Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Do you hear the people sing?!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Napoleonics] >> Crown of Glory: Emperor's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Do you hear the people sing?! Page: <<   < prev  8 9 [10] 11 12   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Do you hear the people sing?! - 8/17/2010 8:59:43 PM   
Tophat1815

Russia seems a major mystery to me in this game. Is anyone actually playing Sweden?

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 271
RE: Do you hear the people sing?! - 8/18/2010 3:23:15 PM   
terje439

Yes Russia ia acting on her own, and it is now decided that the Ottoman-French alliance will not deal with her anymore.
Sweden is played, but we have not heared anything from them, the latest happenings about Sweden is;
a) they used privateers against their ally England
b) England broke their alliance

This all happened some time ago.

"Hun skal torpederes!" - Birger Eriksen

("She is to be torpedoed!")

(in reply to Tophat1815)
Post #: 272
RE: Do you hear the people sing?! - 8/20/2010 10:13:26 AM   
terje439

Turn 150

So, WE ARE AT WAR!
The Ottomans issued their DoW on Austria which means we also are at war with Austria, our armies are told to march across Preussian lands and into Austria. Two armies and our Cav-Corps advance, our Inf-Corps returns to Paris.
Now it depends upon what the Dons do...

Attachment (1)

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 273
RE: Do you hear the people sing?! - 8/25/2010 2:12:02 PM   
terje439

Turn 151

Great news!
France, Spain and Preussia now have a Non-Agression pact in place lasting two years. Two years should be more than enough to see the campaign in Austria come to a conclusion.
We capture two ungarrisoned Austrian provinces and the Ottomans capture three provinces in total, inflicting 25.000 casualties in one siege. Vienna is still only lightly defended, but I will not rush ahead, we will take our time and try not to make any mistakes.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 274
RE: Do you hear the people sing?! - 8/31/2010 8:23:10 PM   
lenin

Great to see you guys still playing this pbem after 160 turns or so!

"Imperialism is the eve of the proletarian social revolution"

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 275
RE: Do you hear the people sing?! - 8/31/2010 10:35:46 PM   
terje439

Turn 152

I have to slow down the advance into Austria as my troops die like flies when they are told to march, one army has lost close to 15.000 men per month by marching alone. Yet the situation does not look too good for Austria.

(sorry print/screen did not take)

(in reply to lenin)
Post #: 276
RE: Do you hear the people sing?! - 9/1/2010 11:16:51 AM   
terje439

Turn 153

A setback, the armies of the Ottoman Empire took a beating last month. Nevertheless I have issued orders to march 310.000 French troops on Vienna, if Emperor Matto of Austria-Hungary decides to give battle in Vienna, the war will be decided by the outcome of this battle.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 277
RE: Do you hear the people sing?! - 10/7/2010 3:58:23 PM   
terje439

Turn 154-162

(ooc: due to some health issues I have been forced to keep my typing down to a minimum, so I will have to add up a few turns now. Unfortunately some turns I have also forgotten to take screenshots).

The war with Austria moves back and forth, and the Austrians prove to be a though foe. The French troops take alot of losses, and our economy has to be completely reworked for this war. We decide to max out our dole payments to increase morale, and we also increase our draft rate and tax rate. In the end we manage to make a surplus of some 20 NM per turn, but that only means that we are able to engage in a large battle every 20 turns or so as the Austrians tend to win these fights.

After some initial confusion, Russia, The Ottoman Empire and France finally manage to work as allies, and every move is debated before it is executed, but nevertheless some confusion still exists, but things are working far better than before. The Russians keep advancing in the east, the Ottoman Empire stabs at the Austrian underbelly, and France grabs what we can in the west.
However bringing down the Austrian armies are not easy, and as of last turn the Austrians still mustered 300.000 men. The situation was that both Russia and France was two provinces away from Vienna with their main forces and Austria had all her forces in Vienna. The Russians expressed some worries that the Austrians might strike at her, but I said that France would be a more likely target due to the Russian NM being a comfertable 600 while French NM was around 0, meaning that the Austrians might knock France out of the war with a huge victory.

And they went for it, you knew it when you read the last sentence, did you not?
Well, it backfired! 300.000 Austrian soldiers fled before the 175.000 French troops after battle was initiated, losing 2.5:1 in troops, and one infantry division even surrendered. The best part of it all, was the direction in which Austria retreated.
And the fact that since most of Austria is occupied, she will have a hard time bringing her forces back up to strenght. While Austria lost something I estimate to 4 month worth of reinforcements, France only lost 1 month worth.

Seing the last battle, plans were made up by the alliance, and we are now going to keep harassing the Austrian forces, to make them attack on every turn, and those turns they do not attack, we will. Hopefully we will be able to bring down the Austrian divisions to a size where they simply will not be able to function very well.

At the moment I feel like a wolf who keeps slashing at the hind legs of that sickly, bleeding deer...

Attachment (1)

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 278
RE: Do you hear the people sing?! - 10/8/2010 6:00:02 PM   
Zap

Thank you for the update in spite of your health issues. Dedication!

Now that you and your allies are moving more in conjunction. Things should improve for the victory over Austria. And now that you have the information that allies should not join together in battle. You won't take losses together if one army fails.

You had a good victory congradulations. You needed that

Hope your health improves.

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 279
RE: Do you hear the people sing?! - 10/9/2010 8:42:52 AM   
terje439

Thanks for that Zap, and no worries, my arms are soon back to their former self, well if I keep remembering that there IS after all a max limit of what my joints are capable of lifting and moving around without taking some damage

As to the game, against a less formidable opponent than Matto, I think we would have won allready but Matto fights well. If our plan works as we hope, the Austrian army should shrink rather quickly as only the provinces he controls contribute to give him reinforcements. And that is really what it is all about now, wear down his forces to a point where they cannot stand up against our assaults. After that, Austria will go down fast.

However nowadays I am somewhat at a loss to what the next step should be. There are two alternatives (these do however demand that Spain and Britain remain at war with eachother.
1. France and the Ottoman Empire go for Spain in Spain and N.Africa while Russia threathens (and/or invades) Preussia. This should result in the defeat of Spain rather quickly.
2. Do something completely UNHEARD of! Since I have not lost any ships, the chance of a successful invasion of Britain has never been better. I can land a total of 80+ divisions in Britain in one turn. That is more than two full armies, and with the British fighting against Spain most of her forces are in southern Europe, so an invasion just might succeed. It will cost me some of my fleet as well as tons of money to keep some supply line into Britain, however I should be able to destroy the British fleet in detail as the RN will need to hunt down my supply depots.

Decisions, decisions, decisions...

Terje

(in reply to Zap)
Post #: 280
RE: Do you hear the people sing?! - 10/10/2010 7:09:51 AM   
Mus

Have you thought about attacking Prussia with Russia before attacking Spain with Turkey?

The idea of attacking Britain seems like a bad one to me. Doesn't Britain still have 4 full strength fleets plus a couple smaller ones? That would seem to make a landing difficult and very dangerous. Also isn't Britain still at war with Sweden/Prussia/Spain and why don't you guys make a treaty with Britain to destroy Prussia and Spain (and Sweden if it is worth it) in that order?

Mindset, Tactics, Skill, Equipment
Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 281
RE: Do you hear the people sing?! - 10/10/2010 9:23:52 AM   
terje439

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mus

Have you thought about attacking Prussia with Russia before attacking Spain with Turkey?

That is dangerous to yours truly, Preussia after all can muster only one army while Spain has atleast two full armies. With Russia threathening Berlin there is not much Preussia can do offensively. So I would prefer to take out Spain before Preussia, and ideally before Austria can DoW me again, AND while Britain and Spain is still at war.

quote:

The idea of attacking Britain seems like a bad one to me. Doesn't Britain still have 4 full strength fleets plus a couple smaller ones? That would seem to make a landing difficult and very dangerous. Also isn't Britain still at war with Sweden/Prussia/Spain and why don't you guys make a treaty with Britain to destroy Prussia and Spain (and Sweden if it is worth it) in that order?

True, but if I am EVER to be able to take out Britain, now is the time. It must be done while Austria cannot intervene since they are still allied to some extent. And Britain is also forced to keep her fleets to keep her supply lanes open. And I think I forgot to mention that a war with Britain would be launched by a sneak attack.

But I am not at all sure, just considering the options. However I will go for a Spain first option, with the Ottoman Empire, Britain and France teaming up on Spain she should succoumb rather quickly, then we can take care of a Preussia that needs to guard against Russia. And Britain too needs to fight it out with Preussia since Preussia holds "British" territory and British wars never cease.

Terje

(in reply to Mus)
Post #: 282
RE: Do you hear the people sing?! - 10/10/2010 11:31:55 AM   
Mus

Ah, I had no idea Prussia only had 1 army this late in the game. Sounds like an utterly incompetent Kaiser.

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 283
RE: Do you hear the people sing?! - 10/10/2010 1:28:58 PM   
terje439

Preussia does not really need any more, being allied with Spain ties me down, and he also used to be allied with Britain and Sweden as well as friendly with Austria.

And besides, it is Spain that holds MY provinces after all

Terje

(in reply to Mus)
Post #: 284
RE: Do you hear the people sing?! - 10/11/2010 7:47:25 AM   
Mus

quote:

ORIGINAL: terje439

Preussia does not really need any more, being allied with Spain ties me down, and he also used to be allied with Britain and Sweden as well as friendly with Austria.

And besides, it is Spain that holds MY provinces after all

Yeah, I agree with all that. I thought maybe Prussia would be able to do a 2 front thing for awhile though and thought maybe Spain would be busy with Britain for awhile allowing you guys to knock out Prussia. If Prussia only has 1 army though it makes sense to allow Russia to punish them while you and the Turks punish the Spaniards.

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 285
RE: Do you hear the people sing?! - 10/11/2010 8:05:57 PM   
terje439

And to that Mus...Look below

Terje

(in reply to Mus)
Post #: 286
RE: Do you hear the people sing?! - 10/11/2010 8:14:43 PM   
terje439

Turn 163 (ish, up to date at least)

The dispatch rider is really reliefed that he lives in modern times. If this had been the medieval period he doubts he would survive the day. The news he carries to the Emperor, who is currently personally in charge of the armies in Upper Austria, is far from good.
As he approaches the Emperors tent, he draws his breath once more to calm his nerves before entering. Inside the Emperor and his generals are discussing how to proceed with the war, as the dispatch rider stutters out his business he is ordered to place the dispatches on the table and go and help him self to some food and wine.
He does not get many yards away from the tent before the Emperors voice is heard.

"Nooooo!!! Those pesky Russians did it AGAIN! This does it, they cannot be trusted!"

The dispatch rider quickly moves away. Inside the Emperors tent, the generals look at the Emperor, waiting.

Emperor: Well, the march into an unprotected Vienna proved too much for the Russians. It is a good thing that the Austrians did not make for the city, as that would have forced us into a battle which would then have been to no avail. The Russians only advanced towards the Vienna but stopped shy of the city. Why?! Noone knows, but it seems the Russians wants the war to go on forever. Never again will they be trusted by us to do as we ask. NEVER AGAIN!!!
We will move north and force the smaller Austrian forces into combat, and ask the Ottomans to take the city, I am sure they want to avenge the defeat they had before the city by the hand of Vlad the Impaler 300 years ago anyway!
Let us pray the Austrians does not march on Paris, although it seems like a likely move by them now, being poised at our border....

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 287
RE: Do you hear the people sing?! - 10/12/2010 4:50:16 PM   
terje439

Turn 164

News from the front comes in all through the night, and not one single bit of information is of the depressing kind. In the morning the Emperor allows every man an extra glass of wine.
The Ottoman Empire crushed the main Austrian army, reducing its number to a mere 110.000 men, and have informed the Emperor that they will follow up with an attack again next month. It is soon decided that the Ottoman Empire will take on the Austrian main force while the French go after the smaller Austrian army which is running around retaking ungarrisoned provinces.
With luck the war will end in a few months time.

Also of interest is that the Emperor had been misinformed, and that the Preussians do indeed have two armies, although only one of them is at max strength.
Britain seems to be taking a beating and have retreated into France, for the time being we will allow this.
And finally the French army is ordered to expand with a new artillery division, more queens of the battlefield are needed if we are to take on the Spanish and Preussia.

For the time being finances will be sent to the Ottoman Empire and Russia, but the Sultan has made it clear that in no way will he continue to work with the Tzar.

Things are always changing...

< Message edited by terje439 -- 10/13/2010 7:07:45 PM >

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 288
RE: Do you hear the people sing?! - 10/12/2010 9:54:32 PM   
Zap

Wow things are moving along. 06 maestro was really disalusioned by the Russians. Saying that he won't post updates for a while. Its good you are keeping us informed.

Ottoman Empire gaing the victory over the Austrians was a major change in your war.

What? you said cannons to take on the Ottoman Empire?!!!!!? Your already talking about a future battle with your ally! You have the proper characteristics for a napolean Lol.

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 289
RE: Do you hear the people sing?! - 10/13/2010 7:08:22 PM   
terje439

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zap

Wow things are moving along. 06 maestro was really disalusioned by the Russians. Saying that he won't post updates for a while. Its good you are keeping us informed.

Ottoman Empire gaing the victory over the Austrians was a major change in your war.

What? you said cannons to take on the Ottoman Empire?!!!!!? Your already talking about a future battle with your ally! You have the proper characteristics for a napolean Lol.

Haha nice catch, a freudian slip...Fixed

(in reply to Zap)
Post #: 290
RE: Do you hear the people sing?! - 10/15/2010 2:14:06 PM   
terje439

Turn 165

Or the %&¤%&-turn which it will be known as.
I had my pbem policies set to discuss with other players as I thought that was needed to be able to trade with them.
So, Emperor Matto the Clever of Austria sent an offer of a limited surrender last turn, which the AI decided I wanted...
Nevertheless I got a lot more Victory Points than I feared, so the Austrian war machine will not be as well led from now on.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 291
RE: Do you hear the people sing?! - 10/16/2010 10:44:05 AM   
terje439

Turn 165, really 181

Peace means that my expenses has increaed, so I must cut down on expenses and can no longer continue to throw cash to Russia and the Ottoman Empire at the previous grade.
I now need to get a cash reserve before a war with Spain and Preussia, and my troops needs reinforcements. At the present time we gain aproxomately 25.000 reinforcements per month, so
hopefully we will soon be at full strength.

NM is another concern, being at a mere 287 AFTER accepting a surrender in a war. We have our welfare set HIGH, and we are still increasing it, this is the same reason for why our taxes are not set to 20, but 17% as well.

After having a quick look at the arts screen, it seems unlikely that I will improve my standings in that department, trailing Austria, Spain and Russia with 30, 40 and 60 art centres.

Britain and France has signed a secret "shared depots" treaty which will take effect next turn, but I am not sure what to think about the ongoing war between Britain and Preussia/Spain. Britain is now fighting in Preussia, not in Spain. British NM is at 950ish, and Preussia and Spain both have a NM at around 1000.
I fear I might have to issue a DoW sooner than expected to simply keep the British in the fight.

Austrian NM is now around -800, so Russia and the Ottoman Empire should soon have the Austrians surrender to them, and next month roughly 75% of the Austrian officers will be dismissed as well, making their armies all the less potent.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 292
RE: Do you hear the people sing?! - 10/17/2010 12:14:29 PM   
terje439

Turn 182

So, we are once more at peace, and there is really not much going on. The armies sits in French territory and are told to do nothing untill they regain their strength. Preussia and Britain keeps battling it out with small battles, Britain being the winner this time around.
I fear I might have to go to war before I am ready to aid Britain...
Also got some intel that the Preussians have a total of 4 artillery pieces, of which one is a heavy artillery. That should mean that the army containing that piece can be outrun and outmanouvered due to the low speed of the heavy artillery.

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 293
RE: Do you hear the people sing?! - 10/17/2010 11:49:09 PM   
evwalt

Harsh surrender terms!  Did you have any thoughts of being less harsh with the hope of someday working with the Austrians? 

Russia in "Going Again II"
France in "Quest for Glory"
Prussia in "Invitational"

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 294
RE: Do you hear the people sing?! - 10/18/2010 7:41:21 PM   
terje439

Not really.
The Austrians needed to be taken down, and I needed to secure my flank against the war with Spain/Preussia that looms.
This way, the Austrian armies are severly reduced in capabilities, in fact they should be so reduced that one army on defense should be enough to counter an invasion by all of Austria if she comes for revenge.

The only way the Austrians would have gotten off easy would have been if they surrendered 5-6 turns earlier, but if they insist on a prolonged war, well they will have to pay for it.

Terje

(in reply to evwalt)
Post #: 295
RE: Do you hear the people sing?! - 10/19/2010 10:21:06 AM   
terje439

Turn 183

We have started comunications with the British. They are really struggling with the Preussians, we have offered military aid in preferable 5 months, but can do so sooner if needed.
We do however require the British to form an alliance with the Ottoman Empire, Russia and France to do this. If not, let them take a beating...
I would also ask them to respect Switzerland as French territory...

Attachment (1)

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 296
RE: Do you hear the people sing?! - 10/19/2010 10:10:50 PM   
Zap

Your asking the Brits to set treaties with the other two. Can they even do this? Particularly if the Brits are allied with Austria. Or are they?
What is the requiremnet for treaties?

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 297
RE: Do you hear the people sing?! - 10/20/2010 5:54:13 PM   
terje439

Should not be any trouble, they are allready allied with the Ottomans.

(in reply to Zap)
Post #: 298
RE: Do you hear the people sing?! - 10/20/2010 5:57:25 PM   
terje439

Turn 184

The Austrian war is over, Austria surrenders to Russia and the Ottoman Empire. This should mean that the Austrians lose their Empire status and see their realm severly reduced. I think Russia wants 5 provinces, and the Ottomans 4.
Britain has fled the continent, this is somewhat disturbing, is this to rebuild their forces or will they offer a cease fire?
French demands for textiles is holding back the formation of certain units, well we will make do with good old fashioned muskets, bayonets and sabres anyway!

Attachment (1)

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 299
RE: Do you hear the people sing?! - 10/21/2010 8:07:21 AM   
terje439

Turn 185

The British army seems to have disbanded a few divisions as some of their divisions show off at 12.000 strength
We also spot a small oppertunity to increase our empire status in southern Europe.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 300
Page:   <<   < prev  8 9 [10] 11 12   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Napoleonics] >> Crown of Glory: Emperor's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Do you hear the people sing?! Page: <<   < prev  8 9 [10] 11 12   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI