Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: My Counters Mod

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> WW2: Time of Wrath >> Scenarios and Mods >> RE: My Counters Mod Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: My Counters Mod - 9/16/2009 7:42:42 PM   
LarryP

quote:

ORIGINAL: NefariousKoel

Hey Swatter?  You have any plans to update this mod to 1.60?  It doesn't work properly with the new version. 

Yeah, I'm bummed out about these counters not working now.

(in reply to NefariousKoel)
Post #: 31
RE: My Counters Mod - 9/17/2009 12:37:45 AM   
parusski

Bummed out here too. As a matter of fact, I don't want to play till I can use these counters. They were perfect in my eyes.

"I hate newspapermen. They come into camp and pick up their camp rumors and print them as facts. I regard them as spies, which, in truth, they are. If I killed them all there would be news from Hell before breakfast."- W.T. Sherman

(in reply to LarryP)
Post #: 32
RE: My Counters Mod - 9/17/2009 6:32:03 AM   
Uxbridge

Totally agree with you, guys. I'm using my own graphics, but I don't want to play anything before I have finished them. Its a bit strange that one can be so graphically oriented, but I have noticed this in many other circumstances too. As a youngster I had great problems liking music if the LP-cover was in the rather common black and white with high contrast. Same goes for books. With a crude cover the words inside them seems to suffer in a most peculiar way.

I wasn't going to start any work with the graphics until 1.60 was safely in port, but I couldn't contain myself and yesterday afternoon I was hard at work doing it. Hopefully I will be ready later tonight.

(in reply to parusski)
Post #: 33
RE: My Counters Mod - 9/17/2009 9:18:11 PM   
Michael the Pole

As someone who is completely awestruck by anyone who can get a computer to draw a tic-tac-toe board, I think that the whole thing is amazing. I hope that Swatter is working on an update, and I cant wait to see what Uxbridge comes up with.

I have some suggestions/reminders, though. You need to be able to distinguish between strategic bombers, bombers and fighters (we've apparently abandoned the idea of ground attack aircraft in 1.60) I've always had problems distinguishing between battle units and patrol units and even subs. For all of us old color blind farts, it helps to use radically different colors for each country. (I was having a tough time distinguishing Swatter's Russiams from Americans from British troops.) It would sure be nice if you could put some sort of symbol on the counters to distinguish SS and Soviet Gaurd units from the "goats." I thought Swatter's black armored symbols would be kool -- perhaps all black NATO symbals for SS and all red for Soviet Gaurds?
Thanks in advance for all your hard work!

< Message edited by Michael the Pole -- 9/17/2009 9:21:01 PM >

"One scoundrel is a disgrace, two is a law-firm, and three or more is a Congress." B. Franklin

Mike

A tribute to my heroes: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fRU2tlE5m8

(in reply to Uxbridge)
Post #: 34
RE: My Counters Mod - 9/17/2009 10:53:36 PM   
Uxbridge

There will be a lot of colours on my counters. Divisions will be separated from corps with filled symbols in black; different tech-levels will be shown in different colours. Air units (only) will have a blue background, probably dark blue for bombers (most important to spot easily). I haven't yet decided how to do the air symbols. To few pixels to make really good differentiation. But I'll figure something out. Presently struggling with not to well-known features of Photoshop.

All in all, I like the game to look like a GMT-boardgame.

(in reply to Michael the Pole)
Post #: 35
RE: My Counters Mod - 9/18/2009 10:35:04 PM   
Tomokatu

I shall wait. It will be worth waiting.

(in reply to Uxbridge)
Post #: 36
RE: My Counters Mod - 9/19/2009 2:25:28 AM   
swatter555

It shouldn't be a big deal, Ill update them. Ill also take a look at the colors I was using again, see if I can make them clearer for colorblind folks (which includes me). I am not sure if I want to make distinctive planes for each nation, but who knows I might. I am also going to switch Soviet units to corps and armies.

(in reply to Tomokatu)
Post #: 37
RE: My Counters Mod - 9/19/2009 2:29:36 AM   
LarryP

(in reply to swatter555)
Post #: 38
RE: My Counters Mod - 9/19/2009 3:14:33 AM   
swatter555

quote:

ORIGINAL: Michael the Pole

As someone who is completely awestruck by anyone who can get a computer to draw a tic-tac-toe board, I think that the whole thing is amazing. I hope that Swatter is working on an update, and I cant wait to see what Uxbridge comes up with.

I have some suggestions/reminders, though. You need to be able to distinguish between strategic bombers, bombers and fighters (we've apparently abandoned the idea of ground attack aircraft in 1.60) I've always had problems distinguishing between battle units and patrol units and even subs. For all of us old color blind farts, it helps to use radically different colors for each country. (I was having a tough time distinguishing Swatter's Russiams from Americans from British troops.) It would sure be nice if you could put some sort of symbol on the counters to distinguish SS and Soviet Gaurd units from the "goats." I thought Swatter's black armored symbols would be kool -- perhaps all black NATO symbals for SS and all red for Soviet Gaurds?

Sorry to say that special units such as guards and SS troops don't get special chits. The good news is that fighters, tac bombers, and strat bombers get their own chits, broken down by tech level in addition. A very nice improvement. Ill work on them tonight and see where that gets me.

Note- Ill will be posting the new counters in a clean thread.

Post #: 39
RE: My Counters Mod - 9/19/2009 9:10:31 AM   
swatter555

I have done some initial work, here is what I have at this moment. This is a screen from Overlord. I am wondering why aircraft counters no longer display type (div/corps)?

Attachment (1)

(in reply to swatter555)
Post #: 40
RE: My Counters Mod - 9/19/2009 1:34:23 PM   
Bleck

quote:

ORIGINAL: swatter555
I am wondering why aircraft counters no longer display type (div/corps)?

Because they don't have any ;)

Wastelands Interactive member (Programmer)

(in reply to swatter555)
Post #: 41
RE: My Counters Mod - 9/19/2009 1:52:12 PM   
Erik Rutins

That's looking great, Swatter!

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Bleck)
Post #: 42
RE: My Counters Mod - 9/19/2009 2:20:32 PM   
Michael the Pole

Swatter, are you using a different color for Americans and Limeys? "Cause if you are, I can't tell it. Off the cuff, I didn't recognize any US combat units, but I think that there were some aircraft and they looked the same to me as the Brits.
Love the aircraft silhouettes, though. I assume that you're using a 2 engine type for bombers and a 4 engine silhouette for Strat Bombers. Suggest you try a Mosquito for the normal bombers, that reverse swept wing is easy to distinguish
Great job.

< Message edited by Michael the Pole -- 9/19/2009 2:24:18 PM >

"One scoundrel is a disgrace, two is a law-firm, and three or more is a Congress." B. Franklin

Mike

(in reply to swatter555)
Post #: 43
RE: My Counters Mod - 9/19/2009 8:44:45 PM   
swatter555

quote:

Swatter, are you using a different color for Americans and Limeys? "Cause if you are, I can't tell it. Off the cuff, I didn't recognize any US combat units, but I think that there were some aircraft and they looked the same to me as the Brits.
Love the aircraft silhouettes, though. I assume that you're using a 2 engine type for bombers and a 4 engine silhouette for Strat Bombers. Suggest you try a Mosquito for the normal bombers, that reverse swept wing is easy to distinguish
Great job.

In the Overlord scenario, the Allies are just one country. In the grand campaign, the US is olive green and the brits are brown. Also, keep in mind that I can only affect the color on the symbol, not the background on the counter itself. The fighters are P-51s, the tacs are Mosquitos (just very pixelated), and the strats are B-17s. The bad thing about some aircraft siloeuttes is that they get too pixelated when they get small.

If anyone wants to submit any A/C siloeuttes that are better than mine, please do I will include them. Keep in mind they will need to be about 25x20.

Post #: 44
RE: My Counters Mod - 9/20/2009 1:43:28 AM   
H. Hoth

quote:

and even subs....yep you are a Polish lawyer.

"in the absence of orders, go find something and kill it"
Generaloberst E. Rommel

Post #: 45
RE: My Counters Mod - 9/20/2009 5:08:38 AM   
Magpius

Chill out H.H

(in reply to H. Hoth)
Post #: 46
RE: My Counters Mod - 9/20/2009 8:23:55 AM   
swatter555

Ok, I decided to put some time into them and get something I really liked. The counters are a little bigger and all pertinent info fits on the counter. Here is a zoomed in screen from Overlord.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Magpius)
Post #: 47
RE: My Counters Mod - 9/20/2009 8:27:12 AM   
swatter555

It still looks real good as you unzoom to just below the next major zoom level. The forum pictures don't do it enough justice.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to swatter555)
Post #: 48
RE: My Counters Mod - 9/20/2009 1:39:12 PM   
Bleck

quote:

Also, keep in mind that I can only affect the color on the symbol, not the background on the counter itself

Color of counter background is taken from countries.csv in each scenario (first color written in hex format).

You can also make all counters using the same color by placing background (whole or just part of it, also using transparency if you want to blend with colorized background) behind every symbol. This is because game is drawing unit in this order:
1. Background (colorized to country color)
2. Symbol (not colorized)
3. Flag
4. All other symbols from info.png
5. Texts (name, AP and strength)

< Message edited by Bleck -- 9/20/2009 1:49:19 PM >

Wastelands Interactive member (Programmer)

(in reply to swatter555)
Post #: 49
RE: My Counters Mod - 9/20/2009 8:21:30 PM   
NefariousKoel

Good stuff Swatter!

If I may make a suggestion..  Perhaps reducing the size of the armored unit's (and mech unit's) inner symbol?  Or making it more oval?  I guess it's just preference..

(in reply to Bleck)
Post #: 50
RE: My Counters Mod - 10/10/2009 7:20:48 AM   
Tomokatu

Am I pushing too hard, swatter, if I ask how development on your counters, suitable for Patch 1.6, is progressing?
I was so impressed with your designs for V1,5 that I want to continue using them in V1.6.

For every action, there is an equal and opposite malfunction

(in reply to NefariousKoel)
Post #: 51
RE: My Counters Mod - 10/10/2009 8:41:22 AM   
Michael the Pole

I love it too.

I really don't understand HH's major malfunction other than adolescence (I hope). He remids me of Sam Clemens' statement that "It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt."

Mike

(in reply to Tomokatu)
Post #: 52
RE: My Counters Mod - 10/11/2009 1:45:40 AM   
willgamer

Swatter,

Add me to the list of fans who was using your counters pre-patch and would love to use them again with 1.6.

Rex Lex or Lex Rex?

Post #: 53
RE: My Counters Mod - 10/12/2009 1:06:11 AM   
swatter555

No! Not the pressure!!

Hehe, not a problem. I reworked them a little bit more and slacked off because the patch took forever to come out. I have a few countries done and the rest shouldn't take too long. The counters are a little more intricate than the last time and therfore take a little longer to do. I am yearning to play the patched version myself, so don't distress, I will finish soon.

(in reply to LarryP)
Post #: 54
RE: My Counters Mod - 10/12/2009 4:45:24 AM   
swatter555

To be specific, I will plan to finish by this coming weekend (16/17). It takes me about an hour to do a unique country, and I probably have another 5 or 6 unique ones to do.

(in reply to swatter555)
Post #: 55
RE: My Counters Mod - 10/12/2009 6:02:59 PM   
Tomokatu

YAAAAYYYYY!!!!!

Take the whole week and get 'em right. (No pressure!)
Hell, Take TWO as long as you keep us No, just ME! updated on progress.
Wouldn't like to think of you falling asleep under your mushroom and missing a whole year.

(in reply to swatter555)
Post #: 56
RE: My Counters Mod - 10/12/2009 8:31:36 PM   
von Schmidt

As yet another fan of your mod, I look forward to the 1.6 version.
Thanks for your efforts!

Cheers,

-von Schmidt

(in reply to swatter555)
Post #: 57
RE: My Counters Mod - 10/14/2009 6:17:08 AM   
swatter555

Almost done, definately by Friday.

(in reply to von Schmidt)
Post #: 58
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> WW2: Time of Wrath >> Scenarios and Mods >> RE: My Counters Mod Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI