Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Got My Ass Handed to Me - HELP!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Modern] >> Hired Guns: The Jagged Edge >> Got My Ass Handed to Me - HELP! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Got My Ass Handed to Me - HELP! - 5/24/2009 1:51:35 AM   
Mack the Knife

this is my first time through the game and hopefully most of you have beaten it so i need some advice. it's the "Road to Airport" (crossroads/checkpoint) where there are four hundred thousand or so soldiers and just my one squad. my God, i was worm food in minutes!

again, haven't been playing long but i've taken the dam, the city, the northern outpost, all with a squad of 6. is there any way in hell i can take the airport checkpoint with just one squad (i had plenty of hand grenades) or do you need to come at it from several different directions with 2 or 3 squads? don't tell me exactly how to do it but a few tips would be appreciated!!
Post #: 1
RE: Got My Ass Handed to Me - HELP! - 5/24/2009 6:29:23 AM   
Deathifier

First time through I used a squad of 4, although I can't remember exactly what they were using - I think they might have had pseudo-sniper rifles still, and one was carrying a shotgun.

If I remember right I had 3 people on side with the bunker, and one on the side with the tower.
Start out prone, pick off the enemies one by one, and hope they miss a lot.  Being prone, in the grass, helps quite a lot.
The guy over near the tower had more trouble though since it was more open.  He spent most of the time hiding behind a tree after the initial exchanges of fire didn't work out so well, although he made for a good spotter :)

The bunker group included the guy with a shotgun, who was able to move up behind the various rocks and trees to get close to the enemies who didn't want to come out.

Can't remember exactly how badly injured everyone was after, or how much ammo they went through, however staying behind cover and making yourself hard to hit is the key to survival.

Bye,
Deathifier

(in reply to Mack the Knife)
Post #: 2
RE: Got My Ass Handed to Me - HELP! - 5/24/2009 6:51:25 PM   
Mack the Knife

thanks Deathifier!, BUT....(also, i'm not sure we're talking about the same map)

i'm playing newbie, i have sniper rifles and shotguns and grenades. question, how can you be on two sides? (you said 3 on side by bunker, 1 on side with tower) you can only line up on the side you arrive at (purple line). the "bunker" (checkpoint shack) and tower are in the middle of the (small) map. i am prone, i am behind cover (although i have to rise to get a clear shot or throw a grenade very far) but by my second turn one of my mercs could see 22 enemy! how could you get to the tower/bunker? i am at the edge of the map and there are 22 soldiers in the middle (again, by "bunker" and tower). i get six shots and they get 22 at me! i fire almost point blank with a 47 damage sniper rifle at their freaking head with a 94 accuracy merc and hit the torso instead with only a -8. they fire from across the damn map at a guy with Kevlar everywhere and blow away half his health points! how can i beat 22 guys, that close on such a small a map? THIS IS NOT NEWBIE ODDS or GAMEPLAY!! . i pretty much know how to play but this is ridiculous! somebody set me free!! thanks....

(in reply to Deathifier)
Post #: 3
RE: Got My Ass Handed to Me - HELP! - 5/24/2009 9:25:27 PM   
Hard Sarge

no he is right, from the side you normally come in at, you can have troops on both sides of the road (which is what i think he means, right side of the road is the tower, left side of the road is the Bunker)

I normally go for that spot, with 2 squads, so can't help with ideas for one

but...

use cross fire, left of road goes for enemy on right, troops on right go for enemy on left (unless, you have to kill somebody right in front of you first)

go for leg shots and knockdowns, big burst weapons can help (aim for the correct leg, aim at left leg and the misses will be on the left side, aim at the right leg and the misses will be to the right, most times at least)

blooper or rockets can help, but good luck hitting what you are aiming for (I have knocked down everybody on the road with one rocket round, and have fired it off the map before)

on this map, you need hits, more then kills, so I would say to have the sniper to be taking chest or leg shots (I wouldn't count on there Acc numbers much, these guys would never of made it out basic when I was in)

Post #: 4
RE: Got My Ass Handed to Me - HELP! - 5/24/2009 9:59:35 PM   
Mack the Knife

quote:

you can have troops on both sides of the road

well, with one squad you can only have troops on one side, i only have the purple line on the left side since i approached from the resort city. but now i've realized that since i have six mercs, before i go in i'll break them into 2 equal squads and that should let me line up on each side of the map. i'll give it a try.

quote:

big burst weapons

well, each merc had two weapons and i went in with all but one carrying a shotgun as i thought those were pretty lethal at close ranges but they did little good. and, it sucks to hear that Acc doesn't seem to make a difference! i also have a grenade launcher BUT, like i said, i have 22 guys taking shots at me so by the time it comes my turn i have so few AP since i'm so freaking shot up that i can't hit the broad side of a barn with the launcher. i'll switch to sniper and automatic rifles.

i'm not whining but i still think this is too much too fast. even on newbie i realize the game will get harder as it goes (which is fine) but from having 8-10 bad guys at the dam AND at the resort to having freaking 22+ on this TINY map is, well, too much.

(in reply to Hard Sarge)
Post #: 5
RE: Got My Ass Handed to Me - HELP! - 5/24/2009 10:44:13 PM   
Mack the Knife

explain to me again how are you lining up and fighting from 2 sides? are you sending guys to the train station and coming from both there AND from the coastal city? should i bypass this sector until i can come back with 12 mercs!? what am i missing here! [i did graduate from college ] thanks again...

< Message edited by Mack the Knife -- 5/24/2009 10:49:16 PM >

Post #: 6
RE: Got My Ass Handed to Me - HELP! - 5/24/2009 10:52:48 PM   
Hard Sarge

Mack

the normal side you come in on, has a road a little off center of the middle, the purple set up area, goes across this edge of the map, to the right of the road is the tower, to the left of the road is the bunker

you may be trying to bite off too much too soon, I hit that area once I have two squads

you say you have taken the City and the Damn, what about the RR station ? (that gives you some money)

(I useally have the Damn, RR Station, City and Port, before heading for the Airport and Mines)

that is a HARD map, it may be the HARDest in the game, based on your level (later maps have more, but you have better troops/weapons by then)

Post #: 7
RE: Got My Ass Handed to Me - HELP! - 5/24/2009 11:05:21 PM   
Mack the Knife

quote:

to the right of the road is the tower, to the left of the road is the bunker

i know, i got that part but here's the thing. i come in with 1 squad from the coastal city and my purple line is on the left (west) of the map, running up and down (north and south). the road also runs up and down (N and S) with the bunker on the left (W) of the road and the tower on the right (E). I AM ALWAYS ON THE WEST SIDE of the map. if you go across the map from left to right from where i am you run into the bunker, then the road, then the tower. how do i get to both sides without running across the map which is impossible.

and i just tried this. i came in from the coastal city (W) with 3 mercs and sent 3 up to the train station and came in from the other side (E) BUT THE PURPLE LINE IS NOW across the top of the map. i am never split so i can fire from both sides toward the middle!

<EDIT>
well, i just calmed down a might and with the purple line across the top as i just mentioned i can position my guys on each side BUT i'm in the top corners which sucks.

i hate to give up but maybe i'll skip this for now...it ticks me off (they may filter it if i say pisses me off) that people say attack from both sides yet it won't let me...

< Message edited by Mack the Knife -- 5/24/2009 11:11:12 PM >

(in reply to Hard Sarge)
Post #: 8
RE: Got My Ass Handed to Me - HELP! - 5/25/2009 12:14:40 AM   
Hard Sarge

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mack the Knife

quote:

to the right of the road is the tower, to the left of the road is the bunker

i know, i got that part but here's the thing. i come in with 1 squad from the coastal city and my purple line is on the left (west) of the map, running up and down (north and south). the road also runs up and down (N and S) with the bunker on the left (W) of the road and the tower on the right (E). I AM ALWAYS ON THE WEST SIDE of the map. if you go across the map from left to right from where i am you run into the bunker, then the road, then the tower. how do i get to both sides without running across the map which is impossible.

okay, as I said, I have only tired this map with 2 squads, so I may be getting the other half of the road as a set up area

and i just tried this. i came in from the coastal city (W) with 3 mercs and sent 3 up to the train station and came in from the other side (E) BUT THE PURPLE LINE IS NOW across the top of the map. i am never split so i can fire from both sides toward the middle!

<EDIT>
well, i just calmed down a might and with the purple line across the top as i just mentioned i can position my guys on each side BUT i'm in the top corners which sucks.

i hate to give up but maybe i'll skip this for now...it ticks me off (they may filter it if i say pisses me off) that people say attack from both sides yet it won't let me...

may sound silly, but once you get to the airport, you can attack from any edge (spoiler) when you go back to this map

as I said, this is a HARD map, even more so with small numbers

Post #: 9
RE: Got My Ass Handed to Me - HELP! - 5/25/2009 12:28:25 AM   
Mack the Knife

hey sarge, thanks for the all your help! i think i'll take your advice and skip this sector for now. i wasn't winning other sectors with ease but winning nonetheless then this sector just blindsided me.

(in reply to Hard Sarge)
Post #: 10
RE: Got My Ass Handed to Me - HELP! - 5/25/2009 2:23:38 AM   
Erik Rutins

Yeah, I generally don't go for the airport that quickly. Build up elsewhere so that you can hit it with more guys.

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

Post #: 11
RE: Got My Ass Handed to Me - HELP! - 5/25/2009 2:35:54 AM   
Mack the Knife

quote:

I generally don't go for the airport that quickly

great...the airport is worse, now i'm really worried! erik, i was only on the ROAD to the airport, not the airport itself

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 12
RE: Got My Ass Handed to Me - HELP! - 5/25/2009 6:42:01 AM   
Deathifier

It may be harder because you've already taken some other sectors and therefore you have more enemies, and their better gear, to deal with.

I went Road Block, Safari, Dam, Train Station, Airport Road, Airport

Coming from the train station you get to deploy along an edge that is split by the road - one side has a lookout tower on it, the other a bunker and assorted bits and pieces.
The deployment line runs down one edge only, however you can place people to either side of the road whilst still being on that edge.

Coming from the other side may be harder because there's less cover - when I was defending and the enemy popped up there I could see almost all of them, which is bad news if the roles are reversed since it lets all of them shoot at you!

The tower side has a big tree, with vines, right near the edge.  That's where one of my guys hid, to avoid everyone shooting him to bits :)
The bunker side has more cover - trees, shallow depressions, rocks, and the enemy will be inside the bunker itself and so don't have a clear shot if you keep your head down.

You don't need to split your team actually, although having one or two people on the tower side as spotters is very handy.  Just remember to keep them hidden behind something at the end of their round.

So perhaps have a few goes focussing on keeping your people hidden so you face only a minimum number of opponents at once?
If you can only see 4 or 5, then it cuts down the amount of fire coming your way and the enemies will reposition closer (making them easier to shoot) in small groups :)

Remember that you can also pop-up and take a shot, then lay down again.  Shooting from prone (and at someone prone) can be tough due to line of sight issues that you don't get when crouched, and you can see a lot more if crouched.

The airport itself is easier, particularly if you make use of the handy gun emplacements ;)

All the best,
Deathifier

Post #: 13
RE: Got My Ass Handed to Me - HELP! - 5/25/2009 10:05:29 PM   
Mack the Knife

quote:

pop-up and take a shot, then lay down again

thanks again deathifier...i always try and use this tactic wherever i am. coming around the corner of a building, taking a shot, then ducking back around is a favorite also.

and, you mention the gun emplacements. i've grabbed a couple of those machine guns, the ones in those circular, sandbag bunkers and both times they've been out of ammo. in Men of War i can load these things from my backpack if i have the right ammo, but i don't think you can in this game, can you? and second, can you turn them in some other direction than how you found them? if so, how?

thanks for everyone's help and i hope this is not all stuff you've told others new to the forum time after time.

(in reply to Deathifier)
Post #: 14
RE: Got My Ass Handed to Me - HELP! - 5/26/2009 1:33:34 AM   
Hard Sarge

I have not seen any with out ammo

but from what I have seen, they have a limited fixed field of fire, and normally, now the field you want :)

Post #: 15
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Modern] >> Hired Guns: The Jagged Edge >> Got My Ass Handed to Me - HELP! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI