Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

v4.040 GG 42 scenario

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's World at War: A World Divided >> Opponents Wanted >> v4.040 GG 42 scenario Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
v4.040 GG 42 scenario - 5/17/2009 6:01:40 PM   
SGT Rice

I'd like to give this one a spin ... any takers?
Post #: 1
RE: v4.040 GG 42 scenario - 5/25/2009 11:13:25 PM   
xianing

I have tried this scenario with someone. I think the conclusion is Axis has too much advantage as they attack in the first turn and they know where are WA units. And they can load if the first attack is not favorable for them.
So I think a better rule is Axis do not allowed to launch any attack in the first turn, but just to prepare attack and defence. Although with this rule a 50 Germany production and 25 Japan production made Axis in a much better position than most Games which have start from 1939.
Do someone know if in real 1942 Soviet has less army than Germany ? I also doubt this in the 42 scenario.

(in reply to SGT Rice)
Post #: 2
RE: v4.040 GG 42 scenario - 6/6/2009 2:02:36 AM   
Petiloup

What is certain is that in 1942 the German army is still stronger than any other army.

At the start of the 1942 offensive in the East the Russian army did choose to retreat full speed and started to fight back only in Stalingrad and in the mountains of the Caucasus. Winter 1942 ended in disaster as we all know but in 1943 it was still quite balanced between the Red Army and the Whermacht. Kursk was another waste of troops and tanks for Germany with no gains while the Russian industry was building more than Germany could do.

Germany advantages were quality of troops training and quality of the command but this was compromised by Hitler meddling into the Army decisions.

With Albert Speer reorganizing the production and if the Whermacht Generals could have implemented the Elastic defense they were so good at (retreat first, let the attack loose momentum, counterattack Blitzkrieg style) then maybe Russia would have been exhausted before reaching Berlin.

On the West the Allies weren't nowhere in 1942. Few troops with no experience, no clear superiority yet but US industry could afford anything. Italy was still in the war and the Afrika Korps was still in Lybia. Operation Torch was still a shaky success taking quite a bit of time to free Tunisia. Even Normandy was a victory with a big help from Hitler believing till Operation Cobra that Normandy was a mere diversion.

What is very hard to represent in this game using Regions instead of Hexes is the huge amount of territory you need to cross in Russia to go anywhere and how Russia would pour troops in the fight with total disregard of human life.

Without Hitler commanding the Armies and declaring War to the US in December 1941, Germany could still have prevailed against Russia. Luckily it didn't went that way.

(in reply to xianing)
Post #: 3
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's World at War: A World Divided >> Opponents Wanted >> v4.040 GG 42 scenario Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI