Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

HOW TO USE THE EDITOR

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Empires in Arms the Napoleonic Wars of 1805 - 1815 >> HOW TO USE THE EDITOR Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
HOW TO USE THE EDITOR - 5/2/2009 9:15:29 AM   
hellfirejet

Hello guys if there are any gamers who have successfully managed to edit ,save & load new scenarios, it would be greatly appreciated by me and others I'm sure, if you could pass on your knowledge on how too complete the task off using the editor.

I personally have tried on three occassions without success, I can get into the editor no problems, I can rename my new scenario and give it a description, alter some Infantry factor sizes and fleet sizes,but when it comes to loading my saved scenario nope not working, I must be missing something basic that I just can't see help!

Marshall any chance of a step by step guide for using the editor ?

< Message edited by hellfirejet -- 5/2/2009 9:35:00 AM >

Regards,
Graham.

I'm not retreating, I'm attacking in a different direction! Lewis B. "Chesty" Puller
Post #: 1
RE: HOW TO USE THE EDITOR - 5/2/2009 2:26:53 PM   
Marshall Ellis

Hfj:

You should be able to select your scenario at the new game screen?
Can you not?

Thank you

Marshall Ellis
Outflank Strategy War Games

(in reply to hellfirejet)
Post #: 2
RE: HOW TO USE THE EDITOR - 5/2/2009 3:32:50 PM   
pzgndr

I am having similar problem.  Even a simple test scenario started as a new campaign and saved shows up as a selectable scenario but will not load.  First error message says "Unable to Load Scenario."  Click OK and next error message says "Scenario Not Found!  Wargame System Engine did not find the requested Scenario!  Please contact technical support..."  I even did a clean install of EiANW and the v1.06 patch and still get the errors.  Something is not right.

(in reply to Marshall Ellis)
Post #: 3
RE: HOW TO USE THE EDITOR - 5/2/2009 4:10:06 PM   
Marshall Ellis

Looking at this...

Thank you

Marshall Ellis

(in reply to pzgndr)
Post #: 4
RE: HOW TO USE THE EDITOR - 5/2/2009 4:16:06 PM   
Marshall Ellis

It looks like it is working on my end???
Stupid question BUT are you guys saving the scenario? I ask this because it looks like it is possible to have it listed in the contents BUT no files are created if it is not saved?

Thank you

Marshall Ellis

Post #: 5
RE: HOW TO USE THE EDITOR - 5/2/2009 4:34:06 PM   
pzgndr

I am using the editor save feature and the scenario name asterisk goes away.  So I assume it is being saved, not sure where?  I am using Vista if that matters. 

Post #: 6
RE: HOW TO USE THE EDITOR - 5/2/2009 5:24:41 PM   
hellfirejet

quote:

ORIGINAL: Marshall Ellis

Hfj:

You should be able to select your scenario at the new game screen?
Can you not?

Hi Marshall,
Nope only the 2 in game scenarios are available to select, I'm using VISTA don't know if the problem lies there, I even tried just naming a new scenario and saved that but, I still can't load it ?

Regards,
Graham.

I'm not retreating, I'm attacking in a different direction! Lewis B. "Chesty" Puller

Post #: 7
RE: HOW TO USE THE EDITOR - 5/2/2009 9:04:54 PM   
Marshall Ellis

This is sounding more like a Vista issue???
I am having the testers look a little deeper into this!
Will advise...

Thank you

Marshall Ellis

Post #: 8
RE: HOW TO USE THE EDITOR - 5/3/2009 1:42:40 AM   
Taijian

Well, I'm using XP and I have the same problem...

First, after hitting 'save' the asterix goes away - when I then return to the main menue, the scenario's not there. After exiting the program and starting anew, the scenario is then there. However, when trying to start, I get 'files not found' and the program crashes.

Post #: 9
RE: HOW TO USE THE EDITOR - 5/3/2009 10:37:14 PM   
hellfirejet

Hi Marshall,

While using the editor, when you alter any factors both the text and background turns white, with the result that what you are inputing is invisible untill you press enter, can you please alter the foreground or background fonts so that we can see what we are editing.

On the plus side I really like the ability to create and name historical fleets sizes.Example for my British 1st heavy fleet, I renamed it the Channel fleet with a heavy max of 50 a light max of 20 with 10 transports, and my second main fleet the Mediteranean fleet max 40 heavies with 10 lights and 5 transports, I love the idea of having fleet counters with a mix of ships within it, I guess that is what the original Empire in Arms fleet counters represented.

< Message edited by hellfirejet -- 5/3/2009 10:56:29 PM >

Regards,
Graham.

Post #: 10
RE: HOW TO USE THE EDITOR - 5/4/2009 2:35:10 AM   
Thresh

HFJ,

Have you considered the Political Point ramifications of your mod?

Todd

Post #: 11
RE: HOW TO USE THE EDITOR - 5/4/2009 8:27:46 AM   
hellfirejet

quote:

ORIGINAL: Thresh

HFJ,

Todd

Hi Todd,
I have increased French,Spanish & Russian fleets too, the British fleet size max is historicaly acurate, for the Channel & Mediteranean fleets, from the start of the Napoleonic wars Britain had 130 heavies and ended the Napoleonic wars with 220 heavies approx.
As for political points thats swings and roundabouts, some battles you win some you loose, any way there are enough land battles in the game that has France gaining political points for wins, it's all conjecture at this point, for up till now I have been unable to test my mods in action, because the game won't load my scenarios, problem with the editor.

Regards,
Graham.

(in reply to Thresh)
Post #: 12
RE: HOW TO USE THE EDITOR - 5/4/2009 11:19:40 PM   
Thresh

So the answer is no then.

OK, let me ask you this:

Say I am Spain, and I am fighting Turkey and Britain.

Tell me why beating an English Fleet with 50 ships in it should earn me less VP than beating three Turkish fleets with a total of 30 ships?

Todd

Post #: 13
RE: HOW TO USE THE EDITOR - 5/6/2009 12:49:28 PM   
pzgndr

quote:

The naval losses PPs in the game should be revised so that smaller cheaper light fleets are not equal to heavy fleets. Then EiANW and mods would make some more sense.

quote:

Channel fleet with a heavy max of 50

hellfirejet, weren't you the one suggesting naval stacking limits to restrict having too many ships in a combat?? It's an interesting mod idea, but again the game should be revised first with a proportional losses option before this or any mod can be assessed. After we get the editor working...

Post #: 14
RE: HOW TO USE THE EDITOR - 5/6/2009 2:06:09 PM   
hellfirejet

quote:

ORIGINAL: pzgndr

quote:

The naval losses PPs in the game should be revised so that smaller cheaper light fleets are not equal to heavy fleets. Then EiANW and mods would make some more sense.

quote:

Channel fleet with a heavy max of 50

hellfirejet, weren't you the one suggesting naval stacking limits to restrict having too many ships in a combat?? It's an interesting mod idea, but again the game should be revised first with a proportional losses option before this or any mod can be assessed. After we get the editor working...

Yo pzgndr,
Yes I'm for reducing the amount of fleets per stack, the editor allows for historicaly accurate fleet sizes, as per the Channel fleet 50 heavies max! Just because the max is 50 does not mean it would be at full strenght in practice,but the Channel fleet was always Britains strongest fleet in history,it's main roll was to stop invasion.

My main idea behind it is this, I treat the heavy fleet counters as per the editor a mix of heavies and lights, ie main fleets, where as I treat the light fleet counters as squadrons as per the editor heavy and light ship type mix.

So the main heavy fleets different sizes for different Nations, could be anything from 20 - 50 heavies with between 10 - 20 lights within the fleet.

As for the light fleet counters, they would be classified as squadron's in size with between 5 - 10 heavies max, and 1 - 5 light ship types within the fleet, as per the editor,as most naval battles were of squadron size during the Napoleonic wars, this Idea I feel would lead to more naval combat in the game?

This idea is a work in progress because as yet I have not managed to get the editor to load after editing,so I have been unable to try out the theory in practice.

< Message edited by hellfirejet -- 5/6/2009 2:59:25 PM >

Regards,
Graham.

(in reply to pzgndr)
Post #: 15
RE: HOW TO USE THE EDITOR - 5/6/2009 2:23:07 PM   
hellfirejet

quote:

So the answer is no then.

OK, let me ask you this:

Say I am Spain, and I am fighting Turkey and Britain.

Tell me why beating an English Fleet with 50 ships in it should earn me less VP than beating three Turkish fleets with a total of 30 ships?

Todd

Hi Todd,
I think any large naval engagement should be the same VP for a win no matter which Nation is involved, also smaller naval engagements should have reduced VP but otherwise the same as above.

Regards,
Graham.

(in reply to Thresh)
Post #: 16
RE: HOW TO USE THE EDITOR - 5/6/2009 11:30:02 PM   
Thresh

HFJ,

So, If I beat 50 ships or 30 ships I should get the same VP, no matter how many Fleets are involved?

You do realize thats a fundamental break from the core mechanics of the game?

Todd

Post #: 17
RE: HOW TO USE THE EDITOR - 5/7/2009 8:01:54 AM   
hellfirejet

quote:

HFJ,

So, If I beat 50 ships or 30 ships I should get the same VP, no matter how many Fleets are involved?

You do realize thats a fundamental break from the core mechanics of the game?

Todd

Ok Todd,
I will state my case from the historical point of view,Britains Channel fleet was always her strongest fleet,and was in effect Britains goal keeper!

The size of the fleet forced any foreign Nation to combine there strength, this is were Britains other fleets come in to play, they acted as the defence in front of the goalkeeper, to blockade the ports of Britains enemys, so that they would be hard pressed in any attempt to combine there fleets.

This tactic worked very well for Britain, because no fleets actually ever engaged the Channel fleet, they were stopped by Britains defender fleets, in the case of Trafalgar by Nelson with the Mediterranean fleet,which was Britains second largest fleet.

So to answer your question in regards VP or PPs or whatever,they should be on a sliding scale depending on the the size of the battle.

That being said this debate is detracting from the purpose of this thread, which is to do with the problems gamers are having in using the editor. As it stands I can't put my saved scenarios in to practice, because the editor is not working for me yet.

< Message edited by hellfirejet -- 10/6/2009 9:44:20 PM >

Regards,
Graham.

(in reply to Thresh)
Post #: 18
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Empires in Arms the Napoleonic Wars of 1805 - 1815 >> HOW TO USE THE EDITOR Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI