Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Advanced Third Reich/ World at War

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> RE: Advanced Third Reich/ World at War Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Advanced Third Reich/ World at War - 4/12/2009 11:15:46 PM   
MorningDew

quote:

ORIGINAL: yesman68

Actually, Mad Russian, I have the computer version of 3R published in '96 by Avalon Hill and still enjoy playing it (in the absence of people to play A3R, the boardgame).

You can play AWAW against others online using Warplanner

< Message edited by AndrewKurtz -- 4/12/2009 11:16:40 PM >

(in reply to yesman68)
Post #: 31
RE: Advanced Third Reich/ World at War - 4/13/2009 8:22:39 AM   
HansHafen

Well sorry Willy, you little ingrateful twit. I'll let you whine next time. I think I just figured out why no one answered your...

(in reply to Grotius)
Post #: 32
RE: Advanced Third Reich/ World at War - 4/13/2009 4:31:07 PM   
willycube

quote:

ORIGINAL: HansHafen

Well sorry Willy, you little ingrateful twit. I'll let you whine next time. I think I just figured out why no one answered your...

Little ingrateful twit hah, I am 6ft 1 inch I will have you know, twit sounds like one of those English words we all love, I am offended by that name you could have called me Cube or boob or something nicer but twit ouch, I still dont have an answer to my question but in a reply earlier I think someone said you were confused about the 3rd Reich computer game, admit your wrong and I will forgive you.

Willy [cube]

(in reply to HansHafen)
Post #: 33
RE: Advanced Third Reich/ World at War - 4/14/2009 8:38:49 PM   
Mike Parker

quote:

ORIGINAL: yesman68

Actually, Mad Russian, I have the computer version of 3R published in '96 by Avalon Hill and still enjoy playing it (in the absence of people to play A3R, the boardgame).

Am I to understand there is no armor exploitation in WiF?

I've never opted to buy WiF because I don't have room to set the thing up. There is such a thing as being to big.

Having said that, I will be purchasing CWiF. I'm a sucker for grand strategic scale games!!

Dan

I have been at various times an avid player of both 3R A3R and WIF. Its hard to directly answer your question but I will try.

WiF doesn't have the same type of Armour exploitation as ?3R. it does however have very much the same dynamic. Because having a preponderance of Armoured (or Armoured Inf) can allow you to use a more beneficial column on the attack table you get VERY MUCH the feel of armoured exploitation (or a term I prefer 'battle of manouver'). It doesn't have quite the violent upheaval that /3R has, its more gradual than that, but in some ways that is very pleasing. Your exploitation is instead a more encroaching doom where the opponent is praying to all the hold dear that the turn ends, and the attacker is grinning like the cheshire cat as his armour/armoured inf move into position to cut off swaths of troops.

Like you know me enough to believe what I say... but I will say it ainyway for what its worth, if your worried you will lose the thrill of armoured encirclements from ?3R, well you won't believe me its in there!

(in reply to yesman68)
Post #: 34
RE: Advanced Third Reich/ World at War - 4/16/2009 7:04:57 PM   
jcprom

IMHO, the feel of exploitation is replaced mostly by the impulse system which helps create breakthroughs. The impulse/initiative/weather system is one of the best feature of WiF (if not the best).

That being said, ARM units in 3R are almost like "gods" compared to INF units. Only ARM can breakthrough and exploit. Only ARM have ZOC. With too few ARMs, you are totally helpless. You can't even defend yourself.

Whereas in 3R having more ARM means being much stronger, in WiF you only need a sufficient amount of ARMs (in order to choose the type of combat). Having too many is wasting your BPs. Many INFs have similar combat ratings for half the cost and half the building time. They "exploit" with ARMs when you get 2 impulse in a row or when enemy units are flipped.

< Message edited by jcprom -- 4/16/2009 7:05:36 PM >

(in reply to Missouri Rebel)
Post #: 35
RE: Advanced Third Reich/ World at War - 4/16/2009 7:35:28 PM   
Jagdtiger14

I used to play A3R/Rising Sun in the mid-late 90's...even went to Avaloncon twice to play it there. If I remember correctly INF also had ZOC's(I never played 3R). I really like and prefer the impulse system in WiF as well. A3R was a game based on 3 month(quarterly) turns with initiative checks...sometime in 42 the initiative would swing to the Allies and give them a double move which was huge...sometimes each side would get double moves until the Allies finally maintained initiative control. The problem I have with WiF weather and intiative is that its only one die when you roll for it...I wish there was a bell curve with at least 2d10 with modifiers.

I have to disagree that having "too many" ARM in WiF is a waste of BP's. Germany and USSR always build out all their ARM. CW and USA need as much ARM as possible so their follow-up to invasion cant be blitzed off(or made more difficult). In our group the Japs always build out their ARM.

quote:

ORIGINAL: jcprom

IMHO, the feel of exploitation is replaced mostly by the impulse system which helps create breakthroughs. The impulse/initiative/weather system is one of the best feature of WiF (if not the best).

That being said, ARM units in 3R are almost like "gods" compared to INF units. Only ARM can breakthrough and exploit. Only ARM have ZOC. With too few ARMs, you are totally helpless. You can't even defend yourself.

Whereas in 3R having more ARM means being much stronger, in WiF you only need a sufficient amount of ARMs (in order to choose the type of combat). Having too many is wasting your BPs. Many INFs have similar combat ratings for half the cost and half the building time. They "exploit" with ARMs when you get 2 impulse in a row or when enemy units are flipped.

Conflict with the unexpected: two qualities are indispensable; first, an intellect which, even in the midst of this obscurity, is not without some traces of inner light which lead to the truth; second, the courage to follow this faint light. KvC

(in reply to jcprom)
Post #: 36
RE: Advanced Third Reich/ World at War - 4/16/2009 8:58:13 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jagdtiger14

I used to play A3R/Rising Sun in the mid-late 90's...even went to Avaloncon twice to play it there. If I remember correctly INF also had ZOC's(I never played 3R). I really like and prefer the impulse system in WiF as well. A3R was a game based on 3 month(quarterly) turns with initiative checks...sometime in 42 the initiative would swing to the Allies and give them a double move which was huge...sometimes each side would get double moves until the Allies finally maintained initiative control. The problem I have with WiF weather and intiative is that its only one die when you roll for it...I wish there was a bell curve with at least 2d10 with modifiers.

I have to disagree that having "too many" ARM in WiF is a waste of BP's. Germany and USSR always build out all their ARM. CW and USA need as much ARM as possible so their follow-up to invasion cant be blitzed off(or made more difficult). In our group the Japs always build out their ARM.

quote:

In WIF the amount of armor you can build is limited to the counter mix (hence your frequent reference to "build out"). Is that true in 3R?

Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.

(in reply to Jagdtiger14)
Post #: 37
RE: Advanced Third Reich/ World at War - 4/16/2009 9:22:34 PM   
wworld7

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jagdtiger14

quote:

In WIF the amount of armor you can build is limited to the counter mix (hence your frequent reference to "build out"). Is that true in 3R?

Yes, it is. In 3R each country had a seperate force pool of units they could build. You could not build more of a type if ALL had already been built. It was a great game.

Flipper

(in reply to Shannon V. OKeets)
Post #: 38
RE: Advanced Third Reich/ World at War - 4/16/2009 9:34:51 PM   
composer99

Just like airpower, there is no such thing as too much armour. You just have to know when to build it and when building the cheaper stuff is more important.

~ Composer99

(in reply to wworld7)
Post #: 39
RE: Advanced Third Reich/ World at War - 4/17/2009 12:16:19 AM   
sajbalk

I will second Composer99's thoughts. With the 2D10, ARM/MECH is great. Need mot divs, and INF for the cities and mountains. MOT/ART/CAV is for after you have run out of the former.

Steve Balk
Iowa, USA

(in reply to composer99)
Post #: 40
RE: Advanced Third Reich/ World at War - 4/17/2009 3:07:41 AM   
Mad Russian

quote:

ORIGINAL: sajbalk

With the 2D10, ARM/MECH is great. Need mot divs, and INF for the cities and mountains. MOT/ART/CAV is for after you have run out of the former.

What is a 2D10?

Good Hunting.

MR

The most expensive thing in the world is free time.

Founder of HSG scenario design group for Combat Mission.
Panzer Command Ostfront Development Team.
Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm Development Team.

(in reply to sajbalk)
Post #: 41
RE: Advanced Third Reich/ World at War - 4/17/2009 3:19:13 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mad Russian

quote:

With the 2D10, ARM/MECH is great. Need mot divs, and INF for the cities and mountains. MOT/ART/CAV is for after you have run out of the former.

What is a 2D10?

Good Hunting.

MR

An optional rule. The standard rule uses 1 ten-sided die for land combat resolution (1D10). The 2D10 uses a completely different CRT and 2 dice (duh). If you want to see some recent screen shots of both of these tables they are in the Player Interface Design thread - not very far back from the most recent posts in that thread (1 page back?).

Steve

(in reply to Mad Russian)
Post #: 42
RE: Advanced Third Reich/ World at War - 4/17/2009 4:14:37 AM   
Mad Russian

quote:

quote:

quote:

What is a 2D10?

Good Hunting.

MR

An optional rule. The standard rule uses 1 ten-sided die for land combat resolution (1D10). The 2D10 uses a completely different CRT and 2 dice (duh). If you want to see some recent screen shots of both of these tables they are in the Player Interface Design thread - not very far back from the most recent posts in that thread (1 page back?).

An optional rule for MWiF or some earlier version?

In the wargames I designed I always used a 10 sided die or a pair of them to give percentage results. Much easier and a much better representation. So that concept works for me.

Good Hunting.

MR

< Message edited by Mad Russian -- 4/17/2009 4:15:30 AM >

Post #: 43
RE: Advanced Third Reich/ World at War - 4/17/2009 4:46:07 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

What is a 2D10?

Good Hunting.

MR

In the wargames I designed I always used a 10 sided die or a pair of them to give percentage results. Much easier and a much better representation. So that concept works for me.

Good Hunting.

MR

There is a thread where I posted the text descriptions of all 80 optional rules (rewritten by me for the Players Manual). You'll find the offensive chit described there too. I threw in a few tips about the importance and use of some of the optional rules - but those are few and far between.

Steve

Post #: 44
RE: Advanced Third Reich/ World at War - 4/17/2009 5:58:21 AM   
Mad Russian

At the moment I've worked my way through the tutorials to land units.

I would like to say that they are absolutely great for a veteran gamer of WiF!!

Not sure how well they would do for non-veteran WiF gamers. I have two that I've started talking to this past couple of weeks, we'll see how they do with them. I'll answer any indepth questions they have about the basic game.

Good Hunting.

MR

< Message edited by Mad Russian -- 4/17/2009 5:59:40 AM >

Post #: 45
RE: Advanced Third Reich/ World at War - 4/17/2009 6:50:12 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

At the moment I've worked my way through the tutorials to land units.

I would like to say that they are absolutely great for a veteran gamer of WiF!!

Not sure how well they would do for non-veteran WiF gamers. I have two that I've started talking to this past couple of weeks, we'll see how they do with them. I'll answer any indepth questions they have about the basic game.

Good Hunting.

MR

Thanks. I am always looking for advice on how to make them better. Here are a few pages I updates recently based on feedback from the beta testers.

Attachment (1)

Steve

Post #: 46
RE: Advanced Third Reich/ World at War - 4/17/2009 1:45:29 PM   
micheljq

quote:

Good Hunting.

MR

Take note however, that the 2D10 table for the land attacks does not uses percentages, you merely add the results from the 2 ten dices, results 2-20 plus or minus pos/neg. bonuses.

Post #: 47
RE: Advanced Third Reich/ World at War - 4/17/2009 5:40:51 PM   
Mad Russian

And then there is this......

I was especially careful that the color blind players could tell them all apart.

One of my best friends and a very good wargamer is color blind and often has a hard time distinguishing color coded maps and units. It just goes to show the lengths you've gone to that will make this game as easy to play as possible for everybody!

Thanks for all that!

Good Hunting.

MR

(in reply to micheljq)
Post #: 48
RE: Advanced Third Reich/ World at War - 4/17/2009 5:48:56 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: micheljq

quote:

Good Hunting.

MR

Take note however, that the 2D10 table for the land attacks does not uses percentages, you merely add the results from the 2 ten dices, results 2-20 plus or minus pos/neg. bonuses.

But this changes the distribution from a flat 10% for each of ten possibilities into a range of 1% to 10% (then back down to 1%) for rolls of 2 to 11 (then back down to 20). That provides a much finer grain for designing the CRT. [Personal peeve from long, long ago: the Avalon Hill CRTs which were identical for different games, ranging from American Civil War through WW II.]

Steve

(in reply to micheljq)
Post #: 49
RE: Advanced Third Reich/ World at War - 4/17/2009 7:12:41 PM   
micheljq

quote:

But this changes the distribution from a flat 10% for each of ten possibilities into a range of 1% to 10% (then back down to 1%) for rolls of 2 to 11 (then back down to 20). That provides a much finer grain for designing the CRT. [Personal peeve from long, long ago: the Avalon Hill CRTs which were identical for different games, ranging from American Civil War through WW II.]

Yes I like it because of this, normal results will show more often than extreme results, like 2 or 20.

Post #: 50
RE: Advanced Third Reich/ World at War - 4/17/2009 7:22:31 PM   
Mad Russian

quote:

ORIGINAL: micheljq

quote:

Good Hunting.

MR

So they aren't used as percentile then but just increasing the range of possibilities from 11 to 19 and evening out the range to equal chances for all the numbers.

Again, that works for me better than the 2 six sided dice rolls.

Good Hunting.

MR

(in reply to micheljq)
Post #: 51
RE: Advanced Third Reich/ World at War - 4/17/2009 8:25:22 PM   
Mike Parker

quote:

So they aren't used as percentile then but just increasing the range of possibilities from 11 to 19 and evening out the range to equal chances for all the numbers.

Good Hunting.

MR

well as said its 1% to 10% for any given result. In essence there are 100 possible rolls of a pair of 10 siders. There is only ONE way to get a 2 (or 20) that is to roll both 1's (10's) and hence 1/100 or 1%. For a three there are two ways. 1 then 2 on the 10 siders, or 2 then 1, so 2/100 or 2% likewise for 19 you can roll 10 then 9 or 9 then 10. the most probable single result being 11 of which there are 10 ways of rolling so 10/100 = 10%. 11 also happens to be the expected value of the sum of two ten siders if your into statistics.

Post #: 52
RE: Advanced Third Reich/ World at War - 4/17/2009 10:29:24 PM   
Mad Russian

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mike Parker

quote:

Good Hunting.

MR

well as said its 1% to 10% for any given result. In essence there are 100 possible rolls of a pair of 10 siders. There is only ONE way to get a 2 (or 20) that is to roll both 1's (10's) and hence 1/100 or 1%. For a three there are two ways. 1 then 2 on the 10 siders, or 2 then 1, so 2/100 or 2% likewise for 19 you can roll 10 then 9 or 9 then 10. the most probable single result being 11 of which there are 10 ways of rolling so 10/100 = 10%. 11 also happens to be the expected value of the sum of two ten siders if your into statistics.

That's not what I understood the answer to be. I understood the answer is that the two 10 sided dice are simply added together. Giving a result of only from 2 to 20.

That doesn't make them a percentile result; the way it does if one of the dice is read as ten's and the other as one's. Then you get get results from 01 to 00 or 100 results and not 19.

If all we do is add the dice there are three ways to get a 2. 1+1, 2+0 and 0+2.

If we do percentile there is only one way to get a 2. 2(ones dice) + 0 (tens dice).

If you get 100 results each result represents 1%. If you get 19 results each result represents roughly 5%.

Good Hunting.

MR

< Message edited by Mad Russian -- 4/17/2009 10:34:59 PM >

(in reply to Mike Parker)
Post #: 53
RE: Advanced Third Reich/ World at War - 4/17/2009 11:22:13 PM   
paulderynck

No, the Zero die side is read as a 'Ten' and the results can go from 2 to 20. The odds for each of the 19 possible outcomes are as Mike stated in Post #52. Its like playing Craps with ten-sided dice instead of 6-sided dice.

Of course here we only speak of 2D10 which is an option for land combat. The majority of rolls in WIFFE and MWIF are 1D10.

< Message edited by paulderynck -- 4/17/2009 11:26:10 PM >

Paul

Post #: 54
RE: Advanced Third Reich/ World at War - 4/17/2009 11:34:46 PM   
lomyrin

With the 2D10 you first establish the odds in an attack and add any modifiers due to Armor etc.  A 1:1 attack is worth +2 to the 2d10 die roll.  A 5:1 attack is worth +10 to the dierolls.

In this manner the odds in the dieroll possible distribution indicates the chances for success in the attack. Add to that the uneven distribution of the net results for a given total roll, dierolls + the odds factor.
This makes one very unsure of the final outcomes unless the odds are very high to begin with.

Lars

(in reply to paulderynck)
Post #: 55
RE: Advanced Third Reich/ World at War - 4/18/2009 12:07:33 AM   
Mike Parker

quote:

quote:

quote:

Good Hunting.

MR

That's not what I understood the answer to be. I understood the answer is that the two 10 sided dice are simply added together. Giving a result of only from 2 to 20.

That doesn't make them a percentile result; the way it does if one of the dice is read as ten's and the other as one's. Then you get get results from 01 to 00 or 100 results and not 19.

If all we do is add the dice there are three ways to get a 2. 1+1, 2+0 and 0+2.

If we do percentile there is only one way to get a 2. 2(ones dice) + 0 (tens dice).

If you get 100 results each result represents 1%. If you get 19 results each result represents roughly 5%.

Good Hunting.

MR

Well each d10 is 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 so there is no 0, but if it were labeled 0-9 you would be correct.

The MAIN difference is that a straight d100 (or percentile reading one die as tens and one as units) is a uniform distribution. I.e. there is as much probability of observing a roll of 100 as there is of observing 13. in 2d10 meaning take two ten sided dice roll them and add, you get a humped distribution. Its much less likely to see the low or high results and much more likely to see results centered on the mean (or expected value which for 2d10 is 11).

So just to be clear, its NOT percentile, its a weighted distribution of probabilities. On easy way to see it is to form a 10x10 Matrix (yeah MATRIX!) and label the rows and columns 1-10 and fill in the entries by summing the row and column numbers. Then you will see a good graphical representation of the probabilities of generating any given result.

Post #: 56
RE: Advanced Third Reich/ World at War - 4/18/2009 12:46:51 AM   
Mad Russian

quote:

Well each d10 is 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 so there is no 0, but if it were labeled 0-9 you would be correct.

Maybe where you live. In more than 35 years of wargaming I've never seen a 10 sided die have anythig but 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 on them. I've never seen the number 10 on a ten side die before.

quote:

The MAIN difference is that a straight d100 (or percentile reading one die as tens and one as units) is a uniform distribution. I.e. there is as much probability of observing a roll of 100 as there is of observing 13. in 2d10 meaning take two ten sided dice roll them and add, you get a humped distribution. Its much less likely to see the low or high results and much more likely to see results centered on the mean (or expected value which for 2d10 is 11).

quote:

So just to be clear, its NOT percentile, its a weighted distribution of probabilities.

Yes, that's right.

quote:

On easy way to see it is to form a 10x10 Matrix (yeah MATRIX!) and label the rows and columns 1-10 and fill in the entries by summing the row and column numbers. Then you will see a good graphical representation of the probabilities of generating any given result.

It's relatively the same as two six sided dice added together.

Only with 19 results instead of 11.

Good Hunting.

MR

(in reply to Mike Parker)
Post #: 57
RE: Advanced Third Reich/ World at War - 4/18/2009 6:03:07 AM   
LiquidSky

How can it be a 10 sided die if it doesnt have a 10 on it? 

Post #: 58
RE: Advanced Third Reich/ World at War - 4/18/2009 1:14:48 PM   
Mad Russian

quote:

ORIGINAL: LiquidSky

How can it be a 10 sided die if it doesnt have a 10 on it? 

It has the number 0 not the number 10.

Good Hunting.

MR

(in reply to LiquidSky)
Post #: 59
RE: Advanced Third Reich/ World at War - 4/18/2009 7:16:51 PM   
willycube

You people amaze this post was about 3rd Reich not a die roll or two die roll or 10 die roll, isnt there a moderator here that can keep some people on track, start a new post on die rolls people please. Could we get back to 3rd Reich or is it over.

Willy

(in reply to MorningDew)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> RE: Advanced Third Reich/ World at War Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI