Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: PBEM 109

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Napoleonics] >> Crown of Glory: Emperor's Edition >> Opponents Wanted >> RE: PBEM 109 Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: PBEM 109 - 6/14/2009 5:41:42 AM   
06 Maestro

BTW; will the turn be sent out in a couple of hours or 10?

I'm at GMT-8 so sending a turn tonight is doable for me.

Banking establishments are more dangerous than standing armies.

Thomas Jefferson

(in reply to 06 Maestro)
Post #: 61
RE: PBEM 109 - 6/14/2009 5:59:44 AM   
terje439

quote:

ORIGINAL: 06 Maestro

quote:

ORIGINAL: terje439

quote:

Iron Warrior

I have a final decision-I wil take Turkey.

Perhaps those of you that already have some PBM experience with this game could add a few house rules. I noticed some posted from one of the other games-I assume there was good reason.

"Daylight is a-burnen"

Do not deal with the shady Brits, they only leave you wanting more untill you are ready to sell your soul for another grant.
Oh, and DoW-ing France is forbidden!

Terje

I will dine with my chosen Pashas in Paris as we prefer French food to what those island people eat. How that is to be arranged is somewhat dependant on French civility to the Sultan.

The French FOOD you are more than welcome to Sir!

Terje

"Hun skal torpederes!" - Birger Eriksen

("She is to be torpedoed!")

(in reply to 06 Maestro)
Post #: 62
RE: PBEM 109 - 6/14/2009 6:01:26 AM   
terje439

quote:

BTW; will the turn be sent out in a couple of hours or 10?

I'm at GMT-8 so sending a turn tonight is doable for me.

I still need Aprezto's email adress before sending out the turns. If I do not get that soon, it will be more likely to be in 7-8 hrs (aka when I wake up again).

Terje

(in reply to 06 Maestro)
Post #: 63
RE: PBEM 109 - 6/14/2009 7:29:54 AM   
lenin

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: IronWarrior
To let the newer players know how it works, Terje will set up everyone for his gain, he will also attack you at every oppertunity.

Heey! What a bad thing to say!

*OOC: Hmm I need to stop visiting the forums this late at night (morning I guess but...)

Terje

He he IW! Couldn't put it better myself. You are absolutely made for France in this game Terje!

"Imperialism is the eve of the proletarian social revolution"

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 64
RE: PBEM 109 - 6/14/2009 7:57:50 AM   
aprezto

I get the feeling I'll be 'seeing the elephant' rather quickly then...

(in reply to lenin)
Post #: 65
RE: PBEM 109 - 6/14/2009 10:37:13 AM   
Mus

quote:

I will dine with my chosen Pashas in Paris as we prefer French food to what those island people eat. How that is to be arranged is somewhat dependant on French civility to the Sultan.

The Royal Navy would be happy to sail you as close as the beach... and then shoot you on to it out of our cannons.

You will have to walk from there.

Mindset, Tactics, Skill, Equipment
Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas

(in reply to 06 Maestro)
Post #: 66
RE: PBEM 109 - 6/14/2009 2:23:46 PM   
Anthropoid

quote:

I copied these from another thread. I am not sure if these are required-I 'll go with what the veterans say. I'm more interested in just getting it going at this point.

Franck's house rule:

When a war ends between 2 major nations
(A)Unless the capital of a specific protectorate has been captured all of that protectorate's provinces that were originaly (pre-war) controlled by a player should be ceded back to the original (pre-war) onwner
(B) In the case where a major nations control the capital of a protectorate, the player who conquered the capital gets to keep all provinces that belonged to that protectorate. The player must still cede back any protectorate's provinces for which the protectorate's capital was not conquered!

exemple:
France and Austrian's Italian war:
France took control of the capital of Ventia, Naples and Papal States. By this rule he gets to keep all of the provinces he took there. If France had failed to take the capital of Naples before I surrendered he would have had to give me back all of the provinces he took from Naples. (ie: this is why I barricaded almost all of Naples armed force inside Naples. Hoping for a settlement before France could breach Naples.)

Sweden and the coalition's war:
Sweden took Copenhague. Since this is the capital of Danemark Sweden gets to keep that province after the war (If no one claims it with surrender points). If Sweden at taken control of any other Danish provinces he could also keep them.)

As far as I know this is how "conquering" of provinces works. I'll use my recent single player experience as Russia as an example. It was summer 1798, everybody was alarmed at Austria. I had early on declared war on Poland and absorbed about one-third her provinces, but then she (Poland) became an Austrian protectorate. About a year later, we all declared war on Austria. I start gobbling up Austria's Polish provinces, the ones that are on my border (Lodomeria, Courland, Kovno, etc.), in total about 6 of them. Finally she surrenders with about 9850 surrender points. I get the popup asking if I want to strategic move out of Austrian territory, and move everything back to Podolia so I don't get hit with a glory penalty or violating neutrality.

All of the Polish protectorate provinces automatically go back into Austrian hands. I then get my chance to draw up my terms of surrender. In there, I can (and did) choose to demand ceding of all the Polish provinces (which were protectorates of Austria at the start of hostilities) which I had conquered. It is noteworthy that, in the actual Treaty screen, only the ones I took control of during the war were viable demands, the others I could not select as demands to cede. This cost me about 8500 surrender points, and the rest I made up with economic demands.

So, as it works right now, I think that this rule would only be necessary at the time that a victor draws up his/her terms of surrender. There is no need to "cede back" things that were taken, because, even when you win, it appears that nothing gets automatically "taken;" all provinces controlled by each side at the start of hostilities rever to the original master, and the if the victor wants to take control of a particular province from the loser then he/she must draw up a treaty which officially transfers control of provinces upon surrender.

Now having said all that to clarify how it seems to work, I can agree with the "general" spirit of the rules, but I don't think I agree with how they will actually play out in game play. I may be wrong here, but I suspect that this house rule may have either been based on a pre-patch dynamic, else just a misunderstanding of how conquest or provinces works in the first place?

If I understand this house rule correctly, this is the situation I would have faced in the above example of Russia at war with Austria 1798. Over that 6 or 9 month war, Russia conquered some 6 or so Polish protectorate provinces of the Austiran Empire . . . BUT, we did not take Warsaw, the capital of Poland. As such, if I am interpreting this rule correctly, we would not have been able to demand ANY of those provinces we gobbled up as spoils of war.

I don't think I like that, I don't think it would reflect reality of how territory was gained and lost in real history, and I don't think I want to play with such a house rule; though I'm certainly open to hear advocates of it explain why it would in fact be preferable in terms of being a balancer or an improver of realism.

Without the bugs in the previous model, I tend to think (hope?) that house rules will not prove to be necessary.

< Message edited by Anthropoid -- 6/14/2009 2:25:47 PM >

The x-ray is her siren song. My ship cannot resist her long. Nearer to my deadly goal. Until the black hole. Gains control...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkIIlkyZ328&feature=autoplay&list=AL94UKMTqg-9CocLGbd6tpbuQRxyF4FGNr&playnext=3

(in reply to 06 Maestro)
Post #: 67
RE: PBEM 109 - 6/14/2009 5:25:48 PM   
Matto

Please do not use any house rule ... it is why we will write AAR for be sure that everything is going well and nobody need house rules ...

Excuse my English ... I hope is better then Your Czech ... :o)
My MatrixGames: WitP, WitP AE, WPO, JTCS, P&S, CoGEE, ATG, GoA, B.Academy, C-GW, OoB all DLCs, all SC, FoG2/E, most AGEOD games ...

(in reply to Anthropoid)
Post #: 68
RE: PBEM 109 - 6/14/2009 6:11:01 PM   
06 Maestro

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mus

quote:

The Royal Navy would be happy to sail you as close as the beach... and then shoot you on to it out of our cannons.

Thank you, but that will not be necessary-I prefer a land route anyway. To "vist Great Britain I may have to use a boat-however, my future Vizier of Batavia seems to think some sort of land bridge to cross the channel will be possible. Seems like a lot of trouble for a freindly visit.

Thomas Jefferson

(in reply to Mus)
Post #: 69
RE: PBEM 109 - 6/14/2009 6:35:52 PM   
Anthropoid

quote:

ORIGINAL: Matto

Please do not use any house rule ... it is why we will write AAR for be sure that everything is going well and nobody need house rules ...

Right no house rules. Lets see if the engine works as designed!

The x-ray is her siren song. My ship cannot resist her long. Nearer to my deadly goal. Until the black hole. Gains control...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkIIlkyZ328&feature=autoplay&list=AL94UKMTqg-9CocLGbd6tpbuQRxyF4FGNr&playnext=3

(in reply to Matto)
Post #: 70
RE: PBEM 109 - 6/14/2009 7:33:41 PM   
06 Maestro

Has everyone sent their e-mail address to Terje?
The suspense is growing heavy...

Thomas Jefferson

(in reply to Anthropoid)
Post #: 71
RE: PBEM 109 - 6/14/2009 7:46:31 PM   
IronWarrior

quote:

ORIGINAL: lenin

quote:

quote:

To let the newer players know how it works, Terje will set up everyone for his gain, he will also attack you at every oppertunity.

Heey! What a bad thing to say!

*OOC: Hmm I need to stop visiting the forums this late at night (morning I guess but...)

Terje

He he IW! Couldn't put it better myself. You are absolutely made for France in this game Terje!

LOL I couldn't have said it better myself either! Looking forward to Terje's play as France (or am I?)

(in reply to lenin)
Post #: 72
RE: PBEM 109 - 6/14/2009 7:47:14 PM   
06 Maestro

quote:

Maestro, Spain merges the files... will you be OK with doing that?

I had read over the rules in anticipation of that. As long as my system would allow it I suppose I would accomplish the merge by the second try. I am using Vista, but I have the UAC turned off. I would think it should not be a problem.

BTW, what is the typical file size uncompressed? I was wondering if you can use an email "group"-sending to all in one shot. That would certainly be preferable to sending to each player separately. I think I have a 5 MB limit per email which may prevent me from doing that.

Thomas Jefferson

(in reply to IronWarrior)
Post #: 73
RE: PBEM 109 - 6/14/2009 7:52:09 PM   
IronWarrior

quote:

quote:

Maestro, Spain merges the files... will you be OK with doing that?

I had read over the rules in anticipation of that. As long as my system would allow it I suppose I would accomplish the merge by the second try. I am using Vista, but I have the UAC turned off. I would think it should not be a problem.

BTW, what is the typical file size uncompressed? I was wondering if you can use an email "group"-sending to all in one shot. That would certainly be preferable to sending to each player separately. I think I have a 5 MB limit per email which may prevent me from doing that.

Our hosts in the other games were able to send as a group uncompressed. Would you rather take Spain? or want to stay with Turkey? We can still switch if you want, but I have no problem doing the merging. I thought as a new pbem player I'd let you off the hook for that task.

(in reply to 06 Maestro)
Post #: 74
RE: PBEM 109 - 6/14/2009 8:06:44 PM   
06 Maestro

quote:

..hosts in the other games were able to send as a group uncompressed.

Well, that is good news-that would eliminate the tediousness of the job.

quote:

Would you rather take Spain? or want to stay with Turkey? We can still switch if you want, but I have no problem doing the merging. I thought as a new pbem player I'd let you off the hook for that task.

I think I will stick with Turkey. I tried a couple of short games with Spain, but not enough to get a feel for how to play it. I will be able to play Turkey better.
Thanks for the offer though-appreciated.
Next time around I won't mind being the last player.

Thomas Jefferson

Post #: 75
RE: PBEM 109 - 6/14/2009 8:07:40 PM   
aprezto

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mus

quote:

Excellent! If the Royal Navy is in the habit of offering favours, the people of Prussia - who struggle with the whole 'travel on water' un-naturalness, wonders if any of those 1st raters could maybe trawl a herring net about for a bit?

Salted herring - Wunderbar!

(in reply to Mus)
Post #: 76
RE: PBEM 109 - 6/14/2009 8:48:49 PM   
terje439

Hmm, the turn is ready, but I do not have the email adress of the following people;
-Mus
-Matto

I thought I could deduce it from these from the email list from "another pbem" but I cannot (or I'm too lazy too)

Terje

(in reply to aprezto)
Post #: 77
RE: PBEM 109 - 6/14/2009 8:54:06 PM   
terje439

And Mus and Matto are both offline ofc. Anyone recall their email adress?

Terje

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 78
RE: PBEM 109 - 6/14/2009 9:03:50 PM   
terje439

AAAND THEY ARE OFF!
Good luck gents!

Terje

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 79
RE: PBEM 109 - 6/14/2009 9:28:29 PM   
Matto

Who is playing Spain ... who will merge files ?

My MatrixGames: WitP, WitP AE, WPO, JTCS, P&S, CoGEE, ATG, GoA, B.Academy, C-GW, OoB all DLCs, all SC, FoG2/E, most AGEOD games ...

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 80
RE: PBEM 109 - 6/14/2009 9:29:26 PM   
IronWarrior

quote:

ORIGINAL: Matto

Who is playing Spain ... who will merge files ?

I will (at least attempt to)

(in reply to Matto)
Post #: 81
RE: PBEM 109 - 6/14/2009 9:31:31 PM   
terje439

So, about the AARs.
I say that the first post in each AAR is allowed to be read by the others, just so that we can open the thread and link to it. That way we can all link our AARs together in the opening post.

Terje

Post #: 82
RE: PBEM 109 - 6/14/2009 10:17:04 PM   
Matto

Austria played ... good luck to all !

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 83
RE: PBEM 109 - 6/14/2009 11:21:10 PM   
06 Maestro

Turkey plyed and sent.

Mostly good luck to some of you!

< Message edited by 06 Maestro -- 6/14/2009 11:30:41 PM >

Thomas Jefferson

(in reply to Matto)
Post #: 84
RE: PBEM 109 - 6/14/2009 11:29:22 PM   
Anthropoid

Russian turn played and returned.

Any PBEM 109ers caught in the Russian AAR will be shot on sight!

Just kidding. You can definitely open the first page and link to it. Just don't scroll down and read all my dirty little fermented potatoes secrets . ..

(in reply to 06 Maestro)
Post #: 85
RE: PBEM 109 - 6/14/2009 11:45:32 PM   
IronWarrior

quote:

ORIGINAL: Anthropoid

Russian turn played and returned.

Any PBEM 109ers caught in the Russian AAR will be shot on sight!

Just kidding. You can definitely open the first page and link to it. Just don't scroll down and read all my dirty little fermented potatoes secrets . ..

I haven't received Russia yet... be sure you send the files to me and not Terje from here out (my email listed above somewhere).

(in reply to Anthropoid)
Post #: 86
RE: PBEM 109 - 6/15/2009 12:14:04 AM   
IronWarrior

So far I have France, Austria, Turkey, and GB.

3 to go.

Post #: 87
RE: PBEM 109 - 6/15/2009 12:18:49 AM   
Anthropoid

I'd like to repeat the suggestion/request I made in the thread for "Another PBEM," and it is perhaps even more important given there are now some of us in multiple different COG:EE matches.

If you don't mind, please somewhere in your signature or rank or someplace write something like I and others have there, to label who you are playing in our match the "PBEM 109" match.

Post #: 88
RE: PBEM 109 - 6/15/2009 12:22:05 AM   
aprezto

Prussia in.

Image courtesy of Divepac

(in reply to Anthropoid)
Post #: 89
RE: PBEM 109 - 6/15/2009 12:26:28 AM   
terje439

quote:

ORIGINAL: Anthropoid
If you don't mind, please somewhere in your signature or rank or someplace write something like I and others have there, to label who you are playing in our match the "PBEM 109" match.

So THAT is why you wanted Russia again, to have to edit your signature less.

(in reply to Anthropoid)
Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Napoleonics] >> Crown of Glory: Emperor's Edition >> Opponents Wanted >> RE: PBEM 109 Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI