Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Information supply and game interface

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> Information supply and game interface Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Information supply and game interface - 5/25/2002 2:45:46 AM   
HMSWarspite

Hi - I love UV, but there are a few features that I think could be better, and will need to be better for WiTP if the player is not to be swamped.
- the ship list ought to give ammo state or at least sub torpedo state. I play the subs on manual, and it is a real pain having to check each one in turn to see if they need to go home.
- the aircraft list ought to show pilot average skill, morale and fatigue (pain as above to cycle sqds)
- the game would be really enhanced by a configuable 'things that need your attention' screen. You could select what you want on it, say from TF low on endurance, or ammo, bases with red Aviation, support, supply less than 2 days, or whatever, and then each turn you could use this as a quick memory jog (it should be cleared each turn - if the problem is still there, it would be re-generated.
- a notification of TF arrival, or change in state (heading home, or reacting to enemy etc) would be good, altough this could be the same as my last point.
- the ability to cycle around ALL TF, or land units, or air, rather than just ones in the same hex (on the detail screens)
- when creating a task force, selecting done on the ship select screen should take you to the TF screen, not the base screen, since you almost always want to do something with the TF once you have created it? (I am too forgetful to creat all 6 TF or whatever, then cycle around them giving orders!)

I know people are managing, and so am I, but I suspect that the people who would do best in UV (and Witp) are the ones who are willing to painstakingly check everything all the time (or are Mogami!):). Us mortals, being fallable, forget our sub one extra turn, over use the air, etc, and will be beaten by the staff work of the opposition. I know this could be seen as valid - but I think you will get a better penetration outside us grogs if you give the players a little help to manage the depth... You don't have to use the extra help;)

UV is still playable without all this, but I would really push it to all my casual wargamer friends if it had some of the above.

I have a cunning plan, My Lord
Post #: 1
- 5/25/2002 2:49:44 AM   
Preacher

Good points. One addition - in the same vein:

* Add a single line on the air group main screen that gives the avg fatigue of the pilots in that group. As it stands, you have to go one level 'deeper' to find this.

Preacher

(in reply to HMSWarspite)
Post #: 2
- 5/25/2002 2:56:19 AM   
IChristie

I think these are very useful suggestions.

Although not directly involved, I sense that the user interface was one of the aspects of the game that received a GREAT deal of attention. I think it is quite an achievement that the amount of detail has been made as manageable as it is. However, I would tend to agree with you that finding ways of making the "staff work" easier is an area that might have some benefits for for WITP (just because of the expanded scope of the game).

Anyone else have suggestions in this particular area (as opposed to points regarding game mechanics, historical accuracy, play balance, etc.)?

Iain Christie
-----------------
"If patience is a virtue then persistence is it's part.
It's better to light a candle than stand and curse the dark"

- James Keelaghan

Post #: 3
yup... - 5/25/2002 5:21:56 AM   
malvoisin

1. since different ships have different endurance levels, there should be some way to 'normalize' the data, like display the endurance as current/max or as a percentage of the total.

2. getting rid of unnecessary data in the display screens, like speeds in knots and range information in miles, etc.. would be helpful. it's great to have that in the database for fun and flavor, but since the information displays are (by necessity) fairly busy to begin with, i would think that it is important keep the entirely superfluous data to a minimum.

3. it would be super neat if the database had a browser like interface to it. and if i could get to it from the main menu.

4. i'd also like to be able to browse the task forces that are located in a port from the main info window (i can only get planes, anchored ships, and land units.)

Post #: 4
Re: yup... - 5/25/2002 6:08:25 AM   
HMSWarspite

[QUOTE]Originally posted by malvoisin
[B]

2. getting rid of unnecessary data in the display screens, like speeds in knots and range information in miles, etc.. would be helpful. it's great to have that in the database for fun and flavor, but since the information displays are (by necessity) fairly busy to begin with, i would think that it is important keep the entirely superfluous data to a minimum.

SNIP
4. i'd also like to be able to browse the task forces that are located in a port from the main info window (i can only get planes, anchored ships, and land units.) [/B][/QUOTE]

I like the miles/knots (gives me flavour). A button on the main base window for TF would be logical.

I have a cunning plan, My Lord

Post #: 5
User Interface - 5/25/2002 7:09:34 AM   
pad152

I like the game and discover something new each time I play, but sometimes I feel like I'm fighting the game as well as the Japs. I think the UI still needs work, it takes way too many mouse clicks to do simple things. All of the pieces are there for a great game, but lacks polish.

Post #: 6
- 5/25/2002 7:54:17 AM   
gunnergoz

Is that a polish joke? (just kidding :D )

I agree that the game can be improved in terms of getting out the information that is most useful to the player. I don't do interface design, so can contribute little concrete here.

My guess is that there's a lot of polish in this game, it's just that it tries to put 50 pounds of mud in a 20 pound sack. The PW version will really need to benefit from lessons learned in UV.

I'd like to see customizeable pull-downs that can extract and show data I feel I need most. If I check next to that category, the report engendered will include that info and exclude what I don't want. I know that the game must be keeping track of tons of data, it's just a matter of presentation and efficiency.

Customizeable lists are one of my favorites. I like spreadsheets so I'd like the data presented in that form. If I can create a report that says "Show all surface battle groups that are approaching their bingo fuel or damaged units >33%" then I would really be cookin'!

My fantasy game UI would let me create and name my own custom reports just like any database, just by drawing on all the numbers that the game is already crunching. Then, by pressing the custom tab or button (or keystroke, hint, hint) I could see exactly what I wanted. "Now where are all of those P-400 squadrons and how are they comparing to the P-39's in morale and units out of action? Where are my sub mining missions and how many mines left so I can call for a special re-routing? Can I see the carrier air group stats in one fell swoop? Better yet? How is San Jacinto's CAG faring compared to the Big E's? Who needs rest and training? Which squadrons have got a crappy skipper that I can demobilize and cannibalize assets from? And who can best use the assets?"

I don't suppose it's possible to backfit such a concept to UV but I'd wet my skivvies to see that in PW2 or whatsuch.

In sum: empower the players. Give them simple, workable startup reports that they can use to modify and customize to their liking. The grogs will go silly calculating fuel consumption and messkit repair times and the gamey bastards will just be looking to see who's got the best bang for the buck and how to get them there first.

I never claimed to be a programmer, so lay on, mcduff...

"Things are getting better!
...Well, maybe not as good as they were yesterday, but much better than they will be tomorrow!"
-Old Russian saying

Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> Information supply and game interface Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI