Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Question about destroyers

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> Question about destroyers Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Question about destroyers - 5/19/2002 10:53:37 AM   
Rob Roberson

In four days of playing the game I have yet to see destroyers hit targets with torpedos. In fact, in my two most recent surface engagements. The destroyers on the opposing sides, did not engage. Now I understand the cruiser guns would suffice to keep any small boy at bay...but they should of at least gotten off a spread of torpedos. Given the Japanese advantage in this area I would be dissappointed to find out that this was not modeled.
Post #: 1
- 5/19/2002 11:33:32 AM   
Diealtekoenig

I have had both destroyers and IJN Cruisers hit with torpedoes in surface v. surface actions.

I have even had torpedo hits in day actions (but not unitl several rounds at longer range had taken place)

(in reply to Rob Roberson)
Post #: 2
:) - 5/19/2002 11:44:46 AM   
Rob Roberson

Whew, maybe I have just been un/lucky.

Thanks

Post #: 3
US DD - 5/19/2002 3:04:03 PM   
mogami

Greetings, In my solo campaign R Adm. S Nishurma had the misfortune of twice running into larger USN TF's and having to swim home. 2 IJN CA and 2 CL under his command were sunk by US torpedoes fired from destroyers. After he threatened to make a mess in my HQ (all over my nice clean floor) I relented to his pleading and again placed him in command of a TF assigned to protect Lunga. This time instead of 2 CA 2 CL 4 DD I gave him
2 BB 2 CA 2CL and 8 DD he crushed the next enemy TF, then to prove it was no fluke on another occasion with other ships he sank the BB North Carolina mostly with torpedoes.

I'm not retreating, I'm attacking in a different direction!

Post #: 4
- 5/19/2002 6:19:41 PM   
daniel123

When you have a surface taskforce go into combat are you given a choise of sending in the destorys first or does the system just line them up and everybody fire???

Post #: 5
- 5/19/2002 9:59:15 PM   
dgaad

No you are not given a choice.

I don't think there are enough destroyer torpedo attacks in surface combat, this was essentially the only way a destroyer had a chance against anything larger, and charges by groups of destroyers to fire off spreads was a very common thing in the surface engagements of the period.

I'm guessing here that the "aggressiveness" of the fleet commander (along with the competence of the individual ship captain) has something to do with whether salvoes get loosed.

I often hear the distinctive sounds of torpedos during a surface engagement, but no text appears anywhere to indicate that one or a salvo of them has been loosed. I have seen a couple of torpedo hits in all the time I've been playing.

BTW I hate the Nagato.

Last time I checked, the forums were messed up. ;)

Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> Question about destroyers Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI