Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: War in the East Q&A

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> RE: War in the East Q&A Page: <<   < prev  18 19 [20] 21 22   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: War in the East Q&A - 3/30/2010 7:24:21 PM   
Capt Cliff

quote:

ORIGINAL: Neal_MLC

After reading the AARs and several other threads there is no doubt that I will be purchasing this game when it is available. My questions is how much will it cost? I have set aside$100.00 for this game. Is this a reasonable amount or could it be more?

Good question. I assume it will be priced like WitP or around $75.00. Anything nearing $100 will limit it's sales. Even $75.00 in these economic time might be too much.

I never bought WitP for $75, had issues with the game system from Uncommon Valor that were never addressed. But The Admiral edition is looking tempting.

Capt. Cliff

(in reply to Neal_MLC)
Post #: 571
RE: War in the East Q&A - 3/30/2010 8:26:31 PM   
Joel Billings

I expect it to be under $100. It's likely to be in the WitP AE ball park as it's another monster game.

(in reply to Capt Cliff)
Post #: 572
RE: War in the East Q&A - 3/30/2010 11:50:34 PM   
wodin

quote:

ORIGINAL: elmo3

Yes there is a lot going on "under the hood".  You can see some of it by turning up the battle reporting detail level but that can really make battles take a long time to resolve.

Any chance of a screenshot of a battle report?

The following replies to my question have made me drool...to know everything is being taken into account for me is mind blowing.
I will purchase this game no matter the cost. I begrudge paying to much for games unless they are everything I desire in a genre and this is it.

(in reply to elmo3)
Post #: 573
RE: War in the East Q&A - 3/31/2010 12:26:21 AM   
elmo3

Look through my AAR.  I'm sure there are battle reports posted there.

We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. - George Bernard Shaw

WitE alpha/beta tester
Sanctus Reach beta tester
Desert War 1940-42 beta tester

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 574
RE: War in the East Q&A - 3/31/2010 8:17:36 AM   
wodin

Oh I havent seen a detailed battle report yet only the one wih gives casualties overall...not what was happening during the battle...will check out the AAR.

Maybe I've got the wrong end of the stick....I thought you could get a battle report as the battle unfolds not just at the end with the casualties and result.

(in reply to elmo3)
Post #: 575
RE: War in the East Q&A - 3/31/2010 10:32:16 AM   
elmo3

Yes, if you set it to the higher levels of detail it will tell you more about the battle as it happens.  Those higher level shots are not in my AAR as it would involve trying to capture multiple screen shots in a short period of time and I don't have software to do that.  I'll try to post a shot or two to give you an idea of how the whole thing would look later today.

We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. - George Bernard Shaw

WitE alpha/beta tester
Sanctus Reach beta tester
Desert War 1940-42 beta tester

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 576
RE: War in the East Q&A - 3/31/2010 12:29:00 PM   
wodin

quote:

ORIGINAL: elmo3

Yes, if you set it to the higher levels of detail it will tell you more about the battle as it happens.  Those higher level shots are not in my AAR as it would involve trying to capture multiple screen shots in a short period of time and I don't have software to do that.  I'll try to post a shot or two to give you an idea of how the whole thing would look later today.

Thanks very much...just what I wanted to see.

(in reply to elmo3)
Post #: 577
RE: War in the East Q&A - 3/31/2010 12:52:41 PM   
wiking62

quote:

ORIGINAL: Joel Billings

I expect it to be under $100. It's likely to be in the WitP AE ball park as it's another monster game.

£49.99 for a digital download is a hell of a lot of money, even if it is a "monster game". This level of pricing limits the games sales in my opinion. We all understand the high level of development that goes into these games, but i think Matrix's pricing policy is on the high side. Even though i really want this game, i will not pay that much. Personally i believe £39.99 is far more realistic especially in todays depressed market conditions.

(in reply to Joel Billings)
Post #: 578
RE: War in the East Q&A - 3/31/2010 4:39:05 PM   
pompack

quote:

ORIGINAL: hart2412

quote:

£49.99 for a digital download is a hell of a lot of money, even if it is a "monster game". This level of pricing limits the games sales in my opinion. We all understand the high level of development that goes into these games, but i think Matrix's pricing policy is on the high side. Even though i really want this game, i will not pay that much. Personally i believe £39.99 is far more realistic especially in todays depressed market conditions.

Yes, but the "monster game" is only part of it. If you plan to sell two million units you can afford to set a lower price than a game that will be very lucky to sell 10,000 units. I would love to be surprised by larger sales figures (if only to encourage people to create more games) but I doubt that any one will get rich from inventing/developing/marketing this game.

As to the worth of a game, I prefer to look at cost/player-hour. For example, my copy of EU III was $20.00 and I played it for somewhat less than 200 hours for a cost of $0.10/hour (and EU III is a good game; I have more than one game that cost well above $1.00/hour because the game sucked). Some years ago now I paid $75.00 for WitP and after 8000 hours I stopped even trying to keep track of playing time with a cost of less than $0.01/hour.

My message here is you have to consider more than just the cost of the game; you have to look at what you will get out of it. So to some (most) people, WitE will not be worth the price and they will not buy it. I personally would pay far more than this price and consider it a bargain; different people have different tastes and (perhaps more importantly) more time to play the game.

(in reply to wiking62)
Post #: 579
RE: War in the East Q&A - 3/31/2010 7:13:52 PM   
Capt Cliff

quote:

Thanks Joel!!

Ok ... all you married guy's listen up ... double that number for chocolate, flowers and dinner for "She who must be obeyed" ... if the game is really good triple it!! That is all.

Capt. Cliff

(in reply to Joel Billings)
Post #: 580
RE: War in the East Q&A - 3/31/2010 7:24:48 PM   
PyleDriver

The last time I took Sandra out it was 60 dollars, so go figure...And it was three hours...

Jon Pyle
AWD Beta tester
WBTS Alpha tester
WitE Alpha tester
WitW Alpha tester
WitE2 Alpha tester

(in reply to Capt Cliff)
Post #: 581
RE: War in the East Q&A - 3/31/2010 7:29:56 PM   
latosusi

Hahah!

(in reply to PyleDriver)
Post #: 582
RE: War in the East Q&A - 3/31/2010 8:46:48 PM   
wiking62

I here what you are all saying. When Avalon Hills "The Longest Day" came out i paid £48.00 for it in about 1979/80. That was a lot of money then, but look what you got for the money, a beautiful set of map boards, thousands of counters and countless player aid cards etc. This game was truely a work of art and one which i still play today.

I pay £29.99 for each of the HPS Panzer Campaign titles (available for $39.99 to $49.99 in the States) which i consider to be reasonable value. I know that WitE is a more complex/larger game scale, but the point i am trying to make is that £49.99 is a lot of money for a digital download (£54.99 for physical shipment). I firmly believe that a keener pricing policy would see more units of this game shipped. These games are never going to sell one million units because we wargamers are a relatively small niche market. Matrix need to find the right balance, but i tend to think that their prices are on the high side in the European market. Many of my fellow wargamers have all been following this game with great interest, however to a man we have all expressed concerns about the price. I am talking of seventeen wargamers who i regulary meet and play against, which is a sizeable local group of gamers.

Anyway, at the end of the day i suppose we all make our own choice as to what we belive is good value for money.

(in reply to latosusi)
Post #: 583
RE: War in the East Q&A - 3/31/2010 8:54:34 PM   
malfid

hart2412:

In Australia, a mainstream retail release of an AA+ title (say, for example, Call of Duty) will set you back $99.95 AUD - or just over $90 USD. I paid $109.95 AUD for the standard edition of Dragon Age: Origins.

You may begin counting your lucky stars, now.

(There are titles coming out for $79.95-$89.95 more recently, depending on the publisher - and we're thankful for it... That should say a lot!)

(in reply to wiking62)
Post #: 584
RE: War in the East Q&A - 3/31/2010 9:13:07 PM   
wiking62

quote:

ORIGINAL: malfid

hart2412:

In Australia, a mainstream retail release of an AA+ title (say, for example, Call of Duty) will set you back $99.95 AUD - or just over $90 USD. I paid $109.95 AUD for the standard edition of Dragon Age: Origins.

You may begin counting your lucky stars, now.

(There are titles coming out for $79.95-$89.95 more recently, depending on the publisher - and we're thankful for it... That should say a lot!)

I'm currently working on a large project for Western Star in Queensland and those guys are screwing us for every dollar they can.

Perhaps the only people who make money in Oz and the game retailers!

Seriously though, it looks like you get screwed the same as us over here in Europe. We pay about £49.99 for Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 on release, but if you shop around we can get it for about £34.99 on release.

(in reply to malfid)
Post #: 585
RE: War in the East Q&A - 3/31/2010 9:24:58 PM   
malfid

Hey, at least it's given me an excuse to use that VISA debit card I've got stashed, around here somewhere. Amazon/digital purchases are saving me some may-jah doll-ah!

Queensland... figures! Victoria is where it's at. They still screw you for every dollar they can, though.

(in reply to wiking62)
Post #: 586
RE: War in the East Q&A - 3/31/2010 10:43:18 PM   
PyleDriver

Well how long ago did WitP release. Joel may slap me, but he said the price "may" be near the same. So inflation included its build in...

Jon Pyle
AWD Beta tester
WBTS Alpha tester
WitE Alpha tester
WitW Alpha tester
WitE2 Alpha tester

(in reply to malfid)
Post #: 587
RE: War in the East Q&A - 4/1/2010 12:26:00 AM   
wodin

Hart2412...I understand what your saying however as its a niche game then you have expect a higher price (call it an exculsive game if you like). Also yes you pay £34.99 for CoD Modern Warare 2 and get what 20 hours out of it if your lucky.. A game like this one here would give you 100 hrs plus. So it is less than a pouind an hour....what other entertainment costs less than a pound an hour? The pictures cost £8 for a two hour film!

So I see it like that....if I know the game will give me on the whole less than a pound per hours worth of fun\entertainment then Im happy. I see it as good value

Blimey those who have a PS3 have to pay 49.99 for a new release no matter what sort of game it is and I'm sure many are dire. Also some people pay that price for an FPS game on a console which they finish in about 15 hours...that for me is a waste of money..

Just noticed I should have said I agree with pompack...instead of a waffle...

< Message edited by wodin -- 4/1/2010 6:28:29 AM >

(in reply to PyleDriver)
Post #: 588
RE: War in the East Q&A - 4/1/2010 3:22:32 AM   
kfmiller41

I agree with pompack, on a cost per time played basis WITP was the cheapest game I have ever played. I guess buying it depends on your want's. This may be the last really good east front monster game to come out for a long while, and some of us are not getting any younger so I am surely going to buy it

You have the ability to arouse various emotions in me: please select carefully.

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 589
RE: War in the East Q&A - 4/1/2010 5:15:35 AM   
freeboy

regarding the comment for digital vs phisical.. the designers and marketing people are not making more by selling you a dl, It costs money to support the pipeline aka dr or steam or whomever, so we are looking at an under 100$ title which in 1980 dollars would be what 55$? Heck, I remember getting a graphics card just to run the old atomic games for that much, dinner and a movie? see my point?
If it is a game you do not value, I could list a dozen lemmings from the last few years several from M, then sure, any amount is too much, but this promisses to be a GG opus, I sure hope so...

(in reply to kfmiller41)
Post #: 590
RE: War in the East Q&A - 4/1/2010 12:13:25 PM   
SGHunt

I see my £55 as part of my investment towards my retirement!!!!    And much better VFM than the financial instruments they try and flog us....

Stuart

Stuart 'von Jaeger' Hunt

WitE Alpha, Beta Tester

(in reply to freeboy)
Post #: 591
RE: War in the East Q&A - 4/1/2010 12:35:53 PM   
FM WarB

For me, the cost of a game includes the books on the topic I feel compelled to buy. My Ostfront library is rather incomplete.

(in reply to SGHunt)
Post #: 592
RE: War in the East Q&A - 4/1/2010 12:50:22 PM   
wiking62

quote:

ORIGINAL: freeboy

If it is a game you do not value, I could list a dozen lemmings from the last few years several from M, then sure, any amount is too much, but this promisses to be a GG opus, I sure hope so...

My pricing comments have in part been based on previous games that i have purchased from Matrix. Paid out a lot of money for games that have just not been up to it. Despite the price issue i will probably still buy this game because it is one that i have always been hoping for, like everyone else.

I may just wait a couple weeks, post release, to see what kind of reviews it gets, however all the AAR's and additional information point to the fact that it is going to be a classic.

(in reply to freeboy)
Post #: 593
RE: War in the East Q&A - 4/1/2010 1:05:39 PM   
BigDuke66

All this price discussion should be moved to a new thread, it doesn't realy belong in an Q & A Thread.

(in reply to wiking62)
Post #: 594
RE: War in the East Q&A - 4/1/2010 7:06:17 PM   
Capt Cliff

quote:

ORIGINAL: BigDuke66

All this price discussion should be moved to a new thread, it doesn't realy belong in an Q & A Thread.

I seocnd this motion! All in favor?

Capt. Cliff

(in reply to BigDuke66)
Post #: 595
RE: War in the East Q&A - 4/4/2010 12:16:45 PM   
ComradeP

If, for some reason, Soviet Tank divisions survive 1941, how many are needed to form a Tank Corps?

(in reply to Capt Cliff)
Post #: 596
RE: War in the East Q&A - 4/4/2010 12:36:02 PM   
Hard Sarge

they don't survive

Sept 41, they break down into Brigs

(i'd have to get back to you on the rest, rules, OOB keep changeing, HARD to keep up and be sure)

(in reply to ComradeP)
Post #: 597
RE: War in the East Q&A - 4/7/2010 2:44:22 AM   
zbig

Do the movement points on the counters decrease as the unit moves?

(in reply to Hard Sarge)
Post #: 598
RE: War in the East Q&A - 4/7/2010 7:49:48 AM   
comte

Probably been asked already but are NKVD units in the game?

But when Territories are acquired in regions where there are differences in language, customs, and laws then great good fortune and much hard work are required to hold them.

-Machiavelli, Il Principe, Book III-

(in reply to zbig)
Post #: 599
RE: War in the East Q&A - 4/7/2010 10:00:57 AM   
Helpless

quote:

Probably been asked already but are NKVD units in the game?

Yes, it's been discussed before.

There are some NKVD border security regiments and some very minor amount of NKVD rifle divisions when war starts.

Pavel Zagzin
WITE/WITW/WITE-2 Development

(in reply to comte)
Post #: 600
Page:   <<   < prev  18 19 [20] 21 22   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> RE: War in the East Q&A Page: <<   < prev  18 19 [20] 21 22   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI