Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

How do you attack successfully?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Close Combat Series >> Close Combat: The Longest Day >> The War Room >> How do you attack successfully? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
How do you attack successfully? - 5/29/2009 3:27:17 PM   
GaryChildress

Obviously playing the defender against the AI is pretty easy. Just wait for the enemy to come charging into your machine guns and slaughter them. But as attacker, what is the best strategy and tactics for taking the victory locations on a map? Every time I try sneaking toward a VL my troops get slaughtered by hidden enemies. In fact, playing the role of attacker seems to be pretty impossible for either the AI or the player (at least to me). During a 30-45 minute time limit I can't seem to make much progress without major casualties. So I'm curious, what is the best method for storming an enemy position when there isn't a lot of time to sneak all over the map?

Post #: 1
RE: How do you attack successfully? - 5/29/2009 7:55:59 PM   
squadleader_id

The Pzt GJS Strat Guide should help you out
It's written for CC5: GJS mod, but the tactics apply to all CC (especially CC5).
Have fun and good luck!

quote:

Foreword:

This is a CC5 guide for every player  (green-, more experienced- and veteran players). I tried to add subjects you can't find in the "User Manual" as much as I could. Playing Close Combat isn't an exact science, so not everyone will have the same opinion on these subjects. I simply wrote down my opinion based on the experience of myself and others while playing CC5.
There is a lot of this Strategic/Tactical stuff you can read in different forums (like ours), but it is difficult to find something right away. This guide will be easier to consult, in fact it reads like a book.
It is possible (in fact very likely) that this guide will be improved as time goes by. I'm sure there are some (or a lot of) things in there that aren't completely true. That's why I like to ask all of you, especially more experienced players, to give comments or ask questions on every subject you want. There will be a special section for that purpose.
This manual is based on the GJS 4.3  mod. Most of the ladder players use this mod. And when the new GJS 4.4 will be available,
all the differences will be treated in a next edition.
I hope everybody can get something out of this guide to improve his skills and become a (even) better player.
Good luck!

I have to thank Wruff and Piper for the great help they gave me to get this project done!

P.S.: I like to add that I used a lot of things from the different forums (Pzt + TH + CSO & others). I rewrote some, with others I
      didn't change anything.
      Therefore, I like to thank everyone who shared these tactical notes with everyone.

Pzt_Cobalth-77

(in reply to GaryChildress)
Post #: 2
RE: How do you attack successfully? - 5/30/2009 6:31:33 AM   
D.Ilse

I found myself having to use smoke for the first time in a long time..and cursing when I don't have it. Makes me think back to when I got CC2 when it dropped at WaldenSoftware or whatever it was called in the 90s..never used smoke IIRC. but now I am wiser and older.

(in reply to squadleader_id)
Post #: 3
RE: How do you attack successfully? - 6/6/2009 8:12:05 AM   
Bandito

I have a problem with the strategy, too. A lot of times I can win, but with an almost 90% loss of my forces.

In Wacht am Rhein, however, I had a sweeping victory on one map with very limited losses. I think the same type of strategy might apply for TLD on some maps:

1) I positioned an MMG at the highest point on the map--fortunately in my case, the central point. I was worried about this at first as I thought it might be the most obvious target, but it worked out fine. I then positioned my other units close by, knowing that they would be covered by the MMG. I placed my mortar far away and behind LoS obstructions.

2) There were victory locations nearby, so I took the nearest ones as quick as I could to ensure I had at least one over half the victory locations. I think time was running out by the time I was near, but it's important to not get too rushed because that's an easy way to run into enemy units and lose an entire team. This has happened to me before.

3) At one point I caused Axis morale to break almost instantly due to shock effect, I guess. I hurried two BARs behind some buildings near a victory location, and snuck into the building. When they were in defensive stance, I hurried a rifle team to the victory location that was being covered. Some hapless Germans soon entered a nearby building to quickly get mopped up. The bazooka I had brought along killed a tank that was also moving forward, and then went Heroic (not very useful if that was the only tank confronting me, I'm afraid). Basically, I believe I got to a victory location before the Axis did.

4) Don't forget that your mortar teams don't have to have LoS to actually attack an area! Not being a military person or a Close Combat veteran, I only learned this recently.

(in reply to D.Ilse)
Post #: 4
RE: How do you attack successfully? - 7/23/2009 6:38:07 PM   
Scout 50

The Strategy Guide is a great resource, although I admit I have not looked through it in a while. For my own part, I've been thinking about how to answer the question "how to you attack?" for a couple of days now, wondering if it is possible to boil down my years of experience in CC into a short answer? Qualifier - I've played CC for years now, and feel I am an expert in fighting the AI. However, I have to admit that I do not fight live opponents, for fear of the havoc this addictive game would reek on my busy life. I fully expect that when I do go live, I will be taught a whole new round of lessons. But I believe the following principle holds true in any context.

A successful attack is about dividing the battle into a series of individual engagements, in which you have engineered overwhelming force. Consider a scenario in which you and the defender are evenly matched, with 15 squads each. If you send all 15 of your squads against all 15 of the defenders, the attacker will typically lose. However, if you use geography, maneuver and initiative to set up a series of 15 mini-battles where all 15 of your squads takes on 1 defending squad at a time, you will annihilate the defenders. Of course, in a real battle it is never this pure, but the concept is fundamental.

I could go on and on about tactics to implement this principle, but I'd be pretty much repeating the strategy guide. Geography is essential! Identify the mini-battlefields at play on a given map, and then figure out how to apply overwhelming force to each isolated battlefield in succession.

A final tip: One skill set that is invaluable in CC is knowing how to devastate an enemy squad. And by devastate I mean knock out of the game (killed, broken or surrendered) in a short amount of time. Figuring this out will naturally lead you to strategies where you apply overwhelming force (and ideally from multiple directions) on a defending unit that is isolated from help. Keep in mind that a defending unit can be immediately surrounded by friendlies, but if none of these friendlies have a clear line of site to your attacking units, the defending squad is as isolated as if it were alone.

And when geography is just not on your side, use smoke and pray. :)

Good luck on the battlefield.

(in reply to GaryChildress)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Close Combat Series >> Close Combat: The Longest Day >> The War Room >> How do you attack successfully? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI