Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: AE Naval and OOB Issues

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: AE Naval and OOB Issues Page: <<   < prev  38 39 40 41 [42]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: AE Naval and OOB Issues - 6/30/2016 2:24:26 AM   
cardas

I see, interesting that there were that many categories. I tried it out and . I actually think I will stick to my own simple functions for now because, as you said, if it works then it works. I appreciate knowing what was actually used for DBB though, so thank you!

(I assume that SQRT[1000(WL/Sp)] = Raw Num is a typo and it should be SQRT[1000(Sp/WL)] = Raw Num)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dili
So how to work the values in game?

To take to extreme how to handle the values of 670yd of Nelsons and the 980yd of A Class leader destroyer?

Tactical Diameter is an important value of maneuverability in escaping a torpedo attack. Another issue is also we don't how the game handles "maneuverability" . If for example includes the ship physical size.

Here is a paper to the formulae
http://www.academia.edu/225461/On_Turning_Ships

His formula:
DD x5.5 the length
Cruisers and BB's x3.5 the length
Carriers x4.5 length

He also says that tactical diameter increases or decreases only 10% to 30kt or -10% to 7kt from a base value of 15kt so says don't bother at least for the game kind is talking about.

Neat, but as written in the paper there is no clear correlations from the simple base physical parameters and tactical diameter. Basing maneuver on ship length and speed is appealing as it takes both physical size into account to a degree and also an important part evasive part (speed). This information is also mostly readily available (speed is admittedly a murky area if you want to use "real" practical speed). It does ignore other important aspects such as how quickly the speed can be changed and the tactical diameter but such information can be much harder to come by, especially if you are only a casual modder without access to a lot of sources of information. The box values that US87891 posted is kind of a generic catch-all for this and can be likened to the generic formula for tactical diameter in the paper.

< Message edited by cardas -- 6/30/2016 4:57:50 PM >

(in reply to US87891)
Post #: 1231
Page:   <<   < prev  38 39 40 41 [42]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: AE Naval and OOB Issues Page: <<   < prev  38 39 40 41 [42]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI