Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: THE THREAD!!!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> RE: THE THREAD!!! Page: <<   < prev  996 997 [998] 999 1000   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/31/2010 7:53:11 PM   
AW1Steve

quote:

ORIGINAL: JWE

quote:

ORIGINAL: AW1Steve
No.No.No. Californians get "foot in mouth disease", closely related to "head up @$$ disease". NYer's get "hoof and mouth", just like other cattle!

Now just halt that harvester right there, Steevo. Just because we Californians are more tanned, healthier, live in a perfect climate, have more pneumatic chiquitas, and an economy that's bigger than most European countries, is no reason to get all pissy. I mean, I suppose it's natural for pasty, fish-belly white, John Deere hat wearing, farmer tanned, midwesterners to be a bit envious.

After all, we have surf, and you guys have those collection ponds off the Interstate. Our high points are the Sierras for skiing, and you guys have Bucko Bill's Feed Store and Twin Grain Elevator. We gots Napa and vino, and you guys have corn and soybeans. We gots Temecula and fruit orchards, and you guys have corn and soybeans. We gots crabs and tuna and dorado, and you guys have corn and soybeans. Ok, so perhaps we are a skoosh demented, and haven't seen a chopped harvester at the drag strip for a while, but don't you think you should accept and cherish your wayward brothers?

In the local vernacular......DUDE! I was born a Downeaster, and consider myself a transplanted Northern Floridian (That's CRACKER to you son!). And although I very much like and admire these mid and westerners I'm currently living among, I'm no more one than a "Latte LuLu" because I lived in Seattle for two years. Or a Virginian because I lived there 10+ years. Or a Guamanian because I lived on that island for two years.Nor am I English,Icelandic Or any where else I've lived, including your exceptionally weird part of the woods of which my residence was measured in months (thank GOD!) and not years.

And you forgot SoCal's greatest and best known crops! FRUITS AND NUTS! SO THERE!

(in reply to JWE)
Post #: 29911
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/31/2010 8:03:19 PM   
ChickenOfTheSea

quote:

quote:

No.No.No. Californians get "foot in mouth disease", closely related to "head up @$$ disease". NYer's get "hoof and mouth", just like other cattle!

Now just halt that harvester right there, Steevo. Just because we Californians are more tanned, healthier, live in a perfect climate, have more pneumatic chiquitas, and an economy that's bigger than most European countries, is no reason to get all pissy. I mean, I suppose it's natural for pasty, fish-belly white, John Deere hat wearing, farmer tanned, midwesterners to be a bit envious.

After all, we have surf, and you guys have those collection ponds off the Interstate. Our high points are the Sierras for skiing, and you guys have Bucko Bill's Feed Store and Twin Grain Elevator. We gots Napa and vino, and you guys have corn and soybeans. We gots Temecula and fruit orchards, and you guys have corn and soybeans. We gots crabs and tuna and dorado, and you guys have corn and soybeans. Ok, so perhaps we are a skoosh demented, and haven't seen a chopped harvester at the drag strip for a while, but don't you think you should accept and cherish your wayward brothers?

JWE,
I grew up in Steve's current home state and a couple of years ago we had a mountain range (by Nebraska standards) made entirely of composted cow dung that caught fire and burned for months. Can California match that for interesting scenary?

< Message edited by ChickenOfTheSea -- 8/31/2010 8:07:11 PM >

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice, there is. - Manfred Eigen

(in reply to JWE)
Post #: 29912
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/31/2010 8:34:29 PM   
AW1Steve

quote:

ORIGINAL: ChickenOfTheSea

quote:

quote:

JWE,
I grew up in Steve's current home state and a couple of years ago we had a mountain range (by Nebraska standards) made entirely of composted cow dung that caught fire and burned for months. Can California match that for interesting scenary?

Now you've done it John! You've angered a GENUINE cornhusker! Watch out that the great corn spirit doesn't turn your cheese into popcorn and your wine into beer!

(in reply to ChickenOfTheSea)
Post #: 29913
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/31/2010 9:10:50 PM   
USSAmerica

Parole - Tithe. 

Mike

"Good times will set you free" - Jimmy Buffett

"They need more rum punch" - Me

Artwork by The Amazing Dixie

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 29914
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/31/2010 9:26:47 PM   
JWE

quote:

quote:

JWE,

Now you've done it John! You've angered a GENUINE cornhusker! Watch out that the great corn spirit doesn't turn your cheese into popcorn and your wine into beer!

Composted cow dung ? Woof !! There was this hill in Michigan built out of garbage that even has a lift, iirc. Cow dung.. dang! Gives a whole new meaning to mashing the face of a mogul.

Yeah, them genuine cornhuskers been breakin our little Cali bones for a bit now, but we've been either too stoned or too busy to care much. Now, popcorn ain't bad, it's a real good munchie. But don't be messing with Napa, or I'll have to get medieval upon some boo-tocks.

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 29915
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/31/2010 9:40:02 PM   
radar

...get medieval on some boo-tucks...too funny!

USS Terry (DD-513) — Battle of the Atlantic, Solomon and Marianas Islands campaigns and the Battle of Iwo Jima

(in reply to JWE)
Post #: 29916
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/31/2010 9:48:35 PM   
Walloc

998 bottles of bear on the wall.....

(in reply to radar)
Post #: 29917
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/31/2010 9:54:21 PM   
anarchyintheuk

I would also add everyone whose state successfully deregulated energy put their hands in the air.

(in reply to Walloc)
Post #: 29918
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/31/2010 10:30:19 PM   
sprior

quote:

Since your children are older, how are you handling the whole "cell phone" issue with them? Do they pay for it and the monthly contract entirely out of their pockets?

The deal we have is for 100 minutes talk time and unlimited texts which is what she wants. I pay for it, it's our birthday present to her.

Meanwhile granny bought her an ipod touch. Fortunately it's the wi-fi version so she can connect the interweb at home or at college.

"Grown ups are what's left when skool is finished."
"History started badly and hav been geting steadily worse."
- Nigel Molesworth.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 29919
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/31/2010 10:32:45 PM   
sprior

quote:

We gots crabs

You should get an ointment for that.

- Nigel Molesworth.

(in reply to JWE)
Post #: 29920
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/31/2010 10:34:52 PM   
sprior

quote:

Since your children are older, how are you handling the whole "cell phone" issue with them? Do they pay for it and the monthly contract entirely out of their pockets?

The boy has an old mobile with a pay as you go SIM. He only has it so we can haul him back in when he's late.

- Nigel Molesworth.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 29921
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/31/2010 10:46:24 PM   
JWE

quote:

In the local vernacular......DUDE! I was born a Downeaster, and consider myself a transplanted Northern Floridian (That's CRACKER to you son!). And although I very much like and admire these mid and westerners I'm currently living among, I'm no more one than a "Latte LuLu" because I lived in Seattle for two years. Or a Virginian because I lived there 10+ years. Or a Guamanian because I lived on that island for two years.Nor am I English,Icelandic Or any where else I've lived, including your exceptionally weird part of the woods of which my residence was measured in months (thank GOD!) and not years.

And you forgot SoCal's greatest and best known crops! FRUITS AND NUTS! SO THERE!

I know what a cracker be, boy. I'm a war child from Europe, but once I got here, I lived in Brooksville FL, went the first 4 grades at St Benedicts, part of St Leos, in St Antonio, then Grady Elementary in Tampa, then Wilson Jr High, then off to Bolles School in Jax, then got expelled in my sr year and finished at Plant High.
Then off to New England for college, the Army, more college, more Army - stuff. Bates in Lewiston, ME, then MIT. Some time at Draper Labs, some time in MD, some time with Aeling in VA. The girls always thought my accent was more fun than them as was pahkin the cah.
Fruits and nuts be cool, Bro; fresh peaches everyday; raw almonds, pecans and Brazil nuts at Trader Joes.

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 29922
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/31/2010 10:55:08 PM   
AW1Steve

quote:

quote:

I know what a cracker be, boy. I'm a war child from Europe, but once I got here, I lived in Brooksville FL, went the first 4 grades at St Benedicts, part of St Leos, in St Antonio, then Grady Elementary in Tampa, then Wilson Jr High, then off to Bolles School in Jax, then got expelled in my sr year and finished at Plant High.
Then off to New England for college, the Army, more college, more Army - stuff. Bates in Lewiston, ME, then MIT. Some time at Draper Labs, some time in MD, some time with Aeling in VA. The girls always thought my accent was more fun than them as was pahkin the cah.
Fruits and nuts be cool, Bro; fresh peaches everyday; raw almonds, pecans and Brazil nuts at Trader Joes.

LEWISTON!?! I'm so sorry! That's one of those Maine towns where you want to speak a foreign language you speak English. Most of the residents think they live in Quebec. Bidderford's the other......Now had you chosen the right side of the river,...like Auburn or my home town Saco.....well then.

I didn't mean peaches, I meant the two legged variety of fruits and nuts!

(in reply to JWE)
Post #: 29923
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/31/2010 11:30:37 PM   
Mynok

Good heavens....I think Onime and I are about the only civvies around here anymore.....

"Measure civilization by the ability of citizens to mock government with impunity" -- Unknown

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 29924
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/31/2010 11:48:35 PM   
Terminus

Feeling vexed, Brother Brush-Hat?

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

(in reply to Mynok)
Post #: 29925
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/31/2010 11:55:42 PM   
JWE

quote:

LEWISTON!?! I'm so sorry! That's one of those Maine towns where you want to speak a foreign language you speak English. Most of the residents think they live in Quebec. Bidderford's the other......Now had you chosen the right side of the river,...like Auburn or my home town Saco.....well then.

I didn't mean peaches, I meant the two legged variety of fruits and nuts!

Well .. yeah, but they taught us them foe-reen lang-wiges at skool. There was this ratso bar a couple blocks down the street from campus called the Blue Goose. Never had a problem with anyone understanding "two more pitchers over here, please".

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 29926
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 9/1/2010 12:57:35 AM   
BrucePowers

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mynok

Good heavens....I think Onime and I are about the only civvies around here anymore.....

Me too. They don't let people with CP in the military. Of course if I had been drafted I would have been 4F

(in reply to Mynok)
Post #: 29927
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 9/1/2010 1:19:09 AM   
AW1Steve

quote:

Civvies? I didn't think we had many active duty types on the Thread....Dixie,Grafin Zepplin, and ? True we have a lot of veterans , but.....?

(in reply to Mynok)
Post #: 29928
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 9/1/2010 1:36:30 AM   
Onime No Kyo

quote:

And what do you mean by that?

"Mighty is the Thread! Great are its works and insane are its inhabitants!" -Brother Mynok

(in reply to Mynok)
Post #: 29929
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 9/1/2010 1:47:27 AM   
scott64

quote:

what's a civvie?

Lucky for you, tonight it's just me

Any ship can be a minesweeper..once !! :)

http://suspenseandmystery.blogspot.com/

(in reply to Mynok)
Post #: 29930
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 9/1/2010 1:49:07 AM   
JWE

quote:

ORIGINAL: BrucePowers
Me too. They don't let people with CP in the military. Of course if I had been drafted I would have been 4F

Ah, poo, Bruce. Steve is the Pro from Dover, I sure as hell ain't. It was a 1st Sgt at Fort Homer Hesterly in Tampa that told me how to work it. I had 2 years of college and scored up on the AGCTs and they said - "Oooh, you get to go to OCS and be an Infantry officer." and I said - "Oooh, bite the mighty magilla. I can add, subtract, and even do long division, so I qualify for Arty, Eng, or Signal Corps." and they said "Oooh, but that means you'll just be a private." and I said "Oooh, okay."

So, I get Arty and smoke the inputs and go to OCS anyway - har, har, hardy, har. Well, that adds a year and 4 months to my durance vile, and then they go and send me to where people shoot at me, for Chris' sake, without asking me or anything - yeah, har, har, hardy, har, on me.

I mean, I did all that Army stuff, and signed up to jump out of perfectly functional airplanes, but all that got me was an assignment to the Airborne Field Artillery and a trip to some God forsaken, humid, 'fragrant', place where everybody talks like Miss Vera (a Belgian novitiate at St Dominics, that taught me French) and while the wine was really good, they .. do .. not .. have .. ice .. for .. the .. gin. Their martinis sucked, and the beer was warm; but I gotta say the bar and pool on the top floor of the Saigon Continental, made up for certain other deficiencies.

Oh, no, no, no, Bruce. I was just a, you know, a puke. It's guys like Steve and them such as deserves all the kudos.

(in reply to BrucePowers)
Post #: 29931
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 9/1/2010 2:43:10 AM   
ChickenOfTheSea

quote:

Well, I lasted through only two years of Army ROTC before I got fixated on the female form of my ex-wife
and drew a lucky draft lottery number.

Marriage to that female form turned out to be more combat than I could handle.
I'm still waiting for my purple heart for the tire-iron to the skull treatment.

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice, there is. - Manfred Eigen

(in reply to Mynok)
Post #: 29932
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 9/1/2010 2:48:06 AM   
ChickenOfTheSea

quote:

quote:

quote:

JWE,

Composted cow dung ? Woof !! There was this hill in Michigan built out of garbage that even has a lift, iirc. Cow dung.. dang! Gives a whole new meaning to mashing the face of a mogul.

Yeah, them genuine cornhuskers been breakin our little Cali bones for a bit now, but we've been either too stoned or too busy to care much. Now, popcorn ain't bad, it's a real good munchie. But don't be messing with Napa, or I'll have to get medieval upon some boo-tocks.

Nebraska also sports a trash heap turned into a ski slope between Lincoln and Omaha. The cow dung mountain range on fire was just for its esthetic beauty, special fragrance, and a little winter heat.
I will not say anything evil about Napa, however.

(in reply to JWE)
Post #: 29933
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 9/1/2010 2:52:46 AM   
Mynok

quote:

ORIGINAL: scott1964

quote:

what's a civvie?

Just my term for someone with no military experience. Seems the vast majority on the AE forums have some at some point.

"Measure civilization by the ability of citizens to mock government with impunity" -- Unknown

(in reply to scott64)
Post #: 29934
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 9/1/2010 2:54:51 AM   
ChickenOfTheSea

Beat this, California!!

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6879097/

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by ChickenOfTheSea -- 9/1/2010 3:18:37 AM >

(in reply to ChickenOfTheSea)
Post #: 29935
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 9/1/2010 2:58:26 AM   
Onime No Kyo

It's just you and Bruce then.

"Mighty is the Thread! Great are its works and insane are its inhabitants!" -Brother Mynok

(in reply to Mynok)
Post #: 29936
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 9/1/2010 3:02:41 AM   
Mynok

Ah, so I just didn't recall your stint....were you Navy?

(in reply to Onime No Kyo)
Post #: 29937
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 9/1/2010 3:16:50 AM   
BrucePowers

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: BrucePowers

Ah, poo, Bruce. Steve is the Pro from Dover, I sure as hell ain't. It was a 1st Sgt at Fort Homer Hesterly in Tampa that told me how to work it. I had 2 years of college and scored up on the AGCTs and they said - "Oooh, you get to go to OCS and be an Infantry officer." and I said - "Oooh, bite the mighty magilla. I can add, subtract, and even do long division, so I qualify for Arty, Eng, or Signal Corps." and they said "Oooh, but that means you'll just be a private." and I said "Oooh, okay."

So, I get Arty and smoke the inputs and go to OCS anyway - har, har, hardy, har. Well, that adds a year and 4 months to my durance vile, and then they go and send me to where people shoot at me, for Chris' sake, without asking me or anything - yeah, har, har, hardy, har, on me.

I mean, I did all that Army stuff, and signed up to jump out of perfectly functional airplanes, but all that got me was an assignment to the Airborne Field Artillery and a trip to some God forsaken, humid, 'fragrant', place where everybody talks like Miss Vera (a Belgian novitiate at St Dominics, that taught me French) and while the wine was really good, they .. do .. not .. have .. ice .. for .. the .. gin. Their martinis sucked, and the beer was warm; but I gotta say the bar and pool on the top floor of the Saigon Continental, made up for certain other deficiencies.

Oh, no, no, no, Bruce. I was just a, you know, a puke. It's guys like Steve and them such as deserves all the kudos.

Yes they do deserve them. I agree mostly heartily. So do you.

For me CP = cerebral palsy. It effects my right side (eye, arm, and leg)

I did get my draft card in the early 70's but they never pulled the numbers for my year

(in reply to JWE)
Post #: 29938
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 9/1/2010 3:19:56 AM   
Onime No Kyo

quote:

Ah, so I just didn't recall your stint....were you Navy?

Army. Armor.

(in reply to Mynok)
Post #: 29939
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 9/1/2010 3:46:20 AM   
Mynok

Good for you. I was almost a pilot but computers distracted me.

(in reply to Onime No Kyo)
Post #: 29940
Page:   <<   < prev  996 997 [998] 999 1000   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> RE: THE THREAD!!! Page: <<   < prev  996 997 [998] 999 1000   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI