Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: HOI3

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: HOI3 Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: HOI3 - 8/8/2009 4:53:49 PM   
Historiker

Without any doubt: I am the spawn of evil - and the Bavarian Beer Monster (BBM)!

There's only one bad word and that's taxes. If any other word is good enough for sailors; it's good enough for you. - Ron Swanson

(in reply to Joram)
Post #: 91
RE: HOI3 - 8/8/2009 5:13:46 PM   
Lützow

quote:

ORIGINAL: doomtrader
Battle Goat

BG reminds to the 40 bucks I wasted lasted year for SR2020. They combined a sophisticated business simulation with C&C style combat, where one got to manage hundreds of units in realtime. It was the most confusing clickfest I ever encountered and the dev's even defended this completely lack of control as design decision.

< Message edited by Lützow -- 8/8/2009 5:14:00 PM >

(in reply to doomtrader)
Post #: 92
RE: HOI3 - 8/8/2009 5:26:05 PM   
Dixie

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lützow

quote:

Battle Goat

BG reminds to the 40 bucks I wasted lasted year for SR2020. They combined a sophisticated business simulation with C&C style combat, where one got to manage hundreds of units in realtime. It was the most confusing clickfest I ever encountered and the dev's even defended this completely lack of control as design decision.

They decided not to design anything?

Bigger boys stole my sig

(in reply to Lützow)
Post #: 93
RE: HOI3 - 8/8/2009 5:36:40 PM   
Historiker

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lützow

quote:

Battle Goat

The most excessive clickfest for me was Dune 2. RTS with dozends of units - but no possibility to give them orders than one by one...

Without any doubt: I am the spawn of evil - and the Bavarian Beer Monster (BBM)!

There's only one bad word and that's taxes. If any other word is good enough for sailors; it's good enough for you. - Ron Swanson

(in reply to Lützow)
Post #: 94
RE: HOI3 - 8/8/2009 8:47:05 PM   
Ike99

quote:

Oh, look who crawled out of his little hole... I admitted to "bashing" Paradox, along with all other gaming companies who won't invent something new.

Loser.

-SHRUG-

What you´re failing to understand here, my little slope headed troll, is your not just any poster on any forum.

You´re officially connected with a Matrix new release, admitedly ¨bashing¨ another companys new release on the Matrix forum.

That sends a strong message troll or can´t you understand that.

Probably not.

¨If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.¨ Che Guevara

The more I know people, the more I like my dog.

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 95
RE: HOI3 - 8/8/2009 9:26:31 PM   
doomtrader

You might want to read this:
http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?t=418100

(in reply to Ike99)
Post #: 96
RE: HOI3 - 8/8/2009 11:35:04 PM   
killroyishere

I think it's kind of funny how everytime there is a Paradox release three forums start an uproar over the game released. The Paradox forum itself, The Wargamer and Matrixgames. I sometimes wonder if it isn't a conspiracy or just jealousy?

(in reply to doomtrader)
Post #: 97
RE: HOI3 - 8/8/2009 11:47:05 PM   
Hertston

quote:

ORIGINAL: Historiker

The most excessive clickfest for me was Dune 2. RTS with dozends of units - but no possibility to give them orders than one by one...

Be fair.. it was the first of the breed. It's been a long time but I don't even remember it being a particular problem. I still found it easier to play than modern RTS games as at least you weren't fannying about with camera controls all the time.

quote:

ORIGINAL: killroyishere

I think it's kind of funny how everytime there is a Paradox release three forums start an uproar over the game released. The Paradox forum itself, The Wargamer and Matrixgames. I sometimes wonder if it isn't a conspiracy or just jealousy?

Neither. What 'uproar'? Frankly mate, it's just paranoia.

We've had one poster having something resembling a pop at Paradox, while everybody else has either explained reasonably and politely why they will be buying HoI 3 or why they won't. It's only because the games are so popular, and a great many regular Matrix punters are fans, that they are discussed at the length they are.

(in reply to killroyishere)
Post #: 98
RE: HOI3 - 8/8/2009 11:50:05 PM   
JudgeDredd

I know what you mean.

Personally, I've had a blast with it ALL day!

I think in "wargamer forum" terms, that makes me a fanboi - but I would never have said so...I simply like some games and not others...I don't really give a crap who the dev or publisher is - if it's a game I like, and I have the cash I will stump up. I like to call it "supporting my hobby"...and I mean that regardless of dev or publisher!

Money well spent here.

I also found it funny that some people were not happy that the game is ahistorical and yet mention picking it up when it's $5. I suppose there must be a price on historical accuracy for some people. I of course have no problem with that - it's their wallet and their money, hard earned or otherwise - I just find that particular situation strange.

(in reply to killroyishere)
Post #: 99
RE: HOI3 - 8/8/2009 11:51:24 PM   
JudgeDredd

Hertston, clearly you haven't visited the Wargamer forum.

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 100
RE: HOI3 - 8/8/2009 11:56:02 PM   
Hertston

quote:

ORIGINAL: JudgeDredd
Hertston, clearly you haven't visited the Wargamer forum.

True. Not a regular haunt of mine and I was really just commenting on this thread. Apologies to killroyishere if that forum is suggestive of a conspiracy!

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 101
RE: HOI3 - 8/8/2009 11:59:12 PM   
Hertston

quote:

You might want to read this:
http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?t=418100

quote:

"I for one am sick and tired of not being able to say this, not being able to get a piece out in the magazine without the editor blocking it because it would annoy the sponsors....sorry I meant publishers. Would it shock all of you to know that game magazines and websites get paid from publishers? Would it shock you if I told you that 2 weeks before I was due to write a piece on a game that the UK publisher/developer took me to a British football game in a private box with champagne, and all the trimming? Would it shock you if I told you that when I told my Editor that the game was full of bugs that he told me not to write about that, then learning that he was taking back handers from the very same company?"

Ouch... One reason the numbers of 'professional' review sources I pay any attention to are extremely limited.

(in reply to doomtrader)
Post #: 102
RE: HOI3 - 8/9/2009 3:44:18 AM   
jjdenver

I bought HOI3. I've played it for 2 days. I've had a lot of fun.

However I've stopped playing it because the bugs really are game breakers in there now.

Still - I'm not sad that I spent the $40 on it. I'll wait a week or two or three until it's patched and play it some more. Really interesting game even if it's not too playable atm.

(in reply to Hertston)
Post #: 103
RE: HOI3 - 8/9/2009 4:20:55 AM   
jjax

I really liked HOI2 and got a lot of hours out of that title. But then again, i got it pretty late in the game so it was all patched up.

I am disappointed with all the troubles with HOI3. I was looking forward to this title.

I will still get it sometime down the road. But for now, my budget and time is tapped out with AE. Hopefully by then, the bugs will be worked out.

< Message edited by jjax -- 8/9/2009 4:28:21 AM >

--JJAX

(in reply to jjdenver)
Post #: 104
RE: HOI3 - 8/9/2009 8:05:13 AM   
JudgeDredd

If you have AE jjax, you can't possibly have enough time to play another game - especially as deep as the HoI series :D

(in reply to jjax)
Post #: 105
RE: HOI3 - 8/9/2009 8:12:49 AM   
JudgeDredd

There are only a few people - but it has become quite venomous. I'm not going to read the diatribe anymore. There is quite clearly an agenda.

Unfortunately, they are not completely wrong, however it's the way they're going about it that gets under my skin.

Son of Montfort who used to post here regularly...remember him? Well, they've even turned against him. I mean, the guy never wrote an inflammatory post in his life, but because he suggested a patch on release day was a good thing from the developer, he's suddently been touted a fanboi.

I mean, EVERY game released needs a patch. Every single one. So Paradox has one ready for release, meaning they did not sit on their hands when they went gold - and that's a bad thing?

Ok. I really am done talking about it. I've got a great game to go and play and why should I sit a read crap. There are some people who just do not like Paradox, regardless of game...a quick read of a few forums and certain posts will identify those people.

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 106
RE: HOI3 - 8/9/2009 9:27:52 AM   
Qwixt

I don't really care if a developer releases a patch on release day, as long as the game works properly within reason. I like seeing early patches from developers because it shows that they are supporting the game, and attempting to correct problems. I have seen developers like the evil EA completely ignore broken aspects of games, and never release patches.

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 107
RE: HOI3 - 8/9/2009 9:47:20 AM   
Qwixt

Just saw that there are sprite packs for hoi3 for US and Germany now offered for $2 by paradox. These should be in the game already as far as I am concerned. Yet another example of why I think Paradox is a B class developer.

"The American Sprite Pack contains 16 new unique sprites for when playing USA in Hearts of Iron 3. "

Ex. BB: Iowa Class, CV: Essex Class, BB: North Carolina Class, CV: Lexington class, ...
Ex. BB: Bismarck, BC: Scharnhorst, Submarine: Type VII, Messerchmitt BF109K, ...

(in reply to Qwixt)
Post #: 108
RE: HOI3 - 8/9/2009 10:05:18 AM   
Widell

quote:

ORIGINAL: Joram
quote:

ORIGINAL: Widell
As for "historical accuracy", based on history, there will be a tonne of mods to meet 99% of all game flavours different players want. Then they need to fix a few issues with the map.

Yeah probably. But I don't buy a game just to wait for some nice person to mod it like I want. I'll wait till hit's £5.99 at the bargain bin for that.

Well, so far I have not seen a single game release for which the accuracy of the map, OOB and ToE was extensively discussed and eventually modded to the different flavours requested (Well, actually, COTA and HTTR may be the exceptions here). Same goes for patches. Some games/developers have a higher frequency of patches than others, sometimes due to bad programming, sometimes due to philosophy.

(in reply to Joram)
Post #: 109
RE: HOI3 - 8/9/2009 10:36:48 AM   
JudgeDredd

[EDIT]

Just remembered I'm not taking part in these kind of threads

< Message edited by JudgeDredd -- 8/9/2009 10:39:18 AM >

(in reply to Qwixt)
Post #: 110
RE: HOI3 - 8/9/2009 11:53:43 AM   
06 Maestro

quote:

[EDIT]

Just remembered I'm not taking part in these kind of threads

Too late Judge-Millions have already seen your response vis email. You p a r t i c i p a t e d.

Banking establishments are more dangerous than standing armies.

Thomas Jefferson

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 111
RE: HOI3 - 8/9/2009 12:13:01 PM   
06 Maestro

All the quiobiling about whether a company is good or not because of some bugs in a new PC game that sells for 40 bucks strikes me as comical. Paradox is dragging the industry down with their shoddy product? How silly. So, they broke trading with the first patch-that's silly too, but it will be fixed shortly. I might even wait till that time to buy it-still toying with the demo-which runs fine on my primary PC. HoiDD and EU 3 are the only other products of theirs I own, I've read at length about their other games, but have not bought any others. I think that they may be slightly over taxed at times, but they still end up fixing their product, which is, in the end, an excellent game.

Now, one thing about Paradox that strikes me as very odd is their forum police. I have seen more people banned at that site then all other sites which I visit combined-odd indeed. Frequently while visiting there I will have scenes from Doctor Strangelove flash before mein eyes. "Mein Fueher, we must.." whilst struggling to hold the right army down from the salute. I tread on thin ice there. I suspect that some here cannot go there anymore.

Banking establishments are more dangerous than standing armies.

Thomas Jefferson

(in reply to 06 Maestro)
Post #: 112
RE: HOI3 - 8/9/2009 12:33:57 PM   
doomtrader

OTOH I downloaded the game with 1.1b patch already included

(in reply to 06 Maestro)
Post #: 113
RE: HOI3 - 8/9/2009 12:40:14 PM   
Hertston

quote:

ORIGINAL: Qwixt

Just saw that there are sprite packs for hoi3 for US and Germany now offered for $2 by paradox. These should be in the game already as far as I am concerned. Yet another example of why I think Paradox is a B class developer.

That's just following what I agree is an unfortunate trend. I must admit I thought asking punters to fork out more cash to get sprites for something like the Bismarck was a bit much, although at least they are cheap. The Sims 3 did that, with loads of what should have been included with the box release available a downloadable-pay content for absolutely extortionate prices. My current 'favourite' is 'East India Company' which a for which a downloadable expansion pack was released on the same day as the initial release. The only way to stop the rip-off merchants is not to pay.

.... and as I've just remembered who publishes East India Company, I'd better stop there...

< Message edited by Hertston -- 8/9/2009 3:20:15 PM >

(in reply to Qwixt)
Post #: 114
RE: HOI3 - 8/9/2009 1:01:07 PM   
jackx

I'm not opposed to DL content per se - particularly when it's very work-intensive, as would for example be the case with new 3d models, or maps for say, a FPS. Of course, the urge to cash in is there, just as it was with expansion packs...
Highly optimistic release dates, and subsequently rushed/bugged/incomplete games of course contribute to the overall negative feeling - in such a situation, it's just that much harder to convince people that they're paying for new content, and not merely being charged extra for left-overs (and I have the feeling that the latter is actually often the case).

What strikes me as odd in this particular case isn't so much charging money for sprites (not sure how work-intensive their creation is, you can make them from very detailed animated 3d models, but you definitely don't have to), it's charging money for, eye-candy upgrades for a game that, IMHO, is finding buyers despite, not because of, its visuals, and that may have an impact on what is seen as "justifiable" which is of course still highly subjective...

(For the record: I'm not a HOI player, and positively indifferent to Paradox games in general.)

Edit: Just realized that TC2M was published by Paradox, so I guess that's one game I'm technically not indifferent about - even though before today, I wasn't even aware that Paradox was the publisher, and I only found out by chance (I dropped the TC2M box while finally unpacking my non-priority boxes after moving a few weeks ago, could've dropped any other game box just as well, and would be none the wiser still).

< Message edited by jackx -- 8/9/2009 9:16:14 PM >

no truth - no justice
all false belief
blinded by morality
there shall be ... no peace

(in reply to Hertston)
Post #: 115
RE: HOI3 - 8/9/2009 1:06:23 PM   
Lützow

Well, Paradox recieves a lot of flak at the moment and I stopped playing till they fix the gamebreaking CG bug, hopefully on monday.

(in reply to Hertston)
Post #: 116
RE: HOI3 - 8/9/2009 1:22:05 PM   
Hard Sarge

LOL

oh well, I had it pre ordered, downloaded it when it came out, installed it, and clicked to start it up right before I left for work that night, to see if it worked right, it did, and haven't had time to even look at it since

(it looked pretty)

for this company, vs that company, or what have you, I think we all could point out good things and bad things that each or all of them do, now that said, I am bias towards Matrix, I like to think of a number of people here as friends, and as friends, they are more like fellow gamers then suits trying to pocket a buck

(in reply to Lützow)
Post #: 117
RE: HOI3 - 8/9/2009 1:56:44 PM   
SuluSea

quote:

If you have AE jjax, you can't possibly have enough time to play another game - especially as deep as the HoI series :D

Simply untrue, playing AE while learning the new features in the game and taking extra time to look around to familiarize myself with the new tools I also play 2 other games and will be buying Eagle Day the minute I see it's posted here . I suspect just like WITP come March '42 things will start to stabilize and most turns will be about 3-7 minutes.

"There’s no such thing as a bitter person who keeps the bitterness to himself.” ~ Erwin Lutzer

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 118
RE: HOI3 - 8/9/2009 3:14:26 PM   
LarryP

quote:

I have been playing AE, and when I bought HOI3 I asked myself "are you crazy man?!" Looking around for a few hours at HOI3, I don't know how I can play both at the same time and dedicate enough time to play them right. Of course, I am an old fart so the younger guys can probably do it in their sleep.

I wasn't going to buy HOI3. I was standing firm against it actually until the day it got released and I bought it without hesitation. I have many games from Paradox, about ten. Every one of them has gone through the patch cycle. When a game was buggy enough to be a game breaker for me, I would just set it aside and play something else until they patched it. And they always did which in the long run is what I thought mattered. Yeah it's irritating. The alternative is not playing their games though, and I've had too many hours of fun to stop.

< Message edited by LarryP -- 8/9/2009 3:26:26 PM >

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 119
RE: HOI3 - 8/9/2009 3:37:13 PM   
sullafelix

I have it and I'm quite pleased so far. Of course it is a Paradox title which means patching and mods will put it up to its full potential.

As far as the wargamer forums it is amazing to me that there have been no lawsuits.

Free speech is of course fine on the internet but threatening bodily harm and racist diatribes are not and you are " not " protected by the supposed anonymity of the net. It is a private forum but that does not wrap it in a cloak of say whatever you want.

I've never noticed that " in reply to " addition at the end of the post. My post was in reply to no one in particular and I can't seem to get rid of it.

< Message edited by sulla05 -- 8/9/2009 3:39:41 PM >

(in reply to LarryP)
Post #: 120
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: HOI3 Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI