Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
- 6/10/2002 11:59:01 AM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

I haven't played Combat Mission, maybe my remarks are pointless. But looking at the comments on what makes it what it is.....

Cute has never been a selling point with me. Nifty 3d graphics are to me just a pointless use of computational power in my opinion.
The counter art in ASL is impressive, but in the end, all I need to know is, is it a tank or an artillery piece eh. So it stands to reason I think the images in Steel Panthers are first rate. But 3d, nah thats an unnecessary level of detail. If the 3d limits the scope of Combat Mission, then the trade off wasn't worth the eye candy gain.

I have seen one to many games unable to run on a decent computer, because the fools designing the game couldn't limit their attention to just making a good simulation.
A long time back I had Patton Strikes Back as a favourite game. But inbedded in it was all sorts of film clips. It really didn't do anything to make the game better. And it did make the computer work harder for nothing.
Even my favourite Operational Art of War insists on a 3d rendering in a separate window. This detail really accomplishes nothing though (other than requiring more computer power).

Wargames are about simulation admittedly. But unless the game is you driving a specific tank around (as if you were actually IN the tank), then 3d loses any real worth.

Of course there are those that crave eye candy and need an ever increasing dose of it. Those same people are the reason why most movies have grotesque levels of special effects with tiny pieces of acting (if acting at all) linking them together.

Today's hardware is getting more and more capable, but just being capable, does not automatically translate software bells into justifyable options.

I have not tried Combat Mission as yet, mainly because bells are not a selling point to me. Additionally, no matter how good a game might be, it can't always be made to do everything. That's primarily why I am not counted among the many that absolutely must see Matrix make a Steel Panthers version of every permutation of action or time period (including Modern).

I probably won't see anything wrong with the cd of Steel Panthers 2 I have sought out from the CD Access.com people.
But that is mainly because I don't have the passion needed to delve into the data I suppose. I usually only complain when a game does something clearly obnoxious in such a way that it spoils the fun somehow.
It won't be up to the standards of SPWaW, and it won't likely play nice with my primary OS (that being XP). So I will just install it in my secondary Win 98 OS (nothing like having your cake and eating it too).

If some day Matrix is done with Combat Leader, I will find it very peculiar to see them dust off the Steel Panthers code, just to rework a program, that is made to look like a waste of time by Combat Leader.

Sure I would like to find a mint copy of Basic Squad Leader. But as lovingly as I hold my first playings of that game, I have no interest in people making modules for it.
If Combat Leader succeeds (as it should). Odds are I will delete Steel Panthers off the drive, and settle for using it as a basis of fond memories.

I LIKE that my life bothers them,
Why should I be the only one bothered by it eh.

(in reply to MacCready)
Post #: 31
- 6/11/2002 1:32:57 PM   
Randy

I think as Paul has said, that CL will be a vast improvement over a SPWAW Modern. Now that work has begun on CL it would be I think, pointless to go back to SPWAW Modern. We can't have it all, so we should wait a while longer and get a superior product. I too wanted a modern SPWAW, but now that would be a duplication of effort for Matrix. Now we have to make sure that enough people buy CL. I'm sure Matrix will build an excellent game, but people need to buy it for Matrix to continue with all the modules. So, on my tank turret I'm painting "On to Combat Leader!"

Semper Fi
Randy

The United States Marines: America's 911 Force-The Tip of the Spear

(in reply to MacCready)
Post #: 32
- 6/12/2002 1:39:30 AM   
MacCready

Randy:

You do of course realize a while is about a year and a half.

Les:

I played the Combat Mission Demo,didn't like it.

It looks good,3d terrain and decent unit rendering,

But the user interface S**ks,and I couldn't exit the game without closing down windows..

(in reply to MacCready)
Post #: 33
- 6/12/2002 10:32:42 AM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

Hmmmm hostile sounding demo there Mac.

I once lost 20 bucks to a tech that had to rescue my system from an anal demo wargame that locked up my system in a way I had no skill in understanding eh.

Turn off the system and reboot and game loaded and locked right up each time too.

So naturally demo is a word that doesn't win any points with me.

Only software I use is the actual program or nothing at all in my case.

Demos seem to suffer from incredibly crappy quality control

I LIKE that my life bothers them,
Why should I be the only one bothered by it eh.

(in reply to MacCready)
Post #: 34
- 6/12/2002 11:40:43 AM   
Randy

MacCready, yeah I know. I wish the SPWAWM worked, but now with the work being focused for CL w/ its new game engine I don't think it would work for Matrix to split their efforts. I guess the poor sales of the Mega Campaigns didn't help either. Plus with all the new stuff that will be incorporated into CL I really think they would be duplicating their efforts. I really am looking forward to modern stuff (airmoble troops , C-130s and light armor, airborne and choppers, all that stuff), plus a larger map like SPWAW etc. But I'm looking forward to CL, and I know when it comes out it will be unsurpassed. As I said earlier, my tank turret reads "On to Combat Leader". I hope this helps.

Semper Fi
Randy

The United States Marines: America's 911 Force-The Tip of the Spear

(in reply to MacCready)
Post #: 35
- 6/13/2002 3:19:03 AM   
U235

The Steel Panthers series has had a long life. Can you recall any other entertainment software title that has enjoyed a career like this? Few, I'm sure. While I like antiques, let's more ahead. I'm ready for something new. I have my copies of SP1,2,3 and SPwaW if I want to revist my old friends. ;)

(in reply to MacCready)
Post #: 36
- 6/13/2002 6:19:56 AM   
MacCready

I'm ready to move on,but the SP collection of yours is incomplete.

A fantastic WW2 version (SPWAW) was created and the Modern era counterpart was forsaken...

I don't think I'll ever get over that.
I would have prefered that they never announced that they were going to do it.

Its going to be some time before we see any modern CL.*

SP:MBT Due to be released in two day (6/14/02)

While I'm sure I will enjoy this game,its not windows friendly.

And its a modified version of SP2,not SP3 like SPWAW.

SP3 is the better engine.
And SPWAW is even a better engine.(Thanks Matrix)

*In all fairness to Matrix I have a feeling that when I actually play Combat Leader:Eastern Front I will probably have a whole new perspective.

(in reply to MacCready)
Post #: 37
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI