaded on AP,Taijima Maru moving to Port Moresby.
Yura Fortress is located at Takamatsu.
22nd Ind. Mixed Brigade is located at Darwin.
236284 men are based at Osaka/Kobe.

Recon

SB-2 takes recon photos of Heiho 9 LCUs 62980/767/28
Pe-2 takes recon photos of Fushan 1 LCU 1480/12/0
SB-2 takes recon photos of Chiamussu 5 LCUs 22640/305/79
Pe-2 takes recon photos of Mutanchiang 9 LCUs 24120/315/150
R-12 takes recon photos of Changkufeng 9 LCUs 48140/361/9
R-12 takes recon photos of Hailar 7 LCUs 43100/326/5
R-12 takes recon photos of Arshaan 2 LCUs 6080/91/0
F-5A Lightning takes recon photos of Bangkok 2 LCUs 2100/42/0
PBY Catalina takes recon photos of Makin 5 LCUs 7200/23/0
PB2Y Coronado takes recon photos of Lunga 12 LCUs 4320/42/0

Combat

Air attacks continue on Allied armored formations near the rail junction doing light damage.

The submarine Tuna attacked a convoy near Koepang but either missed or the fish were duds.

“Plane!” shouts a lookout aboard the Tarpon as the Betty makes her attack run. The men literally fall all over each other as they scramble to clear the sail, tumbling into the control room. The boat dives and manages to escape without being hit and now, having laid her mines the Tarpon will take up a station in the Port Moresby vicinity until orders to depart are received.

Operation Grinder has become a puzzle as the Japanese troops pull back towards Darwin. Some COs want to feint following and instead strike out for Wyndham leaving a strong blocking force to cover the rail junction.

Sandy gives Dave his lunch, another turkey sandwich. Dave thanks her and the two of them talk for a while about how they'll manage to stay in business with everything being in short supply.

The word passes among the Marines that the convoy should reach Pearl Harbor within the next 24 hours. The men are excited about arriving in Hawaii and seeing it firsthand for themselves after hearing what the old Marines said about the place. Orsini will be overjoyed just to be back on dry land. He wishes that he could tell his parents in the letter that he's writing where he will be, but can't.

Phil and the rest of Benham's crew are putting the ship through a series of exercises that are meant to test the systems and sharpen the crew up a bit.

Ed's plane touched down and he's had a hot shower a meal and some sleep in a proper bed, thanks to a very accommodating base commander. He now is being driven to the airfield where a B-24D will carry him to Pearl Harbor. If I were still a captain I'd be in Dayton by now, he thinks to himself.

Victory Points Japanese 17870 Allies 6373

Todd

(in reply to gladiatt)
Post #: 478
RE: Plane! - 10/16/2010 8:28:45 PM   
tocaff

November 29, 1942 Noumea

Intel

11th Division is located at Mutanchiang.
5th Coastal Gun Regiment is located at Gili Gili.
Kwantung Area Army is located at Changchun.
6938 men are based at Shimuzu.
Elements of the 32nd Division are located at Homan.
10564 men are based at Etorofo Jima.
4th AA Regiment is located at Toyama.
5th Reserve AA Regiment is located at Taejon.
3rd Engineer Regiment is located at Lunga.
248721 men are based at Sasebo.

Recon

PBY Catalina takes recon photos of Makin 5 LCUs 10980/35/0
PB2Y Coronado takes recon photos of Lunga 12 LCUs 4380/21/0
F-5A Lightning takes recon photos of Bangkok 2 LCUs 2780/43/0
Gili Gili 7 LCUs 13360/125/0

Combat

156 X B-17E attacked Gili Gili and did light damage to the base, it's facilities and supply dumps. There were 22 X Zero and 18 X Tony defending and they managed to down 17 of the bombers while damaging 51 more at a cost of 4 X Zero destroyed 7 more damaged, 3 X Tony shot down 11 others damaged a Nell and a Betty were destroyed on the ground. The inexperience of the Allied crews is a glaring weakness and the loses must be lessened.

89 X B-24D made an unopposed attack on Tulagi. Ground fire claimed a plane and 7 more were damaged. The port facilities were lightly damaged.

Japanese planes attacked the 193rd USA Tank Battalion near the rail junction and the unit suffered moderate loses.

SS S-44 has been patched up, declared seaworthy and left Cairns bound for Sydney to have more extensive repairs done.

Ed's flight was delayed due to mechanical problems. When they finally departed it was already getting dark. The flight will be a long journey and bathroom facilities are an empty coffee can. It's cold and noisy as Ed curls up under a couple of blankets.

A couple of items were noted not to be functioning properly and some workmen busily attend to them as Benham loads ammunition for her guns, torpedo tubes and depth charges.

The Palawan in anchored at Noumea with nothing to do. The crew continues to enjoy the pleasures of the harbor. Cookie and Red take Lucky ashore every chance they get to give the dog the chance to run around. The three of them have some lunch at a little bar near a beach and Cookie enjoys the view while Red is all eyes for their waitress.

Elaine still can't get over her aborted trip to Washington DC. Her father sighs and says, “With a war on maybe you shouldn't be making trips like that and expect to find military men waiting for you. He hasn't written or called in how long? Do you think that he still has any interest in you, especially after the trip that he made here way back when. It's time that you stop thinking only of yourself.”

Today Winston Churchill warned the Italian government that RAF bombings of Italian cities will continue until Italy quits the war.

Todd

(in reply to tocaff)
Post #: 479
RE: Arrivals - 10/17/2010 12:36:57 PM   
tocaff

November 30, 1942 Hawaii

Intel

100183 men are based at Heiho.
64th Construction Battalion is located at Nagasaki.
22nd Heavy AA Battalion is planning for an attack on Chungking.
6944 men are based at Shimuzu.
28877 men are based at Harbin.
8th Aviation Rgt is located at Chiamussu.
102nd IJNAF Base Force is located at Woleai.
7138 men are based at Nagasaki.
46455 men are based at Mutanchiang.
7615 men are based at Bonin.

Recon

Nothing reported

Combat

Myitkyina was attacked by 12 X Wellington, 27 X Hudson, 63 X B-25C and 24 X P-38G. The Japanese offered no resistance to the raid and the airfield suffered moderate damage. The debriefing noted that there were many secondary explosions that indicated that facilities and supplies were hit hard too. All of the planes returned home safely.

The 3rd Australian Tank Regiment was attacked by Japanese planes again. Casualties were light and commanders are complaining loudly about being targets left out in the open with no protection.

The Cuttlefish loaded mines today and will depart for her target tomorrow after which she will make for Pearl Harbor and a refit.

Ed is sitting in the nose of the B-24 looking out at what appears to be an endless ocean when suddenly he spots a dark spot on the horizon. It grows as they approach it and the copilot tells him that is their destination, the Hawaiian Islands. It'll be good to set foot on solid ground where there is enough room to stretch and not be assaulted by the constant roar of the engines. After landing Ed appreciates the warm sunshine, thanks the airmen for the ride and heads off to report in and find out where to hang his hat.

Today Lucky got loose and ran off after some birds. Red refused to return to the ship without him and he wanders off into the wild calling for the dog. Cookie went back to the Palawan after telling Red that the dog would return on his own when he was ready.

“Lucky, here boy, Lucky,” he's calling when suddenly Red hears “HALT!” Red has stumbled into the 1st Marine Division. He explains who he is and what he's doing and the Marines offer him some water and something to eat. They tell him that they haven't seen any dogs at all, especially a big gray one. Red leaves thanking the men before any officer appears as civilians aren't allowed in the defensive positions manned by the Marines.

That evening a forlorn and tired Red arrives back at the Palawan to find Lucky waiting on the deck for him. The dog is excited to see him and almost knocks Red down by jumping on him. “Cookie said you'd find your way home.”

The workers on Benham finished today and the ship continues to load supplies for her next mission.

Pete and Sylvia were eating lunch when an orderly approached them and told Pete that the director of the facility wanted to see him. Pete excuses himself and goes to the man's office where after a brief wait he's told to enter.

“Hi Pete, how are you?” asks the doctor. “I've got good news for you. It seems that there's a ship with space for you that'll be leaving tonight bound for Noumea. From there you can obtain additional transport to Pearl Harbor.”

Pete thinks about this and replies, “If it's all the same to you I don't want to leave.”

“Pete we need the space here for other men who have been wounded. Where would you stay?” The doctor suddenly realizes that the answer to his question is quite obvious. “OK, go speak to Sylvia and her parents about this.”

A convoy arrived at Pearl today and immediately began disgorging men, fuel and supplies. Orsini climbs on a waiting truck to be taken to an assembly area where he will find out what lies in store for him.

The Italians announced the evacuation of Turin, Genoa and Milan.

Todd

(in reply to tocaff)
Post #: 480
Page:   <<   < prev  14 15 [16] 17 18   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> After Action Reports >> RE: Tough Going Page: <<   < prev  14 15 [16] 17 18   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI