Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

General promotion mechanism

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Napoleonics] >> Crown of Glory: Emperor's Edition >> General promotion mechanism Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
General promotion mechanism - 6/16/2009 10:18:19 AM   
ptan54

In FOF you have full control over who to promote. Unless I'm missing something (and this is possible, I've only been playing for a few days), it seems you don't get to decide who to promote at all - if a general breaks the fame barrier, he is AUTOMATICALLY promoted. This IMHO is not the way to go - there have been many famous commanders throughout history denied promotions for various reasons. I think of fame as a pre-requisite, you need X fame to rise to this rank. It shouldn't be the case that just because someone is famous he is AUTOMATICALLY promoted, the govt authorities need to promote him as well.

For example let's say I have a great 1 star and I really want to promote him to 3 stars. He commands a division in a corps. I have a mediocre 2 star commanding the corps. I fight a big battle and win. 2 star gets more fame and becomes a 3 star, 1 star not so much.

Can anyone explain the process if I'm wrong about this? If I'm right, I do hope the devs will take this into account. Cheers.
Post #: 1
RE: General promotion mechanism - 6/19/2009 7:30:35 AM   
ptan54

Anyone?

(in reply to ptan54)
Post #: 2
RE: General promotion mechanism - 6/19/2009 1:19:14 PM   
morganbj

Given that I seldom lose a leader, I've never paid any atention to the promotion scheme.  In fact, I don't know if I've ever seen happen, although as many games as I've played it must have.  I guess I just don't have any particular problem with the rule as it is.

(in reply to ptan54)
Post #: 3
RE: General promotion mechanism - 6/19/2009 6:15:17 PM   
Russian Guard

Having complete control over whom to promote is what some players prefer, others would complain about that too (in fact, have).

Actually, you _can_ control this to some degree - make sure the Generals you want promoted first, get more action. Sideline guys that you do not want to get more Fame. Yes, that means a General is sitting out, cooling his heels somewhere, but that's "realisitc" too. Often times, politics played a role in who got to see action - and who got promoted.

(in reply to ptan54)
Post #: 4
RE: General promotion mechanism - 6/20/2009 9:32:01 AM   
ptan54

Why is it so difficult to implement something that's already been implemented for FOF? If I have a superb 1 star but a not so great 2 star, I still want to have the 2 star in the battle to give the army a boost, even though I'm looking to build up the 1 star. There is a hardcoded limit on the number of 3 stars and 2 stars you are allowed to have right? If the mediocre 2 star makes it to 3 stars, that means 1 less 3 star slot for my promising 1 star.

(in reply to ptan54)
Post #: 5
RE: General promotion mechanism - 6/20/2009 6:39:06 PM   
Russian Guard

Well I'm not a coder but I didn't say it would be hard to code; rather that some players prefer it the way it is now, and if it was changed then you'd have the other side of the argument wanting it back the way it was.

Again, you can control who gets promoted by the method I mention above. Yes, promotions are limited but thats easily moddable if you want unlimited promotions. Its in the Players.txt file.

(in reply to ptan54)
Post #: 6
RE: General promotion mechanism - 6/22/2009 5:18:30 AM   
Gil R.

There might be other reasons that I don't remember for not retrofitting this from FOF, but no doubt the main one was that generals are not as important in COG:EE as in FOF, and therefore this would have represented a significant amount of work for a feature that would not be universally viewed as an improvement.

(in reply to Russian Guard)
Post #: 7
RE: General promotion mechanism - 6/22/2009 6:21:46 PM   
ericbabe

FOF general code diverges from COG and so cannot simply be retrofitted.  We did consciously make the design decision not to give all the details to COG generals that we did to FOF generals simply because it seems to us that there aren't as many Napoleonic commanders enthusiasts as there are ACW commander enthusiasts. 

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Napoleonics] >> Crown of Glory: Emperor's Edition >> General promotion mechanism Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI