Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: WitpStaff questions and suggestions here please (read the first post!)What is a "WitPStaff"?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Tech Support >> RE: WitpStaff questions and suggestions here please (read the first post!)What is a "WitPStaff"? Page: <<   < prev  8 9 10 [11] 12   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: WitpStaff questions and suggestions here please (re... - 4/4/2010 1:52:54 AM   
n01487477

quote:

ORIGINAL: jamesm

quote:

ORIGINAL: n01487477

quote:

ORIGINAL: jamesm

I recently had to rebuild my system. After installing the latest version of Java, I try to initiate a new DB and get the following error message:

Can anyone recommend a fix for this?

What version of staff and java are you using ? The latest iirc is 0.8 & it CAN'T use 6.18 java

Where can I get the older version of Java?

See these messages in this thread ...
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/fb.asp?m=2363701
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/fb.asp?m=2377518

(in reply to JamesM)
Post #: 301
RE: WitpStaff questions and suggestions here please (re... - 7/17/2010 4:16:48 PM   
morleron1225

OK. So I re-installed the 6_17 version of Java on my PC: in a separate location from the standard version and WiTP Staff came up and initialized the db with no problem. I then initiated a batch load of the data and that went fine for a while. It then failed with the error message: "Couldn't write things to the DB due to:..." see attached screen shot. What is the cause of this and is there any work-around for it? I like WiTP Staff but am beginning to think that it's more trouble than it's worth because of all of the Java-related errors that keep cropping up with it. Is there any chance that WiTP Staff will be updated to reflect the latest changes to both the game and the Java language? If the original developers can no longer maintain the program is there any chance of releasing the code under the Open Source GPL so that the community can take over the task of keeping it updated?

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by morleron1 -- 7/17/2010 4:17:35 PM >

Free men do not ask permission to bear arms.
GnuPG public key available at: pgp.mit.edu

(in reply to n01487477)
Post #: 302
RE: WitpStaff questions and suggestions here please (re... - 7/17/2010 4:48:52 PM   
pompack

Check to insure that the game dates in the batch are successive with no duplicates.

OTOH, I have found it to be less trouble in the long run to do the updates one at a time instead of in batch. That way if something goes wrong you know which file did it

(in reply to morleron1225)
Post #: 303
RE: WitpStaff questions and suggestions here please (re... - 7/17/2010 6:34:28 PM   
Rainer

Same here.
Pompack's advice does not cure the problem.
I believe the program can't cope with the patched versions.

< Message edited by Rainer -- 7/17/2010 6:36:00 PM >

WitP/AE
1.7.11.26b
Data base changes by Andy Mac October 16, 2012
Scen #1 Allied vs AI Level Hard Daily Turns
Art Mods by TomLabel and Reg
Topo Map by chemkid

WitW / Torch
1.01.37 - 1.01.44 beta

Post #: 304
RE: WitpStaff questions and suggestions here please (re... - 7/18/2010 12:10:42 AM   
pompack

Could be. I am patched to 1106c, the latest official patch; I have not installed the latest beta.

OTOH, I am usually working quite well with that patch level. I have found that about once a month, for reasons unknown, I get that error. When I do, I restart Staff and try to load the turn again and it has always worked.

< Message edited by pompack -- 7/18/2010 12:12:29 AM >

(in reply to Rainer)
Post #: 305
RE: WitpStaff questions and suggestions here please (re... - 7/18/2010 4:32:37 AM   
morleron1225

quote:

ORIGINAL: pompack

Check to insure that the game dates in the batch are successive with no duplicates.

OTOH, I have found it to be less trouble in the long run to do the updates one at a time instead of in batch. That way if something goes wrong you know which file did it

Thanks. I tried loading the files one at a time and it worked like a champ. While this is good I'm the type that isn't happy with what seems like "voodoo tech support" - such as the need to reboot Windows PCs to "fix" some problem. While things are working now I'd be a lot happier if someone could explain why loading the files one at a time works, but the batch load fails. I suppose that comes from having been a Unix sysadmin for a long time and knowing that OS pretty much inside-out. Anyway, it's working now so I won't look a gift horse in the mouth too hard.

Free men do not ask permission to bear arms.
GnuPG public key available at: pgp.mit.edu

(in reply to pompack)
Post #: 306
RE: WitpStaff questions and suggestions here please (re... - 7/18/2010 4:42:07 AM   
n01487477

quote:

ORIGINAL: morleron1
... Is there any chance that WiTP Staff will be updated to reflect the latest changes to both the game and the Java language? If the original developers can no longer maintain the program is there any chance of releasing the code under the Open Source GPL so that the community can take over the task of keeping it updated?

Just like WitpTracker, WitpStaff is under a NDA so it will never be released as open source. I haven't seen Marcus online for quite a while ... I think the program works as is, but there will be little to no additional support except when he gets time. As for taking over the program PM him and then get a NDA signed if the Matrix/HF dev's allow.

Tracker has ongoing support, but I realise that some guys want a simple program to help them rather than the behemoth Floyd and I have programmed.

Good luck with it ...

PS. Tracker 1.6 is about to be released

Post #: 307
RE: WitpStaff questions and suggestions here please (re... - 7/19/2010 8:13:37 PM   
Gormadoc

EDIT: Nevermind

< Message edited by Gormadoc -- 7/20/2010 12:46:50 AM >

(in reply to n01487477)
Post #: 308
RE: WitpStaff questions and suggestions here please (re... - 7/22/2010 5:25:16 PM   
findmeifyoucan

Is there any difference between the latest Beta patch 1.01.06g and the Official Public Update Patch 1.01.06g for WIPAE? In other words should I bother installing the Official Update since I have already installed the latest Beta Patch?

(in reply to Gormadoc)
Post #: 309
RE: WitpStaff questions and suggestions here please (re... - 9/8/2010 10:31:28 PM   
perkinh

I cant seem to start a game. I get to the scenario selection screen, but i get no option to start game. I get 3 buttons....

" Historical Briefing"

" Scenario Selection"

" Main Menu"

They all take me back to thye scenario selection and preference screen.

One of the serious problems in planning the fight against American doctrine.... is that the Americans do not read their manuals, nor do they feel any obligation to follow their doctrine

(in reply to findmeifyoucan)
Post #: 310
RE: WitpStaff questions and suggestions here please (re... - 9/8/2010 10:56:01 PM   
findmeifyoucan

That is because you need to actually select a scenerio before you can start a game in the "Scenerio Selection Area". lol :-)

(in reply to perkinh)
Post #: 311
RE: WitpStaff questions and suggestions here please (re... - 9/9/2010 2:02:14 AM   
perkinh

I thought of that...

But still nothing there, i got to get a screenie somehow.

One of the serious problems in planning the fight against American doctrine.... is that the Americans do not read their manuals, nor do they feel any obligation to follow their doctrine

Post #: 312
RE: WitpStaff questions and suggestions here please (re... - 9/9/2010 2:56:52 AM   
findmeifyoucan

Maybe you need to reinstall game then. It should be simple. You go to select scenerio, and left click on one of the scenerio's then select, "SELECT SCENERIO"on bottom left of screen and then on the right you should be able to select "START GAME" on the right hand side on a new screen.

(in reply to perkinh)
Post #: 313
RE: WitpStaff questions and suggestions here please (re... - 9/9/2010 5:22:40 AM   
perkinh

Thanks...i had to reload game, i could never get the " start game " button. Ok after reload.

Post #: 314
RE: WitpStaff questions and suggestions here please (re... - 10/9/2010 2:09:04 PM   
johnjohn

I just purchased a new computer and installed from disk and then updated to newest version. I cannot get the interface with the map to work. Everything is jibberish with only parts of information showing. Did not have this problem on Vista laptop. The program also takes forever to load or to switch screens. Instead of being faster on a faster machine, IT IS EXTREMELY SLOW. I am disappointed at the performance of the game, which BTW, I cannot get to close--I have to use the task manager to shut it down. I know this is a good game, but this is essentially non functioning right now. What do I do next? And keep in mind I am not a code master. If I have to write code, we are done.

(in reply to perkinh)
Post #: 315
RE: WitpStaff questions and suggestions here please (re... - 10/9/2010 2:11:17 PM   
johnjohn

Additionally, it is a gaming computer using Windows 7. I read about cpu switches for the faster computers, but that makes no sense to me.

(in reply to johnjohn)
Post #: 316
RE: WitpStaff questions and suggestions here please - 11/5/2010 11:20:39 AM   
pmattiasn

quote:

ORIGINAL: michaelm

For those with a bit of PC savvy, you can download the JAVA JRE for u17 (jre-6u17-windows-i586.exe from SUN Java) and install it as a separate installation by selecting "Change Destination Folder" in the lower left of the Java install screen.
Click 'Install' and continue with the installation and it will install this version of JAVA in C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_17 on your PC.

Then go to the Witpstaff directory in AE and edit the file 'witpStaff.bat' and change the java line to:
C:\"Program Files"\Java\jre1.6.0_17\bin\java -Djava.library.path=. -jar witpdecoder2.jar
and save it. The ""s are needed because of the space between Program and Files.

Clicking on this will now run with java version 17 and you wont get the 'DATE' error.

Any programs that use JAVA will still work with the latest version (18).

Hi,

after having gone through this entire thread I found this which nicely solved the problem. Good one for us poor souls who, while having engineering degrees, do have it in fields other than computer science... It worked like charm when I tested it on a new scen 2 and one fresh savegame.

However - when I try to do what I actuall wanted to do, which is to use staff to finally get a grasp of my ongoing (allied vs AI) da babes campaign going into ´44 to keep track of the thousands of units now under my command I can't load a savegame. DB initialised ok but when I try to load a file I get an error. Is it compability error with the custom scen or is it my computer illiteracy that is the culprit?

/Mattias

Attachment (1)

(in reply to michaelm75au)
Post #: 317
RE: WitpStaff questions and suggestions here please - 11/8/2010 12:05:01 PM   
michaelm75au

I think it is a scenario issue - trying to access something out of scope of the array.

Michael

(in reply to pmattiasn)
Post #: 318
RE: WitpStaff questions and suggestions here please - 11/8/2010 12:09:26 PM   
pmattiasn

Hm. I see. Without actually knowing what the error message says it seems to have something to do with unit names, arrival dates etc.

Is there a list somewhere of which scen's do not work well with staff?

Thanks,
Mattias

Post #: 319
RE: WitpStaff questions and suggestions here please - 11/9/2010 12:12:26 AM   
n01487477

quote:

ORIGINAL: PMN

Hm. I see. Without actually knowing what the error message says it seems to have something to do with unit names, arrival dates etc.

Is there a list somewhere of which scen's do not work well with staff?

Thanks,
Mattias

If you read the first page Marcus stated that witpStaff does not work with most(all) of the small scenario's - and I'd say that any mods which are out of left field may have trouble (as MichealM) stated. I do believe that all the official scenario's do work however. Why don't you test them and provide some support ?

(in reply to pmattiasn)
Post #: 320
RE: WitpStaff questions and suggestions here please - 11/9/2010 7:22:18 AM   
pmattiasn

Good idea! When I get some spare time on my hands (ie next time I have to spend half a day in an airport lounge) I'll do that and report back, and hope I'm not the only one with this question

(in reply to n01487477)
Post #: 321
RE: WitpStaff questions and suggestions here please - 11/9/2010 5:46:05 PM   
pmattiasn

Couldn't resist to try one more time even though I have a deadline to meet in the morning, and now I got witpstaff to load a new fresh savegame of the DBB scenario! Including all new ships and classes as far as a quick glance could tell me.

Not sure what the problem could be but I'll keep testing and see if I can make some sense of it and report back here...

/M

(in reply to n01487477)
Post #: 322
RE: WitpStaff questions and suggestions here please - 11/10/2010 5:22:13 PM   
xnavytc

getting the following error messages, when i open witpstaff.bat "the plugin directory c:\matrixgames\War in the Pacific Admiral's Edition\tools\witpstaff\de\retsiemuab\witpdecoder\gui\mapviewplugins not accessible, any help would be appreciated???

(in reply to pmattiasn)
Post #: 323
RE: WitpStaff questions and suggestions here please - 11/20/2010 6:36:47 PM   
MAARTENR

I got the same trouble with the date here's mine java if i must change it how do i do that?
when i want to change the java i got to registrate me is there a link where you dont have to do.
And i've got vista wich one must i take with some info needed, i dont remember how it was called.
could there be maked a tool for it to fix this problem?

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by MAARTENR -- 11/20/2010 10:44:48 PM >

(in reply to xnavytc)
Post #: 324
RE: WitpStaff questions and suggestions here please - 11/20/2010 10:44:03 PM   
MAARTENR

What must i do? With the java? I've got vista premium, must i select premium or the windows programm or something like that.
What with other programms if i change java?
please help me.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by MAARTENR -- 11/21/2010 3:17:48 PM >

(in reply to MAARTENR)
Post #: 325
RE: WitpStaff questions and suggestions here please - 11/20/2010 11:03:43 PM   
MAARTENR

How does it works with db, please show it with pictures. I'm playig bigbabes, and where i've got to put the .pws file in?

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by MAARTENR -- 11/21/2010 2:42:27 PM >

(in reply to MAARTENR)
Post #: 326
RE: WitpStaff questions and suggestions here please - 11/21/2010 5:37:32 PM   
MAARTENR

Must i download this two and must i than restart mine pc? And must i dont update java?
http://java.sun.com/products/archive/j2se/6u17/index.html
And in wich folder must i download the one or two files?
must i download both or one, if one wich one?

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by MAARTENR -- 11/21/2010 5:58:24 PM >

(in reply to MAARTENR)
Post #: 327
RE: WitpStaff questions and suggestions here please - 11/23/2010 9:31:45 AM   
MAARTENR

Please help me.

< Message edited by MAARTENR -- 11/23/2010 6:35:44 PM >

(in reply to MAARTENR)
Post #: 328
RE: WitpStaff questions and suggestions here please - 11/23/2010 6:57:07 PM   
MAARTENR

quote:

ORIGINAL: MAARTENR

I've got both to download at the java folder. And do i also need to change a rule with a file or not?
Is it good to have a good password for registration at Java?
Does it works than?

< Message edited by MAARTENR -- 11/23/2010 7:03:16 PM >

(in reply to MAARTENR)
Post #: 329
RE: WitpStaff questions and suggestions here please - 11/23/2010 7:08:33 PM   
MAARTENR

quote:

ORIGINAL: michaelm

For those with a bit of PC savvy, you can download the JAVA JRE for u17 (jre-6u17-windows-i586.exe from SUN Java) and install it as a separate installation by selecting "Change Destination Folder" in the lower left of the Java install screen.
Click 'Install' and continue with the installation and it will install this version of JAVA in C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_17 on your PC.

Then go to the Witpstaff directory in AE and edit the file 'witpStaff.bat' and change the java line to:
C:\"Program Files"\Java\jre1.6.0_17\bin\java -Djava.library.path=. -jar witpdecoder2.jar
and save it. The ""s are needed because of the space between Program and Files.

Clicking on this will now run with java version 17 and you wont get the 'DATE' error.

Any programs that use JAVA will still work with the latest version (18).

Must i do the witpstaff.bat to run the programm?

Post #: 330
Page:   <<   < prev  8 9 10 [11] 12   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Tech Support >> RE: WitpStaff questions and suggestions here please (read the first post!)What is a "WitPStaff"? Page: <<   < prev  8 9 10 [11] 12   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI