Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Project Management

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: Project Management Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Project Management - 4/21/2009 8:21:13 AM   
rroberson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Andy Mac

Well 3 reasons being brutally honest

1. that only works if you could get anyone to work on the AI after the game was released as a PBEM only variant -  I am a PBEM junkie so the chances I would devote a fraction of the time I have if it was released and I could actually be playing is pretty low. I would far rather be playing that trying to get the AI working. So if thats my attitude and I am the main AI scripter........

2. Its never been really ready enough

3. Matrix want a product for the whole community not just PBEM so its all or nothing - quite rightly

Understandable I guess.

I have played the AI for about a week back when it first came out. After that its been all online. Frankly, no AI will ever be worth its salt when compared to a real person on the other end. To me its a shame how many resources you have thrown at it attempting to make the AI work. something the bulk of the regulars here (and I am assuming the target audience of the "advanced version" of WITP) will never use.

My biggest fear is you wont conquer that mountain in the near term and we will be set back another year or more while you chase the AI.

(in reply to Andy Mac)
Post #: 31
RE: Project Management - 4/21/2009 8:57:20 AM   
Terminus

That is not, I repeat NOT, going to happen. You can believe that, if you believe nothing else.

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

(in reply to rroberson)
Post #: 32
RE: Project Management - 4/21/2009 12:00:40 PM   
Sardaukar

quote:

ORIGINAL: rroberson

quote:

Well 3 reasons being brutally honest

1. that only works if you could get anyone to work on the AI after the game was released as a PBEM only variant -  I am a PBEM junkie so the chances I would devote a fraction of the time I have if it was released and I could actually be playing is pretty low. I would far rather be playing that trying to get the AI working. So if thats my attitude and I am the main AI scripter........

2. Its never been really ready enough

3. Matrix want a product for the whole community not just PBEM so its all or nothing - quite rightly

Understandable I guess.

I have played the AI for about a week back when it first came out. After that its been all online. Frankly, no AI will ever be worth its salt when compared to a real person on the other end. To me its a shame how many resources you have thrown at it attempting to make the AI work. something the bulk of the regulars here (and I am assuming the target audience of the "advanced version" of WITP) will never use.

My biggest fear is you wont conquer that mountain in the near term and we will be set back another year or more while you chase the AI.

You might be surprised how many people play AI-only games, me included. They probably are lot larger group than PBEM-players, despite PBEM-players being lot more active on forums. I'd think quite big majority of players do not have time for PBEM, especially since it requires regular schedule.

Against AI, I can fire up the game anytime I feel like and have time. I can play for example 1 month of gametime, leave the game for 2 months real time and come back to it.

I, for example, would never buy AE if it was PBEM only. I doubt others would buy a game without AI either.

"To meaningless French Idealism, Liberty, Fraternity and Equality...we answer with German Realism, Infantry, Cavalry and Artillery" -Prince von Bülov, 1870-

(in reply to rroberson)
Post #: 33
RE: Project Management - 4/21/2009 12:10:54 PM   
m10bob

If this is devolving into a poll of who plays what, I am AI only due to RL time-constraints (and fear of losing to so much talent on these forums).

(in reply to Sardaukar)
Post #: 34
RE: Project Management - 4/21/2009 12:29:14 PM   
Andrew Brown

quote:

ORIGINAL: m10bob

If this is devolving into a poll of who plays what, I am AI only due to RL time-constraints (and fear of losing to so much talent on these forums).

Me too, pretty much (and my time constraints are so severe these days that I have a copy for AE on my PC as we speak but I am not playing it! That takes "annoying" to a whole new level).

Andrew

(in reply to m10bob)
Post #: 35
RE: Project Management - 4/21/2009 1:55:53 PM   
erstad

I have bought a *lot* of computer wargames over the years. Maybe 50, depending on how broadly one defines the genre. Witp is the first one I've done PBEM. I played UV against the AI all the time.

None of you had ever heard of me when I played UV. The only reason I ever got on the forums was to find a PBEM partner for Witp. Of course, once I got here you can't shut me up.

My only point is that there is quite likely a silent majority that is playing the game versus the AI. What we see on the forums is a very unrepresentative sample.

Not trying to argue that either AI or PBEM is "better." To me, that's like arguing about whether Guinness Extra Stout or dark chocolate is better. They are both quite good in different circumstances and it doesn't really matter much which is "better."

(in reply to Andrew Brown)
Post #: 36
RE: Project Management - 4/21/2009 1:59:19 PM   
oldspec4

AI only for me for all the same reasons as previously mentioned..

Post #: 37
RE: Project Management - 4/21/2009 3:08:44 PM   
Gunner98

And me. Schedule is far too erratic for PBEM

B

(in reply to oldspec4)
Post #: 38
RE: Project Management - 4/21/2009 3:13:24 PM   
PeteG662

Ditto, AI

(in reply to Gunner98)
Post #: 39
RE: Project Management - 4/21/2009 5:00:06 PM   
Grotius

quote:

To me its a shame how many resources you have thrown at it attempting to make the AI work. something the bulk of the regulars here (and I am assuming the target audience of the "advanced version" of WITP) will never use.

I'm glad the team has devoted these resources. I have played some PBEM, but of late it's been all AI, because my schedule has been erratic.

(in reply to PeteG662)
Post #: 40
RE: Project Management - 4/21/2009 5:04:14 PM   
Andy Mac

So in general we are working on the AI and the game gets released when its ready and hopefully not to far away

(in reply to Grotius)
Post #: 41
RE: Project Management - 4/21/2009 5:36:19 PM   
rroberson

Well shut my mouth I honestly believed that the majority here were PBEMers.

I guess I never really felt the AI in vanilla was overly bright or challenging so I couldn't imagine anyone playing it long term.

Im use to losing so when IM beating the AI to death...

Like I said Im here waiting like every one else for the advanced version...even have one of my opponents lined up. So, give me give me give me.

(in reply to Andy Mac)
Post #: 42
RE: Project Management - 4/21/2009 6:00:10 PM   
AirGriff

I vote for more delays.  How on Earth would I be expected to finish my current PBEM with AE loaded on my computer taunting me every minute of every day??  I have been playing my current game for well over a year and am at the end of '43, so I need another year at least to finish the game.  So, in the interest of my self serving self, I would like to request another 12 month delay...just to sharpen things up a bit

(in reply to rroberson)
Post #: 43
RE: Project Management - 4/21/2009 6:04:40 PM   
witpqs

quote:

So in general we are working on the AI and the game gets released when its ready and hopefully not to far away

If you finish it soon there's a donut in it for you...

(in reply to Andy Mac)
Post #: 44
RE: Project Management - 4/21/2009 6:22:24 PM   
m10bob

quote:

ORIGINAL: Andrew Brown

quote:

Me too, pretty much (and my time constraints are so severe these days that I have a copy for AE on my PC as we speak but I am not playing it! That takes "annoying" to a whole new level).

Andrew

You......have AE............on your 'puter.....................and you......(of all people).........are not playing it?.........................Aww, now that just goes waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay beyond annoying!......... You are being the little kid eating ice cream at the window with we slobbering and hungry bums outside, looking in!.....

Post #: 45
RE: Project Management - 4/21/2009 6:24:24 PM   
Terminus

I'm not playing my copy either, Bob...

(in reply to m10bob)
Post #: 46
RE: Project Management - 4/21/2009 6:40:27 PM   
m10bob

quote:

ORIGINAL: Terminus

Well....Yeah, T, but YOU have that reputation to live up to!

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 47
RE: Project Management - 4/21/2009 6:41:21 PM   
Terminus

Or down to, as the case may be...

(in reply to m10bob)
Post #: 48
RE: Project Management - 4/21/2009 6:47:30 PM   
Barb

Just to get an image:
How many WITP games were sold approximately?
To get the number of potential players and compare it with say thousand on this forum...

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 49
RE: Project Management - 4/21/2009 6:48:38 PM   
witpqs

So T,

If you're not playing your copy then send it this way and I'll give it a real thorough like testing.

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 50
RE: Project Management - 4/21/2009 6:49:12 PM   
Terminus

Sure...

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 51
RE: Project Management - 4/21/2009 6:49:58 PM   
m10bob

quote:

ORIGINAL: witpqs

So T,

If you're not playing your copy then send it this way and I'll give it a real thorough like testing.

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 52
RE: Project Management - 4/21/2009 6:51:13 PM   
vettim89

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Andrew Brown

quote:

Andrew

You......have AE............on your 'puter.....................and you......(of all people).........are not playing it?.........................Aww, now that just goes waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay beyond annoying!......... You are being the little kid eating ice cream at the window with we slobbering and hungry bums outside, looking in!.....

Eddie Murphy: I got some iiiiiiice cream, I got some iiiiiiice cream, and you don't have none, cause you on da welfare and you father's an alcohooooooolic

"We have met the enemy and they are ours" - Commodore O.H. Perry

(in reply to m10bob)
Post #: 53
RE: Project Management - 4/21/2009 6:53:16 PM   
Terminus

quote:

ORIGINAL: Barb

Just to get an image:
How many WITP games were sold approximately?
To get the number of potential players and compare it with say thousand on this forum...

Matrix has always had the policy to never disclose their sales, so there's no point in waiting for anybody else to answer this one...

(in reply to Barb)
Post #: 54
RE: Project Management - 4/21/2009 6:59:23 PM   
Roughtor

there should be a special opponents wanted section for "erratic schedule PBEMers" ...  why waste couple weeks vs AI every couple weeks, when you could be doing the same vs. another erratic schedule opponent...    perhaps there should be a rotation of erratic PBEMers in such games

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 55
RE: Project Management - 4/21/2009 7:00:50 PM   
m10bob

quote:

You guys keep him talkin'...I just about got his grid coordinates down!

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 56
RE: Project Management - 4/21/2009 7:02:33 PM   
Barb

Well, if it is Matrix decision to make AEs AI working, they should know what they are doing considering the AE selling 

(in reply to m10bob)
Post #: 57
RE: Project Management - 4/21/2009 7:13:13 PM   
witpqs

quote:

quote:

You guys keep him talkin'...I just about got his grid coordinates down!

Got him: 5°17′38″N 52°35′0″W

(in reply to m10bob)
Post #: 58
RE: Project Management - 4/21/2009 8:05:35 PM   
Terminus

Whoops! Missed!

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 59
RE: Project Management - 4/21/2009 8:08:16 PM   
wworld7

quote:

Whoops! Missed!

All you have to do is follow the trail of cookie crumbs, empty beer bottles and empty ice cream containers....at the end you will find Terminus. Now whether his computer is "there" is a whole other issue....

< Message edited by flipperwasirish -- 4/22/2009 12:13:02 AM >

Flipper

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: Project Management Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI