Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: HOI3

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: HOI3 Page: <<   < prev  10 11 [12] 13 14   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: HOI3 - 11/27/2009 2:28:56 AM   
06 Maestro

quote:

ORIGINAL: Arctic Blast

By the way, for anyone who wants to grab it to play or in hopes it gets fixed, it's 75% off as part of Direct2Drive's Thanksgiving sale.

OMG-its actually $7.50-thats about an 83% reduction from what I paid. And its not even a used copy?

Banking establishments are more dangerous than standing armies.

Thomas Jefferson

(in reply to Arctic Blast)
Post #: 331
RE: HOI3 - 11/27/2009 3:40:21 AM   
LarryP

Still a bad deal.

(in reply to Arctic Blast)
Post #: 332
RE: HOI3 - 11/27/2009 4:43:40 AM   
06 Maestro

quote:

ORIGINAL: LarryP

Still a bad deal.

You know, LarryP, you can be one cold, cold dude sometimes.

Thomas Jefferson

(in reply to LarryP)
Post #: 333
RE: HOI3 - 11/27/2009 2:57:07 PM   
LarryP

Yeah I know, but unlike our president, brutally honest.

(in reply to 06 Maestro)
Post #: 334
RE: HOI3 - 11/27/2009 3:26:41 PM   
sabre1

+1 LarryP

Someone is going to slap our hands though.

(in reply to LarryP)
Post #: 335
RE: HOI3 - 11/27/2009 3:31:13 PM   
LarryP

Yeah, I figured I would get into trouble with a political statement even that small. Sometimes the truth gets you into trouble but it's still worth it.

I can't think of a president that's been 100% honest during their entire term though.

Now I'm in trouble for being off topic too!

< Message edited by LarryP -- 11/27/2009 3:32:54 PM >

(in reply to sabre1)
Post #: 336
RE: HOI3 - 11/27/2009 3:34:37 PM   
sabre1

LOL, nice try and nice save (maybe), but I'm with you on the original post.

(in reply to LarryP)
Post #: 337
RE: HOI3 - 11/28/2009 4:31:37 AM   
RyanCrierie

So I got it with the deal; and I am LOLing my way through it.

Guess what the US can build in the 20 June 1944 scenario?

M-47 pattons, F9Fs, and AD Skyraiders!

And in the 1941 scenario, the US starts out capable of building P-51Ds!

And this is after 3 patches!

Speed is also pretty slow.

As in on my computer a quad core with 8 GB of ram, it takes 2-3 seconds to do a day -- that means 12 minutes a year, and thus one hour of sitting around as the US before you can do anything in a 1936 scenario

Honestly, I don't think it will be ready until 2010; at which point they'll have:

New Map that fixes all of paradox's messes which they refuse to fix.

Here is a hint: the major port in maryland is in BALTIMORE, not in Washington DC.

CORE mod or something that smashes the scenarios and techs back into something a bit more...sane and logical.

< Message edited by RyanCrierie -- 11/28/2009 4:32:47 AM >

(in reply to sabre1)
Post #: 338
RE: HOI3 - 11/28/2009 10:28:42 PM   
goodwoodrw

How big is this game to D/l, and does the latest d\l include the latest patch? (v1.3)

Formerly Goodwood

(in reply to RyanCrierie)
Post #: 339
RE: HOI3 - 11/28/2009 11:17:54 PM   
RyanCrierie

About 660~ MB download, and it's patched to 1.1; you have to download the 1.3 patch

(in reply to goodwoodrw)
Post #: 340
RE: HOI3 - 11/28/2009 11:39:38 PM   
goodwoodrw

thanks Ryan

Formerly Goodwood

(in reply to RyanCrierie)
Post #: 341
RE: HOI3 - 11/28/2009 11:44:42 PM   
goodwoodrw

i guess the next decision is buy online or via EB. Eb is $A69 as a opposed to $US29 with exchange rate .92 US to the Oz $ = $A32/33 Whats better DD or a hard copy any Idea what the box set has got?

Formerly Goodwood

(in reply to goodwoodrw)
Post #: 342
RE: HOI3 - 11/29/2009 12:03:06 AM   
goodwoodrw

However the deciding factor may well be the ability to register this game Paradox is near impossible to register. There silly verification system keeps telling me I use the wrong image, Crap all I want to do is play a game not get a job with the CIA or MI5 I'm losing interest before I even get this game.

Formerly Goodwood

(in reply to goodwoodrw)
Post #: 343
RE: HOI3 - 11/29/2009 9:03:36 PM   
rhondabrwn

I took advantage of the $7.50 offer.

I can recognize the weird happenings described above, but things like P-51D mustangs arriving too early for the US is a "tuning issue" that will eventually be cured by adjusting whatever data tables control such things. If Paradox doesn't do it, some modder will.

What I think is more important is the design of the game itself and how it plays. I've had all the prior versions of HOI and, quite frankly, found them very tedious to play and not all that much fun. Nevertheless, I love the idea of such a strategic level game system so I support it. HOI3 seems to be much more intuitive in terms of play while retaining the huge range of options. I'm just starting out with it, but at least initially I am having a good time with it. It was worth the $7.50 price tag.

So, here's to the next patch.

Love & Peace,

Far Dareis Mai

My old Piczo site seems to be gone, so no more Navajo Nation pics :(

(in reply to goodwoodrw)
Post #: 344
RE: HOI3 - 11/29/2009 10:10:50 PM   
06 Maestro

The U.S. and Germany have enough "leadership" points that they can afford to pay the "rushing" penalties. It is very possible to get ahead of the actual historical techs in some, but not all, areas. Even with those two, you would be allowing some techs to languish which they should have otherwise been further along. With any other country it is difficult, or impossible, to try to keep up.

It may be that an added penalty should be added for tech rushing beyond 2 years-something that would dissuade players from doing that.

I think it is an unfortunate reality that most players (myself included) spend their leadership points disproportional on research rather than in diplomacy. This results in things like Sweden joining the Allies. Germany has more than enough LP's to be able to control events in Europe in a historical manner and to make very good progress in research. Its a tough choice; keep Sweden neutral or have king Tigers by 41.

One of the biggest problems with the new design is that if you do not play as UK, Germany or the USA, it is impossible to have a historical flow starting from '36. There is no way that Italy or France can spend LP's to keep things in historical perspective and still and maintain even a modest level of research. Any other smaller county you can forget about historical play. In an MP game where such diplomatic requirements can be divided amongst allies this may not be that big a problem. However, playing single player as any country but Germany, USA (and possibly the UK)leads to very unhistorical results. The only way to get around this I have found it to start in '39.

Thomas Jefferson

(in reply to rhondabrwn)
Post #: 345
RE: HOI3 - 11/29/2009 10:36:49 PM   
killroyishere

I've always felt the HOI series tries to do too much and thus ends up doing nothing at all but making a mess of it all. The origional HOI was never finished as it was patchworked more than anything espeically with the navy and air game of it. I'm afraid HOI III will be the worst of the bunch as they have moved onto other games and patches and it's already been said if there is a patch 1.4 it will just be for minor bugs or system issues. That doesn't sound promising for fixing the game to completion to me. I'd almost bet they will put out an expansion for it before a final patch for it. Kinda like creative assembly is doing with ETW.

(in reply to 06 Maestro)
Post #: 346
RE: HOI3 - 11/30/2009 11:58:36 PM   
Greybriar

Hearts of Iron III is on sale TODAY (30 November 2009) ONLY for $11.98 at GamersGate.

This war is not about slavery. --Robert E. Lee

(in reply to killroyishere)
Post #: 347
RE: HOI3 - 12/1/2009 12:21:47 AM   
06 Maestro

quote:

ORIGINAL: Greybriar

Hearts of Iron III is on sale TODAY (30 November 2009) ONLY for $11.98 at GamersGate.

OK-now this is a little irritating-that's where I bought my copy from. I expected a price drop in in a year or slightly less, but not 4.5 months.

Can you say "sap"? Oh well, someone has to support them.

Thomas Jefferson

(in reply to Greybriar)
Post #: 348
RE: HOI3 - 12/1/2009 12:33:47 AM   
Aurelian

I passed on the $7.50 deal. I'll wait till the map is fixed. Nothing like losing the battle of Stalingrad not because I was out fought, but because I couldn't find it.

(in reply to 06 Maestro)
Post #: 349
RE: HOI3 - 12/1/2009 2:19:54 AM   
LarryP

quote:

ORIGINAL: Greybriar

Still too much.

(in reply to Greybriar)
Post #: 350
RE: HOI3 - 12/1/2009 2:46:37 AM   
06 Maestro

quote:

Still too much.

What a wisenheimer.

< Message edited by 06 Maestro -- 12/1/2009 2:47:04 AM >

Thomas Jefferson

(in reply to LarryP)
Post #: 351
RE: HOI3 - 12/1/2009 3:36:33 AM   
GoodGuy

quote:

Well put. I've had a lot of fun with EU2 and EU3, but this HOI3 should have been much better.

What's EU2/3 ?

EDIT: (due to the acronym etiquette )

I had Hearts of Iron II (HOI) doomsday, but sold it to my neighbor as I got bored.
He also had a similar game where I fail to remember the title, pretty much the same setup as HOI (with world map) and it offered PBEM, name started with "D..." ? It almost looked like a freeware version of HOI (means pretty simple gfx and counters, but similar layout of territories/states) and a rather simple diplomat feature. Does anyone know that game? Just curious.

I didn't read this entire thread, but in short:

Is HOI III a game with replay value or not?
(It's still $7.50 only on junk2drive errr direct2drive ). I am waiting for some full price games to come out, but - meanwhile - 7 bucks for a game wouldn't hurt, i guess.

Are there any other WW2 games you could recommend, say where you can control entire grand campaigns (say Europe, pacific, whatever).
I usually prefer continous play or real-time, but if it's a good game, I wouldn't ignore a turn-based one, it just has to feature replayability.
What's War in the Pacific (WITP) like? Would that fit to the profile?

< Message edited by GoodGuy -- 12/1/2009 4:21:34 AM >

"Aw Nuts"
General Anthony McAuliffe
December 22nd, 1944
Bastogne

---
"I've always felt that the AA (Alied Assault engine) had the potential to be [....] big."
Tim Stone
8th of August, 2006

(in reply to LarryP)
Post #: 352
RE: HOI3 - 12/1/2009 4:30:48 AM   
06 Maestro

quote:

ORIGINAL: GoodGuy
What's EU2/3 ?

Europa Universalis

quote:

Is HOI3 a game with replay value or not?
(It's still $7.50 only on junk2drive errr direct2drive ). I am waiting for some full price games to come out, but - meanwhile - 7 bucks for a game wouldn't hurt, i guess.

IMO, there is some decent replay value. I probably have my per hour playing cost down to about 40 cents. It should be less than .25 by now, but there were some difficulties with the game. I have no doubt I will get my moneys worth from it eventually. At 7.50 you should be able to do that standing on your head.

quote:

What's WiTP like? Would that fit to the profile?

WitP is a very detailed game-and much more accurate than HoI. In WitP you act as the supreme military commander for the Pacific theater for Japan or the US. In HoI you act as the supreme all knowing dictator that makes all decisions on what units, doctrines, equipment to build or research and diplomatic efforts...and how all your nations resources are to be utilized including "leadership"...and command on whatever level you want down to brigade level...and to assigned your various generals and admirals to positions that you, as the all knowing fearless leader thinks that they will excel in based upon their various skill levels and traits.

Addit-BTW, I would suggest buying from Gamersgate. It is slightly more expensive, but it seems like the buyers from there have less problem registering at Paradox. If you can't register your game, you do not have access to the tech support forums. Even if you do not want their support, there is good stuff in there such as the Strategy Guide put together by a player. It is an excellent document which explains many things about the game in a concise and clear manner.

< Message edited by 06 Maestro -- 12/1/2009 4:34:36 AM >

Thomas Jefferson

(in reply to GoodGuy)
Post #: 353
RE: HOI3 - 12/1/2009 4:44:06 AM   
GoodGuy

quote:

ORIGINAL: 06 Maestro

Addit-BTW, I would suggest buying from Gamersgate. It is slightly more expensive, but it seems like the buyers from there have less problem registering at Paradox. If you can't register your game, you do not have access to the tech support forums. Even if you do not want their support, there is good stuff in there such as the Strategy Guide put together by a player. It is an excellent document which explains many things about the game in a concise and clear manner.

Thanks for the infos about War in the Pacific.
Damn, I'm already downloading Hearts III from direct2drive, I couldn't hold my horses. You don't need to register to get the patches, do you??

< Message edited by GoodGuy -- 12/1/2009 4:45:14 AM >

"Aw Nuts"
General Anthony McAuliffe
December 22nd, 1944
Bastogne

---
"I've always felt that the AA (Alied Assault engine) had the potential to be [....] big."
Tim Stone
8th of August, 2006

(in reply to 06 Maestro)
Post #: 354
RE: HOI3 - 12/1/2009 4:50:33 AM   
bairdlander2

The patch should be available when you start game,it does with mine anyway.If not register and download from Paradox Interactive forums.They want people to register game cuz of piracy issues,lol,evan though game is available from most torrent sites.

(in reply to GoodGuy)
Post #: 355
RE: HOI3 - 12/1/2009 5:05:41 AM   
bairdlander2

quote:

ORIGINAL: 06 Maestro

I think it is an unfortunate reality that most players (myself included) spend their leadership points disproportional on research rather than in diplomacy. This results in things like Sweden joining the Allies.

I usually research 6 techs.3 LP's in spies,2 in officers and the rest in diplomacy.With the techs i start with theory.Watch the diplomacy triangle and influence nations moving closer to factions you dont want them to be in.Increase threat levels of eneamies with spies.Reasearch the supply techs also.

(in reply to 06 Maestro)
Post #: 356
RE: HOI3 - 12/1/2009 5:14:23 AM   
06 Maestro

quote:

ORIGINAL: bairdlander
I usually research 6 techs.3 LP's in spies,2 in officers and the rest in diplomacy.With the techs i start with theory.Watch the diplomacy triangle and influence nations moving closer to factions you dont want them to be in.Increase threat levels of eneamies with spies.Reasearch the supply techs also.

If you are playing as Germany that would mean you would have about 14 LP's in diplomacy. With that kind of an investment you could get the US into the Axis. I was considering doing a little test along those lines; conquer the wold (or at least get them into the Axis) via diplomacy. It looks possible to get everyone in except France, UK and the USSR.

Thomas Jefferson

(in reply to bairdlander2)
Post #: 357
RE: HOI3 - 12/1/2009 2:23:37 PM   
bairdlander2

Since 1.3 patch I noticed its a lot harder to get trades.The ai also breaks trades a lot as well.As Germany I am influencing USA,they are drifting to Axis,but the relations score is not increasing.I can say 1.3 has made the game a lot more difficult.I dont know what one of the previos posters meant re research.Yes you can research in advance,but it takes longer and is a severe penalty.Also when said product(in this case Patton tank) can be built ic cost will be high and production will be few.Still think its a good game,when fully patched will be amazing.But not sure if thsts possible with all the detail to create a good ai.HOI3 reminds me of WitP,but instead of one theatre its the entire world.

(in reply to 06 Maestro)
Post #: 358
RE: HOI3 - 12/1/2009 2:35:49 PM   
JudgeDredd

wish mine would get to the menu!

Post #: 359
RE: HOI3 - 12/1/2009 2:41:14 PM   
SlickWilhelm

Would you guys say that Hearts of Iron III is more work than fun? Or is it intellectually stimulating in the way Forge of Freedom is where you can spend hours thinking about what to do on any given turn? 

Beta Tester - Brother Against Brother
Beta Tester - Commander: The Great War
Beta Tester - Desert War 1940-42

Post #: 360
Page:   <<   < prev  10 11 [12] 13 14   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: HOI3 Page: <<   < prev  10 11 [12] 13 14   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI