Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Is this supposed to happen...?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Napoleonics] >> Crown of Glory: Emperor's Edition >> Is this supposed to happen...? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Is this supposed to happen...? - 6/24/2009 8:08:49 AM   
moose1999

Was at war with Prussia (playing as Sweden) and allied with Austria who had sent armies into Prussia heading for the capital in Brandenburg.
I was sitting with my army in the neighbouring province, Mecklenburg (which was mine from a recent coup) waiting for the Austrians to pound the Prussians after which I was planning to sweep in and mop up the rest (yes, a coward's approach, I know )

So, the Austrians attacked Brandenburg and the main Prussian army located there and it came to a fight which the Austrians lost.
Which suited me fine as I would then be able to attack the weakened Prussian forces in the following turn and get the bonus of conquering the capital.

But when the turn was over I read the events report and saw that the battle in Brandenburg had been between Prussia and Austria + Sweden...!
And then read that my army had taken crippling attrition losses from being out of supply.
What...!?

What had happened was, apparently, that my army had been called to the battle in Brandenburg as reinforcements by my ally, the Austrians, without me having any control over it, and had then participated, lost and retreated with the Austrians to a province on the other side of Brandenburg, of course out of reach of my supply depots.

My army had no movement orders and I did not get any option to join battle or not.
Is this working as intended?

regards,

Briny
Post #: 1
RE: Is this supposed to happen...? - 6/24/2009 8:25:19 AM   
ptan54

Strongly believe that you should at least get control over your troops. Ideally you should be given the option to refuse participation - bickering among allies was all too common!

(in reply to moose1999)
Post #: 2
RE: Is this supposed to happen...? - 6/24/2009 8:41:09 AM   
Russian Guard

Yep, that's almost certainly what happened. Being Allies has a downside - they expect you to help them ;-)

(in reply to moose1999)
Post #: 3
RE: Is this supposed to happen...? - 6/24/2009 8:56:22 AM   
moose1999

Yeah, but I expect to at least be able to lead my men in battle and not have them sent to their deaths by the obviously inept generals of the Austrian empire...!

Anyway, the only way out of this trap turned out to be canceling my alliance with Austria.
I tried moving away and activating the 'avoid battle' button, but still got drawn into the trap.

Then I tried attacking Brandenburg myself hoping I would at least provoke a detailed battle, but that didn't work either.
My army was still just drawn into a battle I had no control over and slaughtered (a shame as that would have been a really interesting detailed battle, me and Austria against a tough Prussian army...).
Looks like the Austrians had better initiative than me and joined battle with Prussia first, thereby activating the 'trap' by calling on my army as reinforcements before I could move myself.

Anyway, I canceled my alliance with Austria and avoided the trap. This was NOT part of my master plan at all, but it at least has not made my game any LESS interesting.
Gotta get another solid alliance going fast before the French see I'm weak and decide to take revenge on me for all the tricks I've played on them the past few years...

But it really would be nice to have been able to aprticipate in the battle.
I like the idea of being drawn into an unwanted battle once in a while - but please give me control of my own men by letting me fight the detailed battle...!

regards,

Briny

(in reply to Russian Guard)
Post #: 4
RE: Is this supposed to happen...? - 6/24/2009 12:49:33 PM   
Hard Sarge

but, in this case, you were not the commanding Officer, so you were subject to the orders of the one who was

and yeap, it is not a good thing to have happen, but it works both ways

(watch out for getting into a sea battle with Spain as your allies, they are slow, get in the way, and break fast and take you down the drain with them, when they run away)

(in reply to moose1999)
Post #: 5
RE: Is this supposed to happen...? - 6/24/2009 1:24:37 PM   
morganbj

Yeah, I just watched an army that was sieging Paris get pulled into a battle into an adjacent provicnce by my brilliant strategic maneuvers.  (Well, I guess I was a little lucky, too.)  So, I massacred the first army, then as the reinforcements rolled in from Paris, I creamed them piecemeal.  All the Ossties retreated towards Vienna, saving Paris.  Works both ways.

But it does tick me off when it happens to me. 

(in reply to Hard Sarge)
Post #: 6
RE: Is this supposed to happen...? - 6/24/2009 1:47:11 PM   
moose1999

Still, shouldn't I at least get (the option to) to fight a detailed battle?
The unplanned for battles are usually the most fun to play, so it's kind of a shame that you don't get to fight a battle like the one I described above.

It would have been a great one, I think.

Sarge:
You say the Austrian general was "the commanding officer" - how is that determined?
By rank/abilities?
Or would it always be the Austrian general because he initiated combat while I'm just the reinforcements?

regards,

Briny

(in reply to morganbj)
Post #: 7
RE: Is this supposed to happen...? - 6/24/2009 6:02:22 PM   
Russian Guard

quote:

ORIGINAL: briny_norman

Sarge:
You say the Austrian general was "the commanding officer" - how is that determined?
By rank/abilities?
Or would it always be the Austrian general because he initiated combat while I'm just the reinforcements?

I'm not Sarge (thank God ) but yeah, reinforcing forces arrive after the battle starts, and so wouldn't be the Commanding General.

(in reply to moose1999)
Post #: 8
RE: Is this supposed to happen...? - 6/24/2009 6:34:42 PM   
Randomizer

This is interesting and I have not encountered it before.  Generally I try to stay out of formal alliances (to avoid too many "Imperial entanglements") but if this is working as designed it presents some neat potential problems.  In the days when long distance communications travelled at the speed of a horse, it's easy to imagine that a field commander might march to the sound of the Allies guns without regard for the plans and visions of the national command authority (18th Century version) on that particular day.

While I do not know enough about the land campaigns of the period to cite specific instances, there were historically any number of actions that came about in spite of rather than because of the desires of the soverign or supreme leader.  Cool that this situation seems to be replicated in CoG-EE.

Best Regards

(in reply to Russian Guard)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Napoleonics] >> Crown of Glory: Emperor's Edition >> Is this supposed to happen...? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI