Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Attack Strengths

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> Attack Strengths Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Attack Strengths - 7/4/2009 1:40:31 AM   
sgtabell

Hi all,

Still have TOAW on my old laptop....and now am getting back into III. Please feel free to direct me to anything explaining how attack strengths are calculated. Thanks in advance.

To start with, I know some units have better attack strengths against different unit types, (I got the basics...;-)

Attack Strengths

I am looking at different scenarios, and the units in them, and I have a couple of questions about the attack strengths listed in different places.

First off, I understand the attack strength on the unit itself, and where it comes from. But what is the second number, like 8+2? I read that it is attack strength and distance combined somewhere. Where does the second number come from?

Second question, How is the attack strength calculated in that planning window? Sometimes it starts with a number, other times not, but when the unit attacking is clicked on, there is x + y....where and how are they calculated. I have seen nothing in the manual about terrain benefits of the attacker.

Third Question I understand that readiness plays into this, and I assume supply, but if the attack strength is by default, the anti-personnel score, why does it sometimes get doubled in some scenarios?

(Just to be clear, I am using the Anonymous Heroics and Tutorial to look at this.)

Again, thanks.

SgtA
Post #: 1
RE: Attack Strengths - 7/4/2009 9:00:44 AM   
el cid

Those attack numbers you are talking about are really not used by the computer engine, they are only a general values to let the player get an idea of how good the unit is.

Now those numbers 8+2 means it has an antipersonal strenght of 8 and an anti-armor of 2 (but again these are only general value not used by the game).

The values showed depend on the equipment asigned to the unit, and those numbers already reflect the effects of supply, readiness and proficiency. They do not reflect terrain modifiers.

At least this is what I have learned over the years.

(in reply to sgtabell)
Post #: 2
RE: Attack Strengths - 7/4/2009 3:11:39 PM   
ralphtricky

El Cid is right. It AP+AT. The other number is the defense.

The only thing I might add is that these are scaled so that the largest unit will only have a 30, so the same unit in two different scenraios may have different values shown.

TOAW doesn't use thiese values, it resolves the individual shots against the individual equipment, so they're only ballpark numbers. It resolves AT and AP attacks separately, so these numbers, are important.

I'm pretty sure that the Combat window just sums the defender values to get those values. If any of the defenders is unknows, it leaves the value as unknown, that's why you only see it sometimes.

One that I like is a simple one called Arracourt in the classics folder. It's about as small as you can get, so there are opportunites to try different strategies easily.

Ralph

Ralph Trickey
TOAW IV Programmer
Blog: http://operationalwarfare.com
---
My comments are my own, and do not represent the views of any other person or entity. Nothing that I say should be construed in any way as a promise of anything.

(in reply to el cid)
Post #: 3
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> Attack Strengths Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI