Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Enola Gay at Tinian personal photo

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Enola Gay at Tinian personal photo Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Enola Gay at Tinian personal photo - 5/25/2009 1:25:20 PM   
ravincravin

I was going through my dad's old photos and found this postage stamp sized picture. His caption read "The B-29 that dropped the 1st atomic bomb. That's me or Swanfield besides it. I'm not sure but use a magnifying glass to enlarge." Thought I would share it with all on the forum this memorial day.

Attachment (1)
Post #: 1
RE: Enola Gay at Tinian personal photo - 5/25/2009 2:04:53 PM   
Knavey

Nice...it always makes me wonder what other treasures are tucked away in closets that have yet to be discovered.

x-Nuc twidget
CVN-71
USN 87-93
"Going slow in the fast direction"

(in reply to ravincravin)
Post #: 2
RE: Enola Gay at Tinian personal photo - 5/25/2009 2:50:27 PM   
ravincravin

Thanks, My dad was stationed at Tinian during the war. He took a slew of photos which I just started going through. I'll post some of the local color photos and other materials in this string in the future. Any comments are welcome.

(in reply to Knavey)
Post #: 3
RE: Enola Gay at Tinian personal photo - 5/25/2009 3:06:37 PM   
stuman

Great pics, thx for sharing

" Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room. " President Muffley

Post #: 4
RE: Enola Gay at Tinian personal photo - 5/25/2009 3:08:25 PM   
AW1Steve

quote:

ORIGINAL: Knavey

Nice...it always makes me wonder what other treasures are tucked away in closets that have yet to be discovered.

You never know. At one Naval museum I worked (Bremmerton) we used to get boxes whenever someone cleaned out the basement. One day I recieved a photobook of sepia prints from the twenties that had belonged to someones grandfather. Besides some incredibly good war game shots , there were photo's of four pipers . When I checked the date of the photo's , then the destroyer's hull numbers , I relized that these photo's were taken the week before the same DD's went up on the rocks of Honda. Another box I was inventoring simply said "Naval Flags". When I looked at the very warn and dirty signal flags , I found nothing special, till I found a note that read "USS Pennsylvania, Dec.7, 1941. " I used to find stuff like that all the time that people were about to throw out.

(in reply to Knavey)
Post #: 5
RE: Enola Gay at Tinian personal photo - 5/25/2009 3:08:48 PM   
Knavey

quote:

ORIGINAL: ravincravin

Thanks, My dad was stationed at Tinian during the war. He took a slew of photos which I just started going through. I'll post some of the local color photos and other materials in this string in the future. Any comments are welcome.

Looking forward to this!

x-Nuc twidget
CVN-71
USN 87-93

Post #: 6
RE: Enola Gay at Tinian personal photo - 5/25/2009 3:24:37 PM   
m10bob

quote:

I was going through my dad's old photos and found this postage stamp sized picture. His caption read "The B-29 that dropped the 1st atomic bomb. That's me or Swanfield besides it. I'm not sure but use a magnifying glass to enlarge." Thought I would share it with all on the forum this memorial day.

Great pic...Thank you for sharing......

Post #: 7
RE: Enola Gay at Tinian personal photo - 5/25/2009 4:08:39 PM   
IndyShark

Great picture! I can't wait to see more.

(in reply to m10bob)
Post #: 8
RE: Enola Gay at Tinian personal photo - 5/25/2009 4:10:12 PM   
Cap Mandrake

Wow...look at the runway. It looks like they just piled 18 inch of crushed coral on top of the soil.

Can you imagine all the solvents and tire dust and petroleum products that run right into the ocean every time in rains. I wonder how long it took to get the EIR through.

Also, how did they get a prop blade pointing exactly vertical on all 4 engines? Does that happen as a result of some mechanical mecahnism or luck or did some ground crewman turn the props manually or electrically when the engines were stopped??

Post #: 9
RE: Enola Gay at Tinian personal photo - 5/25/2009 4:23:56 PM   
AW1Steve

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cap Mandrake

Wow...look at the runway. It looks like they just piled 18 inch of crushed coral on top of the soil.

Can you imagine all the solvents and tire dust and petroleum products that run right into the ocean every time in rains. I wonder how long it took to get the EIR through.

Also, how did they get a prop blade pointing exactly vertical on all 4 engines? Does that happen as a result of some mechanical mecahnism or luck or did some ground crewman turn the props manually or electrically when the engines were stopped??

I can't speak for 1945, but it is normal today (at least in the Navy) to "dress the props", that is line them up so that the blade at least in part covers the intake. It wouldn't matter on the radial engines of a B-29, but it would still "look nice".

(in reply to Cap Mandrake)
Post #: 10
RE: Enola Gay at Tinian personal photo - 5/25/2009 7:24:02 PM   
tocaff

My dad served on B-29s out of Tinian, but alas no pictures and the memories are fading.  He's a frail 87 now.

Todd

I never thought that doing an AAR would be so time consuming and difficult.
www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2080768

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 11
RE: Enola Gay at Tinian personal photo - 5/25/2009 7:36:17 PM   
SuluSea

I tell my kids that too many times the media/individuals portray athletes, movie stars or people in the music industry as icons , heros or whatever. I'll be the first to tell them that the real heroes are the people that put their lives on the line every day for a rightous cause whether it be the military or police and fire service.

Thanks for taking time to post the picture.

Post #: 12
RE: Enola Gay at Tinian personal photo - 5/25/2009 10:21:40 PM   
wdolson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cap Mandrake

Also, how did they get a prop blade pointing exactly vertical on all 4 engines? Does that happen as a result of some mechanical mechanism or luck or did some ground crewman turn the props manually or electrically when the engines were stopped??

Radial engines collect oil in the lower cylinders and the engine starts better if the prop is turned a few times by hand before starting the engine. This pumps some of the oil up to the upper cylinders. B-29s had the largest engines deployed up to that point and the engines were marginal enough already, so hand cranking the props were a fairly standard procedure for the ground crew. They probably left the props in one, known position so it was obvious that the props had been turned.

Bill

WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer

(in reply to Cap Mandrake)
Post #: 13
RE: Enola Gay at Tinian personal photo - 5/25/2009 11:52:23 PM   
Japan

quote:

Nice Picture.

I'm not sure what memorial day is, is it the Victims of the Atomic Bomb we remember or the ones who dropped it ?

-

< Message edited by Japan -- 5/25/2009 11:53:17 PM >

AAR VIDEO
THE FIRST YEAR + THE SECOND YEAR
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2133035&mpage=1&key=&

Post #: 14
RE: Enola Gay at Tinian personal photo - 5/26/2009 12:00:45 AM   
Anthropoid

Japan, do you ever stop and think of just having a look at a Wiki page before you ask foolish questions?

quote:

Memorial Day is a United States federal holiday observed on the last Monday of May (May 25 in 2009). Formerly known as Decoration Day, it commemorates U.S. men and women who died while in the military service. First enacted to honor Union soldiers of the American Civil War (it is celebrated near the day of reunification after the Civil War), it was expanded after World War I to include American casualties of any war or military action.

< Message edited by Anthropoid -- 5/26/2009 12:03:07 AM >

The x-ray is her siren song. My ship cannot resist her long. Nearer to my deadly goal. Until the black hole. Gains control...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkIIlkyZ328&feature=autoplay&list=AL94UKMTqg-9CocLGbd6tpbuQRxyF4FGNr&playnext=3

(in reply to Japan)
Post #: 15
RE: Enola Gay at Tinian personal photo - 5/26/2009 1:27:10 AM   
AW1Steve

quote:

ORIGINAL: Japan

quote:

Nice Picture.

I'm not sure what memorial day is, is it the Victims of the Atomic Bomb we remember or the ones who dropped it ?

-

Japan do you try to be an ass or does it just come naturally!!!!!!

(in reply to Japan)
Post #: 16
RE: Enola Gay at Tinian personal photo - 5/26/2009 2:24:28 AM   
Knavey

I think he means "Do you honor the somewhere between 11 and 23 American POWs who were held prisoner in Hiroshima when the bomb was dropped." - probably the best translation IMHO.

Yes, Japan, we do...but I do not consider them victims of the bomb...I consider them heros who gave all.

Thanks for reminding me of them...had to do some research on that one. Seems there would have been more but the Japanese army moved some of them away for some sort of testing.

x-Nuc twidget
CVN-71
USN 87-93

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 17
RE: Enola Gay at Tinian personal photo - 5/26/2009 2:25:41 AM   
Knavey

quote:

ORIGINAL: AW1Steve

quote:

You never know. At one Naval museum I worked (Bremmerton) we used to get boxes whenever someone cleaned out the basement. One day I recieved a photobook of sepia prints from the twenties that had belonged to someones grandfather. Besides some incredibly good war game shots , there were photo's of four pipers . When I checked the date of the photo's , then the destroyer's hull numbers , I relized that these photo's were taken the week before the same DD's went up on the rocks of Honda. Another box I was inventoring simply said "Naval Flags". When I looked at the very warn and dirty signal flags , I found nothing special, till I found a note that read "USS Pennsylvania, Dec.7, 1941. " I used to find stuff like that all the time that people were about to throw out.

What do they do with that sort of stuff?

x-Nuc twidget
CVN-71
USN 87-93

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 18
RE: Enola Gay at Tinian personal photo - 5/26/2009 2:34:19 AM   
AW1Steve

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: AW1Steve

quote:

You never know. At one Naval museum I worked (Bremmerton) we used to get boxes whenever someone cleaned out the basement. One day I received a photo book of sepia prints from the twenties that had belonged to someones grandfather. Besides some incredibly good war game shots , there were photo's of four pipers . When I checked the date of the photo's , then the destroyer's hull numbers , I realized that these photo's were taken the week before the same DD's went up on the rocks of Honda. Another box I was inventorying simply said "Naval Flags". When I looked at the very warn and dirty signal flags , I found nothing special, till I found a note that read "USS Pennsylvania, Dec.7, 1941. " I used to find stuff like that all the time that people were about to throw out.

What do they do with that sort of stuff?

That's the problem. At the Bremmerton Museum, I cataloged the stuff , made people aware of what we had, then prayed that someday we would have room to display it. The problem is modern museums don't like to display artifacts, they want hd displays , interactive games and gee-whiz tech-no-gadgets. Artifacts take time, preservation , space , and most of all, money. And most important of all, public awareness and public concern.

(in reply to Knavey)
Post #: 19
RE: Enola Gay at Tinian personal photo - 5/26/2009 12:15:27 PM   
Japan

Ok thanks for the info Gents.

I never knew anything about this US day, and as it was called "Memorial Day" I figured it could mean anything, but obviously something people was suppose to remembering or think about. I guess i should have looked at Wiki instead of asking.  Anyway thanks for the help.

AAR VIDEO
THE FIRST YEAR + THE SECOND YEAR
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2133035&mpage=1&key=&

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 20
RE: Enola Gay at Tinian personal photo - 5/26/2009 1:59:45 PM   
ravincravin

Thanks for all the comments. To continue, I have an aerial view of a picture without any comments. Judging by the size of the island I think it is Tinian, not Saipan. My best guess is that this pic was taken sometime in ’44 or early ’45.

When I was flying over to my duty station, we stopped in Okinawa which was said to be a concrete island but I think this one beats it.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Japan)
Post #: 21
RE: Enola Gay at Tinian personal photo - 5/26/2009 2:08:55 PM   
AW1Steve

http://northernmarianas.50webs.com/north%20tinian.jpg here is a map of the island which confirms that it's Tinian.

Post #: 22
RE: Enola Gay at Tinian personal photo - 5/26/2009 2:16:04 PM   
Knavey

AW,

Links not working.

x-Nuc twidget
CVN-71
USN 87-93

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 23
RE: Enola Gay at Tinian personal photo - 5/26/2009 2:35:22 PM   
ravincravin

Thanks for the link. Try http://northernmarianas.50webs.com/ then click on Tinian.

(in reply to Knavey)
Post #: 24
RE: Enola Gay at Tinian personal photo - 5/26/2009 2:48:28 PM   
AW1Steve

http://www.airdaleamericanhistory.com/ProjectMarianasHome.html For your entertainment. I found the Guam section personally interesting , as I lived there from 1998 to early 2001. I lived on Nimitz hill and worked at the Military museum in old Sumay at "Big Navy". A really facinating place.

Post #: 25
RE: Enola Gay at Tinian personal photo - 5/26/2009 2:51:57 PM   
Nikademus

quote:

Cool pic. I'm hoping to get a closeup look at a B-29 under restoration at the Boeing Museum one of these days.

Post #: 26
RE: Enola Gay at Tinian personal photo - 5/26/2009 3:06:44 PM   
AW1Steve

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nikademus

quote:

Unless they have moved it, it belongs to the Museum of flight, and their restoration center is Paine Field. It won't go to the Museum's main site at Boeing field till it's finished. (I could be all wet , as I haven't been there for two years).
Cool pic. I'm hoping to get a closeup look at a B-29 under restoration at the Boeing Museum one of these days.

(in reply to Nikademus)
Post #: 27
RE: Enola Gay at Tinian personal photo - 5/26/2009 3:18:31 PM   
Nikademus

You may be right. GF unit and I were purusing both websites last nite planning next weekend's visit to Paine Field. Gonna be awesome. They have an A6M3 and an I-16 among other specimens. Gonna take some phot-ows!

here's the link:

http://www.flyingheritage.com/

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 28
RE: Enola Gay at Tinian personal photo - 5/27/2009 12:40:39 AM   
ravincravin

Thanks for all the great web links guys. Interestingly enough, today I just took Guam in the game I currently am playing. Visiting these websites makes playing WitP even more rewarding and enriches the experience. I never had the pleasure of visiting the Pacific besides flying over it to be stationed in Korea during the Viet Nam war era. It's something I wish I could have done.

A little known fact. When I was a kid a built a flying model of the Boeing P-31 "Peashooter". The P-31 was the only pursuit fighter that Boeing ever built and I believe it was the first all metal fighter. They were phased out just about the time the 2nd World War started.

(in reply to Nikademus)
Post #: 29
Jake's Jalopy - 5/27/2009 1:50:15 AM   
tocaff

My father's B-29 crew that flew out of Tinian's North Field.

The rows are inverted as the front is really the back, etc.

Attachment (1)

Todd

I never thought that doing an AAR would be so time consuming and difficult.
www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2080768

Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Enola Gay at Tinian personal photo Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI