Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: THE THREAD!!!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> RE: THE THREAD!!! Page: <<   < prev  724 725 [726] 727 728   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 4/9/2010 8:31:30 PM   
Apollo11

Hi all,

quote:

ORIGINAL: Terminus

Well, April 9th is here again. Fewer and fewer Danes know what happened every year...

It's the same thing everywhere...

Leo "Apollo11"

Prior Preparation & Planning Prevents Pathetically Poor Performance!

A & B: WitW, WitE, WbtS, GGWaW, GGWaW2-AWD, HttR, CotA, BftB, CF
P: UV, WitP, WitP-AE

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 21751
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 4/9/2010 9:06:58 PM   
Apollo11

Hi all,

Zsssssssssss time...

Leo "Apollo11"

Prior Preparation & Planning Prevents Pathetically Poor Performance!

A & B: WitW, WitE, WbtS, GGWaW, GGWaW2-AWD, HttR, CotA, BftB, CF
P: UV, WitP, WitP-AE

(in reply to Apollo11)
Post #: 21752
LOG! - 4/9/2010 9:28:31 PM   
Nikademus

I could use some Zzzzz....

(in reply to Apollo11)
Post #: 21753
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 4/9/2010 9:34:37 PM   
Grollub

SLR.

“Not mastering metaphores is like cooking pasta when the train is delayed"

(in reply to Nikademus)
Post #: 21754
LOG! - 4/9/2010 9:44:15 PM   
Nikademus

(in reply to Grollub)
Post #: 21755
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 4/9/2010 9:54:26 PM   
Grollub

G'night gents

“Not mastering metaphores is like cooking pasta when the train is delayed"

(in reply to Nikademus)
Post #: 21756
log! - 4/9/2010 10:13:17 PM   
Nikademus

nite!

(in reply to Grollub)
Post #: 21757
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 4/9/2010 10:16:26 PM   
Onime No Kyo

Post work tithe. Hello weekend.

"Mighty is the Thread! Great are its works and insane are its inhabitants!" -Brother Mynok

(in reply to Onime No Kyo)
Post #: 21758
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 4/9/2010 10:20:02 PM   
Onime No Kyo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

What sort of drugs are you using to control your seasonal (?) atopy / inhalant (?) allergies?

Benadryl is the only OTC thing that actually works. It also has the annoying effect of knocking me out. So, unless I completely cant function, I usually refrain. A few years ago it got so bad that I actually went to a doctor (which for me is saying something) who prescribed Allegra. I assume it works because it would knock me out for 10 hours at a time, during which I cannot recall exhibiting any allergy symptoms, or outwardly recognizable signs of life.

"Mighty is the Thread! Great are its works and insane are its inhabitants!" -Brother Mynok

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 21759
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 4/9/2010 10:20:49 PM   
Onime No Kyo

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: AW1Steve

quote:

ORIGINAL: gladiatt

quote:

We only are serious about not being serious! What , did we scare you in our discussion of which state government is most corrupt?

i am awfuly ashame, but i really thought there was a serious part (if not the whole) in this talk.
Should never doe this mistake again.
Can i send a few idea about corrupted governement ????? ; (note to myself don't get involved in political debate).
And what about this OLD idea of forming a governement with guys from the Thread. I always asked the minister of free time

Sounds good. Sprior will be minister of silly walks.Dixie can be minister of drawing. T will be minister of no! Yuri can be minister of BLASTING! And I'll be the minister of grumpy old geezers!

No.

Damn! He's good at it.

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 21760
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 4/9/2010 10:22:11 PM   
Onime No Kyo

quote:

Well, April 9th is here again. Fewer and fewer Danes know what happened every year...

I'm very proud of the former USSR in this regard. They are very active in keeping the dates alive.

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 21761
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 4/9/2010 10:22:50 PM   
Onime No Kyo

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Onime No Kyo

quote:

good evening guys

don't want to disturb an serious talk

haem

hope you all go well

You just dont want Big Brother to catch you participating in this prattle.

Well, Yuri, at this time of the day, i was home, so no more Big Brother

WU is possibly worse.

(in reply to gladiatt)
Post #: 21762
RE: the ponderOUS LOG! - 4/9/2010 10:37:06 PM   
Onime No Kyo

quote:

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nikademus

I've often wondered how much longer WWII will remain in the public and wargamer conciousness to such a degree as we get more and more into the future. Thank heaven of course we don't have (so far) a "WWIII" to take it's place so that alone will keep it relevent, but as technology and politics change, its inevitable that there will be a growing disconnect.

WWI for example almost seems like it happened on another planet given the type of warfare, the mindset and the attitudes of that period in comparison to today's "MTV generation"

The "MTV generation" has no idea WWI happened.

i once made a statement on the general forum about such knowledge by the "new" generation, and the thread was closed by a Mod.
Anyway i will try to say it once more.
Here (i can't tell for others part of the world), the "young" know nearly nothing. Date of Charlemagne, of middle age, who was Platon or Socrate, when was Hundred Year War or the Great Plague. They have a very confuse notion about Louis XIV because it is our most renown king, but don't know his date of reign. French revolution, rise of industry, age of colony, or Napoleon are at best a big mist, at worst unknown. WWI is not known. WWII, well of course, with all the war-movie that we had. But the date ??? an inquiry was made a few years ago on the young students. D Day, was it in 1968 ? Or when the americans landed on the moon ?
Now, to ask youngster to remind of Voltaire, Montesquieu, Zola, or Joan of Arc, Louis-the-Saint, Clovis, Ambroise Paré..... ;
In 20 years, guys like you or me will be kept in museum or zoo. When talking with younger collegues (from only 10 years) they can't understand what i am speaking of when talking Beatles, Stones, Led Zepp', Genesis, Sergio Leone and Clint Eastwood, Kubrick, Coppola....

I agree with you in sentiment Eric, but not necessarily in detail.

I think that holding the "generation" accountable is not correct. In my experience, most teenage and young adult members of any generation are numskulls, who generally could not give a rat's @ss about anything outside of money, the opposite sex and hedonistic entertainment. Regrettably, they usually grow up to be adults with exact same values. I got the same reaction for "knowing stuff" when I was in that age group as I'm sure many of you who are older. Older generations tend not to expect much from kids, and are pleasantly surprised when theyre proven wrong. I have no doubt that there are many teens today who both know and understand historical events, but who are few and far between and otherwise lost in a gray mass of numskulls.

I also think that it is incorrect to judge the younger generation by your values. While I understand the significance of the Stones in a historical context, I have never thought much of their music. I think the "nurture" part of my childhood simply taught me to gravitate toward a different type of sound (bassy, techno-ish, etc). Of course, if you had said Bach, Beethoven, etc, I would agree with you completely, and the same thoughts would apply as do to the history example in regards to younger generations. Some parts of our lives are "classic" to us. But some parts of humanity's past should be "classic" universally.

I better stop before I cross that dreaded line.

(in reply to gladiatt)
Post #: 21763
THE THREAD!!! - 4/9/2010 10:38:56 PM   
Onime No Kyo

quote:

Yup. Your average student can tell you all about the lineage of Rock and Roll, Hip-hop and the complete history of Snoop Dog.....but ask them where Denmark is? or when WWII started and you'll get a blank stare.

Fortunately we have Hollywood to catch them up. For example it was recently revealed that the USN was responsible for cracking Enigma thx to the capture of U-571 as portrayed by Jon Bon-Jovi.

Are you saying that Hollywood panders to popular notions, regardless of how utterly idiotic they might be?!?!

(in reply to Nikademus)
Post #: 21764
THE THREAD!!! - 4/9/2010 10:39:31 PM   
Onime No Kyo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Wirraway_Ace

quote:

...U-571 as portrayed by Jon Bon-Jovi.

Glad I did not see that one!

It was better than Starship Troopers 3, at least.

(in reply to Wirraway_Ace)
Post #: 21765
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 4/9/2010 10:42:43 PM   
Onime No Kyo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Wirraway_Ace

quote:

ORIGINAL: anarchyintheuk

quote:

quote:

I've often wondered how much longer WWII will remain in the public and wargamer conciousness to such a degree as we get more and more into the future. Thank heaven of course we don't have (so far) a "WWIII" to take it's place so that alone will keep it relevent, but as technology and politics change, its inevitable that there will be a growing disconnect.

WWI for example almost seems like it happened on another planet given the type of warfare, the mindset and the attitudes of that period in comparison to today's "MTV generation"

The "MTV generation" has no idea WWI happened.

Watching Jersey Shore convinced me that the apocalypse was approaching. But I tend to overreact to these things. I'm sure some middle-aged guy was thinking the same thing seeing me in my teens and '20s. As a general rule I think that you're mentally retarded until you hit about 25 anyway.

I have hope. This generation will not be without its scholars.

Time has allowed more balanced views of events and individual conduct of soldiers on both sides. This has led to a lot of revisionist history, but also a lot of good history. The declassification of many documents has allowed for a clearer understanding of what leaders knew and where thinking.

I agree completely! The farther we move from those events, the more balanced our view of them is becoming (slowly).

I look forward to the day when all the Cold Warriors are gone from the sphere of influence and the things we'll learn when no one considers them Top Secret anymore.

Post #: 21766
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 4/9/2010 11:08:36 PM   
Terminus

One thing I did enjoy some time back was cutting weaselboy "Castor Troy" off at his ugly knees when he made one of those snide "Denmark didn't resist" cracks. With him being from Austria, he doesn't really have much of a leg to stand on.

The fighting went on for about four hours on the morning of the 9th; the decision to surrender was taken after two hours, but word didn't reach all units. Both sides suffered about 50 casualties each.

The policy of cooperation with the occupiers was *probably* the correct one, even if it does leave a bad aftertaste. Danes abroad threw in their lot pretty much wholesale with the Allies from Day 1, though.

Of about 6000 Danish merchant sailors outside Denmark at the time of the occupation, only around 100 chose to accept the offer of returning to Denmark to sit out the war. All the others joined the convoys.

Obviously, the rescue of the Danish Jews is something everybody in this country can be proud of, even if less than enough people know the story.

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

Post #: 21767
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 4/9/2010 11:26:45 PM   
Wirraway_Ace

quote:

One thing I did enjoy some time back was cutting weaselboy "Castor Troy" off at his ugly knees when he made one of those snide "Denmark didn't resist" cracks. With him being from Austria, he doesn't really have much of a leg to stand on.

The fighting went on for about four hours on the morning of the 9th; the decision to surrender was taken after two hours, but word didn't reach all units. Both sides suffered about 50 casualties each.

The policy of cooperation with the occupiers was *probably* the correct one, even if it does leave a bad aftertaste. Danes abroad threw in their lot pretty much wholesale with the Allies from Day 1, though.

Of about 6000 Danish merchant sailors outside Denmark at the time of the occupation, only around 100 chose to accept the offer of returning to Denmark to sit out the war. All the others joined the convoys.

Obviously, the rescue of the Danish Jews is something everybody in this country can be proud of, even if less than enough people know the story.

I think it took a long time for the average person to realize what they were cooperating with throughout occupied Europe.

My disdain is now focused on those I most revered as a young man: Manstein, Guderian, Galand, etc. They fought brilliantly for an idiology so vile as to be almost unbelievable. They subjugated morality to duty, as many soldiers do, but they were smart enough and senior enough to have known better. Much better.

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 21768
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 4/10/2010 2:17:55 AM   
Nikademus

I think its a tad bit more complicated than that.

Post #: 21769
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 4/10/2010 2:47:14 AM   
Chickenboy

Howdy all. Long day at work. What'd I miss?

(in reply to Nikademus)
Post #: 21770
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 4/10/2010 2:50:10 AM   
Chickenboy

quote:

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: sprior

quote:

quote:

Sounds good. Sprior will be minister of silly walks.Dixie can be minister of drawing. T will be minister of no! Yuri can be minister of BLASTING! And I'll be the minister of grumpy old geezers!

(crosses fingers, prays aloud)"Come on, bikini inspector!"

Hey, Steve, Gladiatt, et. al., got room for the official bikini inspector in this government of yours?

Yes, but Steve models them.

Coffee Minister is sounding pretty good right about now.

crap....i wanted to be minister of silly walks. Guess i'll have to settle Minister of Annoying Posts.

I thought Yuri had that one stitched up a treat?

(in reply to Nikademus)
Post #: 21771
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 4/10/2010 2:52:55 AM   
Chickenboy

quote:

quote:

quote:

Hey, Steve, Gladiatt, et. al., got room for the official bikini inspector in this government of yours?

Of course. I can also find some free time to go along with you on inspection

I'll have to get approval through the bureau of approval, but-provided you sign the right forms in triplicate-we can probably work something out.

(in reply to gladiatt)
Post #: 21772
RE: the ponderOUS LOG! - 4/10/2010 2:55:49 AM   
Chickenboy

quote:

Yup. Your average student can tell you all about the lineage of Rock and Roll, Hip-hop and the complete history of Snoop Dog.....but ask them where Denmark is? or when WWII started and you'll get a blank stare.

"Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? No!"

(in reply to Nikademus)
Post #: 21773
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 4/10/2010 2:58:35 AM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: anarchyintheuk

quote:

ORIGINAL: Grollub

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

We only are serious about not being serious! What , did we scare you in our discussion of which state government is most corrupt?

i am awfuly ashame, but i really thought there was a serious part (if not the whole) in this talk.
Should never doe this mistake again.
Can i send a few idea about corrupted governement ????? ; (note to myself don't get involved in political debate).
And what about this OLD idea of forming a governement with guys from the Thread. I always asked the minister of free time

No.

Most obvious post ever?

If we can choose . . . I'll take minister of tex-mex and small garden implements . . . I nominate Grollub for minister of snow and hot athletic blond women.

Grollub, this sounds like we may need an educational exchange program. Clearly, as minister of hot athletic blonde women, there will be some overlap (ahem) with bikinis. We should make sure that our respective positions (ahem) are mutually supportive without being redundant.

(in reply to anarchyintheuk)
Post #: 21774
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 4/10/2010 3:00:04 AM   
Chickenboy

quote:

quote:

What sort of drugs are you using to control your seasonal (?) atopy / inhalant (?) allergies?

Benadryl is the only OTC thing that actually works. It also has the annoying effect of knocking me out. So, unless I completely cant function, I usually refrain. A few years ago it got so bad that I actually went to a doctor (which for me is saying something) who prescribed Allegra. I assume it works because it would knock me out for 10 hours at a time, during which I cannot recall exhibiting any allergy symptoms, or outwardly recognizable signs of life.

Have you tried some of the Claritin generic? It's inexpensive now and seems to work for a lot of people without knocking yourself out.

Post #: 21775
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 4/10/2010 3:08:54 AM   
Onime No Kyo

quote:

I think its a tad bit more complicated than that.

Well put.

(in reply to Nikademus)
Post #: 21776
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 4/10/2010 3:09:24 AM   
Onime No Kyo

quote:

Howdy all. Long day at work. What'd I miss?

Friday.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 21777
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 4/10/2010 3:10:28 AM   
Onime No Kyo

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: sprior

quote:

quote:

Yes, but Steve models them.

Coffee Minister is sounding pretty good right about now.

crap....i wanted to be minister of silly walks. Guess i'll have to settle Minister of Annoying Posts.

I thought Yuri had that one stitched up a treat?

Now that you mention it, it does fall rather nicely into the Blast category. Stay off my turf Logboy.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 21778
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 4/10/2010 3:11:16 AM   
Onime No Kyo

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Of course. I can also find some free time to go along with you on inspection

I'll have to get approval through the bureau of approval, but-provided you sign the right forms in triplicate-we can probably work something out.

Hey! No inter ministry fraternization.

But if there is, I want in on too.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 21779
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 4/10/2010 3:11:46 AM   
Onime No Kyo

quote:

quote:

quote:

Have you tried some of the Claritin generic? It's inexpensive now and seems to work for a lot of people without knocking yourself out.

Yep. Doesnt do a blessed thing.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 21780
Page:   <<   < prev  724 725 [726] 727 728   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> RE: THE THREAD!!! Page: <<   < prev  724 725 [726] 727 728   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI