Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

My Best-Ever Trade?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> PureSim Baseball >> My Best-Ever Trade? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
My Best-Ever Trade? - 7/6/2009 9:47:13 PM   
KG Erwin

Even without DiMaggio, the Yankees lead the AL with an 18-6 record. Tommy Henrich is now their everyday CF.

The only thing I can figure is that Joe's POT rating shows a down arrow, and he was going to be a FA at the end of the season. A simple case of salary dumping? Perhaps. Of course, the first thing I did was to sign DiMaggio to an extended contract, and Joe is now the most popular man in Brooklyn. However, the look on Joe's face seems to need a caption: "How did I end up HERE?"

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by KG Erwin -- 7/7/2009 10:23:21 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: My Best-Ever Trade - 7/6/2009 9:56:08 PM   
Wrathchild

Blasphemy.

J.G. Wrathchild, Manager, St. Louis Cardinals (1900-1906), Brooklyn Superbas (1907, 1908)

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 2
RE: My Best-Ever Trade - 7/6/2009 10:49:56 PM   
KG Erwin

quote:

ORIGINAL: Wrathchild

Blasphemy.

LOL -- for Brooklynites, it's a slap in the face to "the evil empire". Hey, the Yankee GM actually said, at the time, "that's a great deal!" He didn't even ask for the Brooklyn Bridge as a throw-in.

Now, to be honest, I went after Ted Williams first, but Boston's GM simply said, politely,"Thank you for the offer, but no."

< Message edited by KG Erwin -- 7/6/2009 10:55:17 PM >

(in reply to Wrathchild)
Post #: 3
RE: My Best-Ever Trade - 7/7/2009 9:22:22 PM   
bugs_raymond

More importantly -- how in the name of a** did the Yankees accept Pete freaking Coscarart in exchange for DiMag ?!!?!

quote:

ORIGINAL: KG Erwin

Even without DiMaggio, the Yankees lead the AL with an 18-6 record. Tommy Henrich is now their everyday CF.

The only thing I can figure is that Joe's POT rating shows a down arrow, and he was going to be a FA at the end of the season. A simple case of salary dumping? Perhaps. Of course, the first thing I did was to sign DiMaggio to an extended contract, and Joe is now the most popular man in Brooklyn. However, the look on Joe's face seems to need a caption: "How did I end up HERE?"

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 4
RE: My Best-Ever Trade - 7/7/2009 10:05:04 PM   
KG Erwin

Bugs, I'm still trying to figure it out. There are three possible factors involved: (1) the Yanks were running low on cash; (2) Joe was gonna be a FA at the end of '39; (3) that down arrow (peaking at 25?).

I ran an experiment, shopping DiMaggio to all teams. Apparently, Joe does not have a very high trade value (in PS terms). Here's the results:

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by KG Erwin -- 7/7/2009 10:13:42 PM >

(in reply to bugs_raymond)
Post #: 5
RE: My Best-Ever Trade? - 7/7/2009 10:28:49 PM   
KG Erwin

So, I added a question mark to my topic. Why? Because I have no idea how this will play out over the next few years. Sure, Joe has been sensational for me in 1939, but the key will be tracing his improvement (or decline) in 1940 and beyond. I'm thinking that the three seasons Joe lost to military service (1943-45) may play a part in his POT rating. That's gotta be it, as you will recall that even though he returned to baseball in 1946, he was never quite the same, and started getting hurt. In Joe's last year (1951) he hit .263.

I got a PM from Don Braswell that confirms my suspicions. During the war years, the AI will not play DiMaggio. Also note that he turned down an extension for 5 years, but accepted a 4-year deal (i.e., through 1942). Interesting.

These notions are giving me second thoughts on continuing. Either I should've started earlier, say in 1935 or 1936, or later (1946). I'm thinking of discontinuing this association and starting over in '46.

< Message edited by KG Erwin -- 7/8/2009 3:05:58 AM >

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> PureSim Baseball >> My Best-Ever Trade? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI