Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Why is this game so expensive ?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: Why is this game so expensive ? Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Why is this game so expensive ? - 8/14/2009 5:53:26 PM   
Curty

I think that what you mean is that the game is extensive not expensive

(in reply to dsuday)
Post #: 61
RE: Why is this game so expensive ? - 8/14/2009 6:29:00 PM   
Buck Beach

quote:

ORIGINAL: Wahoo

Myself I would love to buy it, I'm a owner of Witp, but the price is still too steep for me, I got kids and stuff and with the economy, I can't justify the coin.  I'll just be satisfied with reading other peoples fun. 
I'll agree I've played Witp for YEARS, any other game....even HOI, gets old after a while and no longer gets the same support.  So if you can justify the cost in your world, buy it.

I know what you mean, but, if you are spending regularly for other non-essential items, you may have the sources to squirrel away the $70US to buy the digital only version. The discount for WITP owners won't last forever. Sooo, if you drink, smoke, fast food it, frequently go out, buy other less expensive games, (and gifts from others) etc etc etc, you might use some of those dollars to give yourself hundreds or thousands of hours of fun and education.

WHILE I AM WRITING THIS I JUST GOT MY DISK AND MANUAL. NOW I CAN LEARN HOW TO PLAY WITH OUT SITTING IN FRONT OF THE COMPUTER.

Back to the subject, if you don't have the means to personally sacrifice for the dollars ( and if mama doesn't buy those expensive beauty creams, etc) then I truly sympathize with you and enjoy the forum.

(in reply to Wahoo)
Post #: 62
RE: Why is this game so expensive ? - 8/14/2009 7:42:12 PM   
sdevault

This should put things into prospective...for most...

You see, liken this to a woman.

She has something you want (Witp), I mean, really, really, really want.... So you pay for it.
Then, her equally hot sister comes along (AE), she's younger, and she'll do things her sister would never do....

Now you gotta get some of that too.....You'll do anything to get it. You'll pay any price...Sell your soul even...

So, that should sum up (justify) the cost!

(in reply to Buck Beach)
Post #: 63
RE: Why is this game so expensive ? - 8/14/2009 9:19:17 PM   
Buck Beach

quote:

ORIGINAL: sdevault

She has something you want (Witp), I mean, really, really, really want.... So you pay for it.
Then, her equally hot sister comes along (AE), she's younger, and she'll do things her sister would never do....

Now you gotta get some of that too.....You'll do anything to get it. You'll pay any price...Sell your soul even...

I will definitely drink to that. That was s a real life scenario to me. The younger sister was a doll back in the day, but, what would she want with an old fart. AND, the woman I was/am married is a great lady that those of us that have horror stories to tell about a 1st wife, dreamed about.

(in reply to sdevault)
Post #: 64
RE: Why is this game so expensive ? - 8/16/2009 12:06:18 PM   
leehunt27@bloomberg.net

This game is of course well worth the money.  Best in depth wargame ever.  Just wanted to add my vote, i bought the new AE version right away. 

Basically in WITP, the strategy ultimately prevails.  A player can get lucky from time to time, but the better player generally wins too.  So its not "gamey" in the long run etc either.

John 21:25

(in reply to Buck Beach)
Post #: 65
RE: Why is this game so expensive ? - 8/16/2009 1:33:46 PM   
RevRick

quote:

ORIGINAL: Buck Beach

quote:

ORIGINAL: sdevault

I will definitely drink to that. That was s a real life scenario to me. The younger sister was a doll back in the day, but, what would she want with an old fart. AND, the woman I was/am married is a great lady that those of us that have horror stories to tell about a 1st wife, dreamed about.

Save the younger sister, Been there, done that, bought the Tee shirt, Burned it, buried the ashes in the back yard...

Go, for it, Buck. This will easily provide you with more bang for the penny than anything you have done save one I can think of, and I won't mention that here. That is the second most reverent subject!

"Action springs not from thought, but from a readiness for responsibility.” ― Dietrich Bonhoeffer

(in reply to Buck Beach)
Post #: 66
RE: Why is this game so expensive ? - 8/16/2009 2:13:21 PM   
Panzeh

There aren't that many folks willing to play monster games so you gotta get all the money you can.

(in reply to RevRick)
Post #: 67
RE: Why is this game so expensive ? - 8/16/2009 2:49:33 PM   
Cap Mandrake

You can buy a Bentley or you can by a Chrysler 300. From 200 yds away they look almost identical.

(in reply to Panzeh)
Post #: 68
RE: Why is this game so expensive ? - 8/16/2009 8:17:17 PM   
Talon_XBMCX

This game is good enough for me to insure I will always have an OS capable of playing it.

(in reply to Cap Mandrake)
Post #: 69
RE: Why is this game so expensive ? - 8/16/2009 8:44:22 PM   
thunar

The whole "3" series based on the EU3 engine (Rome, EU3, and now HOI3) really are kind of mediocre.

Paradox bent way backward to the "fantasists" and took out most of the historical scripts. I thought the old sliders were a great way to fine tune your nation. With 6 sliders you could really become a unique nation. Making it adjustable only every 10 years made it realistic, you can't completely transform a country's fundamental outlook and characteristics (Centralization v. Decentralized, Bourgheoisie vs. Nobility, Land vs. Sea outlook, etc.) over the course of a year or two. EU2 was a nice mix of the possible with reality. EU3 and now HOI3 are fantasy games that take place on a map of the Earth

I brought HOI3 and it's almost totally unplayable. I honestly don't think they had anybody test any of the major powers like Japan before they even issued it (ie spending 97% of your industry on consumer goods in a quasi-fascist nation while at Partial Mobilization, how could anybody have missed that if they playtested Japan even for 15 minutes?). The AI is appalling, like another poster said Switzerland joins the Allies and Finland invades Albania. That's what happens when you make it too much of a "What If" and not enough hardcoded scripts. The Chinese actually kick the Japanese off the mainland by 1939 (inc. Manchuria and Korea) in most games!!!

Lots of the flavor stuff, which added spice as well as realism was gone too. Like the Japanese had several good Heavy Industry Companies (Mitsubishi,etc.), but mediocre Nuclear Physics researchers. You COULD, as Japan, concentrate on a Mechanized Army or forgo Rocket/Jet Power for Nuclear Weapons, but it was harder and cost you in other areas.

Hopefully EU4 will have a much better engine.

< Message edited by thunar -- 8/16/2009 8:46:26 PM >

(in reply to dsuday)
Post #: 70
RE: Why is this game so expensive ? - 8/17/2009 1:19:33 PM   
Kumppi

Thunar: Have you tried playing EU3 with the Magna Mundi Platinum mod? I haven't touched vanilla EU3 after that. Great game.

(in reply to thunar)
Post #: 71
RE: Why is this game so expensive ? - 8/17/2009 1:51:45 PM   
Templer_12

It´s not!

You pay for what you get - for what you get, you spend less money!

(in reply to Wahoo)
Post #: 72
RE: Why is this game so expensive ? - 8/17/2009 3:11:04 PM   
LarryP

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kumppi

Thunar: Have you tried playing EU3 with the Magna Mundi Platinum mod? I haven't touched vanilla EU3 after that. Great game.

Magna Mundi made EU3. Excellent expansion and they are working on the next one too.

(in reply to Kumppi)
Post #: 73
RE: Why is this game so expensive ? - 8/17/2009 3:12:52 PM   
ltfightr

I have bought Pacwar,UV,WITP and now AE. I will echo what everyone else is saying I have bought many games that have not lasted a month on my computer these are the rare exceptions that have stayed year after year.

(in reply to Templer_12)
Post #: 74
RE: Why is this game so expensive ? - 8/18/2009 2:15:40 AM   
Fishbed

quote:

ORIGINAL: LarryP

quote:

Magna Mundi made EU3. Excellent expansion and they are working on the next one too.

?
Magna Mundi is a mod, not an expansion, is it?

(in reply to LarryP)
Post #: 75
RE: Why is this game so expensive ? - 8/18/2009 2:16:29 AM   
tigercub

quote:

ORIGINAL: Curty

I think that what you mean is that the game is extensive not expensive

100% right!!

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life

(in reply to Curty)
Post #: 76
RE: Why is this game so expensive ? - 8/18/2009 2:27:45 AM   
LarryP

quote:

ORIGINAL: Fishbed

quote:

quote:

?

I suppose you're correct. It's big enough to me to be an expansion though, but they do call it a mod. Sorry for using the wrong word.

(in reply to Fishbed)
Post #: 77
RE: Why is this game so expensive ? - 9/3/2009 5:41:23 AM   
brisd

The question is not Why is this game so expensive as is IS it worth the price? Well, those of you who bit and have been playing a month now, is it that much better than WITP? Are you happy customers? I have owned WITP for five years and never played a full campaign game, just takes too frigging long (I wanted a more strategic, less tactical game of the PacWar). I also bought HOI3 and it is a mess but I think I can finish it in this lifetime once it has been patched 3 or 4 times. So I have a few more weeks until my promo code expires, confince me this game is the 2nd coming...

"I propose to fight it out on this line if it takes all summer."-Note sent with Congressman Washburne from Spotsylvania, May 11, 1864, to General Halleck. - General Ulysses S. Grant

(in reply to LarryP)
Post #: 78
RE: Why is this game so expensive ? - 9/3/2009 9:07:24 AM   
Valgua

quote:

The question is not Why is this game so expensive as is IS it worth the price? Well, those of you who bit and have been playing a month now, is it that much better than WITP? Are you happy customers? I have owned WITP for five years and never played a full campaign game, just takes too frigging long (I wanted a more strategic, less tactical game of the PacWar). I also bought HOI3 and it is a mess but I think I can finish it in this lifetime once it has been patched 3 or 4 times. So I have a few more weeks until my promo code expires, confince me this game is the 2nd coming...

Well, perhaps it is not the second coming for you. Gaming is a matter of taste. Perhaps you dislike heavy micromanagement and games that go on for years. I enjoy both. I prefer AE over WitP because it handles many aspects of the war much more realistically (take the repair system or the production model, for instance). WitP AE is like a very good wine that you sip slowly, enjoying all nuances. It makes me experience many of the difficult choices faced by commanders in the pacific. I am also investing a lot of money on books and documentaries just to immerse myself in the historical context. So AE is for me not just another wargame, but a hobby in itself. I enjoy it so much that I like it even when I lose. In a Guadalcanal game my but has been handed to me. I realize now how many stupid mistakes I made and I take joy in having learned important lessons.
That said, AE could very well not be your cup of tea. Perhaps you want (legitimately) to have immediate satisfaction. Perhaps you prefer games where missing a minuscule detail in the manual does not automatically lead to disaster. Perhaps you don't want to dwell with the search arcs for all your CVs. If this is the case WitP AE is not for you and you would be better off with something else.

< Message edited by Valgua -- 9/3/2009 9:08:19 AM >

(in reply to brisd)
Post #: 79
RE: Why is this game so expensive ? - 9/3/2009 9:16:12 AM   
sval062

quote:

ORIGINAL: Valgua
...WitP AE is like a very good wine that you sip slowly, enjoying all nuances.

... And sometimes nuisances

(in reply to Valgua)
Post #: 80
RE: Why is this game so expensive ? - 9/3/2009 10:46:21 AM   
DarkestHour

Expensive? I thought it was cheap and didn't want to raise the matter in case they corrected the ridiculously low price. Great game. Played WITP since it came out as allies vs ai jap. Cut short my first jap player vs allied ai (2jan42). My invasion of India was underway, most of the DEI,PI(except Bataan),Noumea,Suva,Pago,Canton,Wake,Johnson,Midway ... were ijn property. China had lost Yenen and the remaining oil fields were soon to fall. All that in < mth so I was happy to see AE come out.

The first turn is a real time killer, but once you've saved a copy for future games, other turns are of reasonable duration. To ease newbies into the game it might be nice to have a professional first turn either side as a starting point. I'd examine such a thing to see how it differed from my own, but who is willing to spill all their best kept secrets? 

(in reply to sval062)
Post #: 81
RE: Why is this game so expensive ? - 9/3/2009 11:15:35 AM   
Fishbed

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Fishbed

quote:

quote:

?

I suppose you're correct. It's big enough to me to be an expansion though, but they do call it a mod. Sorry for using the wrong word.

Nevermind, I thought you meant by "expansion" that MM was a business product instead of a third-party work

(in reply to LarryP)
Post #: 82
RE: Why is this game so expensive ? - 9/3/2009 12:52:54 PM   
m10bob

Those of us who have played its' ancestors know this game will equate to a few pennies per day in gaming. It is that much fun to play.

(in reply to Fishbed)
Post #: 83
RE: Why is this game so expensive ? - 9/3/2009 1:32:38 PM   
jhdeerslayer

Considering the hours I have played, and time thinking about it when I am not, cheapest game I have ever bought. When I get divorced over it, then it will seem expensive.

(in reply to m10bob)
Post #: 84
RE: Why is this game so expensive ? - 9/3/2009 1:37:23 PM   
morganbj

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deerslayer

Considering the hours I have played, and time thinking about it when I am not, cheapest game I have ever bought. When I get divorced over it, then it will seem expensive.

Or, maybe not.

(in reply to jhdeerslayer)
Post #: 85
RE: Why is this game so expensive ? - 9/3/2009 1:44:07 PM   
P.Hausser

Take into consideration that it is 4 years of dynamic entertainment, the price is very low..

(in reply to morganbj)
Post #: 86
RE: Why is this game so expensive ? - 9/3/2009 1:48:27 PM   
Tone

Five years if you are playing against a Japanese of my ability.

Both the victor
and the vanquished are
but drops of dew,
but bolts of lightning -
thus should we view the world.
Ôuchi Yoshitaka
1507-1551

(in reply to P.Hausser)
Post #: 87
RE: Why is this game so expensive ? - 9/3/2009 2:39:30 PM   
Marty A

quote:

ORIGINAL: brisd

Was this game not developed by unpaid volanteers for the most part tho? hard to imagine there costs justified the price. they charge it because they can most likely.

(in reply to brisd)
Post #: 88
RE: Why is this game so expensive ? - 9/3/2009 2:42:08 PM   
John Lansford

I have bought nearly every naval wargame that ever existed, from the old Harpoon series to the Battlecruiser/Warship games, to Bismarck, then Carrier War, PacWar, UV, WitP and now AE.  I bought other wargames too; 3rd Reich, operational level games, tactical games, strategic games.  I've got wargames that I played once and left on the shelf, others that I played for a while and then got tired of.  AE, though, is BY FAR the best strategic level simulation of the Pacific War that is out there now and probably in the future as well.  I will be playing this game years from now, just like I did PacWar and WitP.  For the money you spend now, if you consider how much you'll play it and the enjoyment you get from it, the cost/hour will be very, very low. 

If you can't afford it right now, put it out there among your family/friends that this would make a great birthday/Christmas/whenever gift and try and get it that way.  If you like detailed strategy games with a heaping helping of operational tactics and doctrine mixed in, this game is for you.

(in reply to Tone)
Post #: 89
RE: Why is this game so expensive ? - 9/3/2009 6:38:53 PM   
Cap Mandrake

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Curty)
Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: Why is this game so expensive ? Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI