Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Tora, Tora, Tora!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: Tora, Tora, Tora! Page: <<   < prev  6 7 [8] 9 10   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Tora, Tora, Tora! - 5/20/2009 5:37:15 AM   
Kull

Welcome to the boards, Mojo! I think the motto in this place is "Abandon life, all ye who enter here".

(in reply to mojoman68)
Post #: 211
RE: Tora, Tora, Tora! - 5/21/2009 12:15:52 AM   
erstad

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kull

Welcome to the boards, Mojo! I think the motto in this place is "Abandon life, all ye who enter here".

There's absolutely no truth to this. Witp/AE is life.

(in reply to Kull)
Post #: 212
RE: Tora, Tora, Tora! - 5/21/2009 12:16:49 AM   
Terminus

Oh, you have NO idea...

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

(in reply to erstad)
Post #: 213
RE: Tora, Tora, Tora! - 5/21/2009 1:17:16 AM   
Yamato hugger

BTW, just to update you, the dev forum has been looking into the PH attack (sigh, again), and Tree did 20 test runs. This was his result:

Total 1-20

2- 6 BB sunk
3- 5 BB sunk
2- 4 BB Sunk
5- 3 BB sunk
5- 2 BB sunk
1- 1 BB sunk
2- 0 BB sunk

So in 40% of his test runs, he scored the "historical" 2 BBs sunk or less. 50% of his test were either 2 or 3 BBs. So dont take the 7 I sank in this game as "typical"

Also note, in NONE of his 20 runs did he get 7 or 8, so I was very lucky.

< Message edited by Yamato hugger -- 5/21/2009 1:19:09 AM >

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 214
RE: Tora, Tora, Tora! - 5/21/2009 2:54:32 AM   
kfmiller41

That means with my luck I will be looking at the lower edge of that range (sigh) and here I was hoping to sink everything the the harbor

You have the ability to arouse various emotions in me: please select carefully.

(in reply to Yamato hugger)
Post #: 215
RE: Tora, Tora, Tora! - 5/21/2009 4:15:15 AM   
Chad Harrison

quote:

ORIGINAL: Yamato hugger

That reminds me of something a couple of dev's said in this thread and others . . . what was it? Oh yes, dont base the entire AE engine on a single result of a single battle?

Amazing what happens when you listen to the people who built the game and have been playing it for the past couple of years . . .

Post #: 216
RE: Tora, Tora, Tora! - 5/21/2009 6:08:56 AM   
Tophat1815

Fellas,fellas what do you expect? People are all keyed-up and ready to go for AE. This latest unpleasantness is simply the pressure release valve in operation. Don't read too much into people acting off kilter.

(in reply to Chad Harrison)
Post #: 217
RE: Tora, Tora, Tora! - 5/21/2009 1:40:14 PM   
traskott

Excellent thread. Waiting for the next update...

(in reply to Tophat1815)
Post #: 218
RE: Tora, Tora, Tora! - 5/21/2009 4:34:57 PM   
Yamato hugger

quote:

ORIGINAL: traskott

Will be later tonight. Just got home from a 13 hour "day" and downloading the latest patch as I speak. Bed time.

(in reply to traskott)
Post #: 219
RE: Tora, Tora, Tora! - 5/21/2009 4:36:46 PM   
Flying Tiger

quote:

BTW, just to update you, the dev forum has been looking into the PH attack (sigh, again), and Tree did 20 test runs. This was his result:

Total 1-20

2- 6 BB sunk
3- 5 BB sunk
2- 4 BB Sunk
5- 3 BB sunk
5- 2 BB sunk
1- 1 BB sunk
2- 0 BB sunk

So in 40% of his test runs, he scored the "historical" 2 BBs sunk or less. 50% of his test were either 2 or 3 BBs. So dont take the 7 I sank in this game as "typical"

so now we can say a big 'thanks for nothing' to all the whingers, who not only prevented this AAR from progressing (because tree got sidetracked re-running turn one 20 times) but also for delaying the release while all the dev team ran around responding to the panic merchants who were screaming "its broken, its broken". Now.... enough whinging. play the AAR. Release the game. Enough said!!

Post #: 220
RE: Tora, Tora, Tora! - 5/21/2009 4:59:47 PM   
Chad Harrison

quote:

ORIGINAL: Flying Tiger

so now we can say a big 'thanks for nothing' to all the whingers, who not only prevented this AAR from progressing (because tree got sidetracked re-running turn one 20 times) but also for delaying the release while all the dev team ran around responding to the panic merchants who were screaming "its broken, its broken".

(in reply to Flying Tiger)
Post #: 221
RE: Tora, Tora, Tora! - 5/21/2009 5:01:09 PM   
Terminus

Pitchforks and torches at the exits. Help yourselves...

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

(in reply to Chad Harrison)
Post #: 222
RE: Tora, Tora, Tora! - 5/21/2009 7:49:55 PM   
Tophat1815

quote:

quote:

Total 1-20

2- 6 BB sunk
3- 5 BB sunk
2- 4 BB Sunk
5- 3 BB sunk
5- 2 BB sunk
1- 1 BB sunk
2- 0 BB sunk

so now we can say a big 'thanks for nothing' to all the whingers, who not only prevented this AAR from progressing (because tree got sidetracked re-running turn one 20 times) but also for delaying the release while all the dev team ran around responding to the panic merchants who were screaming "its broken, its broken". Now.... enough whinging. play the AAR. Release the game. Enough said!!

Post #: 223
RE: Tora, Tora, Tora! - 5/21/2009 8:39:29 PM   
Don Bowen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Terminus

Sorry, due to unexpectedly high demand and limited supply, we can only provide torches for every fourth villager or farmer. There are enough pitchforks for approximately half of the expected mob, the rest must use rakes and the odd hoe.

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 224
RE: Tora, Tora, Tora! - 5/21/2009 8:47:20 PM   
fabertong

quote:

ORIGINAL: Don Bowen

quote:

Sorry, due to unexpectedly high demand and limited supply, we can only provide torches for every fourth villager or farmer. There are enough pitchforks for approximately half of the expected mob, the rest must use rakes and the odd hoe.

Fantastic.............I'm great with a hoe.............

(in reply to Don Bowen)
Post #: 225
RE: Tora, Tora, Tora! - 5/21/2009 8:50:27 PM   
NormS3

can i wait for another torch to be available?

I don't want to burn anything, just wave it around and stuff

(in reply to Don Bowen)
Post #: 226
RE: Tora, Tora, Tora! - 5/21/2009 8:51:45 PM   
Don Bowen

quote:

ORIGINAL: fabertong

quote:

quote:

with an odd hoe??

(in reply to fabertong)
Post #: 227
RE: Tora, Tora, Tora! - 5/21/2009 9:03:56 PM   
fabertong

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

with an odd hoe??

Just how odd?!?!!?!?

(in reply to Don Bowen)
Post #: 228
RE: Tora, Tora, Tora! - 5/21/2009 9:16:03 PM   
Don Bowen

quote:

Just how odd?!?!!?!?

One of the ergonomically shaped ones with the wierd handle that looks like it would be comfortable but ends up straining your back and raising calluses at unexpected spots.

(in reply to fabertong)
Post #: 229
RE: Tora, Tora, Tora! - 5/21/2009 9:20:04 PM   
fabertong

quote:

quote:

Just how odd?!?!!?!?

One of the ergonomically shaped ones with the wierd handle that looks like it would be comfortable but ends up straining your back and raising calluses at unexpected spots.

By some chance.................I have flippers........so I can wield this hoe to great effect...........bring on the nay-sayers..........

(in reply to Don Bowen)
Post #: 230
RE: Tora, Tora, Tora! - 5/21/2009 9:37:43 PM   
kriegmarine

quote:

ORIGINAL: traskott

I see familiar faces around here,.......As I would have liked sunk you 8 bb

(in reply to traskott)
Post #: 231
RE: Tora, Tora, Tora! - 5/21/2009 10:33:24 PM   
Splinterhead

quote:

If the game gives a 60% chance that the Japanese will do better than they did historically,
it is, arguably, broken. ( Of course the fact that the game assumes that all the Kates carried either 800kg bombs or torpedoes when, in fact about a third carried smaller bombs, one should expect the Japanese to do better.) The only rational solution is to scrap the current, horribly botched mess and start over.

Post #: 232
RE: Tora, Tora, Tora! - 5/21/2009 10:35:05 PM   
Don Bowen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Splinterhead

quote:

If the game gives a 60% chance that the Japanese will do better than they did historically,
it is, arguably, broken. ( Of course the fact that the game assumes that all the Kates carried either 800kg bombs or torpedoes when, in fact about a third carried smaller bombs, one should expect the Japanese to do better.) The only rational solution is to scrap the current, horribly botched mess and start over.

Works for me. Check back in a couple of years.

(in reply to Splinterhead)
Post #: 233
RE: Tora, Tora, Tora! - 5/21/2009 11:29:47 PM   
n01487477

On any given day anything can happen, this is one turn on one day ... why gamble? why watch sport? why wake up in the morning? hell its because there is unpredictability in the system. Want predictability ? Be with the wrong girl and watch your life, money and 'luggage' vaporise.

Please get on with the AAR ...

Post #: 234
RE: Tora, Tora, Tora! - 5/21/2009 11:31:40 PM   
wworld7

quote:

Works for me. Check back in a couple of years.

Which would be when WITP-2 would be entering the Alpha phase...RIGHT?

Flipper

(in reply to Don Bowen)
Post #: 235
RE: Tora, Tora, Tora! - 5/22/2009 12:08:26 AM   
erstad

quote:

it is, arguably, broken.

I hope this is tongue-in-cheek, but if not there is a gap in the logic. This statement would only be true if the historical result was exactly the expected median result. If in a particular engagement the Japanese got "lucky", then the game engine is only accurate if a typical game result is less favorable than historical (to Japan). If the Japanese were "unlucky" then an accurate game engine would have a typical game result which is more favorable than historical.

Post #: 236
RE: Tora, Tora, Tora! - 5/22/2009 2:22:56 AM   
Yamato hugger

Well, in truth 4 BBs "sank" at Pearl. 2 were re-floated and repaired. So in my personal opinion, anything between 2 and 4 is "historical". Doesnt mean a player shouldnt be able to achieve less than 2 or more than 4. Just that to me 2, 3, or 4 should be expected. In that regard, Trees result achieved a 60% right on the money mark, which is probably all a player should hope for. Of course this debate could rage until the end of time. I believe someone is working on a Dec 8th scenario which when I played "stock" the Dec 8th scenario is about all I played.

(in reply to erstad)
Post #: 237
RE: Tora, Tora, Tora! - 5/22/2009 2:23:12 AM   
Panther Bait

Thank you Erstad for the being the voice of reason.

Mike

When you shoot at a destroyer and miss, it's like hit'in a wildcat in the ass with a banjo.

Nathan Dogan, USS Gurnard

(in reply to erstad)
Post #: 238
RE: Tora, Tora, Tora! - 5/22/2009 2:52:12 AM   
Yamato hugger

Several surface engagements with ships fleeing Hong Kong resulted in the loss of several AKs. He lost a PT and a DD was on fire from a sinle hit. A Jap PT (pictured) killed a large AK!
A transport group of 3 AKs fleeing Manila was attacked and destroyed south of Luzon by Formosa based Bettys as was a pair of PGs by aircraft from the Ryujo.
2 coastal minesweepers and an AVP were sunk by planes from the KB in the PH area.
Landings continued at Kota Bharu (no attack) and an attack at Pengpu by the 13th bde in China drove the 89th Chinese corps back.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 239
RE: Tora, Tora, Tora! - 5/22/2009 2:55:57 AM   
Mad66

quote:

Well, in truth 4 BBs "sank" at Pearl. 2 were re-floated and repaired. So in my personal opinion, anything between 2 and 4 is "historical". Doesnt mean a player shouldnt be able to achieve less than 2 or more than 4. Just that to me 2, 3, or 4 should be expected. In that regard, Trees result achieved a 60% right on the money mark, which is probably all a player should hope for. Of course this debate could rage until the end of time. I believe someone is working on a Dec 8th scenario which when I played "stock" the Dec 8th scenario is about all I played.

I too would love a Dec 8th scenario, though it can certainly wait till after release. This project looks more awesome, even with what couldn't be done within the necessary constraints, each day.

Post #: 240
Page:   <<   < prev  6 7 [8] 9 10   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: Tora, Tora, Tora! Page: <<   < prev  6 7 [8] 9 10   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI