Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: HOI3 - second patch

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: HOI3 - second patch Page: <<   < prev  7 8 [9] 10 11   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: HOI3 - second patch - 8/26/2009 1:52:19 AM   
Ron

quote:

ORIGINAL: balto

I ain't touching that until it gets a little better.., man, so many are pissed on that board.., unsure what is true and what is false.

I know that's the thing; I have been blissfully enjoying my time with HOI 3 and then go to their forum and wham! You would think the game was a complete fiasco lol. It seems to me the number one factor throwing a lot of people is this isn't HOI 2, in the sense that historically it ran on rails. With HOI 3 it is almost entirely freeform, which for me is a good thing. Yes I am sure things need to be adjusted and/or fixed, but so far for me it has been a hell of a game as Germany VH in the 36 GC. I am just mopping up Poland in late 39 and now have to drive the French back to the Maginot line, or perhaps let them come some more and then cut them off :) I didn't sign the MR pact with Russia so Poland is taking a little longer. I haven't experienced any slowdown and have let the AI handle my Armies for the most part, except for the PanzerArmee I created. Japan was pushed back to Korea but is now staging a huge comeback against CommunistChina, however CC has just now joined the Comintern. Very interesting developments to come I think...

(in reply to balto)
Post #: 241
RE: HOI3 - 8/26/2009 2:12:51 AM   
LarryP

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hard Sarge

save some money for next month

maybe

I have an open credit card for Matrix games. When I say I'm cooling it on the game buying, Matrix is not included in that statement.

(in reply to Hard Sarge)
Post #: 242
RE: HOI3 - 8/26/2009 5:05:38 AM   
bairdlander2

Im enjoying HOI3.Most of the rants and raves on the forum are toning down.Seems people are learning the game mechanics.There are a lot of bugs and AI is too easy.As germany in 36 scenario,managed to get most of Europe into Axis with the exception of France,UK and Poland.Most people it seems do not understand the importance of spies and diplomacy.Most "bugs' seem to be people simply not knowing the game and how it works.One example thats funny is people not understanding why most countries drift away from them when they DOW too much.Its a game of patience.Once the patch is released in a few weeks and game is polished i think it will become a classic.Not for the casual gamer though,pretty grognard.

(in reply to LarryP)
Post #: 243
RE: HOI3 - 8/26/2009 5:37:31 AM   
killroyishere

quote:

Most of the rants and raves on the forum are toning down.

Yeah mainly because Vulture and the other moderators are banning people left and right for the smallest of infractions. He banned one guy just for asking when the patch was going to be out. Just because there's a sticky doesn't mean everyone has read it or wants to read it. Never have liked the gestapo moderators at Paradox. And Vulture is just plain crazy mad with his attitude.
Another guy asked about why CK was still having to be played with the beta patch of last October and the moderator said he didn't have to answer that question. Never seen so many snobbish moderators in my life.
Paradox has always been well known for squelching negative postings especially when they hit on the truth of the matter. It's not like this hasn't happened before and many times. They will easily ban people and delete/remove threads in a heartbeat.

(in reply to bairdlander2)
Post #: 244
RE: HOI3 - 8/26/2009 5:42:19 AM   
Terminus

Well, bravo to them... They make bad games and ban people from their forums for asking when the next patch comes out. Bra-vo...

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

(in reply to killroyishere)
Post #: 245
RE: HOI3 - 8/26/2009 6:44:12 AM   
AttuWatcher

quote:

ORIGINAL: killroyishere

quote:

Yeah mainly because Vulture and the other moderators are banning people left and right for the smallest of infractions. He banned one guy just for asking when the patch was going to be out.

Ban them all and let god sort 'em out, that's what I always say.

Post #: 246
RE: HOI3 - 8/26/2009 8:08:13 AM   
doomtrader

The most funny thing is that when they ban you, you don't have access to tech support for your games.

(in reply to AttuWatcher)
Post #: 247
RE: HOI3 - 8/26/2009 4:19:26 PM   
Widell

OK, the PI bashing continue (even after Erik stated it wasn't...... suitable. Well, not my problem, luckily. And by that I mean both here and over at PI :-). After voicing my concerns "over there", I was contacted by PI directly and asked to help by testing some solutions to the quite serious "CTD when starting". Have been running a couple of tests and providing them with logs etc. Not so bad from a company that according to a few of the posts above <OK, bad case of generalizing coming up!> makes North Korea look like smooth democracy :-) <OK. Helmet, knee protection, gloves and protective eyewear on to cover myself from potential corrective spanking>

(in reply to doomtrader)
Post #: 248
RE: HOI3 - 8/26/2009 5:16:03 PM   
vonRocko

quote:

ORIGINAL: Widell

OK, the PI bashing continue (even after Erik stated it wasn't...... suitable. Well, not my problem, luckily. And by that I mean both here and over at PI :-). After voicing my concerns "over there", I was contacted by PI directly and asked to help by testing some solutions to the quite serious "CTD when starting". Have been running a couple of tests and providing them with logs etc. Not so bad from a company that according to a few of the posts above <OK, bad case of generalizing coming up!> makes North Korea look like smooth democracy :-) <OK. Helmet, knee protection, gloves and protective eyewear on to cover myself from potential corrective spanking>

That is great! Asking the customer to fix their problem. Why not have these "serious" issues working when they release the game?

(in reply to Widell)
Post #: 249
RE: HOI3 - 8/26/2009 6:15:42 PM   
Johan

quote:

ORIGINAL: vonRocko
That is great! Asking the customer to fix their problem. Why not have these "serious" issues working when they release the game?

I dunno.. when a customer report a problem with THEIR machine configuration it would be nice to help them with it maybe?

Last time I checked, each PC is different, and when you get a few hundred thousand customers you get quite a few setups which causes problems. Even if we went out and bought a completely identical PC from parts, it would not be guaranteed to be the same setup. To help a specific customer, it is better to give them a new executable to track down potential problems with.

(in reply to vonRocko)
Post #: 250
RE: HOI3 - 8/26/2009 7:51:14 PM   
Hertston

Methinks this thread has now seriously outlived it's usefulness.    

(in reply to Johan)
Post #: 251
RE: HOI3 - 8/26/2009 8:22:25 PM   
Erik Rutins

Ok guys, I have to agree that I think many of the posts in this thread are not constructive. If the bashing continues, this thread will be locked.

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Hertston)
Post #: 252
RE: HOI3 - 8/26/2009 8:28:32 PM   
Widell

quote:

quote:

Seriously? Tell me you are kidding right? It's me using english as a second language and fails to see the joke? Well, in case my english was not understandable: I did NOT say PI asked ME to fix THEIR problem. I offered to help in testing as I have a computer which, and this I fully agree with, SHOULD BE ABLE TO RUN THE GAME WHEN LAUNCHED (Sorry about the caps lock. Just want to make sure I highlight some key statements so they don't get lost along the way here). Now, obviously, this CTD issue was NOT resolved. I CANNOT "fix" that problem as I don't have access, nor skill, to the code. I can help with TESTING solutions as they had a problem reproducing the CTD. What's wrong with accepting such help? It utterly fails me how that can warrant a ridiculing comment? But then again, I may be misunderstanding your whole comment....

(in reply to vonRocko)
Post #: 253
RE: HOI3 - 8/26/2009 8:29:44 PM   
Widell

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hertston
Methinks this thread has now seriously outlived it's usefulness.    

+1 Well put Hertston....

(in reply to Hertston)
Post #: 254
RE: HOI3 - 8/27/2009 12:28:53 AM   
bairdlander2

quote:

ORIGINAL: killroyishere

quote:

Yeah mainly because Vulture and the other moderators are banning people left and right for the smallest of infractions. He banned one guy just for asking when the patch was going to be out. Just because there's a sticky doesn't mean everyone has read it or wants to read it. Never have liked the gestapo moderators at Paradox. And Vulture is just plain crazy mad with his attitude.
Another guy asked about why CK was still having to be played with the beta patch of last October and the moderator said he didn't have to answer that question. Never seen so many snobbish moderators in my life.
Paradox has always been well known for squelching negative postings especially when they hit on the truth of the matter. It's not like this hasn't happened before and many times. They will easily ban people and delete/remove threads in a heartbeat.

It actually works on an infraction system to get banned as well as some obvious rules(no bad mouthing people,threats etc).The posters are warned first(unless it is very serious) and given an infraction.I have one myself for calling someone a "whiner".Also people are warned to stop posting the same message over and over.If they ccontinue and get banned its their own fault.Can you share the link of the banned person asking when the patch will be released?Are you 100% sure that was the reason?Have you read all posts by this individual?Bottom line here is no game is released in a perfect state.They all have patches.I think for such an in depth,detailed ground breaking game,they did an excellent job.As for performance issues,some people have them others dont.My pc is barely the minimum specs and game runs a little slower than HOI2.I think a lot of this has been blown way out of proportion by a small minority determined to complain about anything and everything.Most of the posters complaining for some reason,dont have the game registered.That makes me think the copy they have is pirated and that could possibly be an explanation of their performance issues.Who knows.I dont.

Post #: 255
RE: HOI3 - 8/27/2009 1:47:15 AM   
06 Maestro

quote:

ORIGINAL: bairdlander
It actually works on an infraction system to get banned as well as some obvious rules(no bad mouthing people,threats etc).The posters are warned first(unless it is very serious) and given an infraction.I have one myself for calling someone a "whiner".Also people are warned to stop posting the same message over and over.If they ccontinue and get banned its their own fault.Can you share the link of the banned person asking when the patch will be released?Are you 100% sure that was the reason?Have you read all posts by this individual?Bottom line here is no game is released in a perfect state.They all have patches.I think for such an in depth,detailed ground breaking game,they did an excellent job.As for performance issues,some people have them others dont.My pc is barely the minimum specs and game runs a little slower than HOI2.I think a lot of this has been blown way out of proportion by a small minority determined to complain about anything and everything.Most of the posters complaining for some reason,dont have the game registered.That makes me think the copy they have is pirated and that could possibly be an explanation of their performance issues.Who knows.I dont.

This explains the situation fairly well. I have spent some hours at the PI forums recently and have read views from every angle. It seems rather clear that PI is not paranoid of customers complaints (some who have not registered the game yet-maybe don't have it??) I have followed several of the hot threads. It really does to seem like some actually want to be banned-maybe its a badge of honor for some.

It is entirely possible to be very negative about HoI3 and not be banned-all you have to do is avoid being rude. I did see one mod mention trolling for the reason for banning one individual. If that individuals last post is all you read, it might leave you wondering what Paradox Mod's are thinking. However, if you were following the hot threads for a while, you would see that particular individual was trolling. He got exactly what he was looking for.

PI's rules may be strick, but are easy for most to follow. I have had some differences in opinion with some there, but I have never even come close to getting a warning-it ain't rocket science.

As for the game, it is running rock solid for me, if a little slow and strange things with diplomacy. It will be a great game.

Banking establishments are more dangerous than standing armies.

Thomas Jefferson

Post #: 256
RE: HOI3 - 8/27/2009 2:21:20 PM   
vonRocko

quote:

After voicing my concerns "over there", I was contacted by PI directly and asked to help by testing some solutions to the quite serious "CTD when starting".

Widell, I apologise if I misunderstood. But you must admit,that sentence makes it sound like PI asked you to deal with that problem. My question is still valid,despite Johans' generic copout answer about different machines. Some companies do release functioning games,they just aren't one of them.

(in reply to Widell)
Post #: 257
RE: HOI3 - 8/31/2009 6:22:35 PM   
Widell

quote:

quote:

After voicing my concerns "over there", I was contacted by PI directly and asked to help by testing some solutions to the quite serious "CTD when starting".

Widell, I apologise if I misunderstood. But you must admit,that sentence makes it sound like PI asked you to deal with that problem. My question is still valid,despite Johans' generic copout answer about different machines. Some companies do release functioning games,they just aren't one of them.

As I said, it's most likely my poor english that made that come out differently. I do agree some companies make more consistent releases with fewer issues than others, but that was not my point. My point was that they were working very actively to bring the CTD issue to a closure, and myself as a customer reacted favorably to their response. Nothing more, nothing less....

(in reply to vonRocko)
Post #: 258
RE: HOI3 - 9/3/2009 3:47:14 PM   
Historiker

How do you handle the Consumer Goods production?
I always have to play in the production screen if I don't want to hand over the whole production to the AI. That can't be intended - and that's no fun, too!

The alternative is producting too much consumer goods for no benefit or producting too few which results in dissent...

Without any doubt: I am the spawn of evil - and the Bavarian Beer Monster (BBM)!

There's only one bad word and that's taxes. If any other word is good enough for sailors; it's good enough for you. - Ron Swanson

(in reply to Widell)
Post #: 259
RE: HOI3 - 9/3/2009 10:53:32 PM   
Feltan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Historiker

How do you handle the Consumer Goods production?
I always have to play in the production screen if I don't want to hand over the whole production to the AI. That can't be intended - and that's no fun, too!

The alternative is producting too much consumer goods for no benefit or producting too few which results in dissent...

Historiker,

I usually visit the production screen every few days - sooner if the dissent gets into the red. I tend to lock production sliders (right click on them) after giving each category a little surplus. I don't worry about being 100% efficient all the time.

With a little practice you can get good at anticipating problems. However, production is PART of the game -- you can't ignore it, and it does take some tending.

Regards,
Feltan

(in reply to Historiker)
Post #: 260
RE: HOI3 - 9/4/2009 12:36:14 AM   
bairdlander2

Good news patch 1.2 is out tomorrow.I retract most of what I said before.Basically was playing as Germany in 36 scenario.Everything was good,no lag,liked the new features etc etc.DOW the Allies and Poland in June 38.Take Poland and France(Vichy fires) in 3 weeks.Now it seems my divs in what became overnight Vichy France are frozen,cant move them and unsupplied.Major bug a game breaker for me,but the patch will be released tomorrow(or so Paradox says if testing goes well)and Im glad I have been learning the game and new features for preperation.

(in reply to Feltan)
Post #: 261
RE: HOI3 - 9/4/2009 10:53:32 PM   
Hard Sarge

for those that Care, 1.2 has been released for downloading

the change list is Huge, but kind of scary, as it looks like they repeat some of the fixes ?

but a lot of issues fixed

Post #: 262
RE: HOI3 - 9/4/2009 11:53:13 PM   
LarryP

This morning I downloaded it at an average of 10-15k a second! Average here is around 550-600k. And I waited for a couple hours after it was announced! People at the Paradox site said they were taking the day off to play. It's a big event.

(in reply to Hard Sarge)
Post #: 263
RE: HOI3 - 9/5/2009 1:47:20 AM   
bairdlander2

quote:

ORIGINAL: LarryP

This morning I downloaded it at an average of 10-15k a second! Average here is around 550-600k. And I waited for a couple hours after it was announced! People at the Paradox site said they were taking the day off to play. It's a big event.

I guess the server was busy,I downloaded after work and it took 5 minutes.No more lag in game(on high speed a day passes in approx 10 seconds).There have been a lot of fixes and bugs are gone.Also seems to be more historical.

(in reply to LarryP)
Post #: 264
RE: HOI3 - 9/5/2009 2:11:47 AM   
LarryP

Yeah I knew it would be busy for several hours, but I wanted to play it during lunch, so I got it when I did. So far it looks excellent, but I will know more soon, as I sit here on the couch with laptop ready to load her up!

Post #: 265
RE: HOI3 - 9/8/2009 5:07:27 AM   
Reiryc

Got the patch, but the game still slows down for me after playing for a few hours.  It gets to where scolling becomes very choppy and near unplayable.  I've tried the suggestions, turning off the water effects, going from 4 cores to just 1 core, etc, but it doesn't matter.

The game is fun at time, but also quite buggy.  I'm looking forward to a patch to resolve the slow, choppy scrolling after one plays for a couple hours among other issues.

(in reply to LarryP)
Post #: 266
RE: HOI3 - 9/13/2009 1:48:58 AM   
Obsolete

Alright, I've been putting off HoI for YEARS now.  I decided to FINALLY give the HoI III demo a trial.  Well, unfortunately, I am totally lost by the tutorial.  Perhaps this was not created for those with no experience?  Second of all, I then find out from others that 4 months is not enough time to even get to use most the options anyhow... so much for the demo.

Then I find out my super-duper new computer LAGGS greatly with this product.  But the fact is.... even if I try to put in an effort here I am just lost.

Looking at this video... I THINK he's hit things right on the head, or am I wrong?  The fact that he found the tutorial useless, and he's a HoI II player doesn't give me much hope.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DxwHk92Mj4s

King-Tigers don't let Tiger-I's get over-run.

(in reply to Reiryc)
Post #: 267
RE: HOI3 - 9/13/2009 2:12:56 AM   
killroyishere

Welcome to the world of Paradox games Obsolete. You'll learn as many of us have that waiting a long while after a Paradox release is the best policy. I haven't bought a new Paradox release since HOI's first game. I have them all and they all work great, but, none of them worked great or really any good out of the box. You'll also save a lot of money by waiting. Most of their titles go below $20 in their first year of release. Victoria went to ninety nine cents within two weeks of release it was so bad. Well, it really wasn't that bad it was just that so many players just didn't understand how to play it and the manual instructions were really lame and the whole game was unintuitive.

(in reply to Obsolete)
Post #: 268
RE: HOI3 - 9/13/2009 7:00:46 AM   
06 Maestro

quote:

ORIGINAL: Obsolete

Then I find out my super-duper new computer LAGGS greatly with this product.  But the fact is.... even if I try to put in an effort here I am just lost.

The demo would be enough for a veteran HoI player to see some of the new attributes of the game, but still not enough to actually learn it. It is very different from the older titles. I have hundreds of hours wrapped up in HoI 2DD/Arma, and have struggled to make sense of parts of this new game. After about another six hours of playing today I'm getting the hang of it.

The simple truth is the game is not simple. It will take some time to master. In each sitting with it I find something else actually works which I had previously thought was "fubar". Some difficulties that many are having could have been avoided with a better tutorial. The UI leaves something to be desired, but is workable. One thing for sure; HoI2 was easier to operate.

Even with the bugs and oddities, HoI3 is a fantastic piece of work. It is not a bad idea to wait for another patch-just in case you are one of the unlucky ones to have stability problems with the game. However, if you have the time and patience to learn a somewhat complicated game, HoI3 is quite playable and enjoyable in its present state. I have had a blast with it this evening and would play until 2am if I could-but I have to be at work at 0800 so that's not an option-tonight.

Banking establishments are more dangerous than standing armies.

Thomas Jefferson

(in reply to Obsolete)
Post #: 269
RE: HOI3 - 9/13/2009 3:06:50 PM   
LarryP

With being able to turn all the managing to AI, I've been able to learn the game better. I then turned each one off at a time and played with managing each singly myself. I still haven't played with more than two on at a time though. I'm still learning. It is a busy game.

There are several hidden options to click, colored bars etc.. I wish Paradox would use some kind of an icon or symbol on these to show it's a click able item. I had to click on things to find these hidden items.

< Message edited by LarryP -- 9/13/2009 3:11:16 PM >

(in reply to 06 Maestro)
Post #: 270
Page:   <<   < prev  7 8 [9] 10 11   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: HOI3 - second patch Page: <<   < prev  7 8 [9] 10 11   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI