Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: European Diplomacy v2 AI+

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Advanced Tactics Series >> After Action Reports >> RE: European Diplomacy v2 AI+ Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: European Diplomacy v2 AI+ - 9/1/2009 11:28:17 PM   
HamburgerHill

Here's the whole map at start of turn 14.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to HamburgerHill)
Post #: 61
RE: European Diplomacy v2 AI+ - 9/2/2009 12:52:25 AM   
HamburgerHill

Here is the situation at the end of turn 14.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 62
RE: European Diplomacy v2 AI+ - 9/2/2009 1:06:45 AM   
HamburgerHill

Situation at start of turn 15.

There was heavy fighting on the Italian border in the North and the Turkish border in the south. Most of the casualities sustained on the AI's turn were from fighting on those 2 borders. 

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by HamburgerHill -- 9/2/2009 1:07:40 AM >

Post #: 63
RE: European Diplomacy v2 AI+ - 9/4/2009 7:19:17 AM   
HamburgerHill

Round 5 has been a busy turn.

In the North the Balkin Army has begun its invasion of Italy and Germany. Also Balkin high command has ordered the creation of a new Western Army charged with the task of invading Italy.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by HamburgerHill -- 9/4/2009 7:23:59 AM >

Post #: 64
RE: European Diplomacy v2 AI+ - 9/4/2009 7:32:13 AM   
HamburgerHill

The EAG has begun pushing back the Soviet army.

The first objective will be to push the Soviets back behind the river and then plan an attack for capturing Kiev.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 65
RE: European Diplomacy v2 AI+ - 9/4/2009 7:40:43 AM   
HamburgerHill

In the South the SAG will have the task of holding back the Turkish armies until I fell they are strong enough for a full scale invasion of Turkey. Although the Turks are sending very powerful armies at my lines I keep them in check with massive bombardments from Artillery and Naval fire as well as air strikes.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 66
RE: European Diplomacy v2 AI+ - 9/4/2009 7:43:17 AM   
HamburgerHill

Heres the big picture.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 67
RE: European Diplomacy v2 AI+ - 9/4/2009 3:24:56 PM   
Joshuatree

First thing I would do in the South... when you are strong enough, is open your frontline. That way the AI forces will cross the river, if you then have some armour or AT troops stationed there, he will most likely not attack you the first turn... giving you enough time to use your Artillery and Airforce, and then use an encirclement to destroy his units. That way he will not have beaten units, he won't have much units left at all.

Post #: 68
RE: European Diplomacy v2 AI+ - 9/4/2009 9:55:50 PM   
HamburgerHill

I expect it will be 3 or 4 turns before I start looking at any serous plans for the invasion of Turkey.

Joshuatree has given me some ideas. Another possibility I have come up with after considering Joshuetree's withdrawal and incircle idea is to advance and encircle.

I would breakthrough in the North and proceed South meeting another Balkin invasion force that will take the port city of Izmir and proceed North cutting off Turkish forces using a Pincer move.

Of course these units will need to be constructed first.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Joshuatree)
Post #: 69
RE: European Diplomacy v2 AI+ - 9/4/2009 10:00:37 PM   
HamburgerHill

Here is the situation at the start of round 16.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 70
RE: European Diplomacy v2 AI+ - 9/5/2009 5:32:33 AM   
Jeffrey H.

I'm enjoying this AAR very much. Thanks for the effort so far.

History began July 4th, 1776. Anything before that was a mistake.

Ron Swanson

Post #: 71
RE: European Diplomacy v2 AI+ - 9/5/2009 11:54:38 AM   
Barthheart

Great AAR. Good work.

Watch out for Sweden though.They already have 2 capitols, Stockholm and Berlin, and they lokk close to getting Moscow. They will have huge production if that happens.

Good luck.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body,
but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"

(in reply to Jeffrey H.)
Post #: 72
RE: European Diplomacy v2 AI+ - 9/5/2009 2:08:20 PM   
Joshuatree

quote:

ORIGINAL: HamburgerHill

I expect it will be 3 or 4 turns before I start looking at any serous plans for the invasion of Turkey.

Joshuatree has given me some ideas. Another possibility I have come up with after considering Joshuetree's withdrawal and incircle idea is to advance and encircle.

I would breakthrough in the North and proceed South meeting another Balkin invasion force that will take the port city of Izmir and proceed North cutting off Turkish forces using a Pincer move.

Of course these units will need to be constructed first.

Depends. If you're considering an attack in the North you're facing a direct frontal assault across a river (you can't build a bridge there yet)... that would mean a massive artillery attack followed by bombers... and *then* you're only allowed to attack with a max. of 100 points without a stacking penalty.
The problem with AI+ is that it invests heavily in amour and heavy armour, so you're already facing Tank destroyers III and Heavy Tanks II :-( and they are tough nuts to crack without bombers ( look at those 10 Flak III) or a multi angled attack. So facing this kind of amour at that particular place I would still either lure them in and cut them off, or build a bridge across that southern river and do a small encirclement. Because after all, when you try to encircle him, the AI can also encircle you if you're not carefull.
The coastal city you mentioned may also be full of units, meaning it's likely very hard to conquer. 200 Staff for instance pose a significant unit to beat I've discovered, when holed up in a city :-)

Post #: 73
RE: European Diplomacy v2 AI+ - 9/6/2009 12:45:06 PM   
HamburgerHill

Hey thanks guys. Glad to see someone is watching.

(in reply to Joshuatree)
Post #: 74
RE: European Diplomacy v2 AI+ - 9/6/2009 10:47:25 PM   
HamburgerHill

Turkish AA fire is starting to get pretty heavy now and has just about shut down my air operations over Turkey.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 75
RE: European Diplomacy v2 AI+ - 9/6/2009 10:51:55 PM   
HamburgerHill

After that licken I decided to do a little air recon over Turkey and see how bad the AA was.

On top of the 2 large AA units there are AA gun formations located within the individual armor units as well.
This recon came at a price. I lost 4 or 5 more fighters doing it. The AA is everywhere.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 76
RE: European Diplomacy v2 AI+ - 9/6/2009 11:26:50 PM   
HamburgerHill

Here is the situation report for the end of round 16.

Fighting was pretty heavy and my advance moved slowly up North. In the east Balkin forces made good progress against the Soviets and actually had to slow up there advance for fear of moving out of fighter protection. Next turn I will build new forward air bases in order to keep up with my advancing armies.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by HamburgerHill -- 9/6/2009 11:28:39 PM >

Post #: 77
RE: European Diplomacy v2 AI+ - 9/6/2009 11:37:14 PM   
HamburgerHill

Here is the situation report for the start of round 17.

Scandanavia is nearly at my doorstep now since they have captured Prague from Germany.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 78
RE: European Diplomacy v2 AI+ - 9/6/2009 11:48:14 PM   
HamburgerHill

Heres the big picture.

I think Bartheart's warning about Scandanavia is wise. Scandanavia has a commanding lead in this game so far.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 79
RE: European Diplomacy v2 AI+ - 9/7/2009 10:16:53 AM   
Joshuatree

21 Flak III, they have a range of ... two, I think. Meaning every airattack is facing an incredible amount of Flak. If I were you I'd concentrate on building Artillery now and give the Flyboys a rest. Art. needs less fuel and kills Flak easily.

Post #: 80
RE: European Diplomacy v2 AI+ - 9/8/2009 8:20:21 PM   
Jeffrey H.

Maybe an amphibious op against the Turks opposite Athens ? Flank the buggers and steamroll the AAA with armor !

Ron Swanson

(in reply to Joshuatree)
Post #: 81
RE: European Diplomacy v2 AI+ - 9/9/2009 8:47:35 PM   
HamburgerHill

@joshuatree- Yeah, I plan to call off all offensive air operation against turks until the skies are a little less dangerous. I'm sending my Tac's to another front and I'll keep a fighter group down there just for protection. More Arty is just what the doctor ordered I think.

@Jeffrey- I am giving a lot of consideration to some type of amphibious operation into there rear. Although I'm not ready yet for an attack on the Turks, I have constructed a large fleet of transports just for such an attack.

I'll Be posting more turns tommorow since I'm off work. I'm actually having a lot of fun with this scenario but some days my time is limited with work and my ongoing WAW game with Appren. Appren is very prompt with his turns and I like to send him at least 1 turn a day and more if I can to return the favor so to speak.

Thanx for all the input guys. More turns coming soon.

(in reply to Jeffrey H.)
Post #: 82
RE: European Diplomacy v2 AI+ - 9/9/2009 9:01:08 PM   
british exil

Hamburger a real amp landing like overlord or planned like Op Sealöwe?

Wouldn't it be easier to build a line of Art, fall back let the turks come blast them with Art fire then cut them off with mobile units? As Josuhatree mentioned. Once you can cut them off, they will be easy prey for your other units. And the door to the interior of Turkey is open-- more pp's for you.

I mean you've got Scandinavia knocking on your frontdoor soon, nothing can seem to stop them. The Russians may be falling back a bit but they will benefit when you have 3 -4 nations attacking you.

You've gotta kill the Turk before he can harm you more. An Amp landing costs tons of pp's for your transport ships and maybe a bit of airborne thrown in to protect your beachhead.

"It is not enough to expect a man to pay for the best, you must also give him what he pays for." Alfred Dunhill

WitE,UV,AT,ATG,FoF,FPCRS

Post #: 83
RE: European Diplomacy v2 AI+ - 9/10/2009 3:49:41 PM   
Joshuatree

>>Wouldn't it be easier to build a line of Art, fall back let the turks come blast them with Art fire then cut them off with mobile units? As Josuhatree mentioned. Once you can cut them off, they will be easy prey for your other units. And the door to the interior of Turkey is open-- more pp's for you. <<

Yes that's what I would do in this case. The AI doesn't "see" a trap, nor will it hold reserves ready. I mean your fighters are grounded because of the Flak, and "steamrolling" Heavy Tanks II and Tank Destroyers III (!) is easier said than done. So let them come, cut them off with some AT gun units (lvl II or more I'd say) and shell away with your Art. I think I'd fall back as far as the hills just south of your frontline airbase. With a six sided attack you get 200% bonus . Meanwhile you have to have your engineers ready because you need a bridge over that river yesterday, combined with an amphibious landing.... hmm, just maybe not all hope is lost.

(in reply to british exil)
Post #: 84
RE: European Diplomacy v2 AI+ - 9/10/2009 7:31:02 PM   
Jeffrey H.

...could be a very long game....

Ron Swanson

(in reply to Joshuatree)
Post #: 85
RE: European Diplomacy v2 AI+ - 9/10/2009 7:46:44 PM   
british exil

HamburgerHill

You've just got listen to your staff here!! Jeffrey H and Joshuatree have come up with the solution to your southern Front.

Don't be like Adolf and not be willing to trade ground.For a decisive battle you need to dictate the terrain.

Build up your Art.in the second line. Front line be Inf and AT guns maybe bazooka's to save expenses. Let the turkish Armour roll into the death trap and hail death upon them.

As Joshuatree said a 6 sided!! battle will wipe out those big tanks.

The Amp Landings would divert some of the Turkish Army, but you'll want to get as much as possible in the killingfields.

Otherwise you are going to waste away your southern Army on those Turkish tanks and it will take a while before SAG will be fit for battle. And you need to be building EAG and WAG maybe NAG to go up against Scandinavia.
Every turn you lose is a turn that the enemy gets stronger.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by british exil -- 9/10/2009 7:50:18 PM >

"It is not enough to expect a man to pay for the best, you must also give him what he pays for." Alfred Dunhill

WitE,UV,AT,ATG,FoF,FPCRS

(in reply to Joshuatree)
Post #: 86
RE: European Diplomacy v2 AI+ - 9/11/2009 4:46:05 PM   
HamburgerHill

Alright. I'm sold.

It will be maybe 2 more turns the I will be able to shift some production South.

I will construct a couple of units stacked with AT's and bazookas to help the rest of the SAG wipe out all that Heavy Armor the Turks have. I will withdrawal back and form a ring of deadly fire.
Since I have the cargo ships already I am favoring a counter attack on the 2 port cities supported by heavy Naval fire to close the trap and cut off hopefully the Bulk of the Turkish forces inside the death zone.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to british exil)
Post #: 87
RE: European Diplomacy v2 AI+ - 9/11/2009 5:12:54 PM   
HamburgerHill

Here is the situation at the start of round 18.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 88
RE: European Diplomacy v2 AI+ - 9/11/2009 5:46:42 PM   
HamburgerHill

Balkin NAG forces pound the Italian forces in Vienna with Artillery and Air strikes then surround the city before an assualt is attempted.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 89
RE: European Diplomacy v2 AI+ - 9/11/2009 5:52:55 PM   
HamburgerHill

Italian forces are massacred in Vienna!

The city is taken with minimal losses to the NAG.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Advanced Tactics Series >> After Action Reports >> RE: European Diplomacy v2 AI+ Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI