Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: BFTB (Mini-Guide): Material TBD

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Discontinued Games] >> Command Ops Series >> RE: BFTB (Mini-Guide): Material TBD Page: <<   < prev  3 4 5 6 [7]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: BFTB (Mini-Guide): Material TBD - 5/28/2010 1:48:05 PM   
MarkShot

James,

I haven't tried Vista or Win7. But in XP, you can do it through the Task Manager.

For years, I have been using an excellent free utility to load balance on my 4 processor machine and typically games run on their own dedicated processor. I basically have a rule database that I hand crafted for how I use my machine: 1-OS, 2-Apps, 3-Background game utilities, 4-Games. It works nicely for me. So, HTTR/COTA/BFTB I run on 3+4.

http://www.bill2-software.com/processmanager/

(於 11/13/21 台北,台灣,中國退休)

(in reply to James Sterrett)
Post #: 181
RE: BFTB (Mini-Guide): Material TBD - 5/28/2010 2:16:26 PM   
James Sterrett

Thanks Mark! 

(in reply to MarkShot)
Post #: 182
RE: BFTB (Mini-Guide): Material TBD - 5/28/2010 2:16:32 PM   
Arjuna

James,

The OS does this automatically by default. You can get5 some third party tools which allow you to override this. Ask MarkShot.

Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
www.panthergames.com

Post #: 183
RE: BFTB (Mini-Guide): Material TBD - 5/28/2010 4:17:33 PM   
Henri

quote:

ORIGINAL: James Sterrett

Question from the clueless:

How do I allocate processors to programs?

For Windows XP/Vista/7, access Affinity by opening the Windows Task Manager (CTL+ALT+DEL, or right-click on Task Bar), select "Processes" tab, right-click the application process you wish to isolate, then select "Set Affinity." Inside the Processor Affinity dialog, un-check the CPU/cores you do not need to use. This effectively isolates that application to the selected CPUs/cores preventing cache spanning and reducing process-switching and simplifies your ability to supervise CPU/core allocation for multiple programs.

Examples of use: Graphics intensive applications where multi-threading is not very effective, you can run multiple instances of that application rendering sequential image frames better allocating the system's threads. With Affinity set, the multiple instances will not step on one another making the rendering process more efficient.
(from Wikipedia "process affinity")

Henri

Post #: 184
RE: BFTB (Mini-Guide): Material TBD - 5/28/2010 4:38:54 PM   
James Sterrett

! Thanks!  Time to do some reading. 

(in reply to Henri)
Post #: 185
RE: BFTB (Mini-Guide): Material TBD - 7/18/2011 3:10:54 PM   
johnterry807

Hi,
I am also very interested in this subject, but the reference is very limited. You can share documents as well as experience? Thanks!

(in reply to dogancan)
Post #: 186
RE: BFTB (Mini-Guide): Material TBD - 7/18/2011 3:18:22 PM   
MarkShot

John,

I started this thread, but never really followed through with it. I no longer play games anymore as more pressing life concerns overtook my hobbies.

However, if you look in the HTTR and COTA forums you will find 3 very extensive threads of training material. They comprise about 300 pages if they were to be printed (also available as a PDF download). They are, at least, 80% pertinent to BFTB as well.

Enjoy the series!

PS: Panther did put the training videos for BFTB in the public domain and I think there is a demo. They are also other options if you haven't bought any of the games yet and want to get some sense of the series.

(於 11/13/21 台北,台灣,中國退休)

(in reply to johnterry807)
Post #: 187
Page:   <<   < prev  3 4 5 6 [7]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Discontinued Games] >> Command Ops Series >> RE: BFTB (Mini-Guide): Material TBD Page: <<   < prev  3 4 5 6 [7]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI