Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: War in the East Q&A

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> RE: War in the East Q&A Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: War in the East Q&A - 9/3/2009 1:41:56 PM   
jaw

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sentinel Six

Forgive me if these questions have already been asked elsewhere as I've only just discovered this thread.

1. Can a player control production, if so how long does it take to retool a factory?

2. Can a player bring forward the in service date of equipment by R&D?

3. When a unit's equipment is upgraded does it effect its experience or readiness. Can a unit train to work up its efficiency with the new weapon system.

Forget everything you knew about production from playing WAR IN RUSSIA, not only is the production system (actually I would describe it as a replacement system) completely computer controlled but there is no concept such as retooling a factory in the game. A factory can be producing one type of aircraft or AFV one month and switch to producing another type the next month with no impact on output by the switchover per se. Factories exist merely to regulate overall production.

Replacements in general, whether of new equipment or old, will impact experience.

(in reply to Sentinel Six)
Post #: 31
RE: War in the East Q&A - 9/3/2009 1:51:30 PM   
jaw

quote:

ORIGINAL: Iñaki Harrizabalagatar

Hi
I am very much interested on this game.
I wonder, about units that a retired from the front historically to come back later.
Let´s imgaine the unit has been destroyed during the game, will it come back anyway?
I guess this could open a window to some gamey play, for instance I know one of my units will be retreated to come back later at full strength, so in the meantime I use it as a suicide unit, has this been taken into consideration?

Gary has already thought of that one. Units slated for withdrawal must be at a specified strength or they will remain frozen on the map until they reach that strength. If a unit slated for withdrawal is completely destroyed before its withdrawal date it would be returned to the map as a cadre and sit frozen until it rebuilt enough to withdraw.

(in reply to Iñaki Harrizabalagatar)
Post #: 32
RE: War in the East Q&A - 9/3/2009 2:06:31 PM   
Iñaki Harrizabalagatar

Thanks for the answer, looks a good solution
Another question, what about Soviet Tank Corps and Mech Corps, how are they represented, ax single units or as agregate of several units?

(in reply to jaw)
Post #: 33
RE: War in the East Q&A - 9/3/2009 2:52:28 PM   
jaw

quote:

Thanks for the answer, looks a good solution
Another question, what about Soviet Tank Corps and Mech Corps, how are they represented, ax single units or as agregate of several units?

Tank and Mechanized corps are "built" by combining tank and mechanized/motorized brigades. You can also break them back down into brigades.

The major difference between tank & mechanized corps versus rifle and cavalry corps is that that tank/mech corps have unique TOEs they follow while rifle/cavalry corps are simply the sum of three divisions. Therefore while you can form a tank corps from three tank brigades, the TOE of a tank corps is not the same as the TOE of a tank brigade times three (i.e. tank corps contain combat elements not found in tank brigades).

Post #: 34
RE: War in the East Q&A - 9/3/2009 4:12:38 PM   
Sentinel Six

Thanks for your quick answers.

Glad to see that new equipment effects experience. Pity the player can't tweak production but such is war.

(in reply to jaw)
Post #: 35
RE: War in the East Q&A - 9/3/2009 6:33:32 PM   
Iron Duke

Do the minor Axis countries switch sides if Germany is loosing the war ?

If they do what causes them to switch ?

"Bombers outpacing fighters - you've got to bloody well laugh!" Australian Buffalo pilot - Singapore

(in reply to jaw)
Post #: 36
RE: War in the East Q&A - 9/3/2009 7:31:37 PM   
Sentinel Six

How are partisans represented?

(in reply to Iron Duke)
Post #: 37
RE: War in the East Q&A - 9/4/2009 12:20:04 AM   
jaw

quote:

ORIGINAL: Iron Duke

Do the minor Axis countries switch sides if Germany is loosing the war ?

If they do what causes them to switch ?

Currently no, Italy withdraws in 1943, Slovakia withdraws in 1944 and the rest eventually surrender.

(in reply to Iron Duke)
Post #: 38
RE: War in the East Q&A - 9/4/2009 12:40:20 AM   
jaw

quote:

Partisan units can be either inactive (invisible to the Axis player) or active (visible to the Axis player). Inactive partisan units can neither attack or be attacked. Once an inactive partisan unit has grown to sufficient size, improved its morale, and accumulated enought supplies (automatically air dropped to it every turn) the unit will become active. Active partisan units attack Axis rail lines in an attempt to damage them to disrupt the flow of supplies and troops. Axis units attack active partisan units by moving adjacent to them which causes the partisan unit to re-locate to another hex and automatically become inactive again.

Post #: 39
RE: War in the East Q&A - 9/4/2009 4:27:15 AM   
Jeffrey H.

Ok, lets cover supply and interdiction of supply. Please describe the supply methodology in general and factors that influence the supply status of a unit.

History began July 4th, 1776. Anything before that was a mistake.

Ron Swanson

(in reply to jaw)
Post #: 40
RE: War in the East Q&A - 9/4/2009 9:46:58 AM   
Iñaki Harrizabalagatar

Is there a morale factor in the game, either national morale or unit´s fighting morale?

(in reply to Jeffrey H.)
Post #: 41
RE: War in the East Q&A - 9/4/2009 11:16:56 AM   
Walloc

quote:

ORIGINAL: jaw

No combat units (units that appear on the map) are smaller than a regiment. Units which upgrade to a larger formation or any unit understrength which receives replacement will take a hit to their experience ratings.

How if at all are independent batalions represented?
Tiger btl's, Sturm Abt.(stug btl's) all the different Pz Jgd Abt's. In essence if not so in name the independent russian tank bde had around the same number of tanks as german independent btl's.

Kind regards,

Rasmus

(in reply to jaw)
Post #: 42
RE: War in the East Q&A - 9/4/2009 1:23:46 PM   
Sentinel Six

quote:

quote:

Partisan units can be either inactive (invisible to the Axis player) or active (visible to the Axis player). Inactive partisan units can neither attack or be attacked. Once an inactive partisan unit has grown to sufficient size, improved its morale, and accumulated enought supplies (automatically air dropped to it every turn) the unit will become active. Active partisan units attack Axis rail lines in an attempt to damage them to disrupt the flow of supplies and troops. Axis units attack active partisan units by moving adjacent to them which causes the partisan unit to re-locate to another hex and automatically become inactive again.

Thanks for the answer.

Is there a chance that an active partisan cell can be completely wiped out or will they always relocate and rebuild?

Does Axis activity (transiting units, security sweeps etc) in the area of an inactive cell effect the rate at which the cell becomes operational?

(in reply to jaw)
Post #: 43
RE: War in the East Q&A - 9/4/2009 2:26:12 PM   
Muzrub

Thanks for answering my earlier questions,

Here's another- I would imagine that the Warsaw Uprising would be represented somehow in the game.
Would the trigger for this event be based on historical time-line, or the proximity of the Russian forces?

Seeing as the trigger for the event was partly based on proximity historically- how would the game deal with that?

Cheers
jamie

Harmlessly passing your time in the grassland away;
Only dimly aware of a certain unease in the air.
You better watch out,
There may be dogs about
I've looked over Iraq, and i have seen
Things are not what they seem.

Matrix Axis of Evil

Post #: 44
RE: War in the East Q&A - 9/4/2009 6:54:40 PM   
jaw

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jeffrey H.

Ok, lets cover supply and interdiction of supply. Please describe the supply methodology in general and factors that influence the supply status of a unit.

Supply in WitE is a very complicated and involved process that would take pages to describe in detail so I will just give you the gist of it here.

There are three kinds of supply in WitE, fuel, ammo & general supply. Every unit in the game has particular requirements for each of these supply types. Units consume fuel when the move (or planes fly), ammo when they fight and general supply for a variety of purposes including the obvious rations.

When units consume more supplies than their supply requirements they must be re-supplied. Units draw supplies from their HQs or directly from a rail head if it is closer. Units can draw supplies up to 5 hexes (or 20 motorized movement points) from an HQ or rail head. HQs can draw supply up to 25 hexes (or 100 motorized movement points) from a rail head. The combined rail head to HQ to unit supply line cannot exceed 100 motorized movement points. HQs cannot supply other HQs.

Units within 6 hexes of a supply source get the full amount of available supply. Beyond that range supply is progressively deceased. Units low on supply have reduced movement ability (ground units) and are less combat effective (all units). Units beyond supply range or isolated are severely effected in both movement and combat.

Partisans can "interdict" supplies by damaging rail lines and supplies can be destroyed by bombing the HQ but in general the Eastern Front is just too big a place for either of these methods to be terribly effective.

(in reply to Jeffrey H.)
Post #: 45
RE: War in the East Q&A - 9/4/2009 6:57:06 PM   
jaw

quote:

Is there a morale factor in the game, either national morale or unit´s fighting morale?

Yes to both.

Post #: 46
RE: War in the East Q&A - 9/4/2009 7:05:25 PM   
jaw

quote:

ORIGINAL: Walloc

quote:

No combat units (units that appear on the map) are smaller than a regiment. Units which upgrade to a larger formation or any unit understrength which receives replacement will take a hit to their experience ratings.

How if at all are independent batalions represented?
Tiger btl's, Sturm Abt.(stug btl's) all the different Pz Jgd Abt's. In essence if not so in name the independent russian tank bde had around the same number of tanks as german independent btl's.

Kind regards,

Rasmus

Battalion (and regimental for Soviet) size units appear as support units attached to the various headquarters. You can also attach a support unit to a combat unit (regiment/brigade or larger). What really defines the difference between support units and combat units is how self contained they are, not their size. A tiger battalion for example is pure tanks without any other supporting units while a Russian tank brigade is a combined arms unit with infantry and heavy weapons in addition to its tanks.

(in reply to Walloc)
Post #: 47
RE: War in the East Q&A - 9/4/2009 7:13:42 PM   
jaw

quote:

quote:

quote:

Thanks for the answer.

Is there a chance that an active partisan cell can be completely wiped out or will they always relocate and rebuild?

Does Axis activity (transiting units, security sweeps etc) in the area of an inactive cell effect the rate at which the cell becomes operational?

To "wipe one out" you would have to occupied every hex in a 12 hex radius with units or zones of control. I doubt most players could find the units or the inclination to do that.

There is a garrison requirement in the game and if you're able to fulfill it you make partisan creation very difficult. The problem with fulfilling the requirement of course is that the partisans in your rear are marginally effective and the Red Army in front of you is orders of magnitude more effective. Where do you want your troops? Beating the bushes for partisans or standing on that thin blue/gray line?

Post #: 48
RE: War in the East Q&A - 9/4/2009 7:20:58 PM   
jaw

quote:

ORIGINAL: Muzrub

Thanks for answering my earlier questions,

Here's another- I would imagine that the Warsaw Uprising would be represented somehow in the game.
Would the trigger for this event be based on historical time-line, or the proximity of the Russian forces?

Seeing as the trigger for the event was partly based on proximity historically- how would the game deal with that?

Cheers
jamie

No, the Warsaw uprising is not in the campaign game. Neither the forces involved nor the combat actions could be modeled at the scale of a divisional level/10 mile to the hex/one week turn game. However scenario designs might do something special for scenario covering just that period.

(in reply to Muzrub)
Post #: 49
RE: War in the East Q&A - 9/4/2009 7:26:20 PM   
Jeffrey H.

quote:

quote:

In other games I've played, the SS units are given a more effective radius when supressing partisan activity. Is this going to be the case in this game ?

Ron Swanson

(in reply to jaw)
Post #: 50
RE: War in the East Q&A - 9/4/2009 7:39:41 PM   
Jeffrey H.

quote:

quote:

Supply in WitE is a very complicated and involved process that would take pages to describe in detail so I will just give you the gist of it here.

There are three kinds of supply in WitE, fuel, ammo & general supply. Every unit in the game has particular requirements for each of these supply types. Units consume fuel when the move (or planes fly), ammo when they fight and general supply for a variety of purposes including the obvious rations.

When units consume more supplies than their supply requirements they must be re-supplied. Units draw supplies from their HQs or directly from a rail head if it is closer. Units can draw supplies up to 5 hexes (or 20 motorized movement points) from an HQ or rail head. HQs can draw supply up to 25 hexes (or 100 motorized movement points) from a rail head. The combined rail head to HQ to unit supply line cannot exceed 100 motorized movement points. HQs cannot supply other HQs.

Units within 6 hexes of a supply source get the full amount of available supply. Beyond that range supply is progressively deceased. Units low on supply have reduced movement ability (ground units) and are less combat effective (all units). Units beyond supply range or isolated are severely effected in both movement and combat.

Partisans can "interdict" supplies by damaging rail lines and supplies can be destroyed by bombing the HQ but in general the Eastern Front is just too big a place for either of these methods to be terribly effective.

Ok, so the capacity of the individual supply sources and/or the ultimate "National" supply capacity is infinite ?

The interdiction role of airpower was something that is in the current MWiR but I never really understood how it worked. Are you saying that there is no possibility of interdiction by using airpower in this game ?

Ron Swanson

(in reply to jaw)
Post #: 51
RE: War in the East Q&A - 9/4/2009 8:49:05 PM   
jaw

quote:

quote:

quote:

In other games I've played, the SS units are given a more effective radius when supressing partisan activity. Is this going to be the case in this game ?

Currently there is no anti-partisan bonus for being SS. From a practical point of view unless you're referring to the really crappy SS Grenadier divisions, no player in his right mind would every waste a "real" SS division hunting partisans.

(in reply to Jeffrey H.)
Post #: 52
RE: War in the East Q&A - 9/4/2009 8:57:26 PM   
jaw

quote:

quote:

quote:

Ok, so the capacity of the individual supply sources and/or the ultimate "National" supply capacity is infinite ?

The interdiction role of airpower was something that is in the current MWiR but I never really understood how it worked. Are you saying that there is no possibility of interdiction by using airpower in this game ?

No, supply is not infinite. The production system produces a set amount of supplies each turn and your usage can exceed that amount. If demand exceeds production, units make do with what they get. Supply is obviously a much bigger problem for the Axis than it is for the Russians. The lure to go south after those production resources, especially oil, will be irresistable.

Air units can interdict the movement of ground units (including HQs) but supply has no "physical presence" on the map so you can't interdict it directly.

(in reply to Jeffrey H.)
Post #: 53
RE: War in the East Q&A - 9/4/2009 9:07:56 PM   
Hard Sarge

what the parent HQs ?

LI Korps/6th Army/Army Group South ?

(in reply to jaw)
Post #: 54
RE: War in the East Q&A - 9/4/2009 9:15:54 PM   
Hard Sarge

Currently there is no anti-partisan bonus for being SS. From a practical point of view unless you're referring to the really crappy SS Grenadier divisions, no player in his right mind would every waste a "real" SS division hunting partisans.

you do have sec Troops which are better at hunting the Partisans, use them for Garrison and to hunt

(in reply to Hard Sarge)
Post #: 55
RE: War in the East Q&A - 9/4/2009 9:19:13 PM   
jaw

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hard Sarge

what the parent HQs ?

Most units are attached to either a corps HQ or (Soviet) army HQ. Supply goes straight from rail head to the HQ. There is no movement of supply between HQs. In your example above LI corps supplies the divisions attached to it. Although 6th Army and Army Group South draw supply, they would only supply divisions directly attached to them.

(in reply to Hard Sarge)
Post #: 56
RE: War in the East Q&A - 9/4/2009 9:23:01 PM   
jaw

quote:

you do have sec Troops which are better at hunting the Partisans, use them for Garrison and to hunt

Yes there are security divisons but it's not that they're better at hunting partisans than any other unit (they're not), it's just that they're not much good for anything else. The non-Finnish Axis Allies are also best hunting partisans since if they're destroyed in combat they won't come back.

(in reply to Hard Sarge)
Post #: 57
RE: War in the East Q&A - 9/4/2009 9:39:43 PM   
Hard Sarge

quote:

quote:

what the parent HQs ?

Most units are attached to either a corps HQ or (Soviet) army HQ. Supply goes straight from rail head to the HQ. There is no movement of supply between HQs. In your example above LI corps supplies the divisions attached to it. Although 6th Army and Army Group South draw supply, they would only supply divisions directly attached to them.

kind of strange thinking then, since the parent HQ is where most of the Log support would be at ?, Korps would have just the basic set up to pass the supplies on, the supplies would come from the parent

(in reply to jaw)
Post #: 58
RE: War in the East Q&A - 9/4/2009 9:40:08 PM   
Hard Sarge

quote:

quote:

Yes there are security divisons but it's not that they're better at hunting partisans than any other unit (they're not), it's just that they're not much good for anything else. The non-Finnish Axis Allies are also best hunting partisans since if they're destroyed in combat they won't come back.

okay, you say so, guess we were misinformed then

(in reply to jaw)
Post #: 59
RE: War in the East Q&A - 9/4/2009 10:00:22 PM   
Lascar

Will there be restrictions on units of different nationalities from cooperating with one another? For example, will the Romanians and Hungarians be prohibited from stacking together or even being adjacent with one another (i.e. Italian 8th army deployed between Hungarian 2nd and Romanian 3rd armies)

(in reply to jaw)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> RE: War in the East Q&A Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI