Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: THE THREAD!!!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> RE: THE THREAD!!! Page: <<   < prev  982 983 [984] 985 986   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/25/2010 8:40:11 PM   
Onime No Kyo

I'm sure well be celebrating your 29th anniversary soon enough.....with a nice bottle of chateau de chasselas

"Mighty is the Thread! Great are its works and insane are its inhabitants!" -Brother Mynok

(in reply to Dixie)
Post #: 29491
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/25/2010 8:40:56 PM   
Onime No Kyo

Oh and a new page. What a treat!

"Mighty is the Thread! Great are its works and insane are its inhabitants!" -Brother Mynok

(in reply to Onime No Kyo)
Post #: 29492
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/25/2010 9:14:03 PM   
Terminus

ZOING!(TM)

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

Post #: 29493
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/25/2010 9:35:58 PM   
sprior

quote:

So, the British defence minister Liam Fox has called for a ban on the upcoming Medal of Honor game because you can play as the Taliban in multiplayer

Why didn't they try to ban Red Lightning where you could play the Third Shock Army? To whom do I write a letter of complaint?

"Grown ups are what's left when skool is finished."
"History started badly and hav been geting steadily worse."
- Nigel Molesworth.

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 29494
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/25/2010 9:52:19 PM   
Onime No Kyo

quote:

ORIGINAL: sprior

quote:

So, the British defence minister Liam Fox has called for a ban on the upcoming Medal of Honor game because you can play as the Taliban in multiplayer

Why didn't they try to ban Red Lightning where you could play the Third Shock Army? To whom do I write a letter of complaint?

It's no use. They're all pinko commies. Otoh you've peaked my interest. What is this Red Lightning?

(in reply to sprior)
Post #: 29495
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/25/2010 9:59:32 PM   
sprior

Red Lightning (S.S.I. 1989) was an operational level game covering a hypothetical Soviet invasion of western Europe sometime in the early '90's. There were a number of interesting features in this game:

News reports of events, including updates on the political climate as the campaign progressed.
Special operations and an off-map North Atlantic campaign. You could redeploy some of your light forces to the Iceland and Norway campaigns. Send too little and the naval war might not go your way. Send too much and say good bye to Denmark.
Weather forecasts. Accurate for a day or two, not so accurate beyond that. Bad weather interfered with air operations and orbital recce capability. Temperature and Humidity modified chemical weapons effects.
640x200 16 color EGA graphics. This was rather advanced for the time.
ST and Amiga versions had mouse support. The DOS version missed out on mouse support due to the requirement that it run on a 384K Tandy. Things have changed...

Attachment (1)

- Nigel Molesworth.

Post #: 29496
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/25/2010 10:01:53 PM   
sprior

A better screenie

Attachment (1)

- Nigel Molesworth.

(in reply to sprior)
Post #: 29497
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/25/2010 10:06:38 PM   
Mynok

We sure are spoiled nowadays.

Heard a funny joke on Slashdot: What's the difference between a sysadmin and a monkey? Monkey's get free bananas and can fondle themselves in public.

"Measure civilization by the ability of citizens to mock government with impunity" -- Unknown

(in reply to sprior)
Post #: 29498
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/25/2010 10:13:08 PM   
Dixie

quote:

ORIGINAL: Onime No Kyo

quote:

quote:

It's no use. They're all pinko commies. Otoh you've peaked my interest. What is this Red Lightning?

I've always like those hypothetical NATO vs Warsaw Pact games. They're a nice change from WW2, we could do with a few more of that sort of game.

I've never heard of Red Lightning, it sounds like it was far more ambitious (and well designed) than the majority of games about these days.

Looking forward to The Red Pill when it finally turns up http://www.warfaresims.com/?page_id=1101

Bigger boys stole my sig

Post #: 29499
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/25/2010 10:16:33 PM   
Nikademus

quote:

Red Lightning (S.S.I. 1989) was an operational level game covering a hypothetical Soviet invasion of western Europe sometime in the early '90's. There were a number of interesting features in this game:

News reports of events, including updates on the political climate as the campaign progressed.
Special operations and an off-map North Atlantic campaign. You could redeploy some of your light forces to the Iceland and Norway campaigns. Send too little and the naval war might not go your way. Send too much and say good bye to Denmark.
Weather forecasts. Accurate for a day or two, not so accurate beyond that. Bad weather interfered with air operations and orbital recce capability. Temperature and Humidity modified chemical weapons effects.
ST and Amiga versions had mouse support. The DOS version missed out on mouse support due to the requirement that it run on a 384K Tandy. Things have changed..

I used to sneer at early PC versions of SSI games in comparison to the Atari in terms of looks. I was confident that this "IBM" thingy would NEVER catch on.

Good thing i'm not into the Stock Market.....

(in reply to sprior)
Post #: 29500
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/25/2010 10:27:29 PM   
Mynok

Did you bet on wooden ships too?

"Measure civilization by the ability of citizens to mock government with impunity" -- Unknown

(in reply to Nikademus)
Post #: 29501
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/25/2010 10:33:34 PM   
USSAmerica

quote:

A better screenie

Looks like a bigger picture version of one of my favorite SSI games of the era, "Reforger '88."

Mike

"Good times will set you free" - Jimmy Buffett

"They need more rum punch" - Me

Artwork by The Amazing Dixie

(in reply to sprior)
Post #: 29502
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/25/2010 10:34:29 PM   
USSAmerica

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nikademus

quote:

ST and Amiga versions had mouse support. The DOS version missed out on mouse support due to the requirement that it run on a 384K Tandy. Things have changed..

I used to sneer at early PC versions of SSI games in comparison to the Atari in terms of looks. I was confident that this "IBM" thingy would NEVER catch on.

Good thing i'm not into the Stock Market.....

Ha! I played Reforger '88 on the Atari 800 XL.

Mike

(in reply to Nikademus)
Post #: 29503
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/25/2010 10:51:39 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ST and Amiga versions had mouse support. The DOS version missed out on mouse support due to the requirement that it run on a 384K Tandy. Things have changed...

Tactical nukes?

(in reply to sprior)
Post #: 29504
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/25/2010 11:34:53 PM   
Terminus

None. Superb game, despite its clunky GUI...

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 29505
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/25/2010 11:35:03 PM   
Grollub

G'night friends

“Not mastering metaphores is like cooking pasta when the train is delayed"

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 29506
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/26/2010 12:05:28 AM   
Terminus

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dixie

quote:

quote:

quote:

I've always like those hypothetical NATO vs Warsaw Pact games. They're a nice change from WW2, we could do with a few more of that sort of game.

I've never heard of Red Lightning, it sounds like it was far more ambitious (and well designed) than the majority of games about these days.

Looking forward to The Red Pill when it finally turns up http://www.warfaresims.com/?page_id=1101

Smells a bit... ambitious...

(in reply to Dixie)
Post #: 29507
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/26/2010 12:07:20 AM   
Terminus

Either way, I'm playing Starcraft II at the moment: much better than I'd feared, and even after years of World of Warcrap, Blizzard can still tell a good story. It raises my hopes for Diablo III.

Oh, and I'm also playing Plants vs. Zombies. Amazing little game.

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 29508
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/26/2010 12:07:47 AM   
Terminus

-72 and goodnight...

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 29509
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/26/2010 12:52:06 AM   
Walloc

Ahh the joys of going into every unit each turn and set the elements to the different modes. I played that game to its death. Fun days. Wasnt it one of Norms first games, at leased first i became aware of.
I still have the 5 1/4 disk and manual some where i think.

I got a still plastic rapped copy of Gato. It was the first PC game i ever played and got hooked on sims/wargams right away. I was visiting the father of a friend in mid 80ies IIRC. So i only played it that one time. Still remember trying to dock the sub to the AS. Dont think i ever got it right. Found an old copy when i worked in a software shop in the 90ies and requesitioned it.

Night all, may ur turns arrive soon and the winds blow too ur advantage

Rasmus

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 29510
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/26/2010 1:06:12 AM   
Onime No Kyo

quote:

A better screenie

Ah. I see I'm about 30 years too late for a good game.

(in reply to sprior)
Post #: 29511
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/26/2010 1:06:45 AM   
Onime No Kyo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mynok

We sure are spoiled nowadays.

Heard a funny joke on Slashdot: What's the difference between a sysadmin and a monkey? Monkey's get free bananas and can fondle themselves in public.

So do many sysadmins.

(in reply to Mynok)
Post #: 29512
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/26/2010 1:09:56 AM   
Onime No Kyo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dixie

quote:

quote:

quote:

Looks pretty. But in my experience, game designers lose me with all the whiz-bang weaponry in lieu of good old fashioned strategy. Hope this one may prove the exception.

(in reply to Dixie)
Post #: 29513
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/26/2010 1:13:06 AM   
Onime No Kyo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Terminus

Either way, I'm playing Starcraft II at the moment: much better than I'd feared, and even after years of World of Warcrap, Blizzard can still tell a good story. It raises my hopes for Diablo III.

Havent looked into it, despite it being darn near the only thing available for Apple. The screenshots struck me amazingly like more of the same from umpteen years ago. What do you say?

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 29514
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/26/2010 4:01:42 AM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Terminus

Oh, and I'm also playing Plants vs. Zombies. Amazing little game.

Plants vs. Zombies is very well done.

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 29515
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/26/2010 4:02:56 AM   
USSAmerica

Get a PC.  

Mike

Post #: 29516
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/26/2010 4:03:28 AM   
USSAmerica

Sorry, just caught up on a month's worth of Sprior and Mandrake's AAR and my perspective is decidedly off kilter.  

Mike

(in reply to USSAmerica)
Post #: 29517
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/26/2010 4:03:56 AM   
USSAmerica

Ahh, good times, Brothers.  

Good night - Tithe.

Mike

(in reply to USSAmerica)
Post #: 29518
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/26/2010 4:26:09 AM   
Chickenboy

Later, dude. Peace. Out.

(in reply to USSAmerica)
Post #: 29519
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/26/2010 5:51:30 AM   
scott64

Shannon (the secretary) has lost her cat and has asked David (the graphic designer) to help with a lost poster. This is their email correspondence...

Hi
I opened the screen door yesterday and my cat got out and has been missing since then so I was wondering if you are not too busy you could make a poster for me. It has to be A4 and I will photocopy it and put it around my suburb this afternoon.

This is the only photo of her I have she answers to the name Missy and is black and white and about 8 months old. missing on Harper street and my phone number.
Thanks Shan.

Date: Monday 21 June 2010 9.26am
To: Shannon
Subject: Re: Poster
Dear Shannon,
That is shocking news. Luckily I was sitting down when I read your email and not half way up a ladder or tree. How are you holding up? I am surprised you managed to attend work at all what with thinking about Missy out there cold, frightened and alone... possibly lying on the side of the road, her back legs squashed by a vehicle, calling out "Shannon, where are you?"
Although I have two clients expecting completed work this afternoon, I will, of course, drop everything and do whatever it takes to facilitate the speedy return of Missy.
Regards, David.

Date: Monday 21 June 2010 9.37am
To: David
Subject: Re: Re: Poster

yeah ok thanks. I know you don’t like cats but I am really worried about mine. I have to leave at 1pm today.

Date: Monday 21 June 2010 10.17am
Subject: Re: Re: Re: Poster

Dear Shannon,
I never said I don't like cats. Once, having been invited to a party, I went clothes shopping beforehand and bought a pair of expensive G-Star boots. They were two sizes too small but I wanted them so badly I figured I could just wear them without socks and cut my toenails very short. As the party was only a few blocks from my place, I decided to walk. After the first block, I lost all feeling in my feet. Arriving at the party, I stumbled into a guy named Steven, spilling Malibu & coke onto his white Wham 'Choose Life' t-shirt, and he punched me. An hour or so after the incident, Steven sat down in a chair already occupied by a cat. The surprised cat clawed and snarled causing Steven to leap out of the chair, slip on a rug and strike his forehead onto the corner of a speaker; resulting in a two inch open gash. In its shock, the cat also defecated, leaving Steven with a foul stain down the back of his beige cargo pants. I liked that cat.
Attached poster as requested.
Regards, David.

Date: Monday 21 June 2010 10.24am
Subject: Re: Re: Re: Re: Poster

yeah that’s not what I was looking for at all. it looks like a movie and how come the photo of Missy is so small?

Date: Monday 21 June 2010 10.28am
Subject: Re: Re: Re: Re: Poster

Dear Shannon,
It's a design thing. The cat is lost in the negative space.
Regards, David.

Date: Monday 21 June 2010 10.33am
Subject: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Poster

Thats just stupid. Can you do it properly please? I am extremely emotional over this and was up all night in tears. you seem to think it is funny. Can you make the photo bigger please and fix the text and do it in color please. Thanks.

Date: Monday 21 June 2010 10.46am
Subject: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Poster

Dear Shannon,
Having worked with designers for a few years now, I would have assumed you understood, despite our vague suggestions otherwise, we do not welcome constructive criticism. I don't come downstairs and tell you how to send text messages, log onto Facebook and look out of the window. I am willing to overlook this faux pas due to you no doubt being preoccupied with thoughts of Missy attempting to make her way home across busy intersections or being trapped in a drain as it slowly fills with water. I spent three days down a well once but that was just for fun.
I have amended and attached the poster as per your instructions.
Regards, David.

Date: Monday 21 June 2010 10.59am
Subject: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Poster

This is worse than the other one. can you make it so it shows the whole photo of Missy and delete the stupid text that says missing missy off it? I just want it to say Lost.

Date: Monday 21 June 2010 11.14am
Subject: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Poster

Date: Monday 21 June 2010 11.21am
Subject: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Poster

yeah can you do the poster or not? I just want a photo and the word lost and the telephone number and when and where she was lost and her name. Not like a movie poster or anything stupid. I have to leave early today. If it was your cat I would help you. Thanks.

Date: Monday 21 June 2010 11.32am
Subject: Awww

Dear Shannon,
I don't have a cat. I once agreed to look after a friend's cat for a week but after he dropped it off at my apartment and explained the concept of kitty litter, I kept the cat in a closed cardboard box in the shed and forgot about it. If I wanted to feed something and clean feces, I wouldn't have put my mother in that home after her stroke. A week later, when my friend came to collect his cat, I pretended that I was not home and mailed the box to him. Apparently I failed to put enough stamps on the package and he had to collect it from the post office and pay eighteen dollars. He still goes on about that sometimes, people need to learn to let go.
I have attached the amended version of your poster as per your detailed instructions.
Regards, David.

Date: Monday 21 June 2010 11.47am
To: David Thorne
Subject: Re: Awww

Thats not my cat. where did you get that picture from? That cat is orange. I gave you a photo of my cat.

Date: Monday 21 June 2010 11.58am
Subject: Re: Re: Awww

I know, but that one is cute. As Missy has quite possibly met any one of several violent ends, it is possible you might get a better cat out of this. If anybody calls and says "I haven't seen your orange cat but I did find a black and white one with its hind legs run over by a car, do you want it?" you can politely decline and save yourself a costly veterinarian bill.
I knew someone who had a basset hound that had its hind legs removed after an accident and it had to walk around with one of those little buggies with wheels. If it had been my dog I would have asked for all its legs to be removed and replaced with wheels and had a remote control installed. I could charge neighborhood kids for rides and enter it in races. If I did the same with a horse I could drive it to work. I would call it Steven.
Regards, David.

Date: Monday 21 June 2010 12.07pm
Subject: Re: Re: Re: Awww

Please just use the photo I gave you.

Date: Monday 21 June 2010 12.22pm
Subject: Re: Re: Re: Re: Awww

Date: Monday 21 June 2010 12.34pm
Subject: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Awww

I didn’t say there was a reward. I don’t have $2000 dollars. What did you even put that there for? Apart from that it is perfect can you please remove the reward bit. Thanks Shan.

Date: Monday 21 June 2010 12.42pm
Subject: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Awww

Date: Monday 21 June 2010 12.51pm
Subject: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Awww

Can you just please take the reward bit off altogether? I have to leave in ten minutes and I still have to make photocopies of it.

Date: Monday 21 June 2010 12.56pm
Subject: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Awww

Date: Monday 21 June 2010 1.03pm
Subject: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Awww

Fine. That will have to do.

Lucky for you, tonight it's just me

Any ship can be a minesweeper..once !! :)

http://suspenseandmystery.blogspot.com/

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 29520
Page:   <<   < prev  982 983 [984] 985 986   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> RE: THE THREAD!!! Page: <<   < prev  982 983 [984] 985 986   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI